PDA

View Full Version : What options to get?

mike lane lawn care
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
ok, so now that GMC is offering $6,000 cash back on leftover 2007 2500HD trucks, i was thinking about trading in the 1500 for a new better one. also, my part time job offers a decent discount on new trucks as well.

I was looking at a truck as follows:
New 2007 2500HD regular cab
6.0L V8
Automatic transmission, 4x4
A/C, power locks, Onstar, Cruise Control
Towing Mirrors
Cloth Seats, Vinyl floor

the truck's MSRP is $28,000
the total price with the $6k cash back and my discount through work is about $19,500.

This truck is pretty basic, power locks, but not windows, no CD player(i'll add it myself) it has onstar and wheel mounted audio controls. any suggestions on what other options i might like down the road? or any comments on the vehicle i'm about to get?

nosparkplugs
02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Get the Duramax

mike lane lawn care
02-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Get the Duramax

would love it, but i can just justify the cost as is. the D-max adds $7k to the bottom line.

vadeere
02-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Dont drive a dmaz youll want one. I made the mistake of looking, now I own one.

patpls
02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Don't forget the tow package, maybe a bedliner?

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-29-2008, 10:01 AM
if your getting the 6K cash back, its like getting a dmax for almost free!

Duramax8832
02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
You can have the D Max in the winter...Got to let it warm up for twenty minutes before I can think about going anywhere..Now fuel is almost 4 bucks a gallon, and the mileage on winter blend is only 10 mpg....But with the Banks on level 6 in the summer i can beat my dads mustang....soo, get the dmax if you can...

hosejockey2002
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
You can have the D Max in the winter...Got to let it warm up for twenty minutes before I can think about going anywhere..Now fuel is almost 4 bucks a gallon, and the mileage on winter blend is only 10 mpg....But with the Banks on level 6 in the summer i can beat my dads mustang....soo, get the dmax if you can...

Looks like if you use your truck for work and want to save money, get the 6.0. To drag race, get the Duramax. I drove a Duramax and really liked it, but just could not pencil it out. It was nearly 10,000 more and would have taken forever to pay for itself.

mike lane lawn care
02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
i of course added in the HD trailer package with integrated brake controller. i was thinking of upgrading to the 8.1l V8 for an extra $900, it would be worth it towing power wise, but would it be worth it fuel wise?

shovelracer
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Plow package is always good even if you dont think youll use it. You get a bigger alternator.

Marek
02-29-2008, 03:01 PM
If you are going to plow with it check into getting the allison trans. It would be money well spent.The 6.0 is a very strong engine and will do just about whatever you want.

lawn king
02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
The duramax is $7195. the allison is $1200. Unless they have gone up since december. GM ig trying to move half ton extended cabs as they are greatly overstocked. There is no 6 grand cash back on the dmax!

hosejockey2002
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
There is no 6 grand cash back on the dmax!

That was the kicker when I bought my truck. The option was only 6 grand or so, but there were no incentives on the diesel then either. Now, it looks like it's well over 12 grand extra for the Duramax.

On a sidebar, I talked to a guy yesterday who was a truck driver for one of the area's larger asphalt contractors. Most of their dump trucks are newer GMC C7500 5 yard trucks with the 8.1 gas and a 5 and 2 manual transmission. I asked how they did powerwise, and he said they did pretty good even towing a full size backhoe. He said mileage was 6-7. Apparantly the gasser pencils out for that company. Sounds like the 8.1 is head and shoulders above the older gas engines for power and mileage, and in a large truck is something like 16 grand cheaper.

Nozzleman
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Sorry, but I don't think the 8.1 is available any more.

DLCS
02-29-2008, 09:24 PM
8.1 is not available!

Get plow prep and heavy duty towing package. The diesels are nice if you need them but otherwise it will take many years to pay for itself since diesel is so much more expensive than gasoline these days. My 07 has the 6.0 with the new heavy duty auto transmission, I've plowed every three days this winter and have pulled a trailer with it most of last summer. I can tell you that the 6.0 will not disapoint you. The new 6.0 that came out in the NBS 07 has 30 more hp.

Petr51488
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow, 6k back.. Thats Great..You'll like the new 2500hds. Are you going to finance it through them? B/c i don't think you can get a good rate along with the 6k back. I could be wrong though.. This is whats on their website for 07's. Doesnt say anything about 6K. They actually have a rebate for the D-Max. Didn't have one when i bought mine! Go figure!
Sierra 2500HD with LMM (1)
$3,500 Cash Allowance AND $1,000 Bonus Cash

OR

As low as 0.0% APR (2) for qualified buyers AND $1,000 Bonus Cash

Sierra 2500HD without LMM (1)
$2,500 Cash Allowance AND $1,000 Bonus Cash

OR

As low as 0.0% APR (2) for qualified buyers AND $1,000 Bonus Cash

JShe8918
03-01-2008, 12:45 AM
No get the duramax.... With the 6.0 you are going to wind up in the shop if you tow very often. If you even go with a gas burner you need to get the 8100 which is backed with the allison tranny. very good but almost as expensive as the duramax

mike lane lawn care
03-01-2008, 12:48 AM
i test drove a 2008 GMC 2500HD regular cab, long bed 4x4 today. it had power locks, manual windows, 6 speed tranny, plow/tow package, CD player, onstar....nicely equipped. the sticker was $30k, supplier price is $27k, i figure i can get them to $25k-$26k, so looking at a total out the door cost of about $20k with trade in/down payment. The ride was nice, it had tons of power, and handled like an SUV. I fell in love with it. the only thing i didn't like about it was that it was white. but other than that, it was the truck that i need for what i do.

as for towing a lot, i won't come near the rating for that truck, i tow regularly 2,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs, but my truck just can't do it, i feel like the rear end is starting to go, and with 140,000 hard towing miles on her, i don't know how much longer the light duty tranny is going to hold up.

vadeere
03-01-2008, 12:56 AM
With the 6.0 you are going to wind up in the shop if you tow very often.

