PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a zero turn radius

sydanna Lawn Care
02-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I am looking at replacing my John Deere 345 lawn tractor & buying a zero turn radius mower. I have been looking at the John Deere 757, & 777. I wonder what you owners think about them, air cooled vrs. liquid etc... My 345 is a liquid cooled twin & I love it but the air has less maintenace issues??? Also, I am not John Deere loyal, anyone own different makes? How do you like them? Best mower for the money??? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

TomberLawn
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm surprised you like the liquid cooled 345. My dad's takes forever to warm up enough to engage the blades. I think it is wise to not be Deere loyal. I've seen a lot of instances where their quality has gone down but prices have gone up. My local Deere dealer sells Ferris zero turns 4:1 over the Deeres. I ran a 757 one time for a couple hours and felt like it was underpowered. There are lots of good brands to check out. Do you have any good commercial mower dealers nearby?

mowerbrad
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Buy a mower that has a dealer near by. Make sure the dealer is good!!! I run a Bob-Cat zt and have 2 dealers in my town but each of them are horrible and didn't realize it until after I bought the mower. But I would say that Exmark is one of the best brands on the market today, a little pricey but for sure worth the money. But Deere is right up there with Exmark.

Zooropa93
02-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm surprised you like the liquid cooled 345. My dad's takes forever to warm up enough to engage the blades. I think it is wise to not be Deere loyal. I've seen a lot of instances where their quality has gone down but prices have gone up. My local Deere dealer sells Ferris zero turns 4:1 over the Deeres. I ran a 757 one time for a couple hours and felt like it was underpowered. There are lots of good brands to check out. Do you have any good commercial mower dealers nearby?

Your local dealer will not likely be a deere dealer within a year. Deere is forcing their dealers in the who have competing lines to drop all non Deere lines. Also, those who are not large dealers are being forced to buy or be bought out if they want to remain green. James River owns almost all the Deere dealerships in VA and many in NC. They're closing the smaller operations and from what I've read and heard via word of mouth from a few Deere dealers is that Deere wants the box stores for consumer equipment and a few mega dealers per state for everything else from lawn and garden to large ag equipment. That would make me wonder about the distance to
travel for service work, plus it seems that if your dealer is handling a 40 or a 50k piece of ag equipment and also your 8k Z mower he's gonna tend to give priority to the higher dollar one cause it makes him/her more money, even though it may not be intentional.

In any case, first make sure you have a good local dealer and as for other lines I'm partial to Scag and Hustler. Gravely isn't bad either, but not quite on the same level imo....there are numerous other quality lines out there als

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Buy a mower that has a dealer near by. Make sure the dealer is good!!! I run a Bob-Cat zt and have 2 dealers in my town but each of them are horrible and didn't realize it until after I bought the mower. But I would say that Exmark is one of the best brands on the market today, a little pricey but for sure worth the money. But Deere is right up there with Exmark.

That's a good point. The Deere dealer close to me, which is small, seems to have a temporary feel about it. I do have an Exmark dealership even closer to me. I own an Exmark Turf Tracer HP which I like. Mabey I'll take a closer look at the Exmark. I had a problem with the local Exmark dealer & stopped going there a few years ago. Mabey it's time to let them make it right. Anyway, thank everyone. Any Exmark owners out there?

DENNIS MOW
03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I like the hustler line my dealer is 25 min from me but it is well worth the drive they take great care of me when i have a problem i have been with them for years so i would make sure the dealer is off there word get it in writting if indoubt

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Lets all be honest here. Most of the commercial ZTR mowers today are all built pretty good and most of them cut good. It all comes down to what brands your local dealer sells and how good they are at helping you if your mower breaks down or has an issue. You cant go wrong with any of these.

Exmark (just dont get a triton deck)
Toro
Gravely
Bobcat
Ferris
John Deere 7 Iron II
Everride
Hustler
Cub Cadet commercial
Walker
Wright mowers (These are manufactured not 15 minutes from me)

These are all well known quality machines that will last you many years.

The few mowers I will not own (I have my reasons and it is not dealer related but rather machine related)

Scag (never cut good for us. Always a shaggy looking cut)

Dixie chopper (In my eyes these are NOT built well and do not cut cleanly. Guys next to us had one then got rid of it after watching us cut with our Cub cadet Tank. They went and bought a new tank. There dixie chopper cut like $hit and always left clumps all over the place and had uncut strips of grass. They had to double cut every week)

lawnbutch
03-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Can any body tell us how many ZTR's there are on the market today!! The answer can be found in the February issue of PRO Mag and can be found at www.promagazine.com This is a free mag. so get on their site and find the answer and submit your name and get this free mag coming to your door, it has a lot of great info in each issue.

Mo

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 03:52 PM
QUOTE: Lets all be honest here. Most of the commercial ZTR mowers today are all built pretty good and most of them cut good. It all comes down to what brands your local dealer sells and how good they are at helping you if your mower breaks down or has an issue. You cant go wrong with any of these. END QUOTE>

YES! I agree. Where I am there are really only three dealers. John Deere, Exmark, & Scag. You are right, it's down to the dealer now. Scag lost out this morning. I felt like I was at a garage sale. So, it's between John Deere & Exmark now. Both dealers are quite close to me. I like thew JD 777. Not really sure which Exmark it comparable yet. Thanks so far to everyone..

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
QUOTE: Lets all be honest here. Most of the commercial ZTR mowers today are all built pretty good and most of them cut good. It all comes down to what brands your local dealer sells and how good they are at helping you if your mower breaks down or has an issue. You cant go wrong with any of these. END QUOTE>

YES! I agree. Where I am there are really only three dealers. John Deere, Exmark, & Scag. You are right, it's down to the dealer now. Scag lost out this morning. I felt like I was at a garage sale. So, it's between John Deere & Exmark now. Both dealers are quite close to me. I like thew JD 777. Not really sure which Exmark it comparable yet. Thanks so far to everyone..

You cant go wrong with the 7 Iron II deck but try to stay away from the Exmark Triton deck. If you decide exmark then get the Lazer Z AS series mower with the ultra cut deck. To this day many people still consider the ultra cut deck to be the best deck anybody has ever made. It will clog up in wet conditions. The 7 iron II does not clog up like the exmark decks do and also produces a nice smooth cut. Either way I think you will be a happy camper!

Turf Commando
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
You cant go wrong with any of these.

Ferris

MY MOWER MADE THE LIST....:cool2:

slowleak1
03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
You cant go wrong with the 7 Iron II deck but try to stay away from the Exmark Triton deck. If you decide exmark then get the Lazer Z AS series mower with the ultra cut deck. To this day many people still consider the ultra cut deck to be the best deck anybody has ever made. It will clog up in wet conditions. The 7 iron II does not clog up like the exmark decks do and also produces a nice smooth cut. Either way I think you will be a happy camper!

so which one is the best? your very vague as to which one clogs up. im going to be shopping soon, so trying to figure it all out also.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks, I have both JD & ExMark stuff & like them both so it'll be easy to make a decision.

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
so which one is the best? your very vague as to which one clogs up. im going to be shopping soon, so trying to figure it all out also.

The UltraCut deck on the Exmark leaves a smooth carpet like cut but it tends to clog up in wet conditions. The 7 Iron II deck does not clog up much at all and also leaves a nice cut.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
The UltraCut deck on the Exmark leaves a smooth carpet like cut but it tends to clog up in wet conditions. The 7 Iron II deck does not clog up much at all and also leaves a nice cut.

So far I'm leaning towards the JD 777.

mowersower
03-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I would go for the Exmark. You can buy a Lazer Z AS for around $7499 now. They have a special rebate program. The Ultracut deck is the king of all decks. It will outperform the 7 iron deck and leave a better cut.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I would go for the Exmark. You can buy a Lazer Z AS for around $7499 now. They have a special rebate program. The Ultracut deck is the king of all decks. It will outperform the 7 iron deck and leave a better cut.

