PDA

View Full Version : Bought the F450 V10

Terraformer
02-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I wanted to express my appreciation to everyone that provided input about this truck and Ford's V10. It really help me make an informed decision and caused me to do my homework. Bottom line is that everything work out to where I can loose. Here's why:

In my original thread "F450 V10 Question" I stated it was I 2001 when actually it's a 2002. Miles on the ODO are 22,727. I hadn't seen the truck on the road the past year and had forgot that it had Alcoa wheels on it. This may be a dumb point, but all I could remember is that the cab and dump were red and it was always clean whenever I saw it on the road. Since I'm not a fan of red trucks - no offense intended - I wasn't to interested. However, the shinny aluminum wheels make it all work. The 11 foot dump bed is a 9, because it is slighly used. The interior a 10. The overall exterior condition and appearance of the truck is 9.5 - would have been a 10 except for a golf ball size dent in the front bumper. When not on the road this truck was kept in a heated shop. Tires will need to be replaced within a year and new 225/70R19.5's will cost $2K. Truck is tight and it runs smooth and strong. The manual tranny and clutch operate smooth and tight.

Even though I wanted a diesel I couldn't pass this deal up. We agreed on a price that would allow me to do a Cummins conversion if the V10 pukes a plug or otherwise acts up.

Since the truck and frame are virtually rust free, I'm going to have the cab rust proofed and I'll POR-15 paint the frame and underside of the dump.

nosparkplugs
02-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I have a Pipe line "right of way" maintinance contract with is currently selling off its Ford V10's for the Dodge Cummins diesels, in the 2500 and 3500 models. Sounds like a great deal to get into the Class 4 trucks, I sold my 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke dually crew for a Dodge 2500 CTD with 19,250 miles love it, could not pass up the deal on my diesel. The cheaper price of gas will "numb the pain at the pump"

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Post some pics.......

Gravel Rat
02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
When I put tires on the 03 F-450 I bought the Bridgestone Steer tires were 312.00 each and the bandag retread drives were around 240 each. You don't want to run sketchy tires especially the 225s if you have one explode it will take the fender off. Also if the truck has been sitting they will be a little square. Then if it has the original General tires get rid of them right away they are horrible.

With the V-10 I would check the spark plugs probalby replace them and torque them to the right spec's then do the other stuff like oil filters etc.

Good Luck with the truck it should do you good.

Terraformer
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Post some pics.......

I pick the truck up next week - had to transfer some bucks out of investment accounts. I'll take some pics and post them, if this damn Wisconsin weather ever settles down... snow, snow and more snow!

BTW - I know the guy I bought the truck from. He did all my cement work when I built my home. He knew his truck was clean, but he took the position that it was a 6 year old, used, work truck. A real stand-up honest guy.

Landrus2
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I wanted to express my appreciation to everyone that provided input about this truck and Ford's V10. It really help me make an informed decision and caused me to do my homework. Bottom line is that everything work out to where I can loose. Here's why:

In my original thread "F450 V10 Question" I stated it was I 2001 when actually it's a 2002. Miles on the ODO are 22,727. I hadn't seen the truck on the road the past year and had forgot that it had Alcoa wheels on it. This may be a dumb point, but all I could remember is that the cab and dump were red and it was always clean whenever I saw it on the road. Since I'm not a fan of red trucks - no offense intended - I wasn't to interested. However, the shinny aluminum wheels make it all work. The 11 foot dump bed is a 9, because it is slighly used. The interior a 10. The overall exterior condition and appearance of the truck is 9.5 - would have been a 10 except for a golf ball size dent in the front bumper. When not on the road this truck was kept in a heated shop. Tires will need to be replaced within a year and new 225/70R19.5's will cost $2K. Truck is tight and it runs smooth and strong. The manual tranny and clutch operate smooth and tight.

Even though I wanted a diesel I couldn't pass this deal up. We agreed on a price that would allow me to do a Cummins conversion if the V10 pukes a plug or otherwise acts up.

Since the truck and frame are virtually rust free, I'm going to have the cab rust proofed and I'll POR-15 paint the frame and underside of the dump.

How’s the fuel mileage on that truck.:waving:

Nozzleman
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Sounds like a good truck. You can prevent your truck from spitting a plug if you do some preventitive maintenance and follow these simple step's.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/458496-plug-change-with-photos.html

The site in the above link has a ton of info regarding V-10 Fords in case you have a question.

Also, I would like to reintroduce myself. It's been almost five years since I last posted here.

Wrobel#1
02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
hey joe what did you end up paying

Terraformer
02-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a good truck. You can prevent your truck from spitting a plug if you do some preventitive maintenance and follow these simple step's.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/458496-plug-change-with-photos.html

The site in the above link has a ton of info regarding V-10 Fords in case you have a question.

Also, I would like to reintroduce myself. It's been almost five years since I last posted here.

Good info... thanks!

Terraformer
02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
How’s the fuel mileage on that truck.:waving:

Don't know, because I haven't monitored it yet. However, the best I can expect, unloaded, at highway speeds is 10 - 12 and loaded 7 - 9. I got this information from several different Ford truck sites. Time will tell!

