PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a 7000 sq ft Lawn, Mow, Blow and Go?

customcurbdesigns
02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Its about 14 miles from my house, very new higher end subdivision. I dont have any business in the neighborhood but I have done a few curb jobs in there.

Would you do a mow, blow and go for 80.00 per month?

I quoted 100.00 and he pays 90 now and all he wants to pay is 80? Would you do it to try to get more biz in the area or just forget about it?

Thanks

corey4671
02-28-2008, 09:21 PM
you quoted $100. He is willing to pay $90. He WANTS to pay $80. I WANT to pay less for my light bill and water bill and groceries. Problem is I have to pay whatever the cost is. Do you realize if you go through with this you will have cut your quote by 20%? You know he's gonna tell all his neighbors the kind of deal he was able to get out of you. They will all try to negotiate as well. No Deal Howie!

Weekes
02-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Do you really want to cut a lawn double the size a normal residential for $20 a cut?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
At first, I thought I saw $80 per cut and for 7K sq ft I was like WOW nice price to get!
Then I saw PER MONTH?!?
Yikes...even at $100 per month thats just $25 per cut (or less with 5 week months) and that would be the flat out bare min I would get for a 1/4 acre lot.

grassman177
02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
that is a small yeard here, must suck to be in utah. my own lawn is 9000 ftsq. i manage average 10-25k lawns. and lots say bigger than that. i dont cut any lawn for less that 30, most are 35 for small 7,8 ,9k lawns. then it goes up. that is too low, dont do it dude

DISTURBEDSMR
02-28-2008, 09:31 PM
yeah thats all we get here in Mexico I mean Florida as for taking the job to me it is not really the square footage but how long does it take you to mow it and get your hourly rate my lawn is 7000 and by myself mow edge weedeat blow 25 mins. But if you talk to him and see if some of his neighbors would be interested you can do great I would want 100 also but if you can get a couple it is worth it.

customcurbdesigns
02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
At first, I thought I saw $80 per cut and for 7K sq ft I was like WOW nice price to get!
Then I saw PER MONTH?!?
Yikes...even at $100 per month thats just $25 per cut (or less with 5 week months) and that would be the flat out bare min I would get for a 1/4 acre lot.

Ya, its really low. The only reason I even considered it is because I would like to get into the neighborhood.

It actully might be a tad bigger then that too. Wonder if I should do it or not...any more thoughts?

Weekes
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Find other ways to get into a neighborhood. Don't undersell yourself, my recommendation. You also mentioned it was currently a travel from other locations you have. At $20 your already at a loss, then if you don't get others you are a t a real lose out there.

customcurbdesigns
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
yeah thats all we get here in Mexico I mean Florida as for taking the job to me it is not really the square footage but how long does it take you to mow it and get your hourly rate my lawn is 7000 and by myself mow edge weedeat blow 25 mins. But if you talk to him and see if some of his neighbors would be interested you can do great I would want 100 also but if you can get a couple it is worth it.

:laugh:

Thats what I thought. I mean its not ideal but I can always bump him a little on other services. He does want curbing done in May so I am already making $$$ on that. I just want to do it to get others in the neighborhood. That was my guess, by myself I can prolly knock it out in about 30 mins. I am gonna try hard to nail others in the neighborhood.

davidcentralflorida
02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
where exactly is it

customcurbdesigns
02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
where exactly is it

Pasco county...wilderness lake preserve...I looked up the lot, its actully 165x65...so its more like 10,000 sq ft...Now I think its really not worth it...prolly why the guy that does it for 90 doesnt do a very good job. 100.00 it would be worth it but not for 80.00...

Should i skip it?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Heck you obviously want it, tell him you'll meet in the middle at $85. He'll still feel like he got a good deal since he knocked you down but you'll atleast make a few more bucks to put towards gas.