Something tells me that they are a fair bit more up here:canadaflag:. As everything is, I will look into it though, thanks.

mowersower
03-01-2008, 07:53 PM
You're right, I forgot this special rebate program is only for certain regions of the country, that is why it is not on the website. You might ask your dealer about anyway to see if he can work something out with Exmark.

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 08:13 PM

I just got a quote for a 60" Lazer AS this week and they wanted $7,700 plus tax.

slowleak1
03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

gotcha thanks!

dgZtrak737
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM
When I started in 2003 me and my uncle went into the mowing business together. He had a 345 and I was going to buy a 345. My dad found a 737 ztrak and talked me into buying it instead of a 345, 3 weeks later, my uncle traded his 345 for a 737. His has 1700 hrs on it and still running strong he loves his. Mine dosent have that many but I love it also.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 10:58 PM
When I started in 2003 me and my uncle went into the mowing business together. He had a 345 and I was going to buy a 345. My dad found a 737 ztrak and talked me into buying it instead of a 345, 3 weeks later, my uncle traded his 345 for a 737. His has 1700 hrs on it and still running strong he loves his. Mine dosent have that many but I love it also.

I can't wait to get one. I'm thinking about the 777. I like my 345, it has been a great mower, 700 + hrs & lots of life left, it'
s just time to get get something better, faster & stronger!

QualityLawnCare4u
03-01-2008, 11:09 PM

I own both and will tell you my experience with both. The exmark is a great machine for certain types of grass like centipede or st. augustine but will make you talk real ugly on bahai or wet burmuda. My deere leaves a smooth cut and with the right blades and will leave no bahai straglers standing. Also the deere deck will not clog as bad as the exmark. I have owned both the ultra cut and tri advantage decks. Like I said, these are fine machines but it depends on what type of grass you are cutting whether you like them or not.

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Here is an example of exmark quality and durability. We bought this lazer hp brand new in 1999. It now has over 2,200 hours and the only thing we have replaced is 1 spindle, 1 blade belt and 1 belt that runs the hydro pumps. This old thing still cuts like brand new.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Jul28_0003.jpg

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I own both and will tell you my experience with both. The exmark is a great machine for certain types of grass like centipede or st. augustine but will make you talk real ugly on bahai or wet burmuda. My deere leaves a smooth cut and with the right blades and will leave no bahai straglers standing. Also the deere deck will not clog as bad as the exmark. I have owned both the ultra cut and tri advantage decks. Like I said, these are fine machines but it depends on what type of grass you are cutting whether you like them or not.

You are absolutely correct about that. He is in canada so he is cutting cool season grass and not that course stuff you guys have. The UltraCut is amazing in cool season grass but if its damp it will clog up.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-01-2008, 11:30 PM
This is great stuff you guy's, thanks for all of your input...keep it comming!

Cheeers, tim

retrodog
03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Hey, you ought to check out Bad Boy's Lightning. 26hp LC Kawasaki, $500 michigan air-ride seat, 4 wheel suspension, 14mph, 5 guage steel deck. It makes the $8900 757 look like a POS at $7495 retail! They also have their AOS 27hp LC Kawasaki for $8795. It will blow the 777 out of the water, and that one is priced around $10999!! Hey sydanna, I noticed at the factory yesterday that they just picked up a new dealer up there in Canada. They had their first order of 20 mowers getting loaded up to be delivered next week. If you want some more info PM me, and I can get you set up with him. I have seen him on here asking about them, and he flew down to the factory about a month ago to check em out before getting set up. www.badboymowers.com

dgZtrak737
03-02-2008, 02:01 AM
This is great stuff you guy's, thanks for all of your input...keep it comming!

