PDA

View Full Version : People who don't Pay

Skyking
02-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Is their a way to put something on their credit report??

lawnwizards
02-29-2008, 10:57 PM
olddebts.com

lawnman_scott
02-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Why not charge a month in advance? Thats what I do and it wourks very good.

Weekes
02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
This is why contracts are so good. Set up with a collection agency, contract lists fees associated so you don't have to share $ with collection agency.

Agency's will still go after you clients even if you have no spelled out fees, you may just have to share the $ with them. Look into prepare for the future.

bigw
02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
This cracks me up, i am not going through all that credit reporting or charging in advance... I have no worries what so ever about being paid we have a deal and if you dont pay me it better be because you died !

Az Gardener
02-29-2008, 11:50 PM
This cracks me up, i am not going through all that credit reporting or charging in advance... I have no worries what so ever about being paid we have a deal and if you dont pay me it better be because you died !

You better wake up and smell the coffee Big W I do pre pays and have contracts and I still get stiffed from time to time.

1MajorTom
03-01-2008, 12:30 AM

I got the impression that you are going to be dealing with a lot of elderly customers? YES they can be a pain in the butt, but if you can find good ones that don't complain, I can almost guarantee you won't have payment issues. We have 98 customers currently, and 82 of them are all over the age of 65. We have had very few times that someone has tried to stiff us, and I believe that's because elderly customers pay their bills FAST. And mind you, it took us years to find GOOD dependable older customers that valued our services. Anyone can pick up customers fast, but finding those gems takes time.

However, you will be in for a rude awakening and you won't be cracking up as you put it, if you are dealing with those types of people that are maxed out on credit cards and who are always trying to keep up with the Jones. If you are servicing those types of people, you WILL have payment problems.

Very few people on here claim to NOT have any payment problems. And those few people either are getting paid in advance (which is very smart if you can sell it), OR they are working for customers over the age of 65 who are living comfortably.

bigw
03-01-2008, 12:43 AM
my point is not that i dont think once in awhile i may have some late pays but if you think for one secound someone will just stiff me altogether then you simply just dont know me very well. Trust me one way or another you will pay me and like i said i am not worried about it because i will not sign up anyone i even think would stiff me.
So far all of my accounts are with either very well off and nice people or senior citizens that i am not worried at all about.
See i dont worry about people not paying me because i have no reason to believe they wont and when and if they dont i will deal with it! I dont know if you guys just sign any old body up because you are so desperate for an account but i will pick and choose who i sign up...this is my company and i will not sign just anyone just to make a deal.
Yesterday i walked into the house of a lady and stood their in a train wreck of a mess,house was destroyed and then i heard her complaing about how the last guy was expensive and so on and so on and i gave her a price i knew she would say no way too and then i thanked her and left...ive been in sales for 20 years and i can smell a bad pay 2 miles away!!

cgaengineer
03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Without a personal guarantee you cannot mark someones credit. But you can send them to a collection agency even without a contract or you can lien property as long as it has been within 90 days of last service.

bigw
03-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh and one more thing, my wife works for a very big propaine company and gues what she does their for the past 10 yrs? Thats right she is in collections and she deals with late and no pays everyday and has become an expert at collecting these funds.
So like i said i am not too worried about this problem and also lets not forget people we are talking about lawn mowing accounts here not major landscaping jobs,i mean ok you dont pay me for 1 months cuts wow a whole $165.00 that will be the last cut that you will get. Trust me you get 1 x to not pay me and you are history and even then I WILL GET PAID!!

1MajorTom
03-01-2008, 01:07 AM
You think bad pays live in dirty houses? Maybe so, maybe not, but kudos to you for turning down a customer that you didn't feel good about servicing.
But what about the attorney with 3 kids and a wife living in a $700,000 house driving a couple of luxury vehicles? Think he might be a bad pay? My point is, you can't know for certain who a good or bad pay is going to be. That's why there are so many lawnboy payment problems.... such as the lawnboy gets paid last. However, going on 10 years in business, we've been able to gauge that GOOD payers are elderly who almost 99% of the time will pay like lightening. Everything else is just a guess. It's a jungle out there as you're about to find out, good thing you're a tiger. ;)

echo8287
03-01-2008, 01:14 AM
"my point is not that i dont think once in awhile i may have some late pays but if you think for one secound someone will just stiff me altogether then you simply just dont know me very well. Trust me one way or another you will pay me and like i said i am not worried about it because i will not sign up anyone i even think would stiff me."

