PDA

View Full Version : Dump Body or Rack Body?

farmboy52787
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I am going to be purchasing a GMC 3500 Diesel this Spring and i dont know if i should get a rack body or dump body. I am doing the following

I will be using a billygoat debris loader (mounted to the trailer tongue) to load grass clippings and leaves into the back. So it will need higher sides and a cover to prevent clippings and leaves from going everywhere
I will put a sander on it during the winter and plow with it during the winter.
I will use it to haul barkmulch and possibly gravel
I may use it to haul salt sand before winter
I will be towing an enclosed trailer (as soon as i buy one) with it.
I live on a farm so i may help out my father by hauling round bales or square bales of hay or pallets of something
I want to mount a toolbox to the frame.
I looked at the switch-n-go but it didnt really interest me, it just more money.

Also if people tell me to get a rack body what kind of floor should it have, wood or steel or diamond plate? I have only owned a pickup and shoveling grass and leaves sucks. Also if anybody recommends a brand of body that would be helpful as well.

Just looking for everyones input and pros and cons of the experience they have had.

Thanks

gene gls
02-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Platform dump with a smooth steel floor so everything slides off real easy.

farmboy52787
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
looking for any more input...

Thanks

kreft
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
we have a 5500 rack dump and it was the best decision ever! We can haul dirt, stone, and mulch, still being able to dump the body. We take the sides off for pallets of pavers, skid steer atachments, wood, and every other projects we take on. I wood also get the steel floor, more durable, and won't rot like wood.

It sounds like rack dump would be perfect for you.

J&R Landscaping
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Rack body dump with a steel floor.

farmboy52787
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
as far as the racks, how durable are they? Are they easy to take off and put on? Are they all the same?

OhioMowerGuy
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I got a nice 2007 gmc 3500 diesel for sale on here.

vadeere
03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Platform dump with a smooth steel floor so everything slides off real easy.

x2 I would look at a flatbed with stake pockets and use wood sides. You can have 2 sets, one low set for when you are towing or hauling something heavy like gravel, and a high set for your debris loading applications.

barefeetny
03-06-2008, 12:06 AM
stake body sides with expanded metal sides works wonders... you can load anything from any angle.... you can allways put a solid board on the walls to haul sand...

if its a choice get a rack dump and have the best of both worlds

Gravel Rat
03-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Seeing you are using a regular 1 ton look at a aluminum flatdeck. Keep things light but strong so your not eating up payload.

A regular dump body is heavy and on a 1 ton truck it will leave you with maybe 3000lbs legal payload. A dumping flat should give you 4000-4500 depending on your final tare weight.

Dave3710
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I use a drop side dump, has some limitations, like I canít pull a gooseneck and the sides are lower than a rack not as good for brush and tree branches. I would go for a rack dump solid bulkhead (with window) with a cab protector, smooth steel floor, tarp system and hinged back doors. Cover the in-side of the sides with half inch ply, to keep them light so they can be lifted off easily. Under body tool boxes are very functional good idea.

If you get a flatbed try to get sides with it they are tough to find used side that will fit and new sides are very expensive.

However, if you are using a small loader or shoveling the dump may be better as it is lower. The drop side will accept forklift loading and maybe better for gravel and heavier materials. I guess it really depends on your uses.

There is some good information here on the Lawn site.

Good luck
Dave

farmboy52787
03-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Thank you for all your input, I am probably going to go with the flatbed. I had an idea though, what if i made a high capacity box that i could set on the bed and use that for using my truck loader to keep grass clippings and leaves contained? It could have 3 sides, with swinging doors on the back and a mesh tarp for a roof and i could use a forklift to easily put it on and take it off. Probably make it to fit in a stake pocket, then strap it down. What should it be made of, wood, steel, aluminum? It sounds like a good idea because if i want to convert to a flatbed easily i can use a forklift to take it off all in one piece.

gene gls
03-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Thank you for all your input, I am probably going to go with the flatbed. I had an idea though, what if i made a high capacity box that i could set on the bed and use that for using my truck loader to keep grass clippings and leaves contained? It could have 3 sides, with swinging doors on the back and a mesh tarp for a roof and i could use a forklift to easily put it on and take it off. Probably make it to fit in a stake pocket, then strap it down. What should it be made of, wood, steel, aluminum? It sounds like a good idea because if i want to convert to a flatbed easily i can use a forklift to take it off all in one piece.