My 6 liter was like a homing pidgeon, it always wanted to go back to the dealer every week or two for stupid sh!t. Also the 4l80e trans was sh!t w/ the 6 liter. I was afraid my 6 liter blew a head gasket or warped a head, so I got rid of that thing. Do yourself a favor and drive that dmax, honestly you are getting raped on the truck anyway whats another 8k that will make the truck preform better. Actually you will realize the additional price difference when it is time to trade said truck, you will get the option price back w/ intrest ( have you ever looked at 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel prices, ridiculous, especially the gm dmax, having great resale value). Honestly you are looking at $80 more a month maybe, its worth it. Dont spend your money on the bullsh!t options like clearance lights, get something that will make the truck more useful. BTW want to buy mine, Ill go buy another that is how much I love it.

lawn king
03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I purchased an 08 duramax in december, i had to jump up & down to get a grand cash back. Thats ok, i worked the dealer & salesman for 9 months and i feel i beat them up bad on the truck! Don't test drive the duramax if you don't intend to buy it, feb. motor trend (quote) : remarkably free of squeaks & rattles, a heavy haulers dream truck :

tthomass
03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
My new model '07 DMAX 4 door, loaded but with cloth seats was $41,200.........they were asking $48,000.

lawn king
03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I got my duramax for $34000. Regular cab 3500, Z85 suspension,plow prep, hd trailering, am/fm/xm/cd, 1 year of onstar, 3 months of xm, cloth seats, AC,battery,oil life,tire pressure monitor system,full size spare tire, radiator cover, winter front grill cover, 5 year,100000 mile powertrain warranty w/ 24 hour roadside assistance.

vadeere
03-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Mine was $37k and change, sticker $43k. CC 4x4 LT1 couple of other options. I can think of 8 guys that I know or are my friends that have a dmax. I havent heard a complaint yet.

Petr51488
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Again, Where you do you see the 6k back on the truck?

mike lane lawn care
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Again, Where you do you see the 6k back on the truck?

specific dealer offer

topsites
03-02-2008, 04:16 AM
Excuse me for a second here...

How are you paying for this, who is providing the financing, and do they know what you're getting yourself into?

I mean think for a minute, then go ask your parents if they'll co-sign a loan because the bank ain't giving it, for real.
Or maybe go talk to the folks at the bank, see what they say.

barefeetny
03-02-2008, 04:26 AM
hahahaha

I don't own a truck with power anything all 1 tons... work trucks... newest 1 is a 1990

brakes and steering...

rubber mats

stick shifts

i did put a new tunedial in my gmc vandura last year as the last one ate my johnny cash tape....

no wonder the big 3 can't get it right..heated mirrors, onstar...leather seats...air conditioned gloveboxes. way to many useless gadgets....plow/tow package i could go for...want to order a work truck... drive down to your local highway dept and take a look at the 1 tons they run...

why does a work truck need any of this nutsy stuff.... if your working in this buisness any time you spend in the truck is time when your not making money.... are you driving a few hours to do lawns. hauling a horse trailer cross country?

..After 1 years worth of your payments i could replace all three trucks

topsites
03-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah that's what I'm trying to say here.
My first two were true work trucks, basics, no a/c, wipers uhmmm try rain-x, no windshield washer but gas stations have that tool, ok, the radio working would've been a bonus. Best trucks for the money thou.

My current truck is a 1995 D-2500 slt Laramie, now this one's got all the bells and whistles, too much to list.
But I shopped around for over a year before I found it... Flew to Boston to get it, paid 2500 cash for it, drove it on back.
Then dropped another 1,500 cash into it to get everything working just right.
She's no spring chicken but everything works, basically...
A paper clip hotwires the a/c in the summer and AHHH premium sound 4-speaker FM!!!
Cruise control and tilt steering and power everything, cloth bucket seats (torn, so with covers).
Came with a class-iii hitch already on and a rear sliding window (this is always bonus).
And today has massaging heated driver's seat and a Gps, niiice.
Oh, no more rain-x and no hole in the floorboard, yes, yes!

Yeah, now if I were to sell her today: $3,675.
That's the blue book on her, cash only and all in one payment, please.

How I buy them, I save my money, pay cash for them.
Crisp $100 bills, yes sir.
Insurance is way cheaper when it's paid for, I don't HAVE to have full coverage (but with a loan you do).
So I'd be for saving, about $2000 gets you a decent, basic truck, 3/4 ton.