What are you gonna do beat em up? Battery charge. threaten them? Terroristic threat charge. shoot em? Prison time
If you believe you can tell who would or wouldn't stiff you by looking or talking to them you'd be extremely naive. I've had a preacher, a friend I'd known for 20 years, an accountant, a lawyer, and a doctor all stiff me before. After talking to any one of them you wouldn't think they would be like that.

bigw
03-01-2008, 01:20 AM
You think bad pays live in dirty houses? Maybe so, maybe not, but kudos to you for turning down a customer that you didn't feel good about servicing.
But what about the attorney with 3 kids and a wife living in a $700,000 house driving a couple of luxury vehicles? Think he might be a bad pay? My point is, you can't know for certain who a good or bad pay is going to be. That's why there are so many lawnboy payment problems.... such as the lawnboy gets paid last. However, going on 10 years in business, we've been able to gauge that GOOD payers are elderly who almost 99% of the time will pay like lightening. Everything else is just a guess. It's a jungle out there as you're about to find out, good thing you're a tiger. ;)

Do you think i am like 12 yrs old or what? Ive been around the block again and again so i know what its like in the real world, this is not my first day of school here. I will tell you the same thing i tell everyone that thinks like you do...i may have been born on a tuesday but it wasnt last tuesday!! whats this " as you're about to find out " crap? This aint the first business ive ever ran or been apart of so dont talk to me like im some little kid ok!

bigw
03-01-2008, 01:27 AM
"my point is not that i dont think once in awhile i may have some late pays but if you think for one secound someone will just stiff me altogether then you simply just dont know me very well. Trust me one way or another you will pay me and like i said i am not worried about it because i will not sign up anyone i even think would stiff me."

What are you gonna do beat em up? Battery charge. threaten them? Terroristic threat charge. shoot em? Prison time
If you believe you can tell who would or wouldn't stiff you by looking or talking to them you'd be extremely naive. I've had a preacher, a friend I'd known for 20 years, an accountant, a lawyer, and a doctor all stiff me before. After talking to any one of them you wouldn't think they would be like that.

omg you guys are killing me...do you really have that many people that dont pay you?? wow either you are some real push over or you do such a terrible job that all these people dont want to pay you. No i wont kick their butts because i wont have too but that dont mean i wont get paid and like i said so freaking what if i lost 1 months pay from a deadbeat , that would be the last time they would get cut. I would also get my money for my services no matter if you want to believe me or not. I have an idea why dont you sign up for a weekly lawn service with me and then dont pay me and ill let you find out what i would do ok ?

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-01-2008, 01:32 AM
you can tell when people wont pay, my first year i got 2 of them, they fell a month behind and then one guy kept sending me rubnber checks

the other guy would pay me about 80% or so of the monthly invoice which eventually built up to 170 bucks, at the end of the season he claimed i diseased his yard and cut it when it didnt need mowing......i kept sendign past due invoices to his house and then he threatned me with harrasment charges (the guy was a lawyer so it scared me off awhile)

a year later i roundup & water-balloned his yard, childish yes, but was woth 170 dollars in laugh-form to see giant brown patches all over his yard

now if i dont recieve my check by the 15th of the next month after a billing cycle, the lawn stops getting cut, no ones ever missed a payment knowing my terms

bigw
03-01-2008, 01:45 AM
you can tell when people wont pay, my first year i got 2 of them, they fell a month behind and then one guy kept sending me rubnber checks

the other guy would pay me about 80% or so of the monthly invoice which eventually built up to 170 bucks, at the end of the season he claimed i diseased his yard and cut it when it didnt need mowing......i kept sendign past due invoices to his house and then he threatned me with harrasment charges (the guy was a lawyer so it scared me off awhile)

a year later i roundup & water-balloned his yard, childish yes, but was woth 170 dollars in laugh-form to see giant brown patches all over his yard

now if i dont recieve my check by the 15th of the next month after a billing cycle, the lawn stops getting cut, no ones ever missed a payment knowing my terms

exactly my point if someone dont pay its only because you let it get that way, fool me once....