I have high sides for my truck that I made in 2 sections for each side. I can put them on and off by myself when cleanup time comes. I used 1/4" Aluminum channel for the stakes and 1" pine boards bolted to the stakes. I made Aluminum cross bows for the top to support the mesh netting and also to help hold the sides from flopping back and forth. Barn doors on the back. I load from the front.

supercuts
03-07-2008, 08:49 AM
my f550 has a knaphied?? spelling?? landscape dump, its really a rack with solid bolted on sides and a side door, steel floor. i love it. i haul dirt, stones, leaves, easy to build a box on top and they make a chipper/arbor top for it.

Gravel Rat
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Keep everything modular and able to pin it together when it is mounted on to the deck of the truck. I wouldn't want anything that I would need a forklift to lift on and off. Maybe if you had a garage or carport that was tall enough you could back under and have a block and tackle hanging from the roof rafters that you could lift the box off the truck. When you need the encosed box again back under drop it down.

For me 99% of the jobs I do 10 inch side boards are good enough and I can heap enough onto my F-450 to fill the 12 foot deck. You just load the truck properly and strap the load down. I had some 2 foot sides and they are a pain to load anything from the side you can only load so much from the back. When your hauling branches I find I can only throw them up so far especially old fir and cedar limbs that are 10-12 feet long 1 to 2 inches in diameter. What I usually do is get a load thrown on put some straps over it compress it down take the straps off throw more on and usually thats it it is too high for me to reach. It is stacked 4 feet tall on the deck of the truck.

You would want your tall sides to be strong enough that you don't need a rear door to hold the sides from flopping out.

I can get away with 10 inch side boards but if you live in a city they may frown on a load like I haul, been hauling this way for the last 12 years. I never had anything blow off but I'am carefull to have loose stuff covered.

Having sides that are light are important even the 2x10 by 12' sides are heavy they are pressure treated. You also have to be carefull they are are not too light they bounce off the truck :laugh:

In my area we have some pretty good dips in the road you hit them the side boards do bounce. I had a tail board fall out and hit the road oops :cry:

I'am currently planning a new deck for my truck I will build it myself and I'am trying to decide do I want to build it out of tube or structural steel. I was looking at a deck built with rectangular tube perimeter rail and 2x2 cross members. The deck built out of tubing would give me a lower loading height.

Right now my current fixed deck is so high I have a hard time loading it. At 47 inches from the ground to the deck surface it is tough to grunt something up that high.

I did make a decision reading this post is I will use steel for decking. I was going to use wood I never had a dumping flatdeck with wood decking. It might be too sticky and stuff won't slide off easy. A deck with wood decking is 250-300lbs lighter but if the material on the deck won't slide off easy.

My brother said you have to use 3/16s smooth steel man that adds alot of extra weight. If I use 1/8th steel that is 537 lbs if I use 3/16s it is 739lbs.

My goal is to keep the deck light but strong my F-450 right now weighs 9300lbs.

dvblandscaping
03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
pics of sides? and leaf boxes for the flatbeds?

straightlineland
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
if you don't need to do a lot of heavy loads such as gravel and rock, consider the stake body. We equip our maintenanc trucks with stack bodies. We have them equiped with a hoist so that they will dump and they work very well. We use wood floors so that they are easy to replace if need be due to the salt, etc. We also find that if you get a stake body, have them put wire mesh window along the whole back bulk head, this makes plowing easier due to the improved rear visibality.

farmboy52787
03-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Arent rack and stake bodies the same thing? Is there a difference between them? Also thats kinda sad you need to turn around and look behind you to back up, thats what they invented mirrors for...Also hurts your neck too if you do that for 12 hours.

farmboy52787
03-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I use a drop side dump, has some limitations, like I canít pull a gooseneck and the sides are lower than a rack not as good for brush and tree branches. I would go for a rack dump solid bulkhead (with window) with a cab protector, smooth steel floor, tarp system and hinged back doors. Cover the in-side of the sides with half inch ply, to keep them light so they can be lifted off easily. Under body tool boxes are very functional good idea.

If you get a flatbed try to get sides with it they are tough to find used side that will fit and new sides are very expensive.

However, if you are using a small loader or shoveling the dump may be better as it is lower. The drop side will accept forklift loading and maybe better for gravel and heavier materials. I guess it really depends on your uses.

There is some good information here on the Lawn site.

Good luck
Dave
Is that a Crysteel E-Tipper body? How do you like it? Thanks

ConstSvcs
03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Rack body dump with a steel floor.

Yeah....Yeah......that's the ticket :clapping::clapping::clapping: