PDA

View Full Version : idiots quoting prices without seeing property

sweetlou
02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Nothing bothers me more than some moron advertising 20.00 per cut any lawn.I know what everyone says that no big deal they'll be out of business before you know it, but the stupidity is why some people look at us like second class citezens.We all know every property is different some have alot of flower beds alot of edging etc.So why in the world would you quote 20$ without seeing what your up against.Around here I would say your average property lot is 80*100 just to break even your looking at 20$ between gas time & labor.What this does is give the customer ammo to give you the whole "I can get it done for X amount" then you have to give them the whole rebuttal of how you dont want to deal with some fly by night etc.Guys like this need a good smack to wake the X@$%$# up,and stop selling us all short.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM
tell me about it, theres a crew in town that does "Any lawn for $99.95 a month!" whenever a prospective client tells me, "well i can get it done for only XX.XX amount" i sell them on our quality. and if they dont buy that, then they arent the type of clients who care enough about their property to make it worth my time.

Turf Dawg
02-29-2008, 12:33 AM
There is someone for everyone. I get calls sometimes for people wanting their lawn mowed, the problem is some of these are in places that I'm not going to send my trucks to. That is when I like to remember people like this phone numbers. We tell them we are full but these people are looking for work.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2008, 12:48 AM
tell me about it, theres a crew in town that does "Any lawn for $99.95 a month!" whenever a prospective client tells me, "well i can get it done for only XX.XX amount" i sell them on our quality. and if they dont buy that, then they arent the type of clients who care enough about their property to make it worth my time.

$99.95 x12mths /28 cuts = $42.80 ie $40 plus tax. little fyi.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-29-2008, 09:48 AM
$99.95 x12mths /28 cuts = $42.80 ie $40 plus tax. little fyi.

why are you multiplying by 12 months??
we have a 30 cut season in 7 months
99.95*7=699.95/30=23 something and he doesnt charge tax, and there are lawns in our area we are cutting for 35 dollars.

ed2hess
02-29-2008, 11:22 PM
99.95*7=699.95/30=23 something and he doesnt charge tax, and there are lawns in our area we are cutting for 35 dollars.

A few of us spread cost across the entire year to make it look like a better deal for the customer.

bigw
02-29-2008, 11:29 PM

If he dont charge tax then its even less per cut because if he is a legit business he will be paying those taxes regaurdless if he collects them or not.
I am charging tax on top of all of my accounts and i havent had one argument when i explain that i will be paying the tax so theirfore i will be collecting it.

ProStreetCamaro
02-29-2008, 11:55 PM
A few of us spread cost across the entire year to make it look like a better deal for the customer.

We talked to our customers about that but not a single one of them liked it so we never did it. They all said "I dont want to pay during the off season months". I wish we could talk some into doing it. Would be nice to have some money come in during the winter.

RonB
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM

If that's a flat rate, 12 months, with 100 customers his gross is $120,000. Forget overhead, time, etc., my guess is some kind of addition such as that is the reason for the offer.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-01-2008, 05:03 PM
its a flat rate per month, only for cutting months!

tell me how your gonna convince a client to pay you 99.95 per month for 12 months when your only cutting 7 of those months??

if you wanted to spread costs over 12 months it would be:
99.95x7months=699.95=total lawncare cost
699.95/12=58.30=the check your getting per month from your client.

all my clients are billed per cut at the end of the month. our commercials send me a check every month for 12 months as we do both lawncare and snow removal. we add up the total lawncare cost for the season, then the total snow removal cost for the season, so say you come up with 9,000 for both, divide by twelve and your getting your monthly check.
some of you guys need to read the posts more carefully...

ojpent
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I deal with this all the time. There one large lco in my area that advertises lawn mowing $15.00 per cut:hammerhead: I still try to figure out he does, and he runs 4 trucks with 3 man crews 6 days a week....:cry:

Fairway Land & Lawn
03-01-2008, 05:23 PM
There is no way to judge, especially if it is a Large company. A small company may not know what it is costing them to do business.. For a large company, you would have to know his production numbers to even think about judging his pricing. Also, the statement "any lawn" could mean that is his base price for any lawn. Could be a little bait and switch tactic. Business is war with your competition. Is it better to kill or be killed?

ojpent
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
There is no way to judge, especially if it is a Large company. A small company may not know what it is costing them to do business.. For a large company, you would have to know his production numbers to even think about judging his pricing. Also, the statement "any lawn" could mean that is his base price for any lawn. Could be a little bait and switch tactic. Business is war with your competition. Is it better to kill or be killed?