Cheeers, tim

You might want to check out the new Z840A series John Deere. They are going to have a liquid cooled kawaski engine. I believe its replacing the 777. The have a few more options than the old ones. Like a comort conveince package. It has your deck raise as a button on the left control handle and a pto kill switch. And in my opinion, you cant beat the 7 iron deck. Has never clogged on me, never replaced a spindle. And its cut is flawless. I also have a second to none dealer in my area that takes care of its customers. There parts counter is great, and there service department is wonderfull as well.

captn
03-02-2008, 02:58 AM
The one thing I've learned on this site is that of the commercial mowers, the dealer is everything. Deere, Hustler, Toro/Exmark, Scag, and Bad boy (I've only demo'd them except Hustler) all perform pretty well, so find the dealer you trust.

Atlantic Lawn
03-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Get the Exmark if the dealer is close by, a great machine. Don't forget to compare financing programs as well.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-02-2008, 09:23 AM
The one thing I've learned on this site is that of the commercial mowers, the dealer is everything. Deere, Hustler, Toro/Exmark, Scag, and Bad boy (I've only demo'd them except Hustler) all perform pretty well, so find the dealer you trust.

Get the Exmark if the dealer is close by, a great machine. Don't forget to compare financing programs as well.

I have narrowed it down betweeen the Exmark & the JD. However, the JD is winning slightly because of what I am hearing about the deck not clumping as much. I am in BC Cnada & we have our fair share of damp grass in the mornings during the spring. Both dealers happen to be close to me as well.

lawnbutch
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
In the opinion of you guys that have more experience than I do with the Z's how does the Toro stand up to some of the other brands. I ask this only because the dealer closest to me has taken on the Toro line of mowers as his main line but can get some of the others as well. We are thinking about getting something in the 42" to 48" deck size. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Mo

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey, you ought to check out Bad Boy's Lightning. 26hp LC Kawasaki, $500 michigan air-ride seat, 4 wheel suspension, 14mph, 5 guage steel deck. It makes the $8900 757 look like a POS at $7495 retail! They also have their AOS 27hp LC Kawasaki for $8795. It will blow the 777 out of the water, and that one is priced around $10999!! Hey sydanna, I noticed at the factory yesterday that they just picked up a new dealer up there in Canada. They had their first order of 20 mowers getting loaded up to be delivered next week. If you want some more info PM me, and I can get you set up with him. I have seen him on here asking about them, and he flew down to the factory about a month ago to check em out before getting set up. www.badboymowers.com

From all the info I am gathering about bad boy mowers im not impressed with the cut quality and my closest dealer is 3 hours away. So in other words NO THANK YOU.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-02-2008, 10:12 AM
You might want to check out the new Z840A series John Deere. They are going to have a liquid cooled kawaski engine. I believe its replacing the 777. The have a few more options than the old ones. Like a comort conveince package. It has your deck raise as a button on the left control handle and a pto kill switch. And in my opinion, you cant beat the 7 iron deck. Has never clogged on me, never replaced a spindle. And its cut is flawless. I also have a second to none dealer in my area that takes care of its customers. There parts counter is great, and there service department is wonderfull as well.

Thanks for the info on this mower. My JD dealer actually wanted to show me this mower but I don't think it is available in Canada (yet). But.. he had good things to say about it. I do likr the 777, but if they get one of these Z840A's in, I will definately take a gander... Cheers.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-02-2008, 10:14 AM
From all the info I am gathering about bad boy mowers im not impressed with the cut quality and my closest dealer is 3 hours away. So in other words NO THANK YOU.

We do not have a Badboy dealer anywhere remotely close to me so for that reason, it's off the list.

delphied
03-02-2008, 11:02 AM
That's a good point. The Deere dealer close to me, which is small, seems to have a temporary feel about it. I do have an Exmark dealership even closer to me. I own an Exmark Turf Tracer HP which I like. Mabey I'll take a closer look at the Exmark. I had a problem with the local Exmark dealer & stopped going there a few years ago. Mabey it's time to let them make it right. Anyway, thank everyone. Any Exmark owners out there?