1MajorTom
03-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Do you think i am like 12 yrs old or what? Ive been around the block again and again so i know what its like in the real world, this is not my first day of school here. I will tell you the same thing i tell everyone that thinks like you do...i may have been born on a tuesday but it wasnt last tuesday!! whats this " as you're about to find out " crap? This aint the first business ive ever ran or been apart of so dont talk to me like im some little kid ok!
Now you didn't talk to me like this when I wrote your newspaper ad now did you? :laugh:

p.s. you say, "I wil tell you the same thing I tell everyone that thinks like you do." I don't believe I think like everyone else, I am quite capable of forming my own opinions, I never follow the crowd.
And I think you'll be alright bigw, nobody figures it all out until they get their boots muddy. It's all trial and error, and that's what makes this forum great. It saves people some errors... however, you seem to get ruffled if anyone tries to tell you anything. I'll just chalk it up to nerves.

bigw
03-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Now you didn't talk to me like this when I wrote your newspaper ad now did you? :laugh:

p.s. you say, "I wil tell you the same thing I tell everyone that thinks like you do." I don't believe I think like everyone else, I am quite capable of forming my own opinions, I never follow the crowd.
And I think you'll be alright bigw, nobody figures it all out until they get their boots muddy. It's all trial and error, and that's what makes this forum great. It saves people some errors... however, you seem to get ruffled if anyone tries to tell you anything. I'll just chalk it up to nerves.

well back then you didnt talk to me like i was some dumb little kid either. I dont get ruffeld just because you tell me something i get ruffeld when you talk to me like im some idiot that has no brains, i mean come on i am 44 yrs old and you are telling me its a... jungle out their "as you will find out" like im some first grader off to school for the first day.
Look you did a great job on my add and i thank you for the help and am still running that add now and i dont mean to come off as a jerk but it gets sooooo old with some of the bs that guys talk on here.
I mean ok so someone dont pay me for cutting their lawn 1 month do you really think i would let that go on and on before i either stopped cutting them or did whatever it took to get my money?
This is such a stupid argument if you ask me,if someone has this problem happening to them so much then they need to either get a set of balls or go work for someone else because i just dont see this becoming such an issue like some others do. Any way sorry for getting upset with you buddy and once again thanks for the help with the add!!

Whitey4
03-01-2008, 02:16 AM
bigw, are you always this thin skinned? You take the most innocent comments and go off the deep end. You take everything like some kind of attack... maybe this is how you motivate yourself? A challenge to prove everyone wrong, when only a very small number of people have actually made negative comments, or even just suggest another approach with the best of intentions?

I had to laugh when you started your "my postcard is aces" thread. You started off by saying how everyone was wrong, it wasn't too early to do postcards. Who said it was too early? Two... three people? You have this me against the world mindset it seems. You imagine everyone is against you.

Your sheer tenacity will likely translate into a successful business, but man, it's just a messgae board. Stop being so freakin paranoid. People try to relate their experiences, and you get insulted.

The last few posts I wrote in direct response to you, I found myself going back over three times trying to see if I said something that would get you p-o'd. I'd go back and change something, thinking well, he might take that the wrong way, better change it.... it isn't worth the effort. You will still get upset unless it's all wines and roses, accolades and congradulations. You don't want advice... you want pats on the back.

Maybe once you get this thing up and running, and drop the chip on your shoulder, you won't be so defensive. It's a message board dude... you get your pats on the back from your family, friends and if you're good, from your customers. You won't find the bigw cheerleaders on a message board.

Now, I guess I should go and hide, because the chit storm is going to come as sure as the sun will rise in the morning. That's OK.... it's only a message board.

bigw
03-01-2008, 02:39 AM
bigw, are you always this thin skinned? You take the most innocent comments and go off the deep end. You take everything like some kind of attack... maybe this is how you motivate yourself? A challenge to prove everyone wrong, when only a very small number of people have actually made negative comments, or even just suggest another approach with the best of intentions?

I had to laugh when you started your "my postcard is aces" thread. You started off by saying how everyone was wrong, it wasn't too early to do postcards. Who said it was too early? Two... three people? You have this me against the world mindset it seems. You imagine everyone is against you.