DISTURBEDSMR
02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Why is he looking for someone else just for a cheaper price or poor service that is the best question because if it is price he is going to look after you start probably. I would tell him $90 a month and let your quality shine.I do a yard for 75 a month but it takes me and a helper exactly 9 minutes from truck door open till truck door closed. If you don't time yourself like this on every job you should to see where you are making your money. I quoted a lady today 130 for about 1200 sq ft start next week and she gave me three of her childrens address to quote tomorrow all same neighborhood. The street she lives on I already do 6 houses and my quality shows. She didn't even question my price.

customcurbdesigns
02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Why is he looking for someone else just for a cheaper price or poor service that is the best question because if it is price he is going to look after you start probably. I would tell him $90 a month and let your quality shine.I do a yard for 75 a month but it takes me and a helper exactly 9 minutes from truck door open till truck door closed. If you don't time yourself like this on every job you should to see where you are making your money. I quoted a lady today 130 for about 1200 sq ft start next week and she gave me three of her childrens address to quote tomorrow all same neighborhood. The street she lives on I already do 6 houses and my quality shows. She didn't even question my price.

Hes not unhappy with the service, although he seems kinda like a pain. Hes retired, always home, prolly always watchful, etc.

He is trying to save money here and there on a monthly basis I guess...So I am still up in the air on what to do.

imow in NC
02-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Its about 14 miles from my house, very new higher end subdivision. I dont have any business in the neighborhood but I have done a few curb jobs in there.

Would you do a mow, blow and go for 80.00 per month?

I quoted 100.00 and he pays 90 now and all he wants to pay is 80? Would you do it to try to get more biz in the area or just forget about it?

Thanks
Sounds like a tire kicker to me. Me, I charge minimum of 40.00 per yard per mow. (thats mow, blow and trim). Now with him paying 90 and wanting to pay 80, well this is the reason he lives where he lives. Hold your chin up high, look him dead in the eye and let him know, you can't buy a good steak cheap and a cheap steak isn't good!

IMO....

abuckeye
02-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Heck you obviously want it, tell him you'll meet in the middle at $85. He'll still feel like he got a good deal since he knocked you down but you'll atleast make a few more bucks to put towards gas.

Why would you want to work that hard for so little profit? Gas alone will eat you alive. At 3.10/ gal. here, if you get 10 mpg and its 14 miles that is 8.68 per trip, let alone 34.72 for the month at 4 weeks. Not to mention the mower gas, insurance, and other operating expenses. How much do you really make??
Just my .02

Weekes
02-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Hes not unhappy with the service, although he seems kinda like a pain. Hes retired, always home, prolly always watchful, etc.

He is trying to save money here and there on a monthly basis I guess...So I am still up in the air on what to do.

Run away fast nothing worse than a cheap "seems kinda like a pain, retired, always home, prolly always watchful" customer. I avoid those even if the pay decent.

kleankutslawn
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
you guys have to realize that is close to the going rate here in Tampa.

Green Pastures
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't negotiate my pricing structure with a possible client.

touhey33
02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
How long does it take to mow, I'd probably charge 25 a cut, but if it only takes 10-15 minutes at 20 dollars per cut, thats still 80 dollars an hour, of course that doesn't include drive time, but all you need is a couple more accounts in that area to make it worth your while.

tamadrummer
02-28-2008, 10:16 PM

Not so much because of the price but because of the fact that he will be watching you constantly!

NO THANKS!! Do the curbing and be done with him!

d&rlawncare
02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Tell him $85 only if he gets 3 referals and they will all be $90. Then it MIGHT be worth it. Let him do the work getting the referals.

nosparkplugs
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I would have to pass, my residential contracts are all over $100.00 per month

davidcentralflorida
02-28-2008, 10:58 PM
i would probably do it;
1 its 80 bucks monthly, im here in fl with you, thats not horrible
2 its in a nice nieghborhood, good work shines
3 more work was talked about, the curbing
4 your not carring a full schedule, or you would not have been looking when you found him
5 if it aint working out, drop him, if it does you have 960 more a year

so.... all considered id give it a shot. good luck, david

kleankutslawn
02-28-2008, 11:01 PM
i would probably do it;
1 its 80 bucks monthly, im here in fl with you, thats not horrible
2 its in a nice nieghborhood, good work shines
3 more work was talked about, the curbing
4 your not carring a full schedule, or you would not have been looking when you found him
5 if it aint working out, drop him, if it does you have 960 more a year

so.... all considered id give it a shot. good luck, david

couldn't have said it better myself!