I bought an Exmark because I consider Exmark to be the benchmark in ZT mowers. I am not disappointed.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Something tells me that they are a fair bit more up here:canadaflag:. As everything is, I will look into it though, thanks.

I doubt it, the value of the American dollar has gotten so cheap, China is attempting to buy the United States.

dgZtrak737
03-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the info on this mower. My JD dealer actually wanted to show me this mower but I don't think it is available in Canada (yet). But.. he had good things to say about it. I do likr the 777, but if they get one of these Z840A's in, I will definately take a gander... Cheers.

I love my John Deere 737. My mother will not let me take care of her lawn which is about 3 acres. She loves to mow and wants her own mower at her house like mine. She is getting her a slightly used 07 737 with a bagger. She dosent want the bagger and I need a bigger one so she is going to sell it to me cheap. I am jealous hers is going to have the deluxe seat and a 7iron 2 deck. It also has the cannister air filter which is better than mine. Anyway, Good luck on the purchase, I dont think you will go wrong with and John Deere or Exmark Send us a pic when you buy one

Zooropa93
03-03-2008, 03:22 AM
I have massive bias agaisnt deere because of the way they treat their dealers who aren't massive giants. Give it a few years and you won't see deere dealers within 100 miles of each other, that's what they want.

sydanna Lawn Care
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I have massive bias agaisnt deere because of the way they treat their dealers who aren't massive giants. Give it a few years and you won't see deere dealers within 100 miles of each other, that's what they want.

Where I live there is a John Deere dealer & an Exmark dealer fairly close to me. The Exmark dealer did me wrong just under 3 years ago so I haven't returned since( well until two days ago to get a price), plus they only order exmark equipment & don't keep anything in stock. The JD dealer is small but there is a larger one about an hour from me. Hmmmmmm.....

sydanna Lawn Care
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I just got back from a Honda dealer to pick up some parts for my 21" & there was a Walker sitting on the showroom floor. I didn't consider one because I didn't think there was a dealer here. What a different machine! The more I learned about it, the more interested I became. You can use different sized decks, deck flips up for easy maintenance, it'll dump right into the truck box if you get that option, internal bagging system with no honk'n power flow on the side of the deck. However, it isn't the fastest machine. Any Walker owners out there care to pipe up? What do you think?

sydanna Lawn Care
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Actully, I did a search & found quite a bit of info on the Walker's. Sounds like they are a great mower for more detailed work. I love that they are so versitile!

tyaroch
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I like the 777 because of the liquid cooled engine and large frame. The 757 would be great as well. Can't beat the 7 iron II deck. The new 800 series are all air cooled. Air cooled is less maintainance I suppose, but will not last in the long term.

dgZtrak737
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Except for the Z840A its water cooled

sydanna Lawn Care
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Except for the Z840A its water cooled

I went to my Deere dealer to get a price on a 777 & he told me about the Z840A. I can't find a picture of it anywhere...

sydanna Lawn Care
03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I went to my Deere dealer to get a price on a 777 & he told me about the Z840A. I can't find a picture of it anywhere...

I found some pics ( on the JD website). & yes, they do make one that is liquid cooled. I do like the liquid cooled kawi's myself..

Illini_Fan
03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
We do not have a Badboy dealer anywhere remotely close to me so for that reason, it's off the list.

That would be correct. The Bad Boy dealer that got the 20 units, is in Lacombe, AB and the fellow that visited the factory is from Manitoba.

Illini_Fan
03-10-2008, 12:55 AM
I doubt it, the value of the American dollar has gotten so cheap, China is attempting to buy the United States.

The American consumer is happily, selling it to them. That is what is happening with the, " I want to buy it as cheap as I can" attitude, that they have.

Zooropa93
03-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Does Deere have any dealers in FL?

good question