Your sheer tenacity will likely translate into a successful business, but man, it's just a messgae board. Stop being so freakin paranoid. People try to relate their experiences, and you get insulted.

The last few posts I wrote in direct response to you, I found myself going back over three times trying to see if I said something that would get you p-o'd. I'd go back and change something, thinking well, he might take that the wrong way, better change it.... it isn't worth the effort. You will still get upset unless it's all wines and roses, accolades and congradulations. You don't want advice... you want pats on the back.

Maybe once you get this thing up and running, and drop the chip on your shoulder, you won't be so defensive. It's a message board dude... you get your pats on the back from your family, friends and if you're good, from your customers. You won't find the bigw cheerleaders on a message board.

Now, I guess I should go and hide, because the chit storm is going to come as sure as the sun will rise in the morning. That's OK.... it's only a message board.

OMG now hear you go how did i know you were going to put your 2 cents in this thread? First of all this was a discussion between A & B so C yourself out of it,why do you always feel the need to jump into other peoples arguments?

Their was way more then 1 or 2 people that jumped on me about mailing my cards to early and you were probably one of them, also i dont want or need pats on the back but i also dont want or need to be talked to like i am some little kid or bashed everytime i say something on here by certain people.

I am not the only one that says their are people on here that do nothing but lay back and wait to bust on someone and you know i am right.Just because you can talk crap to some of the people on here that dont mean everyone is going to take your crap,i for one wont do it!
I can care less about how many times you feel the need to change your post when you talk to me, be a man and just say what you feel dont hold back now you never have before. I want you to go find me one post that i wrote were i bashed someone or talked negative to them first like i can show you. You have never liked me from the get go and thats ok because not everyone will like you either. No matter what i post within 2 replies their is always a negative or smart as* comment to always follow and i for one am tired of it and am not taking it anymore so if youd like you can simply just stay out of my business if it bothers you so much.

Whitey4
03-01-2008, 02:45 AM
OMG now hear you go how did i know you were going to put your 2 cents in this thread? First of all this was a discussion between A & B so C yourself out of it,why do you always feel the need to jump into other peoples arguments?

Their was way more then 1 or 2 people that jumped on me about mailing my cards to early and you were probably one of them, also i dont want or need pats on the back but i also dont want or need to be talked to like i am some little kid or bashed everytime i say something on here by certain people.

I am not the only one that says their are people on here that do nothing but lay back and wait to bust on someone and you know i am right.Just because you can talk crap to some of the people on here that dont mean everyone is going to take your crap,i for one wont do it!
I can care less about how many times you feel the need to change your post when you talk to me, be a man and just say what you feel dont hold back now you never have before. I want you to go find me one post that i wrote were i bashed someone or talked negative to them first like i can show you. You have never liked me from the get go and thats ok because not everyone will like you either. No matter what i post within 2 replies their is always a negative or smart as* comment to always follow and i for one am tired of it and am not taking it anymore so if youd like you can simply just stay out of my business if it bothers you so much.

I rest my case, your honor.

bigw
03-01-2008, 02:50 AM
I rest my case, your honor.

You have no case !!

Az Gardener
03-01-2008, 02:54 AM
well back then you didnt talk to me like i was some dumb little kid either. I dont get ruffeld just because you tell me something i get ruffeld when you talk to me like im some idiot that has no brains, i mean come on i am 44 yrs old

You may be 44 but you talk like the dumb little kid you speak of. So someone stiffs you for a 30-60 mow job and your going to rough them up? :hammerhead: Pretty easy to do when you are marketing to seniors. Your so smart that it borders on Psychic abilities and can know who may or may not pay you? ;) You have skipped right on past stupid on to arrogant.

My wife would say you have "short man complex" I think maybe its late and you have had too many of :drinkup: these. At any rate you are loosing credibility pretty quick.

That dosen't matter though cause your smarter than all of us you don't give a ratz azz. There I saved you the effort of a response. :laugh:

bigw
03-01-2008, 02:56 AM
You may be 44 but you talk like the dumb little kid you speak of. So someone stiffs you for a 30-60 mow job and your going to rough them up? :hammerhead: Pretty easy to do when you are marketing to seniors. Your so smart that it borders on Psychic abilities and can know who may or may not pay you? ;) You have skipped right on past stupid on to arrogant.

My wife would say you have "short man complex" I think maybe its late and you have had too many of :drinkup: these. At any rate you are loosing credibility pretty quick.

That dosen't matter though cause your smarter than all of us you don't give a ratz azz. There I saved you the effort of a response. :laugh:

you are such a dope, who ever said one word about beating someone up you idiot, you talk alot of crap over the computer tough guy!!! Short man complex i dont think so obvioulsy you havent met me lately.

Weekes
03-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Back to point.

OP there are ways to protect yourself and get your money. They are simple and effective and legal and do not require round-up bombing a lawyers lawn.

Look in the phone book and call one of the credit agencies (try to find a reputable one, possible one that will use legal non round-up bomb tactics). It is simple, easy, and covers you for those who don't pay and also those who might bounce a check.

Costs you nothing if you include it as part of contract and add collection fees.

I feel that just because my clients know I have a collection agency backing me it helps them make timely payments. I have only had a couple try and stiff me previously, but it pays to be smart and plan ahead.

Scagguy
03-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Is their a way to put something on their credit report??

Forget their credit report. File a lein on their property. Currently, I have 4 leins filed. It may be next week or could be 10 years from now when someone decides to settle the debt. That's fine. The interest charges will be staggering. When I file a lein it's a matter of last resort. You can bet that when the time comes I will be a royal pita and make it as hard as possible to settle with me. They shouldn't have screwed me in the first place and I will pay them back in spades.

Skyking
03-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks fore your responce, we do not have that many no pays or even slow pays, it just gets to me that some people are like that.

TREEGUARD
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
The lien is the way to go you'll get your money in the end. But the round up ballons are a good one.

IN2MOWN
03-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Everyone has people that dont pay. Thats just the way it is. The bigger question is what is it worth to you to go after them? How much of a loss will piss you enough off.

I have had people stiff me for a months work. Whatever. Im not going to waste anymore time on them by calling a collection agency or taking them to small claims court. Its just not worth it.

I know it sucks but thats the way of the world. Move on and learn from the experience.

CustomKare
03-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Only had 3 no payers last year. My 8-1/2' Western snow plow and I made a couple visits this winter to those folks. Oops- I left a 4' wall of snow in thier driveways!:nono:

thefed
03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I pity the 2 customers who didn't want to pay by the end of the season...I've had a LONG winter to remind them of their debts.

Landrus2
03-01-2008, 11:01 AM
That is part of owning or own business.:waving:

bigw
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Everyone has people that dont pay. Thats just the way it is. The bigger question is what is it worth to you to go after them? How much of a loss will piss you enough off.

I have had people stiff me for a months work. Whatever. Im not going to waste anymore time on them by calling a collection agency or taking them to small claims court. Its just not worth it.

I know it sucks but thats the way of the world. Move on and learn from the experience.

my point exactly if it becomes to much of a hassel oh well they just dont get my service's anymore but trust me i will not let it go easy if i am still owed for work done!

Lugnut
03-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I always enjoyed returning leaves after a fall cleanup that doesn't get paid for, and had the pleasure of repo-ing several trees and arborvitae from a homeowner who claimed we never put them in in the first place, so they refused to pay. Guess they were happier looking out at the 15 big empty holes left in their front yard.

Landrus2
03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I always enjoyed returning leaves after a fall cleanup that doesn't get paid for, and had the pleasure of repo-ing several trees and arborvitae from a homeowner who claimed we never put them in in the first place, so they refused to pay. Guess they were happier looking out at the 15 big empty holes left in their front yard.

Let me tell some good advice. donít do that again in the feature
You will lose in a court of law.:waving:

topsites
03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
omg you guys are killing me...do you really have that many people that dont pay you?? wow either you are some real push over or you do such a terrible job that all these people dont want to pay you. No i wont kick their butts because i wont have too but that dont mean i wont get paid and like i said so freaking what if i lost 1 months pay from a deadbeat , that would be the last time they would get cut. I would also get my money for my services no matter if you want to believe me or not. I have an idea why dont you sign up for a weekly lawn service with me and then dont pay me and ill let you find out what i would do ok ?

Right but one month of non-pay is still someone who never paid...