Weekes
02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I do understand the going rate thing, so some of my previous comments my not apply.

BUT

You said he might be a pain I would not mow a lawn for the bottom of my area going rate for someone who is a pain. It is not worth it.

greenbaylawns
02-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm gunna try that at the pumps next week. Gas 3.25 I'll give ya 2.50 :) Do what you gota do. Maybe you'll get more accounts? (Or ask if you can put a sign in the yard for a few weeks)

02-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I would not drive 14 miles for 80 bucks. Isnt there a new subdivision closer to home you could get into?

Tell him you will do it for $85 IF he can get you 2 other neighbors, or IF you can put your sign in his yard. Other wise, not worth it for one customer.

coonman
02-29-2008, 12:46 AM
No way would I drive that far to get underpaid, stick to your guns. Don't sell yourself short. I know the prices are different everywhere but I get 30-35 for lawns smaller than that all day long.

kleankutslawn
02-29-2008, 06:13 AM
if you do the math it is not $20 a cut@$80 a month.remember in Nov-March he will only be going there once or twice a month

Sammy
02-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Pass on this job, sounds like it will be a PITA customer.

IndyChad
02-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Would not even think about taking this client. I know you want to get in the neighborhood, but what happens when the other neighbors ask him how much he pays you and he says " Well he wanted $100/month but I got him down to $80/month." Every neighbor you give an estimate to will try and get you to go lower on your price, how fun would that be? If that is the going rate in FL, how are you even breaking even with liability ins., workers comp, gas, admin cost, truck/machine repair. etc. NO WAY.

LindblomRJ
02-29-2008, 06:59 AM
You quoted him a price, he tries to negotiate. Its out of the way. Even if you were to get the account at the $80 and say you do a great job he tell his neighbors the main talking point is going to be your price, not your work.

Either he pays your price, or he finds someone else.

yamadooski
02-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I would run as fast as you can from Wilderness Lakes. We were in there. Everyone in there is really cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you do it for 80.00 then he will get someone to do it for less the next time and then the next.
Dont even think about picking up more and raising the rates it wont happen. Word spreads from one neighbor to the other and when you quote a higher price you will be asked why and then when you will be forced to give them all the same price just to make it worth your while to go there.

If you do, do it for 80.00 you can now call yourself a lowballer and join the ranks in New Tampa. The lowball haven of the Tampa area.

yamadooski
02-29-2008, 07:21 AM
80.00 a month and 42 cuts a year its 22.00 per cut.
Now that is a classic example of the lowball method in the Tampa area.
There are 2 Tampa guys on here that say go ahead and do it help drive the price down more. When I and the rest of the country tell you not to.

Like I said I was in there once and go out fast cause everyone wanted a low price.

IF you want to work cheap I will tell you every sub in the new Tampa that I lost yards to lowballers. And I can give you address and prices too.
How? because I ask why they are cancelling and then ask how much then I record.
One day Im thinking of putting the whole list together and selling it. I know some Tampa lowballer will buy it.