RedWingsDet
03-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Here is what I would get if I were you:

Basic 2500HD W/t Package

Limited Slip
Bucket Seats
Plow Prep
Clearance Lights
4x4
Rubber Floor

It is a work truck, and I would just get that, especially if you plan on owning it for 10 years.

Maybe get power windows and locks but thats about it for the luxuries.

I would also suggest you buy a cheap beater around 5 grand to drive as your daily driver, trust me you will make the money back in saving fuel costs. Plus that way you dont rack up the miles on the new truck.

Trust me, get a daily driver and use the truck as work only, otherwise your wasting gas and racking up unnecessarily miles which elsewhere could have bought you a daily driver from the savings.

I picked my 06 up at the end of 2006 for 24,500 AFTER tax, title, plates etc. WITH a plow!!!! so maybe that'll help you decide. Hell, this winter alone paid off the truck!!!!! (14 plowable events and 30+ saltings baby!!!!!!) lol

lawn king
03-02-2008, 08:58 AM
my duramax is a work truck(1 ton 3500), no fancy interior power package. AC is a must, lots of hot & humid days here, plow prep,hd trailering, both necessary. Cloth seats, well let me say this, try plowing snow for 2 straight days sitting on a 5 gallon bucket, then tell me a comfortable seat is a super luxury. My duramax like my isuzu npr is a work truck, both have AC,diesel engines,automatics & XM radio. I would hardly call them super luxury trucks! Some people buy the diesels to be cool, im hauling kubotas, 3 pallets of fert/lime, plowing snow, trucking granite,you name it. I run my trucks forever, i installed fuel at my shop, my tractor is a diesel, gasoline just doe's not work for us.

barefeetny
03-02-2008, 02:56 PM
i'm not trying to knock people...It just seems like there is a general overkill when people buy equitment...

If you have the use for it....buy it.... but it seems like people lose their heads at the dealerships.....I try to run everything 5-10 years and i start with trucks that are about 15 years old....If i bought something new and it didn't get wrecked... i would expect to get 20 years out of it. I'm not big on gadgets and dn't seem the need to upgrade just to get a feature that wasn't avalible 3 years ago...

my DD is 11 years old owned it since new...

Lawnworks
03-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Some people like to work for tools... and some people use tools to work. Spending 40k on a truck is just crazy....

vadeere
03-02-2008, 03:50 PM
hahahaha

I don't own a truck with power anything all 1 tons... work trucks... newest 1 is a 1990

brakes and steering...

rubber mats

stick shifts

i did put a new tunedial in my gmc vandura last year as the last one ate my johnny cash tape....

no wonder the big 3 can't get it right..heated mirrors, onstar...leather seats...air conditioned gloveboxes. way to many useless gadgets....plow/tow package i could go for...want to order a work truck... drive down to your local highway dept and take a look at the 1 tons they run...

why does a work truck need any of this nutsy stuff.... if your working in this buisness any time you spend in the truck is time when your not making money.... are you driving a few hours to do lawns. hauling a horse trailer cross country?

..After 1 years worth of your payments i could replace all three trucks

Mine isnt a work truck. The only work it does is get to and from work. Tows a 4000lb boat 6 times a year. Rarely sees anything but pavement except hunting season. My "work" trucks work. This truck leads a pampered life.

stuffdeer
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Excuse me for a second here...

How are you paying for this, who is providing the financing, and do they know what you're getting yourself into?

I mean think for a minute, then go ask your parents if they'll co-sign a loan because the bank ain't giving it, for real.
Or maybe go talk to the folks at the bank, see what they say.

I hate to say it.

But I agree with Topsites for once.

Your what, 17? I know of NO bank that will give me a loan for a truck like that.

And you going to have to keep full insurance on it, til it's paid off. I can see that being over $400 a month.

I'd save and buy a used truck..

IMHO

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Whats 7,000 for 650ftlbs of torque, the diesel can tow or haul weight burning less fuel, and lower cost of ownership overall. Ignorance, I'm telling you Cummins, Duramax, Ford early next year are all introducing the 1/2 ton V-8 or V-8 (CGI) compacted graphite Iron block or head diesels, reducing the cost of production. Many companies are trading their gas burners in for diesels now, regardless of who is driving them. Biodiesel has got companies scrambling to be positioned to use it, some already are with huge savings. All you diesel haters will be the first ones in line for that 1/2 ton diesel. Sometimes you have to take some risks in this buisness

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Whats 7,000 for 650ftlbs of torque, the diesel can tow or haul weight burning less fuel, and lower cost of ownership overall. Ignorance, I'm telling you Cummins, Duramax, Ford early next year are all introducing the 1/2 ton V-8 or V-6 (CGI) compacted graphite Iron block or head diesels, reducing the cost of production. Many companies are trading their gas burners in for diesels now, regardless of who is driving them. Bio-diesel has got companies scrambling to be positioned to use it, some already are with huge savings. All you diesel haters will be the first ones in line for that 1/2 ton diesel. Sometimes you have to take some risks in this business

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Age has nothing to do with a Bank giving you a loan, Heck I see teenager's driving around in heavily modified new 2500 or 3500 Diesels, which cost way more than mine, don't think mom & dad paid for the majority of the trucks Diesels are #1 in the south

hosejockey2002
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Whats 7,000 for 650ftlbs of torque, the diesel can tow or haul weight burning less fuel, and lower cost of ownership overall. Ignorance.