Guess we know your little secret :laugh:

Big Bad Bob
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
olddebts.com

I've done that and no result. First and foremost, be sure the customer is also the property owner. Had one who said she owned the property but was only renting. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=202546
I got with Olddebts.com gave them the info, they sent letters, came back to me as, "temporarily unable to deliver". Post office says that this means they aren't accepting ANY mail.? WTF? She changed her phone # so no calls got through. After exhausting all those options, I turned it over to their collections dept where for 33% they actively pursue the account. Don't know exactly what they can do and I don't even care if I don't get any money and Olddebts keeps it all. I just want the bi*ch to pay.
Always get confirmation that they aren't renters, always get a ssn or dl#. If they pay by check, this is a must. Makes it much easier to collect if they are deadbeats.
I tried prepay last year and if I forced the issue, I'd only have 3 customers. Hell, the garbage man is prepay. Why won't people go with prepay for lawn service?

topsites
03-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I think for myself no matter how big or bad I am (or think I am) there is always someone out there who is bigger and badder. Most of it does boil down to having a back bone and persistence, you do need to stand up for yourself and I think we got this part covered :laugh:

Also pre-screening or cherry picking, don't take them on if you so much as think they might, good.
And not letting it go too far, cut them off soon as it starts, very good.

All of that helps and I preach that because it does work for 98%- 99% of them.
But much beyond that, unless you get paid upfront, it's nothing doing.
Even then I've heard folks pay upfront but the work gets done before the check comes back from the bank (NSF).
So get paid cash?
I'd say it's only a matter of time one of them hands over fake moolah and you don't know it's fake until the bank tells you.

Sooner or later they either run like punk and you can never catch up to them, or better yet they come outside ready to go... I mean you want your money then come and get it... Been there, not so much that the guy was that big but he was ready to fight and now, it just ain't worth it.

Of course there's a difference between 2000 dollars and 40 bucks, but a stiff is a stiff is a stiff... If you're acting like the guys that are only out a month's service are not stiffing you then I think you might be in denial, but I don't know.

So I also think what the guys are trying to say, it happens.
We don't allow it, but entirely preventable it isn't.

you are such a dope, who ever said one word about beating someone up you idiot, you talk alot of crap over the computer tough guy!!! Short man complex i dont think so obvioulsy you havent met me lately.

All right I do see where you're coming from, but them's fighting words and if I were a customer who don't mind a good fight and you talk like that I just might be up in your face lickety split, then what you gonna do? I'm not saying I would, but when that is what it boils down to, there comes a day someone takes you up on the offer.

Even if you didn't mean it like that, because it sure comes off like it.
Because I've had that happen to me, dude come out and was ready...
It wasn't but 50 bucks so I was like nahhh that's all right you know?
But dude still stiffed me.

topsites
03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks fore your responce, we do not have that many no pays or even slow pays, it just gets to me that some people are like that.

In my case what helped is setting up a systematic process, everyone who hasn't paid after 30 days gets a letter. 45 days a 2nd letter and the third comes at day 55 so it gets worse and fast... Then by the 60-70 day mark I send it off to the collection agency.

It doesn't fix the problem in and of itself, a good half of those who get to the collection agency stage never pay, and just that knowledge doesn't help much either. Some Lco's let the collection agency handle everything from the first letter on, me I like a more hands-on approach until that final it done got to that point, but whatever works.

Having it down to a systematic 1-2-3 type of a plan boils it down to "just more in a day's work" and it helps considerably.
The collection agency also helps take the edge off my anger, I don't feel 100% cool and smooth about it, I still get angry over it, but the absolute worst of it is gone. I might still feel like a butt whooping but I don't plot on murdering them, lets put it that way.

So I think what we try and do is first minimize the problem as much as possible, then have a plan in place, much like with lawn mowing here is what we do and how we do it. That's it, stuff to do, oh yeah, such and such letter 1, lalala (not quite, but it helps).

mason dude
03-01-2008, 02:51 PM
so in conclusion, little w has nothing to contribute, seriously just reread this. For those of us that read this forum to learn , I guess we'll just have to scroll past those irrelevant post from now on, not responding to a toddler is the best way to stop the nonsense:laugh:

HOOLIE
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Probably some liquid courage kickin' in for Big Dubya, given it was Friday nite late...:laugh:

Weekes
03-01-2008, 03:00 PM
For anyone who is interested in getting their money.