Terraformer
02-29-2008, 09:56 PM
When I put tires on the 03 F-450 I bought the Bridgestone Steer tires were 312.00 each and the bandag retread drives were around 240 each. You don't want to run sketchy tires especially the 225s if you have one explode it will take the fender off. Also if the truck has been sitting they will be a little square. Then if it has the original General tires get rid of them right away they are horrible.

With the V-10 I would check the spark plugs probalby replace them and torque them to the right spec's then do the other stuff like oil filters etc.

Good Luck with the truck it should do you good.

Yup... its got General now. I think I'm going to go with Michelin's. I like the snow/mud tread on their XDS2's.

I will change oil (Mobil1) and all filters right away and lube everything. Probably flush and fill the cooling system too. Afterwards, I'll do the plugs.

Terraformer
02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
hey joe what did you end up paying

How about we have some fun. After I post the pics you, and anyone else that wants to, can tell me what it's worth. I may have just opended myself up to disappointment... oh well - it won't be the first time.

Gravel Rat
02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
If you can find them the XDE M/S is the better Michelin drive tire but they are discontinued in the 225/70R19.5 the current tire is XDS-2.

Nozzleman
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Yup... its got General now. I think I'm going to go with Michelin's. I like the snow/mud tread on their XDS2's.

I will change oil (Mobil1) and all filters right away and lube everything. Probably flush and fill the cooling system too. Afterwards, I'll do the plugs.

You may want to avoid the Mobil1 in the V-10. From the reading I've done it appears the V-10 will use some oil between changes if run on Mobil1. The general feeling is that the V-10 actualy causes the Mobil1 to evaporate and it gets ingested through the PCV valve then burned in the combustion chamber. Most members of the forum I linked earlier say to stick with the Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w-20 oil. Your truck may call for 5W30 but the 5W20 is backwards compatible with the V-10. I personally use the Motorcraft 5W20 in my 2008 V-10.

Also, I advise you to use the Motorcraft oil filters. Again, from what I've read they are a good filters, and along with the oil, are easily obtained at Walmart.

Terraformer
04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Finally the pitures! I'm really happy with the truck. State still hasn't come through with the license plates... boy they are slow.

BrandonV
04-07-2008, 07:59 PM
wow that's super nice

jsaunders
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice looking truck - boy that bed is long, My 9' dump bed will slow down my F550 pretty good when loaded.

Price????????

Cooper has a good tire just put 2 on the truck I think it is 'HDC' tire name- Close to the mud/snow General- (General owns Cooper)

Paid $225 per tire installed retread tires were $175

Nozzleman
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Nice truck... As for the guessing game on price I say $20,000.

Terraformer
04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys! I've only driven it on the back county roads to get a few loads if wood for the stove. I was quite surprised how at how well it rides for a dump truck - still nice and tight too. Course with only 22,700 miles on it I suppose it should be tight. After all... it is a Ford:)

It's an 11 foot box. I plan on putting some nice, and higher, side boards on it for hauling mulch and brush debris.

jsaunders - that's the best price I've heard for tires. I have to check that out with my local Cooper dealer.

I paid $13,500.00 for it.

jsaunders
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Terra- I will get the exact name and #'s for the tires- I'm VERY happy with the tires- very good traction in the snow also.
I have the Michelins M&S on the back and they used to be $250 but they have been discontinued and the replacement is now $350+ :cry:
Good price- You will be able to have that truck for many, many years.

Terraformer
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Terra- I will get the exact name and #'s for the tires- I'm VERY happy with the tires- very good traction in the snow also.
I have the Michelins M&S on the back and they used to be $250 but they have been discontinued and the replacement is now $350+ :cry:
Good price- You will be able to have that truck for many, many years.

jsaunders - boy that would be super information to have when I go shopping. I really like hearing from people with first hand experience!

Thanks for sharing.

NORTHMAN
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Come on be honest,thats a brand new truck,you got a great deal.I've heard great things about the V10,I know theres some performance mods that will help the 2 valve engines.Good luck with it.

Terraformer
04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Come on be honest,thats a brand new truck,you got a great deal.I've heard great things about the V10,I know theres some performance mods that will help the 2 valve engines.Good luck with it.

Hey Northman - I thought someone might question the price, but let me assure you that I'm giving you the straight poop! However, I can't take all the credit. I knew the person I bought it from and he's a really decent and all around good guy. He wanted a few $1,000 more, I said I would agree to that price provided he completed a service/inspection by a Ford truck dealer, new tires and battery. He saw my point and gave me a new price... the rest is history.

Is there a web site that details Ford V10 performance improvements you referenced?

NORTHMAN
04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Terraformer,I was only kidding,I just think you got a great deal for a beautiful truck.The two web-sites are Ford-Truck.com/forums,theres a V10 section and the other is TheDieselStop.com,they have a gas engine forum.I've had a Ford diesel 7.3 and now have a Dodge/Cummins,if i were to buy a new truck I would take a very hard long look at the Ford V10,I think it is the best buy in the a pick-up.What axle ratios do you have?