First of all I'll start by stating that I am not a diesel hater. I have driven heavy trucks (not pickups) for years and in the application diesel is the only way to go.

For me, it's not about which truck I like, it's about dollars and cents. When I bought my truck the diesel was $10,000 more. 650 ft/lbs. of torque is great if you need it. I don't. My measly 300 hp/360 ft.lb 6.0 gas will pull any load that I pull up any hill as fast as I want to go.

Yes, we all know that diesels use less fuel. That fuel costs more, oil changes cost more, and repairs cost more. Diesels arguably last longer, but they cost more to rebuild.

Now, with the 2008 emission standards, diesels are more complex, more expensive and have poorer fuel economy than previous models. Fuel economy (not mileage) is now on par with gas engines. The only thing that the diesel really beats gas at is pulling power. So if that's what you really need, get diesel, but it sure as hell is not going to save you any money.

Lawnworks
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Whats 7,000 for 650ftlbs of torque, the diesel can tow or haul weight burning less fuel, and lower cost of ownership overall. Ignorance, I'm telling you Cummins, Duramax, Ford early next year are all introducing the 1/2 ton V-8 or V-6 (CGI) compacted graphite Iron block or head diesels, reducing the cost of production. Many companies are trading their gas burners in for diesels now, regardless of who is driving them. Bio-diesel has got companies scrambling to be positioned to use it, some already are with huge savings. All you diesel haters will be the first ones in line for that 1/2 ton diesel. Sometimes you have to take some risks in this business

Why take any more risk than you have to?

coolluv
03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree people spend alot of money on trucks but if you can afford it then go for it. I personally would not spend 50k on a new truck but I just purchased a new 2007 2500 Duramax Diesel with the tow package and factory brake controller. No goodies at all. The only option my truck came with was power door locks. 50K is alot of money to me. But you know what they say, people define other people as rich when they make more than you. To someone that makes $30,000 a year the guy making $100,000 a year is rich. And the guy making $100,000 a year thinks the guy making $200,000 a year is rich.

33,400 plus tax and title and all that was 36,000 give or take. To me that was alot of money, but I didn't think it was that bad for what I got. $500 under factory invoice. I also got 5 years 0% interest and no down payment. I did trade my old truck in. I paid 26,000 14 years ago for my Dodge 4+4 360 V-8 loaded,and this truck is waaaaaaay better than that truck was as far as power. I figured after 14 years I needed a new truck. It was starting to show its age and it was having problems and I was starting to dump money into it. In a year I put over $4000 in it and it was still breaking down.

Older trucks will have problems and if you don't mind working on them all the time and have the time and patience to do it, and not to mention the tools, then an older truck will be for you. Trucks are not like the good old days when you could sit inside the engine compartment and change the water pump out or something like that. You had tons of room to work on them and they were easy to work on.

I used to do all of my own maintenance and repairs, but newer trucks are crazy to even try to work on and you better have scan tools and special tools and just a bunch of tools in general. You also get peace of mind with a new truck. As far as Diesel vs Gas, that is personal preference. I have never owned a diesel and I think it has its advantages over a gas truck. The power is awesome. Why you would need to add power to it is beyond me. People are getting all different kinds of Mpg with the diesels because of where they live and the types of fuel they have to buy(winter blends) and their driving habits.

I was getting terrible Mpg with my Dodge and so far the Mpg I get with the diesel have been really good. I didn't buy it to race it so I'm easy on the pedal. I don't plan on mod it out, it doesn't need it. Everyone who does ends up screwing it up, but to each his own. I plan on keeping this truck for at least 12 to 15 years. You can easily get 250,000 to 300,000 out of the motor and tranny on the Duramax and Allison or any good diesel. 150,000 to 200,000 with a gasser and after 100,000 Mpg start to go down and the problems begin.

Are you going to pay more for a Diesel up front, yes. Are you going to pay more at the pump, yes. But you can pull that trailer with ease and you can pull that dump trailer with ease. And you can pull that Bobcat with ease. When you buy your equipment think of where you are going not where you are now and you wont have to buy stuff twice.

Dave...

stuffdeer
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Age has nothing to do with a Bank giving you a loan, Heck I see teenager's driving around in heavily modified new 2500 or 3500 Diesels, which cost way more than mine, don't think mom & dad paid for the majority of the trucks Diesels are #1 in the south

So. Me being 17, I could go in to ANY bank, and with no co-signer get a loan for the F-350 Dually Lariat sitting outside the Ford dealer?

Lawnworks
03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
When you buy your equipment think of where you are going not where you are now and you wont have to buy stuff twice.

Dave...

What if you don't end up going anywhere and get stuck w/ a major payment.

Did you know a majority of millionaires don't buy new vehicles? They know that vehicles are the worst investment you can make. I hate depreciation. I work to hard to watch my investment in a truck(s) whittle a way to next to nothing.

