PDA

View Full Version : Bob Walker

LawnPro19
02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
We had an expo here in louisiana yesterday, and Bob Walker was there i was able to talk in depth with him about walker mower and whats to come.... very nice guy... we talked alot about the new 31hp with the 52 ghs deck and the reasoning behind the blades rotating opposite to the other ghs decks..that thing is a beast.. also the super b very nice machine... he also told me about some new engine options that may soon be available for the super b (hint, diesel), he also talked about some new decks in production for next year... anywayz just wanted to share my experience!

millenium_123
02-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Proffitts Lawn & Leisure where I shop all the time just opened a second huge location here in town. They are having a big grand opening sale saturday and Bob Walker is going to be there as well. I think I have met him before.

LawnPro19
02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
yea he is a nice guy...

tallimeca
02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
did he tell you their plans to fix the GHS 52" so it actually works the way it should?

MikeLT1Z28
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
what's not working properly with it? Are there certain conditions or grass types?

njones
02-29-2008, 05:36 PM
tried it last fall small suction hole plugs easy in wet grass already have a 31 with a 48 ordered a new 31 with 48 wount get it till may 1 redoing the ehaust

Zooropa93
03-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I've met him once too and he seems like a nice guy. As for the opposite rotation, I was told that all walker decks are going to go that route, not just the 52

dwc
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
what's not working properly with it? Are there certain conditions or grass types?

nothing wrong with it, he's just running his mouth. (or fingers) Walker doesn't turn out a bunch of junk and I am quite sure they will have this deck perfected by the time it reaches production.

tallimeca
03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
not running anything.

Think about the design of a GHS deck.

The blades are overlapping each other as they rotate towards the middle/back of the deck where the grass exits into the discharge chute to the blower. The grass is sent into the chute primarily by the force of the blades, and there is some suction that aids by the blower.

The 52 inch deck.......and all the GHS decks down the road are going to have the blades turn the opposite way, which means they are going to direct the debris away from the discharge chute, towards the front of the deck and around the side edges, back to the chute.

With this said, it may not affect the cut 1 bit. Hell, maybe it'll be better. But, it is going to affect the vacuum of the deck and there are already guys bitching about it. There was a handfull released for the fall, but wait untill this fall comes and there's more of them out there. I hope Walker really did their homework and proved that this will work. It woul be a shame to backfire on them.

I don't see how directing the debris away from the discharge is a plus. I can see clumping, dropping, and blow out problems.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but i've been in the business long enough to know what works and what doesn't, and i have my doubts.

dwc
03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I understand where you are coming from tallimeca, it looks like it would make more sense to throw the grass straight back. However with the new baffles at the back of the deck it looks like it would actually create a pressure to force the grass on into the blower? The channel that runs around the outer edge of the deck may help with the blower action too. I do know with the new bigger blower my 48" doesn't clog nearly as easy as my other machine with the smaller blower.
I guess time will tell but like I said Walker does their homework and thats why others want to copy them.

MOW ED
03-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Bob Walker is a nice guy and a great businessman. I bought my first Walker in 98 and I got a bad 25hp Kohler engine with it. It was very stressful until I contacted the Walker company by mail.
I got a personal response from Mr. Walker along with a solution to the problem, which by the way was not Walkers fault. I was a brand new business with limited resources at the time and this could have sunk me but with his help I made it thru.
I will always own a Walker. Great company with actual faces to the operation not a corporate office and a pre-canned kiss on the cheek. Its good to actually see an American family run business do well and remember who it is they are making equipment for.

Trader Rick
03-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Bought my first walker in 96 it had a defective Hydro on it. Dealor called the company on a Friday morning, Walker overnited a new hydro to them, it arrived at dealers shop about 2:30 Sat afternoon. Dealer and mech. worked on it till it was done. He called me Sat night with it ready to roll. -ZERO- down time for this LCO on that potentially huge problem. We now run many MDDGHSs with the same dealer (of course) Go Walker........