PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Bad Boy cut quality

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
The reason I wanted to start this subject was I cant seem to find any videos of the mower being used on real turf grass. All the videos I have seen have been of terrible grass or overgrown crap and the cut looks horrible. I want to know how these mowers cut fine manicured northern turf grass. I wouldnt even consider one from what I have seen so far. It is almost like Bad Boy is avoiding showing people how the mowers really perform in the real world.

Seriously who cares if it can fly across a lawn or do wheelies? All mowers can do that. Bad boy seriously needs to get there marketing department in check if they want commercial cutters to even give there mowers a second look. I need proof that they can cut fine turf grass and leave a clean carpet smooth finish time after time. Then I may make the trip to a dealer and check them out.

nosparkplugs
03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
The Cat diesel model has 70ftlbs of torque, Heres a you tube video of the diesel just Ideling through this bushogging material . I have tried to research them, if you google Bad Boy mowers, you will find many dealers in Australia? Thats why I have been so critical of these mowers, the company is unorganized, but looks like they are makeing a powerful machine, I would have to go with a Scag turf tiger with the new Cat diesel instead, better service locally. I am not impressed buy these claims like Ferris of 13MPH cutting speeds, I'm soory but some of my large area mowing jobs are large Church's and the rain water is constantly finding & creating new soil errosion, you may be able to go top forward speed for short bursts, but it gets fatiguing after 4hrs of mowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7O0GuCLZE

packey
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Let me start off by saying I do not own a bad boy yet but will be demoing one here in a couple of weeks. As far as videos of cut quality I have found videos can be very untrue. If this is all you are bassing your opinon on you will be dissapointed when you actualy get a mower. I have used exmarks the last sevral years as well as skags so if you do not mind a weight I will give you my honest opinon in a few weeks. I can tell you by looking at the deck it looks very similar to the old ultra cut decks exmark used to run. I know it has close to the same blade tip speed so I am guessing it will have a decent cut. but again I will not know that for a couple of weeks

nosparkplugs
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I know that my Scag tiger cub 20hp air cooled Kohler twin, 48" velocity deck with gaterblades, I had to cut every week mulching here in Memphis during the growing season, thats with 4 spare Gator blade sets sharped with a Walls RBG 2181-P professional blade grinder. My residential contracts are biweekly, and paid in full before I start that month's cutting. I found out with my Scag that early morning wet bermuda, does not mulch well; consequently it required multiple pass to get that maniqured look, and the wet green grass clippings stained driveways & sidewalks. I love the Walkers now can do bagging, mulching, wide area's all with one tractor & 11decks &

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 02:54 PM
The Cat diesel model has 70ftlbs of torque, Heres a you tube video of the diesel just Ideling through this bushogging material . I have tried to research them, if you google Bad Boy mowers, you will find many dealers in Australia? Thats why I have been so critical of these mowers, the company is unorganized, but looks like they are makeing a powerful machine, I would have to go with a Scag turf tiger with the new Cat diesel instead, better service locally. I am not impressed buy these claims like Ferris of 13MPH cutting speeds, I'm soory but some of my large area mowing jobs are large Church's and the rain water is constantly finding & creating new soil errosion, you may be able to go top forward speed for short bursts, but it gets fatiguing after 4hrs of mowing.

Thats exactly the kind of video I am talking about. Why wont they just show somebody cutting nice turf grass? These arent bush hogs so why only show them cutting through that crap?

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Let me start off by saying I do not own a bad boy yet but will be demoing one here in a couple of weeks. As far as videos of cut quality I have found videos can be very untrue. If this is all you are bassing your opinon on you will be dissapointed when you actualy get a mower. I have used exmarks the last sevral years as well as skags so if you do not mind a weight I will give you my honest opinon in a few weeks. I can tell you by looking at the deck it looks very similar to the old ultra cut decks exmark used to run. I know it has close to the same blade tip speed so I am guessing it will have a decent cut. but again I will not know that for a couple of weeks

Your right I know its hard to tell from a low quality video online. If you could post up a real review that would be great! They do look like awsome machines but my closest dealer is nearly 3 hours away and that leaves me out of owning one even if it does cut great. :cry:

PEVO
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Geez...That video shows me that the "bad Boy" will not bog down...thats because it's not even cutting 1/3 of the crap it's going through! A Small tractor w/a 60" 3pt. shredder(brush hog) would level that in one pass with a better cut too. Bad Boy REALLY needs to PR this better instead of individuals embrassing the Bad Boy name with demos like that! As stated above we need turf cutting demos that clearly (in detail ) show the resulting cut.