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 06:16 PM
be reasonable do you really need a F-350 diesel dually, I didn't sold mine for a 2500 diesel all while saving $$$, with all of the folks with bad credit, and home foreclosures, Lenders are looking for people with good credit, and you will be rewarded with a lower interest rate.

coolluv
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
If you go no where that is your fault my friend. Have a business plan that will take you to the next level. Millionaires do buy new vehicles they just keep them past 3 or 4 years. We are not talking about an every day driver either, we are talking about something that is going to make you money and build your business. Its the person who buys a new vehicle every 3 or 4 years that lose a bunch of money, and they buy it because they want the latest and greatest. Keeping up with the Joneses, this is totally different.

Its the same thing as when you see threads on should I buy a 10ft or 12ft trailer. If you buy the 10ft trailer it may be ok for now but what about 1 year from now or 2 years from now when you get more equipment, will that same trailer be of any use to you then?

Its also the same as buying a Z from the get go. Some people say wait to get the Z until you get enough accounts. I say buy it now and you will grow into it and you will have it when you need it. Which will be soon enough if you grow your business. The right equipment makes you money, it doesn't cost you money unless you are not thinking long term and have to buy bigger and better in the short term and what you buy is not practical or no longer fits your needs.

Dave...

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Well said "coolluv", I spent over 50,000 starting up my business with not one customer, when I signed my business loan.

Lawnworks
03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
If you go no where that is your fault my friend. Have a business plan that will take you to the next level. Millionaires do buy new vehicles they just keep them past 3 or 4 years. We are not talking about an every day driver either, we are talking about something that is going to make you money and build your business. Its the person who buys a new vehicle every 3 or 4 years that lose a bunch of money, and they buy it because they want the latest and greatest. Keeping up with the Joneses, this is totally different.

Its the same thing as when you see threads on should I buy a 10ft or 12ft trailer. If you buy the 10ft trailer it may be ok for now but what about 1 year from now or 2 years from now when you get more equipment, will that same trailer be of any use to you then?

Its also the same as buying a Z from the get go. Some people say wait to get the Z until you get enough accounts. I say buy it now and you will grow into it and you will have it when you need it. Which will be soon enough if you grow your business. The right equipment makes you money, it doesn't cost you money unless you are not thinking long term and have to buy bigger and better in the short term and what you buy is not practical or no longer fits your needs.

Dave...

My point is... get a great deal on what you need now and then upgrade when you can justify it.

Why spend 30k-40k on a truck(after taxes, interest, etc) when a 15k truck will do the same job w/ less overhead?

RedWingsDet
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I hate to say it.

But I agree with Topsites for once.

Your what, 17? I know of NO bank that will give me a loan for a truck like that.

And you going to have to keep full insurance on it, til it's paid off. I can see that being over $400 a month.

I'd save and buy a used truck..

IMHO

If he has his parents co-sign he should be able to get the loan.

Also, if he gets it insured in the business name, which he needs to do anyway, because if he has it in his name and get an accident, when the adjuster looks at the truck and sees his name and number on the door, the adjuster will tell him he is sol. Plus with business insurance they dont look at your age. With several trucks I only pay 100 per month per truck for full coverage.

I would agree about the used truck thing, but its almost stupid not to buy a brand new truck for 19k if he can, but its stupid to get a bunch of options that you do not need.

My advise would be buy the truck with not to many options, keep it for 10 years and sell it on the tenth year before it starts to have problems, only if you live in a winter climate, salt east the crap out of vehicles and plowing is terrible for the truck.
But thats just what I would do if I were you. We all have different views and needs.

P.S. The banks arn't giving out loans left and right like they were a few years ago (imo. 2+ years ago anyone with any credit could get a loan, the banks just didnt care, atleast around here, which explains all the new vehicles on flatbeds these days), so it may be a little bit trickier but he should be able to get one with a co-signer.

Petr51488
03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
If he has his parents co-sign he should be able to get the loan.

Also, if he gets it insured in the business name, which he needs to do anyway, because if he has it in his name and get an accident, when the adjuster looks at the truck and sees his name and number on the door, the adjuster will tell him he is sol. Plus with business insurance they dont look at your age. With several trucks I only pay 100 per month per truck for full coverage.

I would agree about the used truck thing, but its almost stupid not to buy a brand new truck for 19k if he can, but its stupid to get a bunch of options that you do not need.

My advise would be buy the truck with not to many options, keep it for 10 years and sell it on the tenth year before it starts to have problems, only if you live in a winter climate, salt east the crap out of vehicles and plowing is terrible for the truck.
But thats just what I would do if I were you. We all have different views and needs.

P.S. The banks arn't giving out loans left and right like they were a few years ago (imo. 2+ years ago anyone with any credit could get a loan, the banks just didnt care, atleast around here, which explains all the new vehicles on flatbeds these days), so it may be a little bit trickier but he should be able to get one with a co-signer.

I'm going to have to dissagree with you on a few things. A, i don't think the bank will give him a loan because he's under 18. (don't know if he is) But, lets just assume he's under 18. No bank will give you a loan. And, it must be be the different locations, b/c insurance agencies DO look at age even with commercial insurance. When i called around to have my truck under a commercial policy they gave me quotes around 6k for full coverage for a year on a 52k truck. I was 19 going on 20 at the time. I'm 20 now. They either gave me a huge quote, or didn't want to take me at all. Now, i have no tickets/accidents.. no nothing. Its strictly age, and it has to be the location. I was able to get my insurance cheaper (if you want to call it that) for 3k per year because i went with the same company that does my liability insurance. When i called they asked if i had insurance before, my age, license number, any tickets, how many trucks, coverage etc..

mike lane lawn care
03-02-2008, 11:28 PM
hi guys. i'm 18 by the way, and have good credit already. the truck i'm looking at has nothing extra on it besides equipment i need like trailering equipment, integrated brake controller, and plow package. it has manual locks and windows, it has a CD player only because it's standard now. it's the W/T package. vinyl flooring, cloth seats, bare bones basic.