KTM
04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
That is A steel for that truck! Iam not to far from Evansville wonder why he did not advertise it he could have sold it for more than that!

stuvecorp
04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Truck looks nice and that is a good deal. I hear you about the red color, I also don't care for red but I have two red trucks because it's not worth it to repaint them. You shouldn't lose any money on that truck. For that price I would buy it even as a back up.

DK lawn care
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
DAMN! thats a nice truck and u got it for a steal to. BTW go join www.fordtrucks.com/forums. I belong their (my name is I eat hybrids their) and they also have a v-10 and a superduty forum.

Terraformer
04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I really wanted a diesel, but I can burn lots of gas by going this route and never think twice.

J&R Landscaping
04-08-2008, 08:46 PM
That truck is super nice! Best of luck with it!

Gravel Rat
04-09-2008, 03:25 AM
If you don't want to bust the bank account you can go with OHTSU drive tires like these.

www.ohtsutires.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=1451&cat_id=3

For steer tires thats where you spend the money because they make or break the handling of the truck.

Truck looks nice and clean :drinkup:

supercuts
04-09-2008, 07:23 AM
not to bust your bubble, and its still a great deal, but i dont htink you have the alcola rims, they simply look like crome simulators from the pics.... still look good, just not quite as cool

reminds my of my 00 f550 i got for $10,500 with a bad tranny, 7.3L powerstroke, 56K miles, 12' landscape dump... after the tranny was done it was $13,500

Gravel Rat
04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
That truck has wheel sims they are okay I have them on my truck.

As for the price he got a good deal a truck like that here in B.C. would have sold for atleast 16,000 and sold in a week.

The only problem with a truck with low mileage and that age is because it has lots of time sitting. A truck that sits is a truck that will have some problems.

Some of the things that will have problems will be the brakes. The seals dry out and the caliper pistons stick. Brake lines get rusted and the rubber lines rot from the inside out. Other things like shocks will be shot.

Things to do right away would be

Engine oil change
Flush brake system
Change fuel filter
Change all other fluids

I would probably run 3-4 tank fulls of premium fuel through the system to clean up the carbon.

You should have good service with the truck.

Terraformer
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
not to bust your bubble, and its still a great deal, but i dont htink you have the alcola rims, they simply look like crome simulators from the pics.... still look good, just not quite as cool

reminds my of my 00 f550 i got for $10,500 with a bad tranny, 7.3L powerstroke, 56K miles, 12' landscape dump... after the tranny was done it was $13,500

Supercut - no offense taken. When I first looked at it in their shop storage area - not well lighted - I thought them to be Alcoa rims. Didn't remember that I had posted that tid bit, so I never thought to correct my error. In addition, the dent in the front bumper is also larger than I initially thought. All-in-all I'm happy with the deal.

Wow - your F550 was definitely a deal!

Terraformer
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
That truck has wheel sims they are okay I have them on my truck.

As for the price he got a good deal a truck like that here in B.C. would have sold for atleast 16,000 and sold in a week.

The only problem with a truck with low mileage and that age is because it has lots of time sitting. A truck that sits is a truck that will have some problems.

Some of the things that will have problems will be the brakes. The seals dry out and the caliper pistons stick. Brake lines get rusted and the rubber lines rot from the inside out. Other things like shocks will be shot.

Things to do right away would be

Engine oil change
Flush brake system
Change fuel filter
Change all other fluids

I would probably run 3-4 tank fulls of premium fuel through the system to clean up the carbon.

You should have good service with the truck.

Gravel Rat - the truck was used every year from March through December. It's just that they didn't drive it more than 4-5000 miles each construction season. If it had sat for in their shop for an extended length of time - a year or more. I probably would have passed.

Anyways, I'll do all those things you recommended out of habit.

TXNSLighting
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
hey great looking truck! congrats!

cutall1
04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
those trucks are sick ! nice choice getting the one with the manual trans

jsaunders
04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Terra- sorry the tires are not coopers- they are Continental (i believe 'HDC') I will double check tomorrow.
Joel

johnnybravo8802
04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Man, I'm jealous. I could definitely get used to red if my truck looked like that. Someone really took care of that truck. At that price, I wouldn't care about the V10. With the money you saved over a new diesel, you can buy a lot of fuel.

Terraformer
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Terra- sorry the tires are not coopers- they are Continental (i believe 'HDC') I will double check tomorrow.
Joel

Thanks, look forward to the info.

Terraformer
04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
If you don't want to bust the bank account you can go with OHTSU drive tires like these.

www.ohtsutires.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=1451&cat_id=3

For steer tires thats where you spend the money because they make or break the handling of the truck.

Truck looks nice and clean :drinkup:

Did a dealer search for OHTSU tire - none within 250 miles of me. Tire spec's on their site looked real good!

jsaunders
04-11-2008, 07:44 AM
terra found the receipt- $249 each installed 'Continental HDR' tire, load range G

I have 6 months on them and there is no sign of any wear.