PDA

View Full Version : Google earth and Iphones

ICT Bill
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I saw the coolest thing the other day from purely organic lawn care in Maine. They are a service company no lawn mowers

A customer calls and says "how much to do my lawn". Jim whips out his Iphone and says "whats your address?" he puts it into his Iphone. Up comes a picture from above of the area highlighting the address.
He zooms in and outlines the property with his finger and hits another button.
The darn phone says 5400 square feet.

So Jim gives the guy an answer over the phone.
The whole transaction took about 15 seconds
The customer says " great, when can you start"

He also has GPS set up in each truck which has pushpins for each location to be serviced that day, blue for one truck Red for another. The driver doesn't even have to think, just drive. It is interactive so if someone calls during the day you can change the drivers route by giving one site to the other truck or adding sites for the day.

I thought it was very cool and effecient, Steve Jobs rocks

Damian
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I hope Jim checks the address out on the street/mouse/maiblox before he provides service. Me and my friend both have found that when you type in our addresses, Google shows the wrong house/address...

PearceLawn
03-01-2008, 11:26 AM
O.K. now that is too freakin' cool!! I wish I was in a position to get the iphone and use it that way. What a time-saver.

tb8100
03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I hope Jim checks the address out on the street/mouse/maiblox before he provides service. Me and my friend both have found that when you type in our addresses, Google shows the wrong house/address...

Mine gives me bunk info every now and then but 9 times out of 10 it's dead on. More than that really. My iphone map has saved me from being lost so many times it's not even funny.

kleankutslawn
03-01-2008, 11:51 AM
so you guys think the iphone is worth the money?

tb8100
03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
so you guys think the iphone is worth the money?

yes. You can get the refurb 4gbs for $199 now and the 8gbs for $249 with the full warranty. That's about the same as a Motorola RAZR!

macguy
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I haven't used Google earth on mine all that much but I don't remember it being able to give you the square footage of a property. Maybe it has to do with how well the area in question has been mapped. The larger cities seem to have more detail than smaller ones and rural areas.

kleankutslawn
03-01-2008, 01:49 PM
ill look at getting one today

mowerbrad
03-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I would love to be able to just whip out an iphone and give an exact estimate right over the phone and not even have to go to look at the yard.

BeautifulBlooms
03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I know what you were trying to say here but the words "exact estimate" don't work together well.

I too think this would be a cool thing to have, but anything given overt he phone would eb an estimate. If you give the estimate and the guy balks hen maybe a visit is required, but at least he/she would know your ballpark charge.

If they are happy theny ou can go out and look at the property and make sure the estimate was fair, but I know technology is good but don't rely on it completely, make sure to check yourself on each property.

lawntimenosee
03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
yes. You can get the refurb 4gbs for $199 now and the 8gbs for $249 with the full warranty. That's about the same as a Motorola RAZR!

got a link for the 4 gb refurb please?

lawntimenosee
03-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, after a quick google search all I could find says these are only available in the northeast.

Looks like a good deal if you can find this...

http://iphonetouch.blorge.com/2008/03/01/att-offering-refurbished-iphones-for-199-with-activation/

EliteImpressions
03-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I basically do the same thing at home but I use zillow.com. I just type in the address and it will let me know the sq ft of the lot and it will show me the house using the Microsoft Virtual Earth. It take me a few seconds to let the person know the quote. I think the easier you make it for the customer to sign up the higher the chance they will. (I may be wrong since I have only one account so far, but I will be happy with 5-10 this year anyway.)

ICT Bill
03-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I believe Jim had to subscribe to a certain service that is networked with google earth

I'll call him on Monday and ask

john_incircuit
03-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I believe Jim had to subscribe to a certain service that is networked with google earth

I'll call him on Monday and ask

He is probably using Google Earth Pro. Depending on how many licenses you need, it is somewhere between $200 and 400. It runs on any laptop / PC or Iphone with Internet connection.

Supper Grassy
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
That is pretty cool that he can do all that from the Iphone

john_incircuit
03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
That is pretty cool that he can do all that from the Iphone

The Iphone is just one of the many phones that have an Internet browser built in. There are many, many more models on the market that allow you to connect to the Internet. The Iphone is innovative with its user interface, but the basic function modules like cell phone, Internet browser, Mp3 player and rudimentary PDA are available from other companies as well.

freshprince94
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
i phones are too small for my head. the mike dosent reach all the way to my mouth and it echos. but it's a cool phone.

BrandonV
03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
bought some iphones, love them to death, email, contact management, and calendars are all SUPER. We bought the iphones because all our office computers are macs and they were the easiest to implement and everyone all ready knows how to work them for the most part. My mom even can run it... says a lot for the iphone there. I looked at blackberry but there was no way she'd ever get into that. she loves her iphone.

brucec32
03-03-2008, 02:51 AM

Yep, had one of those last summer. The address didn't match the lot shown on the map. Luckily I actually show up in person to quote and also noticed the newly installed and incredibly complex terraces in back that wouldn't show on the satellite pics, which had to be mowed with a 21", and the super undulating terrain in front that also had to be mowed with a tiny mower and again wouldn't show in a pic. Also, many new customers are new homes and roads are often not even listed.

I mow 1/4 acre lots for $45 and other 1/4 acre lots for $32 a pop. I also know that if I meet the prospect I'm going to have a better shot at the job than just competing on price.

I would assume doing treatments you'd have similar issues with shrubs and trees near lawns, shade issues, etc. Maybe as a screening tool to weed out people not even in the ballpark budgetwise with a quick estimate, but then you're going to show up and if it's higher they're going to be suspicious you're pulling a lowball offer/ high actual price upsell scam.