PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

jnova35
03-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I know it is different by state, but how much is your insurance costing you guys? Also what kind do you carry and how much on equipment? I have about $12,000 is new equipment, should i insure the whole 12 or go for like 10 or what? Thanks just starting out and trying to get a good idea.

Landrus2
03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
What type of insurance. are you looking for equipment insurance, or liability and workmanís comp?:waving:

jnova35
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Just what most people carry. I am being quoated for liability and equipment. for liability with 300,000 for liability and 100 dollar deductible and it is 797 a year. for equipment for coverage on 15,000 its 270 a year. how does it sound? is it the right coverage? thanks for the reply

Landrus2
03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Just what most people carry. I am being quoated for liability and equipment. for liability with 300,000 for liability and 100 dollar deductible and it is 797 a year. for equipment for coverage on 15,000 its 270 a year. how does it sound? is it the right coverage? thanks for the reply

Are you going to have your employees on pay roll? :waving:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-01-2008, 12:35 PM
First off, I don't know what type of business you have (maint, other), but you might want to look at getting more GL coverage, at least 500K but a million is better. Get some more quotes with some independent agents. $300K GL for $797 seems very high. I have $500K for $135 annual (Grinnell)
For equipment coverage, this would probably be covered under an Inland Marine form. You have to ask yourself "Can I self insure the value of my equipment, or should I have a company insure it?" If you choose to insure with a company, they may want you to list all of your equipment and you may not have the choice of picking/choosing what to list. Just ask your agent about the stipulations.
Tell you what, what you really need to do is sit down with an agent, tell him/her about your operations, and he/she will recommend coverages to adequately insure you.

jnova35
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
No employees on payroll. And who are Independent insurance agents? just wondering because i have never delt with any of this. I am sitting down with an agent on monday but i just wanted an idea before i talked with her. thankyou guys

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Independent Insurance agents are agents who represent multiple insurance companies and will work to place you with the best fit company. Simply ask the agent you are going to talk to if she is an Independent Agent. Your other option is something like a State Farm, an exclusive agent, but generally you are not going to get the best coverage and especially the best premiums going that route. Stick to independents...

ghfire
03-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Just do your research. Get as many quotes as you can i just went through this and the first quote i got for gl was 1163$ a year through state farm. I finally found a broke in my area and got 1mill/2mill gl for 401$. I think your best bet would be to find a broker.