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Geez...That video shows me that the "bad Boy" will not bog down...thats because it's not even cutting 1/3 of the crap it's going through! A Small tractor w/a 60" 3pt. shredder(brush hog) would level that in one pass with a better cut too. Bad Boy REALLY needs to PR this better instead of individuals embrassing the Bad Boy name with demos like that! As stated above we need turf cutting demos that clearly (in detail ) show the resulting cut.

Exactly what I was getting at! It isnt good at bush hogging (which frankly is pretty sad to me) but the question remains, is it good at turf grass?

Here watch this video. This isnt even nearly as bad and it still is cutting it like crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtQZBXxQXcw&feature=related

Happy Frog
03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
It's so frustrating to see all these videos... Obviously, this has little or no experience with ZTRs and the rear discharge deck is not on today's catalog.

mag360
03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Your right I know its hard to tell from a low quality video online. If you could post up a real review that would be great! They do look like awsome machines but my closest dealer is nearly 3 hours away and that leaves me out of owning one even if it does cut great. :cry:

No-one on lawnsite will know the true cut quality until Tacoma buys one and takes some pictures. :)
The new tanks are looking pretty good anyway.

packey
03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
something I have noticed about these videos is they are gunnin these mowers through this tall stuff. I can tell you nothing will cut real tall overgrowth if you do not alow the mower a chance to cut it. I have eased a husqavarna into waist high weeds and it takes about three passes to get every thing cut well. I never tried the exmark to much money on the line with that machine. Oh am going on vacation and doing my tests of these mowers. the only brand that would even bring a mower up here to let us use is hustler and that is becasue they are trying to get the local mower shop as a distributor. so they are coming up to a garden show sevral of us are putting on.

puppypaws
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
The reason I wanted to start this subject was I cant seem to find any videos of the mower being used on real turf grass. All the videos I have seen have been of terrible grass or overgrown crap and the cut looks horrible. I want to know how these mowers cut fine manicured northern turf grass. I wouldnt even consider one from what I have seen so far. It is almost like Bad Boy is avoiding showing people how the mowers really perform in the real world.

Seriously who cares if it can fly across a lawn or do wheelies? All mowers can do that. Bad boy seriously needs to get there marketing department in check if they want commercial cutters to even give there mowers a second look. I need proof that they can cut fine turf grass and leave a clean carpet smooth finish time after time. Then I may make the trip to a dealer and check them out.I

I ran the 32 hp Lightening for 30 hrs. on property I cut with my Hustler Super Z and the cut was not as good, but still very acceptable. The Lightening handled really big grass easier, hardly ever noticed any rpm drop in thick 30" tall grass, the Hustler would not handle it anywhere close to the ease of the 32 Vanguard and Bad Boy deck.

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I

I ran the 32 hp Lightening for 30 hrs. on property I cut with my Hustler Super Z and the cut was not as good, but still very acceptable. The Lightening handled really big grass easier, hardly ever noticed any rpm drop in thick 30" tall grass, the Hustler would not handle it anywhere close to the ease of the 32 Vanguard and Bad Boy deck.

See this is what I am talking about. Lets face it the hustlers are not known to cut northern turf grass very well (tons of posts on this site to verify this including Tacoma) and if the Bad Boy mowers dont even cut as well as the hustlers then whats the point really? I dont want any mower unless it cuts carpet smooth. Anything less is unacceptable in my book.

puppypaws
03-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I

This was mowed when they first delivered the mower and I noticed a ridge in the cut. I found out the mower had a bent blade, we put a new set on and it smoothed out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84136&stc=1&d=1183560761

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84139&stc=1&d=1183560899

puppypaws
03-01-2008, 10:45 PM
something I have noticed about these videos is they are gunnin these mowers through this tall stuff. I can tell you nothing will cut real tall overgrowth if you do not alow the mower a chance to cut it. I have eased a husqavarna into waist high weeds and it takes about three passes to get every thing cut well. I never tried the exmark to much money on the line with that machine. Oh am going on vacation and doing my tests of these mowers. the only brand that would even bring a mower up here to let us use is hustler and that is becasue they are trying to get the local mower shop as a distributor. so they are coming up to a garden show sevral of us are putting on.

