PDA

View Full Version : Flatbed Dump Side Options help! Dodge 3500 1 ton

dvblandscaping
02-29-2008, 11:37 AM
I have searched relentlessly on this topic and cannot find many threads regarding my issue.

I just purchased a Dodge 3500 1 ton flatbed dump. (SEE PIC) As of now it is just the flatbed, but i plan to put sides on the truck. I will be removing and selling the tool boxes. I do not want stake body sides, want to create some sort of metal sides, or purchase them; I plan to have the sides be permanent, and I will add a leaf box to them in the fall.

I know the flatbed is not ideal, and that i should have gotten a landscape dump, but the price was right.

Could some of you list your suggestions? or post pictures, or send links to other topics relating to this issue?

jimslawns
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
That truck wasn't on a GSA auction was it? I was eyeing one similar to that no too long ago.

dvblandscaping
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
haha. It was bought by auction. I am in MA though. I purchased from a dealer. do you remeber how much it sold for?

bruno_rs
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
my .02... the flatbed is a much more versitile vehicle. it all depends upon what you will be using the truck for, most often. by saying you will be adding a leaf box, my assumption is you are a landscaper and/or lawn maintenance co. a flatbed/dump is, in my opinion, the utlimate lawn/landscape work truck! i have a chevy 5/4 ton CUCV (military issue pu) which i converted to a 9 ft flatbed. by doing so i can load 2 ztr's (side by side), 3 stick trimmers, 2 backpack blowers, 2 21 '' mowers and fuel cans/tools/supplies in the (2) lower 3 ft tool boxes behind the rear wheels. mine is not a dump but i can quickly and easily put on/take off my dump insert or airflow (bed) sander. if i have large plants and/or alot of plants to load i can remove the panels and easily load/unload from the side. by having (permenant) side panels you are limiting the use of your work truck. if you're still not into the flatbed, you may want to look into hinged side/gate panels... you'll have the "permenant" feel and "convertible" usage. i love my set up and can fit everything on this 9ft flatbed that was on my 12ft trailer... just alittle tighter. i no longer use my trailer, on a daily basis... less is more and works for me. sorry, i don't have any photos yet but, as soon as spring is here i'll post them... nothing fancy but very functional and user friendly. just my thoughts... have a good one.

dvblandscaping
02-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, that makes me feel a bit better about my purchase. any info on where to get these hinged sides? Also... you must have a pretty long gate on the back of your flatbed... how do you go about getting your mowers up there?

bruno_rs
03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Well, that makes me feel a bit better about my purchase. any info on where to get these hinged sides? Also... you must have a pretty long gate on the back of your flatbed... how do you go about getting your mowers up there?

sorry dvb, i haven't been on the site for a bit. any qualified welder should be able to help you out with the hinged side panels... same principle as the rear tailgate and/or mesh loading ramp... depends on what you will be doing MOST with the truck. a buddy of mine does whatever welding i can't handle. i load my 2 (ztr 48" & 52") machines by 9 ft wood ramps supported by 1/2" aluminum angle strips (bolted along the edges) for added strength. while transporting, the ramps act as side panels... works for me (lighter than steel) and at 1st glance appear like permanent panels. look around the site and you find alot of guys are looking into and/or using "grasser" bodies... their photos may give you some ideas. it's all about designing a body which will work best for YOU and your needs... not the "masses". sorry i don't have any pictures, yet. as soon as i dust everything off, i'll get some up. good luck, hope all is well. have a good one.

Gravel Rat
03-07-2008, 06:31 PM
The best way is custom build what you want and myself it would be aluminum you only got a 1 ton and every ounce of payload is worth a dime.

The first problem you have to deal with is the head ache rack isn't square it is sniped at the top so if you plan on putting 4 foot sides on it you will have to have a full headache rack (bulkhead).

The truck has stake pockets I assume so use them and build some sides a top a new bulkhead etc.

cantoo
03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
I have a flatbed on my 1 ton chev dumper. I made my leaf box out of plywood and 2x4's. It has a front, sides, top and back door only there is no bottom on it. It is 2" narrower than my flatbed so I can slide it in and out quickly. Works great for us. My leaf loader is mounted on my front so the hose goes over the cab and into the box. Search my user name to find pics of it.
Cantoo

dvblandscaping
03-14-2008, 11:42 AM
good advice. id like to see the sides that double as your ramps. does anyone have pictures of their flatbed setups?