It is simple to use a credit agency. ALL I DO is send a form letter filling in person name address and such and current bill. Its as simple as sending a client a regular bill.

No wasted gas or my expensive time, just a few minutes. NSF check I set up so my bank sends them the info. Again I do nothing on these NSF, the credit agency takes care of all of it.

Honestly in this business I don't have hardly any accounts that go late. A simple letter added to a reminder bill, reminding them that if the forgot to pay they should get caught up before we send it out to our collections. Amazingly response is pretty fast. And again its a rare occurance but hey I don't want to work for free, so I want all my money.

Honestly why wait on a lien when you have a company that will take them to court for you in a few months after delinquency. And they pay all court costs.

It is so simple I don't understand why people are making it sound not worth the effort. People pay us to care for lawns and we don't expect them to get out there and help us. That is how collections work you give them info and they do all the work.

JayD
03-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Forget their credit report. File a lein on their property. Currently, I have 4 leins filed. It may be next week or could be 10 years from now when someone decides to settle the debt. That's fine. The interest charges will be staggering. When I file a lein it's a matter of last resort. You can bet that when the time comes I will be a royal pita and make it as hard as possible to settle with me. They shouldn't have screwed me in the first place and I will pay them back in spades.

Is there a certain amount that they stiff you before you can take action?

JayD
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
:laugh:Only had 3 no payers last year. My 8-1/2' Western snow plow and I made a couple visits this winter to those folks. Oops- I left a 4' wall of snow in thier driveways!:nono:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::clapping::clapping::clapping:

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Im not 100% sure but I dont think there is. My friend has filed mechanics leins before to get his money.

Weekes
03-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Credit Agency will go after them for any amount.

bigw
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Probably some liquid courage kickin' in for Big Dubya, given it was Friday nite late...:laugh:

I dont need no liquid to have a set ! This site sometimes drives me to drink though.

Scagguy
03-02-2008, 11:13 AM

State Minimum is $100.00. My minimum is $250.00. As I said,it's used as a last resort. When I have to do it, all gloves are off, and have no problem getting even, legally. If I can cause one of these jerks to loose the sale on his house, I'll do it.

PearceLawn
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont need no liquid to have a set ! This site sometimes drives me to drink though.

Me too!! There sure are a lot of arrogant know-it-alls on here!:rolleyes:

Lawn-Sharks
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Thats what im saying!

Weekes
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Without collections or liens what can you do?

OK so these were fine illegal examples, so again what can you do?

Thats what im saying!

And this kind of support will not help you much when that lawyer takes you to court for damaging private property.

I hope no one feels I am attacking them. I AM NOT. I am talking about a serious matter that does affect all of us.

When someone does not pay you have to legal options credit agencies and liens. Other than that you step out of your legal bounds and risk losing your business. Threats become harassment very quick and a judge would rather put you out of business than have someone using threat style tactics in their town.

So if you can tell me a better legal, safe way to get paid that will not risk me losing my business then I might listen to "no one ever cheats me" responses.
Tell me how you legally plan to get paid if not using the two legitimate sources mentioned in this thread. As I can see their are none.

There is a reason that every legal industry uses the same collection tactics.

1. Collections 2. Liens

Stay legal, stay in business.

Big Bad Bob
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Without collections or liens what can you do?

OK so these were fine illegal examples, so again what can you do?

And this kind of support will not help you much when that lawyer takes you to court for damaging private property.

I hope no one feels I am attacking them. I AM NOT. I am talking about a serious matter that does affect all of us.

When someone does not pay you have to legal options credit agencies and liens. Other than that you step out of your legal bounds and risk losing your business. Threats become harassment very quick and a judge would rather put you out of business than have someone using threat style tactics in their town.

So if you can tell me a better legal, safe way to get paid that will not risk me losing my business then I might listen to "no one ever cheats me" responses.
Tell me how you legally plan to get paid if not using the two legitimate sources mentioned in this thread. As I can see their are none.

There is a reason that every legal industry uses the same collection tactics.

1. Collections 2. Liens

Stay legal, stay in business.