I will say this, it will cut rough stuff very easily but not fast, nothing will. It did not fall but a couple hundred rpm's in this junk at maybe 3 mph.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84127&stc=1&d=1183519096

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 10:58 PM
This was mowed when they first delivered the mower and I noticed a ridge in the cut. I found out the mower had a bent blade, we put a new set on and it smoothed out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84136&stc=1&d=1183560761

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84139&stc=1&d=1183560899

When are you going to give me and my father permission to come down and hunt????????? :drinkup:

nosparkplugs
03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I found the Bad boys website, the Bad Boy Diesels are the way to go, the Scag Turf Tiger Cat Diesel is $20,000. Thats impressive puppypaws buy the way is that Johnson grasss, it looks like you cleaned that path before you took the picture, nice cut. Hows does it dew in bermuda with morning dew.

tb8100
03-01-2008, 11:26 PM
I found the Bad boys website, the Bad Boy Diesels are the way to go, the Scag Turf Tiger Cat Diesel is $20,000. Thats impressive puppypaws buy the way is that Johnson grasss, it looks like you cleaned that path before you took the picture, nice cut. Hows does it dew in bermuda with morning dew.

The Scag TT w/ the CAT is actually in the 14-15s, but still priced significantly higher than the Bad Boy with the 35hp.

nosparkplugs
03-01-2008, 11:51 PM
The Scag dealer is high here in memphis, the Scag TT with the Kubota diesel is 14,15 last year, So I am estimating the TT Cat will be 20,000 here. He has the Memphis Market only Scag Dealership. Over priced on the Walkers also, but there is a second Walker dealer where I got mine.

The Bad Boy deck looks like the Scag Velocity deck, and if so i was not happy with my Scag Tiger Cub 48" 20 hp mulching capability, Like I said before it would leave a windrow/ mulch clumps when the bermuda had morning dew, or got thick, plus if you had to cross a driveway or sidewalk it would unload clumps of grass blades on or off didn't matter . I have given up mulching, for the Walkers tractor & 11 decks options GHS/SD decks now, to many problems/slowdowns mulching for me.

retrodog
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey, I was really impressed with the cut. I was mowing with Grasshoppers, and my lightning blew the Hopper out of the water. I don't have any pics of the yards, but I will take some this year. I will also do a video of "real" mowing. The deck is not like the other mowers. It is a solid 5 guage quarter inch thick with a new air baffling system. The cut is similiar to the exmark ultracut now with the air baffles they started putting on last year. I will tell you this, I have not slowed down once. Wet grass, bumpy terrain, fancy house, I mow full speed on every yard 14mph on my lightning.

JShe8918
03-02-2008, 12:28 AM
This is what i am intrested in. I sold my mower and this one is at the top of my list with scag and toro. I demoed the Bad boy but couldn't tell anything about the cut cause the grass was already so short.

retrodog
03-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I could send pics now, but all I am mowing right now basically is clover...lol. The diesel is a beast, and leaves a gorgeous cut with the 60". I personally think its a major overkill with the 28 diesel on the 60, but I'm not saying I don't like it...lol. It has an 18 gallon gas tank, and I can run 2 full 11 hour days, and still have plenty left to mow a few more yards, so I guess overkill is a good thing. On most applications on the BB's the bigger motors actually burn less fuel than some of the other smaller ones. I guess less pulling and stress on the engines. I haven't mowed with the 72 yet, but from what I hear from everyone on here, the 72 doesn't leave a good cut on any mower unless your running on flat ground. My friend Seth has a big LCO, and he is getting the 72" 35hp Diesel next week I think. He is on the fence between the 72 and the 60. If he gets the 72, we are going straight to the cemeterie and cutting with it, so I will take some pics. I would cut with it now, but I don't think I would want to buy a brand new $12000 mower if it had already been cut with, and I am not going to make someone else.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM

What do you mean "it looks like you cleaned that path before you took the picture". That is a waterway between my fields in front of my house, this is the way it looks all the time, it is mowed along with my yard.

"grass kicker 71" participates on this site, he came down and mowed the area you see (you don't see around the curve) which is calculated right at an acre with my Super Z. I timed him and when he came back I said it took you 7 minutes to mow an area 75' wide and 600' long, he then said I'm almost embarrassed to say this but I did not engage the blades on the first pass.