Petr51488
03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
hi guys. i'm 18 by the way, and have good credit already. the truck i'm looking at has nothing extra on it besides equipment i need like trailering equipment, integrated brake controller, and plow package. it has manual locks and windows, it has a CD player only because it's standard now. it's the W/T package. vinyl flooring, cloth seats, bare bones basic.

Did you turn 18 recently? It takes time to effectively build up your credit. It doesn't happen in a few months.

mike lane lawn care
03-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Did you turn 18 recently? It takes time to effectively build up your credit. It doesn't happen in a few months.

i've had loans, and vehicles in my name since i was 16, my parents would co-sign things with me. my truck is in my name, as is the insurance, and the loan was also in my name. i also have done a few tactics to build up my credit, i have opened a few credit cards to make my debt to available credit ratio better(not that i have any debt outside of one outstanding financing for some new trimmers)

stuffdeer
03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
i've had loans, and vehicles in my name since i was 16, my parents would co-sign things with me. my truck is in my name, as is the insurance, and the loan was also in my name. i also have done a few tactics to build up my credit, i have opened a few credit cards to make my debt to available credit ratio better(not that i have any debt outside of one outstanding financing for some new trimmers)

Good luck

Let me know what kinda interest rate you get.

Petr51488
03-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Yea, same here. Good luck with the truck. You've made a wise choice. I don't think you need a diesel. Trust me. Their expensive to fill up these days. The 6.0 will do you good. And the 2500 is a very nice truck. Just check out some commercial quotes before you buy(if your going to register it commercially)

vadeere
03-03-2008, 01:16 AM
No offense if you are financing trimmers you dont need a healthy truck payment. That payment will be $400-$500 a month. Although I am sure the large companies that buy 50 trimmers at a time may finance them, I dont think you are playing in their league, I know I sure as he// am not.

mike lane lawn care
03-03-2008, 01:25 AM
No offense if you are financing trimmers you dont need a healthy truck payment. That payment will be $400-$500 a month. Although I am sure the large companies that buy 50 trimmers at a time may finance them, I dont think you are playing in their league, I know I sure as he// am not.

it was a 12 month same as cash financing offer on a $1k trimmer, so i took that option.

topsites
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
What if you don't end up going anywhere and get stuck w/ a major payment.

Did you know a majority of millionaires don't buy new vehicles? They know that vehicles are the worst investment you can make. I hate depreciation. I work to hard to watch my investment in a truck(s) whittle a way to next to nothing.

Yes sir, take it from me, I like driving and owning exotic $100,000+ cars!
Just me, but there is one weetle problem, yeah.

I've been eyeing the bmw 850, that thing cost $100,000+ when it was made.
Back then cars cost less, so this was likely a 140-160,000 car in today's prices.
Either way, that's the problem.

Because it really doesn't matter, 40,000 or 160,000 it's all the same to me, if I ain't got 10g you see?

But 3-4 years ago the cheapest one was still 20,000.
I can buy one today for 9g, with around 91,000 miles on the odometer.
Fair to good condition, no torn seats, not a rip in the dash not a dent in the body, shiny paint still plenty of bling left.
I mean Nice!

The sick of it is in 2-3 maybe 4 more years that same car will sell for 4-5-6 thousand.
Same or just as low miles, exotics don't get driven much (the 12 cylinder eats gas and the repairs are outrageous).

I swear to you cars devalue by half of what they're worth every 2-4 years, their value sinks like a rock.

So that's how those of us who can't afford new do it.
It's all the same in the end, we get our years out of it all the same, bling bling and oooo and ahhh and all that crap.

See I mean it doesn't HAVE to cost 40,000
All we're trying to say, it's just smart.

Lawnworks
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
The most predominent vehicle millionaires drive is an F150.

mike lane lawn care
03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
i was at work today and one of my customers and i got talking. she is the head of financing at one of the largest car dealers in the county. they deal primarily with jeep, Toyota, and Ford, all new vehicles. she explained a few financing options that i could get fairly easily at the dealership i plan to buy my GMC from. we also got on the subject of the Tundra TRD crewmax trucks, which can tow almost as much as a GMC 2500. now i wouldn't be interested in a toyota, just cause i like my GMC's better, but it was interesting to hear about the different options on a new crewmax. I did test drive one, and it didn't feel right, it felt like driving a luxury SUV, like it would be gutless, but i was allowed to pull a trailer that weighed in at 7k, and it did better than any F-250 i've ever driven. again, prolly won't even consider the tundra, but it was just an interesting though.

vadeere
03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
They let you put a trailer behind it, geez. Usually when I test drive them, I tell the dealer I want it for a day to run errands and other b/s. Then I hook my equipment trailer to it with heavy crap on it to run it, then I like to figure out what the truck is governed to. Btw its 95 on a dmax and 100 on a 6l.

