PDA

View Full Version : Hunza Twig & Walkway Lite

Desertdweller
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a customer looking for something different. Have any of you seen or used the Hunza Walkway WW or Twig TG Lite? If so what did you think.

irrig8r
03-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks odd to me. Haven't used. Most likely won't. But could work in the right landscape/ modern architecture.

Trying to thing of the name of another lighting company who won a design award for theirs that is a different shape but also sleek and modern...

Here it is, the Nalu (http://www.dreamscapelighting.com/nalu.html) from Dreamscape Lighting.

NightScenes
03-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Kichler has a pretty good one as well. I have one of these in my landscape and it really puts out a nice light effect. This fixture is also very heavy.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
The WW and the Twig are both pretty cool fixtures. My only issue with them is during servicing. They use a very very small hex head set screw to secure the shoud over the lamp enclosure. It is SS so a magnetic allen key will not work... be sure to place a towel or small tarp at the base of the fixture, or have spares for when you inadvertently drop the set screw.

I prefer the walkway light as it is more directional and produces less glare. That being said, they are a niche market fixture.

Desertdweller
03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Paul,

I saw that fixture as I was looking around today. Does it look decent or cheesy? It looks in certain situstions it would fit in great.

Desertdweller
03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
James,

I'd be looking at the Twig to drop into a cluster of plants. Do you think it would be a good fit for that? Having never seem them except in pictures I'm not sure what type of throw I'll be getting.

NightScenes
03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Paul,

I saw that fixture as I was looking around today. Does it look decent or cheesy? It looks in certain situstions it would fit in great.

I think it looks nice and it's one of my wife's favorites. You can tuck it into some other plants to make it almost disappear as well. It also casts a very wide photometrics.

irrig8r
03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Here are the Hunza fixtures.

http://images.lampsplus.com/images/scenes/83033scene1.fpx?cell=450,450&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg

http://images.lampsplus.com/images/scenes/82930scene1.fpx?cell=450,450&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg

And here's the Nightscaping Seegarliter. Different shape and height, different options, but a very similar concept. Not sure which came first.

http://www.nightscaping.com/images/fixture_larger/seegarliter.jpg

Desertdweller
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Gregg,

Have you used the Seegarliter?

Pro-Scapes
03-02-2008, 08:32 AM
personally i jus dont care for how the hunza looks... would have to be a very limited application.

I have seen the stick paul is mentioning and its a nice light but again very limited applicatons. Would work well in a wooded area or among plants.

irrig8r
03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Gregg,

Have you used the Seegarliter?

I haven't.

The lamp change is easier than I imagined from just seeing a picture.

I've talked to a few people who have used it horizonally, laid between stones in a rough rock wall so only something like 3 or 4 inches stick out... supposedly very subtle in the daytime.

I might be afraid to install it upright close to a path if there were rambunctious kids or dogs around...

Chris J
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Isn't it odd that some of the Kichler lighting products are welcomed by the population for their creativity and installation applications (although some may be rare), yet some of the same individuals sometimes criticize manufacturers for making items of this nature and go as far as "mocking" their existence?
You know who you are, so I won't call you out. I do find this humorous, however.

pete scalia
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Isn't it odd that some of the Kichler lighting products are welcomed by the population for their creativity and installation applications (although some may be rare), yet some of the same individuals sometimes criticize manufacturers for making items of this nature and go as far as "mocking" their existence?
You know who you are, so I won't call you out. I do find this humorous, however.

That twig looks like something I'd lift my leg on if I was a dog.
You don't need to call me out. I'm lifting my leg loud and proud as a Kichler twig "mocker"

irrig8r
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Does Kichler really call theirs a twig? Looks more like a vine covered dead stump...

But anyway, I'm one of those who does occasionally criticize those fixtures that Kichler comes out with for being too "cute"... and focusing more attention on the fixture than on the lighting effects...

The Hunza Twing and WW lights, and the Nightscaping Seegar are designed to disappear into the landscape more..., like when you locate them in the midst of some taller perennials, ferns, etc.. near a walkway, but probably not right on it like in the photos...

The ideal fixtures IMHO, (in most cases and for most jobs) are not going to be daytime attention grabbers...

klkanders
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I along with others I'm sure like the looks of a nice path light. A nice copper path/area light in a planting area is not an eyesore. I think it would blend in well with all the Kokopelli or other copper yard stick ins most people have. IMHO It beats the h*ll out of some of the other crap thats displayed. I hate those colored balls! Everytime I seen one I wanna hold my hands upright and kick it as far as I can! Sorry if anyone likes those.......wait no im not!
I hope spring arrives early.....think I have cabin fever.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
The heron with light coming out of its arse is still the funniest fixture I have ever seen. I regularly enjoy pulling it up on the Kitsh-ler site and letting my friends have a laugh. That being said, there are some more manu's coming out with kitsch too, so there must be a market for it somewhere. (Hinkley Lighting's "Monkey on a stem" is pretty awful too)

Makes me so glad I don't show my clients any product catalogs.

:)

irrig8r
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Saturday AM I was thumbing through a catalog with a client and asked him to pick out a pathlight...

He has kind of eclectic tastes... some kind of towards a Spanish/ Latin American theme.. other parts more modern... even kind of industrial.

I installed a mostly FX system for the previous owner about 14 years ago, then modified and added a little for this current owner about 7 or 8 years ago when he moved in.

Meanwhile the landscape changed a lot... grades changed, cables got ripped out... lawns planted where there were none before...concentrations of palms in some places, cactus in others..

So, basically the plan is to do a lot of uplighting and backlighting of those both in front and back yards, but then there's this area next to a main path with an orange tree (too dense for and impractical for uplighting) and some rose beds near a walk... so I figure, get him involved in picking out a pathlight....

So, I'm looking at Nightscaping and FX catalogs with him at pathlights, and he obviosuly has no idea... he kept thumbing through and picking out pictures of uplights that he thought we could use for pathlights... he just wasn't getting it...

So finally I just picked one and said "OK, we'll use this and see what you think..."

I don't think it helped that he was probably up late partying the night before...

So, from now on, if they want a spec sheet of a fixture I'll give it to them... even better, let them handle one.

Usually I just show them comparisons of 2 or 3 that I have in mind, or mine vs. a cheaper one to point out differences in quality... but I'll never give them the whole catalog to look through again, it really just confuses things.