He then made the statement "I have never seen anything mow grass that fast and not leave anything standing", fall in here grass kicker and verify my statement of what you said. He was mowing at 15 mph the entire time with a perfect cut, he was so impressed he has since purchased his own Super Z.

Frue
03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
I have not demoed the new baffle decks but the older ones did not cut as good as the exmarks. reminded me more of the old deer cuts. It rides ok but the one I demoed i cut a field with and it did not do well at all. Would like to try the new deck tho!

bigclawn
03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
100 people will give you 100 opinions---sometimes that's WAY to much information!

tb8100
03-02-2008, 12:04 PM
I have not demoed the new baffle decks but the older ones did not cut as good as the exmarks. reminded me more of the old deer cuts. It rides ok but the one I demoed i cut a field with and it did not do well at all. Would like to try the new deck tho!

yes, there is a major difference between a deck with only rear baffling and a deck that is completely baffled with an aerodynamic tunnel toward the discharge opening. Demo a Lightning with the Michigan seat and suspension.

tb8100
03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
100 people will give you 100 opinions---sometimes that's WAY to much information!

if all or most of the opinions are negative about a product, it's not too much information as the product in question probably isn't worth your time or money.

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 12:46 PM
PuppyPaws, not the lake pictures, you got so nice property too, you need the Diesel just for you own property maintenance?. I was meaning the image with the Bad Boy mower in it cutting the path in overgrowth, Is that johnson grass, My 60" 7-Iron could not do that clean of a cut on the first pass. I would use the Kubota MX6800 tractor on that.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
PuppyPaws, not the lake pictures, you got so nice property too, you need the Diesel just for you own property maintenance?. I was meaning the image with the Bad Boy mower in it cutting the path in overgrowth, Is that johnson grass, My 60" 7-Iron could not do that clean of a cut on the first pass. I would use the Kubota MX6800 tractor on that.

Oh, I'm sorry you were talking about the Signal grass, I measured it with a tape and it was 30" and above in places.

That is Signal grass not Johnson grass, the Johnson is a heavy stemmed taller grass where the Signal grass is limp and sappy, it wants to stay under the deck of most mowers because it stays so full of moisture. It is hard to cut and blow it away from a deck because it is so heavy with moisture retained in the leaves. I will say the 32 Vanguard on the Bad Boy handled it extremely well and I just put it into that type situation to see how it would react. I was impressed with the power and the deck moving all that junk out from underneath it.

Most mowers would not cut this period!

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84128&stc=1&d=1183519139

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84126&stc=1&d=1183519056

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
This is one of the hardest weeds, Buckhorn Plantain along with Dandelions there is to cut with any speed. You can look closely at the amount of Plantain in these pictures, this was cut as fast as the Lightening would run (14 mph) and it did a very good job.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84398&stc=1&d=1183828319

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84399&stc=1&d=1183828361

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84396&stc=1&d=1183828232

bigclawn
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
virtually any commercial Z will do the same job in this kind of grass if it is adequately powered and the blades are reasonably sharp.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
virtually any commercial Z will do the same job in this kind of grass if it is adequately powered and the blades are reasonably sharp.

That is not grass, do you have Buckhorn Plantain in Indiana, that is one of the hardest weeds there is to cut and all mowers will not cut it equally. If your blades are the least bit dull it will look like you are leaving as much as you are cutting. Dandelion is another one tough to cut because it is like trying to cut a limp spaghetti noodle. It gets blown around under the deck and can't get cut, when you go back for the next pass it will look like what you just cut had the blades switched off.

There are people in this forum that have cut this junk and will tell you how difficult it can be, and in certain growth stages it can be even harder to cut clean.

retrodog
03-02-2008, 11:06 PM

I dissagree with this statement and will bet anything and everything that I own that if we got 8 brand new different branded commercial grade mowers and cut the same grass, you will have atleast 5 different cuts. In Pauls Valley they had a contest at their airport to buy 2 diesel mowers. They invited all the dealers to come out and bring their best machines to cut the same grass. They were buying 2 of the machine that performed the best on the same hight grass. There was only one that blew them away. All cut differently, some would bog up and die, most left big clumps, the one they bought ran wide open at 15mph across the field, then back again on the same pass with a cut that looked like a manicured yard, and it didn't bog up at all.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I dissagree with this statement and will bet anything and everything that I own that if we got 8 brand new different branded commercial grade mowers and cut the same grass, you will have atleast 5 different cuts. In Pauls Valley they had a contest at their airport to buy 2 diesel mowers. They invited all the dealers to come out and bring their best machines to cut the same grass. They were buying 2 of the machine that performed the best on the same hight grass. There was only one that blew them away. All cut differently, some would bog up and die, most left big clumps, the one they bought ran wide open at 15mph across the field, then back again on the same pass with a cut that looked like a manicured yard, and it didn't bog up at all.