mike lane lawn care
03-04-2008, 12:06 AM
They let you put a trailer behind it, geez. Usually when I test drive them, I tell the dealer I want it for a day to run errands and other b/s. Then I hook my equipment trailer to it with heavy crap on it to run it, then I like to figure out what the truck is governed to. Btw its 95 on a dmax and 100 on a 6l.

yea, i mentioned that i trailered everyday and needed something powerful. so they told me to take it with me for the day to hook up to whatever trailer i wanted to and test her out.

eagle irrigation
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
For the price of the diesel you can have the dealer mount a plow and a v-box. Its better to have options that can actually make you money.

meador56
03-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Gas vs. Diesel In the real world where people are in business to support their families, pay mortgages and save for retirement it becomes prudent to minimize cost. When you save " I want " means little. 100,000 miles divided by 13mpg times $3.10 for gas equal $23,845.20 13 is typical for our 6.0 GMC. 6.6 DMax and 6.7 Cummins are about 15mpg which means that fuel for 100,000 miles at 3.50 equals about $23,333.35 a $511.85 savings in fuel. This means that fuel savings pay for a diesel at $6000. [I know diesels cost more] you would need to drive 1,200,000. miles to pay for the diff in fuel. Now we own 98 2500 5.9[18mpg], 00 3500 7.4 [10.5] 01 2500HD 6.0[13] all these trucks have over 100k miles. They all tow heavy trailers rock block sand and equipment. I would by another diesel in a New York minute when someone shows me that it's a better buy. And remember we have only figured fuel no interrest on investment, no extra maintenence, and the occasional total engine failure. So you good business men that push the diesel show me the money!

coolluv
03-04-2008, 11:55 AM
And remember we have only figured fuel no interrest on investment, no extra maintenence, and the occasional total engine failure. So you good business men that push the diesel show me the money![/QUOTE]

O% financing for 60 months. What extra maintenance? New diesels can go 7000 to 10,000 between oil changes. No Plugs or wires or 3000 mile oil changes. Engines fail on all vehicles. Longer engine and transmission life on the diesels. Higher trade in value. Mixed driving for me not towing I get 17-18 Mpg.

How much money for repairs have you put into those trucks to date?

Dave...

meador56
03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Maintenance costs are highest on the Cummins but we bught it used for $9kand being 2wd it returns none tow mpg of 19mpg. It now has 175k on it and runs like new. 01 GMC 2500HD has about 150k no repairs other than A/C belt was bought new. 00GMC 3500 flat bed 454 also bought new 10.5 mpg 8+ towing heavy [if you drive like you own it] no repairs 118k. 99 1500 Chevy 153k A/C belt no other repairs. Bought this truck with 80k 4yrs ago for $8700 with rebuilt title, like trucks were bringing$10-12 at auction. Have been real pleased with truck gets 16mpg and 18+ on hwy. Would buy rebuilt again but only with pics of pre rebuild. We put brakes on in house do our own mant. Some of you guys got almost as much in one truck as I gave for the two GMC's new. I've owned several new trucks and can better afford them now than ever and see no reason. Local dealer sells loaded up 1/2 and 3/4 tons with 80 to 100k starting at 12.5k for nice trucks one of the biggest contractors in this area buys from them. This group is part a bigger group of companies that has 10,000 employees so new is easily in their budget. Most of these trucks actually cost mid 30's to buy so you get most of the service left for less than half. Makes more sense to me to keep cost on vehicles low profits higher. Remember all trucks are used when you buy them. :laugh:

Blueribbonlawns
03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
go with the d-max in the long run it will give you alot better investment than a gasser and it will run forever then when you want to get a new truck the d-max will be worth mabie two times what that 6.0 will.
The 6.0 engine is not a very good engine for pulling trailers all the time, Thats what diesels are made for and the tech out now is amazing i am verry impressed with my d-max i love it.
So here are the questions you need to ask yourself

1 do i want the power to get around the car in the lane next to you before you miss your turn?
2 do you need the power or will a gasser do for you
3 do you want to get better mpg pulling your trailer
It's all worth it to me.
Good luck

coolluv
03-07-2008, 02:56 PM
You have been lucky to get the kind of trouble free life out of the trucks you have. I have purchased used vehicles in the past and my experiences have not been so good. This is the 2nd new truck I have had since I started driving. I'm 42 now.

Usually if you buy something with 70 or 80 thousand miles on it you will get 1 or 2 years of mostly trouble free service, but once you reach the 100,000 mile mark typically with a gas engine you are on borrowed time. Especially if you use it as a work truck. And especially if it is a half ton truck. Once you hit the 150,000 mark if you haven't had major problems yet you will very soon, and once they come they just keep coming in waves. Month after month small things and then bigger things and then you have to make the decision to either trade up or dump a bunch of money into it.

After 100,000 miles mileage starts to drop off, power is slightly reduced, and as the miles roll on from there it just gets worse. Most people will notice the mileage drop if they pay attention, and some will notice the power loss too. But because you drive the same truck day in and day out you really may not notice it until it gets really bad. Your Cummings with 175k on it you said it runs like new and it will well past 300k long after those gassers are gone.

