PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer vs Open Trailer ???

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello, I was wondering who likes enclosed trailers vs open trailers? I am looking at Wells Cargo Brand: Road House Model 7 x 14 enclosed trailers or a
8 x 16 enclosed trailer. In our area the Wells Cargo brand is the best and not many other brands are available. Any comments about what you all like in a enclosed trailer would help when extras are ordered thanks. Got a price quote for above trailers and were about $6000.00

An open trailer brand is the next question?
I have a Worthington Aluminum Frame / Wood deck and wood side racks . I asked dealer to quote a 14 t0 16 ft long trailer like the 1 I have and he told me it would run about $5000.00

Any comments about what open trailer brand you all have and like.

What I want to haul is a new Z turn mower with a 60 or 61 inch mowing deck

A walk behind unit a push mower and normal stuff trimmer blower etc.:usflag:

Raven386
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, I like enclosed trailers for the fact that its rolling storage and offers more security then an open trailer. But I like open trailers for the ease of driving with it, and the ability to use it for other things such as mulch,dump runs etc. Now if I had another truck with the ability to dump, then I would most likely go with an enclosed trailer. Just my .02

mcjohn
02-29-2008, 12:34 PM
open trailer a must if doing serious business, but your price is high on open trailer check around, should be able to get a good used one

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I do have a 7000lb Dandy Dump dump trailer and I agree with towing open trailer vs enclosed. I am not so sure about towing the enclosed trailer. I have towed my camper and did ok with that. I also agree about security and storage. Was not sure if trailer would get to hot in summer months to store mower inside. Thanks for replying. Good Luck with season to come.:usflag:

Raven386
02-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Most trailers have vents in the roof for ventilation. Good Luck to you too

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok other brands to look at that have held up to our use for hauling mowers and equipment. I know that Wells Cargo Dealer are spread out and theres only 1 I have found in our area in NY. I know the Wells Cargo Brand is more than the Road House Brand by Wells Cargo. Can anyone check there area for prices on a Road House by wells cargo 7 x 14 with ramp and side door package. Or a 8 x 16 rear ramp and side door package. Both trailers I got prices were v nose type trailers. Landscape style with 20 yr floor and plywood sides.:usflag::usflag:

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I know vent are on sides and was told are extra for on roof. All I worry about is it leaking at some point. Wells Cargo Is a 6 year warrinty and Road House is 3 Year Warrinty. Not sure how its covered or if I put racks on top if they will get in way. I think I will have ladder racks on trailer. Thanks for the replys and information shared.:usflag:

Raven386
02-29-2008, 01:12 PM
why not get ladder racks for inside of the trailer, find a way to hang them from the roof or on a side. wouldnt them being on top of the trailer be a little hard to grab? I would be more worried about exhaust gases and gas fumes in there before i worried about it being too hot. But thats what the vents are for.
as for someone else checking prices for you, prices vary from place to place. in TN you can get the same trailer for $4000 that you would pay $6000 here.
If I had to buy another trailer, I would go with another open trailer. Just bigger than the one I have now.

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Thank you for your replys and you are right about fumes etc. I have not ordered but I am still searching for ideas on brands of trailers and ins and outs of each. Steel trailer brands? What do you have or like?:usflag:

Raven386
02-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a Carry-On... I really dont like it. I wouldn't suggest buying that brand. Theres a few differnt brands out there though, just have to see what your dealer has. Do a quick search here, there has been a few discussions about Carry-on trailers. Now if enclosed trailers caused problems with fumes,etc there would'nt be people buying them/using them and there would be a lengthy discussion of it on here too. I haven't seen that though. They are intended for that use and they have vents to safely diffuse any fumes inside. Now with heat, im sure it does get a little warm in there, but it gets a little warm on the open trailer too! Do you have a place to store an enclosed trailer?

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I have outside space but not cover outside place. Thanks for reply I have searched and have read many posts and threads. I have also been to many dealers and looked at many types of trailers. I Love the Worthington trailers for open type trailers but the 16 ft trailer is about 5000.00 and steel trailers I don't have any ideas about. None really stand out. As for enclosed trailer dealers not many in our area code 14809. :usflag:

Raven386
02-29-2008, 02:23 PM
5K ?!! I hope that is for aluminum trailer. I paid 2300 for my 6x14 carry-on. They had big tex trailers that were a bit more money, I wish I just spent the extra money lol. The big tex trailers are made with tubular steel, I am going to guess that it would be a lot stronger. the trimmer racks move a lot! and you can just see the steel twist with it. I have to beef it up a little bit this year. also the pins that hold up the gate snapped and the gates fell as we were driving. that wasnt fun at all.

topsites
02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Unless you have a Commercial Driver's License and the insurance that goes with it you might want to check into your state's CDL requirements. Specifically, states have rules concerning GVWR of not just the truck, but of truck and trailer, then some have rules concerning just the trailer as well.

An enclosed would keep my equipment out of the weather, but fuel economy suffers.
I can not haul things like mulch or leaves with an enclosed.

What I have is a single axle 6x12 with 2 foot sides, made by Carson Trailers.
Cost around 1500 new, might be closer to 2000 nowadays but that's with ttlir.

apexlawn03
02-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I will check on state requirements but I already have dot number for truck when towing dump trailer so I ll check to see if it applies to enclosed trailer.

Quoted price for Worthington 16 ft aluminum trailer was @ 5000.00:usflag:

jhsmith4
02-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I just ordered a Horton V-nose 8x16 today. It comes with 2 side vents ( high, low) 2 interior lights switched, 3/8 plywood walls, extra 6" on ceiling height, med. duty aft ramp and 60" side ramp for our walf-behind. LED lights and 24" stone guard. Its being built with a 10 turn around. Cost $5560 out the door! These are some good looking trailers, built tough!

Indy Kyle
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
As far as the vents are concerned, at least her in Indiana, you are required to have at least 3 vents on your trailer for the fumes. Our trailer only had one roof vent so we just bought a couple of cheap plastic vents to put on the sides. Very simple to install.