IndyChad
02-29-2008, 07:26 AM
I was hoping there was someone in the Tampa area with some Kahones!! Set a respectable price and get paid as a business owner and not a scrub.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I would not touch it! When he has someone already doing a decent job and is looking for cheaper that should tell you something about him, you will be gone next, not to mention the gas to drive there. Also YOU and YOU alone set your price, not the client. That ends my conversation real fast with someone when they tell me what they will pay, I'm outa here fast! Dang, Tampa must be worse than Blackshear and Waycross. I would not drive 14 miles for any size yard for less than 60 bucks per cut! The gas alone would cost me 7.25. I think even your 100 price is on the low side.

customcurbdesigns
02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I would run as fast as you can from Wilderness Lakes. We were in there. Everyone in there is really cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you do it for 80.00 then he will get someone to do it for less the next time and then the next.
Dont even think about picking up more and raising the rates it wont happen. Word spreads from one neighbor to the other and when you quote a higher price you will be asked why and then when you will be forced to give them all the same price just to make it worth your while to go there.

If you do, do it for 80.00 you can now call yourself a lowballer and join the ranks in New Tampa. The lowball haven of the Tampa area.

Funny you say that, I live in New tampa. I am in cory lake isles on cross creek.

I know what you mean. Most lots in new tampa are done for like 60-65 and the max you can get around here is about 80. Luckily I live here so its not a drive for me.

As far as wilderness, I hear what your saying, I did curbing, asked the customer about his lawn care as he just moved in. He said his neighbor pays 50.00 a month... Well needless to say, I saw who was doing it for 50.00 and I wasnt suprised to say the least.

The guy was a joke, he wandered around, had to figure out what to do, he was there for almost an hr on a 4000 sq ft lot so I know hes not making any money..not at 50.00 a month...thats crazy..

So I am with you guys, I think I will pass as Diesel alone would cost me 10.00 just to get there and back. Not worth it..the guy seems like a pain too..:laugh:

BeautifulBlooms
02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Lets see your costs

$3 in fuel to get there,
$3 in fuel to return (unless you have others very closeby)
$1 in mower maintenance expenses and fuel
$20-30 in labor (assuming a $45 per man per hour price)
$1 in truck and trailer expenses

Your cost may be less than this if you have less equipment, cheaper equipment etc. but for me I wouldnt touch that lawn for less than $45 assuming it is 15 minutes away from the next closest place. It may only take 20 minutes to mow trim and go but its gonna take you at least 30 minutes to get there and back (again assuming 15minutes is the next closest place on that route)

Ric3077
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
that sounds way low...I know in FL the prices are almost free..but man I would get $40-$45 per cut for that.

tamadrummer
02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
that sounds way low...I know in FL the prices are almost free..but man I would get $40-$45 per cut for that.

That is a wonderful idea but I have found so far that it is not so simple.

I have a couple of customers that will pay what is expected and then others that balk at allowing me to breathe on their property....

I am finding that with the prices that are the "going rate" here it is very important to keep an extremely tight route and not market yourself 15 or 20 miles out. With my door hangers and post cards, I have not gone anymore than 8 miles in any direction from my house. There are new developments every where here.

Now I don't know if I am doing the right thing or not because I can't pay someone to let me cut their grass right now but it is still winter here and so everyone will push their own mower right now.

CustomCurb, You live right around the corner from me. Two of my doctors live in Corey Lake Isles, if you get me your contact info, I will talk to them for you when I go in to see if they are looking for a lawn service. I see one in March and the other in April.

DFLS
02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
7000 ft. That's 100 x 70. Not very big. I could do that in 20 mins., in and out. Get 2 neighbors probably same size, that's 3 in an hour @ $25 each = $75 for the hour. The more you get in a cluster = less time loading and driving. If you need the work then yes and when you do a good job you can raise prices next season. If you don't need the work then wait for better opportunities. As you acquire good profitable accounts you can weed out the pita's by raising prices. If they accept the price increase then it feels better to keep mowing, then try another increase next year. Sometimes the pita's become the silver mines.

HOOLIE
02-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I've never quite gotten the whole "I want to get into this neighborhood" mentality. Especially when the first attempt to get it yields someone trying to drive your price down.

Some of the best developments I find are the older, less flashy looking 'hoods. People there have smaller mortgages overall, and more money to spend. It's not all about how much the houses are valued at.