I don't think that its a matter of being killed or not. If there was a starting price that most follow by, there is enough grass growing out of the ground for all the companies out there... Its just a matter of playing nice, thats all I'm saying...

TJLANDS
03-01-2008, 09:03 PM
its a flat rate per month, only for cutting months!

tell me how your gonna convince a client to pay you 99.95 per month for 12 months when your only cutting 7 of those months??

if you wanted to spread costs over 12 months it would be:
99.95x7months=699.95=total lawncare cost
699.95/12=58.30=the check your getting per month from your client.

all my clients are billed per cut at the end of the month. our commercials send me a check every month for 12 months as we do both lawncare and snow removal. we add up the total lawncare cost for the season, then the total snow removal cost for the season, so say you come up with 9,000 for both, divide by twelve and your getting your monthly check.
some of you guys need to read the posts more carefully...

I have lawn care only customers that we cut 28-30 times and they get billed
12 months. Not a big deal. Not hard to sell. If that is what they want whats the dif.

corey4671
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
We talked to our customers about that but not a single one of them liked it so we never did it. They all said "I dont want to pay during the off season months". I wish we could talk some into doing it. Would be nice to have some money come in during the winter.

well i have a few that pay year round but I am not quoting any new work that way. I was like you..it'd be GREAT to have money come in through the winter months. But here is how you do it....you MAKE yourself put the money back through the mowing months to get yourself through the winter.:hammerhead:

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Yada yada back on topic here. I pull out flyers all the time for "$20.00 per cut and that includes cutting, edging, trimming and blowing" that are left at yards that should cost $30 and up. I actually have one sitting here I should take a picture of and show you guys. Sad thing is this whole area I am in is a high class high income area but Juan, Julio, and there brothers feel the need to work for next to nothing so it has ruined this business in our area.

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
well i have a few that pay year round but I am not quoting any new work that way. I was like you..it'd be GREAT to have money come in through the winter months. But here is how you do it....you MAKE yourself put the money back through the mowing months to get yourself through the winter.:hammerhead:

Thats what we do but come spring every year things start to get a little tight. Last year we had a bad drought which hurt. This fall coming up I am getting married and thats why I am going to work my arse off and try to do an extra 20 lawns this year. When you think you have enough money set aside something unexpected seems to always come up and it ends up putting you in a pinch come spring. :cry:

Landrus2
03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Nothing bothers me more than some moron advertising 20.00 per cut any lawn.I know what everyone says that no big deal they'll be out of business before you know it, but the stupidity is why some people look at us like second class citezens.We all know every property is different some have alot of flower beds alot of edging etc.So why in the world would you quote 20$ without seeing what your up against.Around here I would say your average property lot is 80*100 just to break even your looking at 20$ between gas time & labor.What this does is give the customer ammo to give you the whole "I can get it done for X amount" then you have to give them the whole rebuttal of how you dont want to deal with some fly by night etc.Guys like this need a good smack to wake the X@$%$# up,and stop selling us all short.

Sub contract him for your work.:waving:

corey4671
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Sub contract him for your work.:waving:

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I have lawn care only customers that we cut 28-30 times and they get billed
12 months. Not a big deal. Not hard to sell. If that is what they want whats the dif.

are you guys not understanding me here? let me try one more time.

the guy does lawns for 99.95 per month ONLY DURING THE 7 MONTH CUTTING SEASON HERE.

there is a big difference getting 100 bucks a month for 7 months for 30 cuts during those 7 months and getting 100 bucks for 12 months for the same 30 cut season.

im not arguing that you guys have 30 cut seasons where your customers pay you over 12 months, its the fact that THIS GUY advertises a flat rate without ever seeing a property which is what this entire post has been about.

bigw
03-02-2008, 12:50 AM

the guy does lawns for 99.95 per month ONLY DURING THE 7 MONTH CUTTING SEASON HERE.

there is a big difference getting 100 bucks a month for 7 months for 30 cuts during those 7 months and getting 100 bucks for 12 months for the same 30 cut season.

im not arguing that you guys have 30 cut seasons where your customers pay you over 12 months, its the fact that THIS GUY advertises a flat rate without ever seeing a property which is what this entire post has been about.