The 454 3500 is a gas hog big time. Your lucky to be getting 10.5 empty and 8+ towing. Most 454 get 8 or 9 empty and 5 to 7 towing, with a tail wind. You can't tell me that truck was a cost effective buy. Whats the fuel cost per year on that bad boy? Great powerful engines but horrible on gas. Anyway the price of diesel is more and the initial purchase price is $7000 more but for a he!! of a lot more power. The longevity of the diesel I believe it is definitely worth it. It may cost you slightly more to run a diesel in the beginning, but if you keep it long enough, which I do. My last truck I purchased new and had it for 14 years. And you buy a work truck, not something that has every option for $50,000, then in the long run it is worth the investment and it makes up the difference the longer you keep it. You really have to be careful buying used diesels because some guys will put computer altering tunes on them that bring the hp up and will beat the balls off of the truck.

It not only voids the warranty ( if you buy one still under warranty) but it will ruin the transmission and you wont even know until it starts to slip. Go to some of the diesel forums and to You tube and you will see what I mean. If you don't know about this stuff you really could get burned. Some people roll the dice and win when they buy used, and some don't. Hopefully your luck will continue. Did I mention the fact that I absolutely love driving my Duramax diesel!

Dave...

meador56
03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
After buying 3 new Fords and 3 new GMC's I realized at about 80k miles you can buy nice trucks for normally just around 50% of new invoice. So a truck with a 40k sticker that can be bought for mid 30's will sell for low teens at about 5yrs old. We have found that we are better off with a 5 yr old with 100k than a 15 yr old with 50k, time seems to be as damaging as use. I like diesels but we fail to see the economic advantages of them in light truck applications. Yes they make gobs more torque than gas yesw they will last longer but when I get to about 200k I'm about ready to trade. I say this but we just bought a nice 95 3500 Dodge 4x4 12' flat and 213k yesterday. We have great luck with dodge on the job. I'll be be 52 this year so I have a little experience in buying and running everything from lawn mowers to hay balers to combines to dozers to Peterbilts. We have a very diversified business that takes dozens of different types of equipment and I have learned some of it needs to be new when it comes into service and most of it don't. It does help to be able to repair virtually anything in house although time restraints won't always allow for this so I well know what out of house repairs cost. As for expensive repairs I don't consider less than engines or trannys expensive and they have been rare in my time.

coolluv
03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
The reason I think it differs from area to area weather it makes sense or not to buy a diesel, and from different business models or business situations. If you have a shop with a lift and all the tools and can do your own work that is a factor. If you have people working for you that can do the repairs for you that is a factor. If you have the time, that is a factor. If you live in an area that labor rates are lower that is a factor. I know where I used to live (my brother still lives there and is a ASC. certified gas and diesel tech.) labor rates are just about half of what they are here in Atlanta. Trucks are also cheaper to buy there. A truck that would sell for $1000 there would be $3000 or $4000 here.

You touched on my point exactly by saying you do most of your repairs in house. That makes a big difference in maintenance cost. At $100 a labor hour at the stealership from my experience most repairs average $500 if your lucky. Most repairs are more. Here is an actual example for repairs I had on my 94 Dodge. Front axle seals replaced, seal 1 $13.85 seal 2 $16.05 gasket $8.38 total parts $38.30 total labor and parts $735.52. They had to take the whole axle out to replace the seals just because that is the way dodge designed it. I talked to my brother about it and he told me it wasn't and easy job to do.
6 months after that my AC stopped working $1150 for that repair. A year later the AC compressor started to go out, I called about that fix and it would have cost me another $1200. The truck had 126,000 miles on it at that time.

I also had the front and rear brakes pads changed,rotors turned,new wheel cylinders,brake system flushed. Total bill was $1499.93 Now I know I could have replaced the brakes myself and the brake cylinders myself but I work solo and I also work a full time job. I put in an average of 70 to 80 hours a week. So I don't have much time, also I work out of my house and I don't have a shop and all the necessary tools to do most jobs.

I see the Mexicans down here buying used trucks and they live at the Auto Zone:laugh: always buying parts and working on their trucks. I pass a bunch of them daily on the freeways broke down in their used worn out trucks. Are they saving money? Sure. If you don't mind being stuck on the side of the road a couple times a year,or more and working on your truck all the time,I say save all the money you want but that's not for me anymore.

But for me and my situation, I no longer have the time or the tools or the energy and patients to do that any more. Back when trucks were simple I did all my own work from water pumps to replacing transmissions. But back then you could do it with a couple hundred dollars in tools.I paid $1000 for my first truck,76 Dodge 3 on the tree, and had to put a new clutch,throwout bearing and pressure plate in before I could even drive it. My second truck I paid $2500 for,73 GMC. I spent quite a bit of time under the hood and under both of those trucks. That was a long time ago when you could look at the engine and know what everything was and how to fix it. Those days are gone. You need special tools and computer code readers and scan tools.

Anyway things like how much you tow,what kind of terrain you will be driving on. Meaning is it flat like Kansas or do you live in the mountains or something in between. Do you have to get on the freeway? Do you mostly drive country roads or side roads. There are too many factors to say what is best and what is a waste. Only you can decide on that.

Dave...

DBL
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
you live in mass get a snow plow on that thing