Very good and valid points. These other "options" may seem attractive but they just put you in the category of thugs. Remember, we are trying to put an image of integrity before the public. Antics like this just make all of us look like immature kids. I'd rather lose out on the money than to disparage the entire industry by resorting to gangster tactics. If you get behind on your car payments, do you think the bank would resort to such illegal tactics? No. They take LEGAL action against you. They don't just come in and take your car. They follow the proper LEGAL course of action. Run your business like a business and you will do just fine. Do not take the law into your own hands. Americans seem to have a problem understanding the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL.
Sure I have also lost out on some money. Approximately $450.00 in the last 5 years. Sometimes that's the cost of doing business.
Committing vandalism against someone's property doesn't discourage a deadbeat from being a deadbeat. It doesn't discourage other good customers from being deadbeats. It just puts those of us who try to make an honest living in a bad light. I wouldn't hire someone who used thug practices against anyone for any reason. It might make you feel better but it doesn't get you your money either. It can actually lose you money.
Hell, I know a guy who fired his roofer halfway through the job because he found out the roofer had been arrested, 10 years ago, for public intox. The buying public can be strange and finicky.

And yes, my attitude has changed in the last 10 years.

greenleaf1
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Last year we had a few accts that did not want to pay. It seemed mostly to be people we knew. This yr we are going to be more selective of the area we mow in and are not servicing anybody we know.

Turfcutters Plus
03-03-2008, 12:56 AM
I got the impression that you are going to be dealing with a lot of elderly customers? YES they can be a pain in the butt, but if you can find good ones that don't complain, I can almost guarantee you won't have payment issues. We have 98 customers currently, and 82 of them are all over the age of 65. We have had very few times that someone has tried to stiff us, and I believe that's because elderly customers pay their bills FAST. And mind you, it took us years to find GOOD dependable older customers that valued our services. Anyone can pick up customers fast, but finding those gems takes time.

However, you will be in for a rude awakening and you won't be cracking up as you put it, if you are dealing with those types of people that are maxed out on credit cards and who are always trying to keep up with the Jones. If you are servicing those types of people, you WILL have payment problems.

Very few people on here claim to NOT have any payment problems. And those few people either are getting paid in advance (which is very smart if you can sell it), OR they are working for customers over the age of 65 who are living comfortably.The prize elderly always pay on time.This contributes highly to my wealth today.I do have some good commercials but VERY hard to find.Divorced apt. owner stiffed me $400 this year.Yes another commercial a**hole!:hammerhead:

green_mark
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I think I can offer something here that will make a lot of your lives easier.

We have been in business over 21 years and have learned that those who don't pay are generally people who set out from the start to do so.

On each of our invoices we run the following statement.

TERMS: ALL INVOICES MUST BE PAID WITHIN 15 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF DELIVERY/SERVICE. WITHOUT EXCEPTION, ALL PAYMENTS RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL BE ASSESSED A MINIMUM $7.00 OR 2% STATEMENT/LATE FEE, WHICHEVER IS GREATER. IF COLLECTION IS REQUIRED ALL COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO THE INVOICE AND ALL UNPAID SERVICES WILL GO TO THE REGULAR RETAIL PRICES.

We send statements every two weeks and we have letters that follow-up with an explanation that 'depending on how old the account is' get's increasing 'informative' such as please pay attention the the 'terms' section of all your invoices.

Then it moves into more 'education' and a statement pleading with them that we don't want to enforce the terms and to please call us or email and if they are in dire financial straits we are here to help.

Then finally we inform them that 'retail pricing' would increase their bill by ~300% plus recalculation of all late fees, collection,etc.

By this time I get some very interesting responses. Most of them with extreme apologies and commitments to do better in the future and others where they want to fight but have no grounds to do so and then they pay knowing what is coming next.

As soon as you inform them that the ~300.00 bill is turning into a ~900.00 bill plus late fees and collection...wow! We have their attention!

jdramr4
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I switch last year to prepay or debit or credit only. The most I was out in 07 was one cut.

AI Inc
03-03-2008, 11:43 AM

Im with ya here. Educated intelligent people dont want a headache over $50 or $100 . If those people are not paying you it is usualy because they are unhappy with something and that something can usualy be taken care of with a phone conversation.