Dont you realize it dont matter what your post was originally about? It never fails you make an innocent post expecting a reasonable answer and within 2 replies you are getting bashed, being accused of what ever ,asked if you have insurance.
Told you have no idea what you are doing , told how stupid you must be, told to make sure you dont low ball. Oh did i mention you have alot to learn?

It never fails anymore you cant even post anything without this happening and then people wonder why someone gets upset, sometimes you just can only take so much...by the way Do you have insurance?
And before anyone goes and starts on me about this now, dont go giving me this crap about how this is a forum and you have to expect different opinions because i know that but that dont mean you have to bash people or always bring negativity to someones post.
I know i may get upset and sound stupid sometimes myself but that is never my intentions but i think their are some on here that do intentionally try to start crap and you all know its true. Oh and by the way i get exactly what you are saying and i totally agree with you even if it did take 3 pages of bs just to hear that.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-02-2008, 12:56 AM
haha thanks big w!

i mean i get it sometimes, we all get lazy dont want to really read the posts and understand what it is. when thats the case, i dont reply!

btw, i do have insurance, and did i mention im registered LLC, and we have 50+years of exp. combined between my father brother and I? lol, and there is always plenty more to learn!

HOOLIE
03-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Dont you realize it dont matter what your post was originally about? It never fails you make an innocent post expecting a reasonable answer and within 2 replies you are getting bashed, being accused of what ever ,asked if you have insurance.
Told you have no idea what you are doing , told how stupid you must be, told to make sure you dont low ball. Oh did i mention you have alot to learn?

It never fails anymore you cant even post anything without this happening and then people wonder why someone gets upset, sometimes you just can only take so much...by the way Do you have insurance?
And before anyone goes and starts on me about this now, dont go giving me this crap about how this is a forum and you have to expect different opinions because i know that but that dont mean you have to bash people or always bring negativity to someones post.
I know i may get upset and sound stupid sometimes myself but that is never my intentions but i think their are some on here that do intentionally try to start crap and you all know its true. Oh and by the way i get exactly what you are saying and i totally agree with you even if it did take 3 pages of bs just to hear that.

I've been supportive of your BigW but I read this crap you post lately and I'm like....good luck bro.

IN2MOWN
03-02-2008, 01:30 AM
If he dont charge tax then its even less per cut because if he is a legit business he will be paying those taxes regaurdless if he collects them or not.
I am charging tax on top of all of my accounts and i havent had one argument when i explain that i will be paying the tax so theirfore i will be collecting it.

Some of us do not have to charge tax on grass cutting...

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:34 AM
I've been supportive of your BigW but I read this crap you post lately and I'm like....good luck bro.

Well is it true or not you tell me? Now be honest!! OH and this was very supportive thanks... Quote.." Probably some liquid courage kickin' in "

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Some of us do not have to charge tax on grass cutting...

Well in PA. you have to charge sales tax, you dont have to for snow plowing though and that i find strange, i mean whats the difference its still a service right?

HOOLIE
03-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Well is it true or not you tell me? Now be honest!! OH and this was very supportive thanks... Quote.." Probably some liquid courage kickin' in "

It's true but the truth is, the more antagonistic you come across on here, the more guys will come on looking to pick a fight. So what I'm saying is, if things are going so well, why are you getting all fired up?

kootoomootoo
03-02-2008, 01:54 AM

How do you know its for 7 months....post the website with link or a pic to verfiy.

I know plenty who bill over 8 months (which is standard) and a lot do 12 mths. He is getting $100/acre. See if you can figure out how. He does $99.95 per month /Trugreen does $19.95 applications.... did you not take marketing in college...or do i need to spell it out.

bigw
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
It's true but the truth is, the more antagonistic you come across on here, the more guys will come on looking to pick a fight. So what I'm saying is, if things are going so well, why are you getting all fired up?

i dont know i guess i just get alittle angry sometimes at guys that like to bash people, its a bad habit of mine lol. Hey i remember a time when i would of jumped in my car and went knocking on some of these guys doors 2 states away lol. Im a calm guy now :laugh:

bigw
03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
How do you know its for 7 months....post the website with link or a pic to verfiy.

I know plenty who bill over 8 months (which is standard) and a lot do 12 mths. He is getting $100/acre. See if you can figure out how. He does $99.95 per month /Trugreen does $19.95 applications.... did you not take marketing in college...or do i need to spell it out.

Look ill spell it out for him because now you are doing exactly what i am talking about, He does not care what you charge or how you charge it,nor does he care about how many payments or what time they or you charge your payments...HIS DAM point was that this guy charges a flat rate price without ever seeing the lawn, this guy charges a flat rate price without ever seeing the lawn, this guy charges a flat rate price without ever seeing the lawn, this guy charges a flat rate price without ever seeing the lawn, this guy charges a flat rate price without ever seeing the lawn...now do you understand his point??? Unless you are going to answer that question which is the ORIGINAL question why even bother?

topsites
03-02-2008, 04:47 AM
See that's someone else's ad we're worrying about...
Who knows, it might be one of them advertising gimmicks, probably is.

Yup, everybody calls this guy then he goes out and quotes:
$20 for showing up and the equipment, $20 for cut + trim + blow, $20 for maintenance/deposit/scheduling/taxes/etc = $60 !!!
Or whatever, I don't know, but what if it's a smart little gimmick?

Now I wouldn't recommend doing that, but to each their own, that's their choice.

See what the rest of them is doing, a lot of it I don't understand.
For years I argued, sometimes still do, nothing ever comes of it.
One they don't listen, two they might argue back, three I still don't understand.
So maybe I'm stupid, or maybe they're better than me.
Well, could be.

So I just worry about mine and me here, try to anyhow.
Let them do their thing, I do mine, you do yours, so the price is what sets us apart, yup.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-02-2008, 10:52 AM
How do you know its for 7 months.
wow this is getting old. if you dont want to believe me, what do i care.

did you not take marketing in college...or do i need to spell it out.

now you resort to attacking my intelligence? haha thats funny... im not even gonna start listing b/c someone will turn around and start saying that im cocky and think im smarter than everyone else on here blah blah blah.

sorry SweetLou for turning this thread into what it has become.

Mic_bug
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
but for a price leader..$20 per cut is a starting point

goes up from there..at least one makes it to the customer

cks dad
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I saw a ad in the paper today that said 15-20 for most yards cut edged and blow what a joke prob looks like crap also.Just ticks me off

IN2MOWN
03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Im still surprised that some of you guys let these other ones who charge that little irritate you.

BTW, Im wondering how many of you when you go out to buy something purchase the most expensive one? Or do you look for deals?

bill8379
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I advertise flat rates, I even advertised rates for various sizes of yards. I just put a lil thing in there that lets them know the yards should be relativity free of obstacles. I figured if Just Mowing could do it why not a small time operator like me?

I'm not shy about showing up at a yard and saying NO WAY. It's over grown, it's cluttered etc.

I do the same thing with windows. Everyone else advertises "a Salesman will call" I advertise prices.

outrunjason
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I know a lot of companies here that do lawns for just $20 bucks. Even though it is cheap I did have an employee that worked for them and he told me some inside info on them. On most streets they had 3 to 4 lawns. Well thats 80 bucks right there and you might not even have to move the truck.

They ran a 2 man crew and each guy got paid $3 per yard. So if they did 4 yards in one hour on the same street then that is $12. They would also get bonuses for finishing so many lawns in a week.

But he said it was a lot of work. He would rather get paid $10 bucks an hour than do that. Also by what he was saying if they got so many lawns done in a week they got a bonus... well that sounds to me like they might not be on time all the time and quality has to be less then good.