What mower was it retro, with which deck and engine? This is very interesting and the way you tell what works and what doesn't, that is a wonderful test.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-03-2008, 12:58 AM
It was one of these. Bad Boy AOS Diesel, 35 horsepower Cat, 72" deck.

nosparkplugs
03-03-2008, 01:19 AM
LDH, I see clumps of glass behind you in the picture?

YardBoss Lawncare
03-03-2008, 01:36 AM
That's correct. You're gonna think I lost it, but I was actually mowing a friend's trucking company headquarters (background probably told ya that) I had just bought the machine a few days earlier and was ansy to use it, so..... The yard hadn't been cut for about 3 weeks. Had to go over it multiple times to get the clumps chopped. It was wet too. Like I said, I was just messing around with the new machine.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-03-2008, 01:38 AM
I meant to say mowing a friend's house across from a trucking company's headquarter's and the house was way to small to use a machine this size on, but I was ansy and wanted to use it.

puppypaws
03-03-2008, 09:08 AM
It was one of these. Bad Boy AOS Diesel, 35 horsepower Cat, 72" deck.

I couldn't slow the 32 Vanguard on the Lightening down, that 35 Cat would be unstoppable.

They must have extremely strong components, think about it for a minute, that 35 Cat is not going to give up. I guess it would just burn the belt off if something stop the blades, I would say any part on the mower could break before that Cat would quit.

Tell us about the other mowers you were seeing compared and the differences.

retrodog
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
The grass was wet and around 27in" tall. The 30 something grasshopper was the first to start, and it immediatly went forward and got bogged up and died. He kept trying, but it kept on dying on him. The 30 something kubota was mowing, but he kept violently jerking the mower back and forth to mow (looked really crazy..lol). The Deere was doing the same thing only slower. Those were the biggest mowers out of the bunch out there. There was a Ferris, but it had the smaller 28hp. The Bad Boy, he justed cranked up and put down the hydros full blast. He tore out across the field like a maniac, yeah it left some stragglers, but on his pass back down it looked like a manicured yard. It was amazing how the machine performed compared to the others, I guess it was the air baffling or something. I know those aren't normal conditions for us, but sometimes the cities are put in these situations.

bigclawn
03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
spoken like a true Bad Boy dealer!

tb8100
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I think the baffling on the deck, the high blade tip speed, and high horsepower/torque are whats responsible. The deck is 5.5" deep as well. The baffling is critical as it not only allows the grass to stand back up before being cut, but it also tunnels the clippings out the side faster than some other decks to keep from bogging. It takes a hellacious deck to handle that kind of grass at 15mph, and a hellacious engine to keep up with it. The spindles are 1.5" too, which is the biggest in the industry. If you're cutting heavy stuff that fast, you really oughta have a bigger spindle or you'll wear them suckers out.

bigclawn
03-03-2008, 06:30 PM
If you keep mowing stuff like this, abusing your machine at full speed your clutch will be the first thing to go. This is not normal mowing--this is extreme and not a situation that you normally buy a mower like this for.

nosparkplugs
03-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Two passes, to get a manicured look & mash the hydro's wide open????. Here in Memphis the bermuda is wet & thick during the summer growing season , ground very bump on large lots, so in "realworld" I could only get maybe 3/4 forward on my Scag Tiger Cub with a 10mph mowing speed claim, before I hit a rut & the deck scalped. Not to mention the velcoity deck would clump up and drop those wet green mulch piles. I wanted a Scag TT with the new Cat diesel & 72" velocity II deck, for light bushogging after I knock it down with the Kubota MX6800 4x4 & 7' landpride bushhog. The dealer told me he would voild my warranty, I just replaced my Landpride gearbox 750.00 from the wear & tear of bushhogging, is the BB AOS diesel a finish mower or just something you mash the hydro's forward & scream back & forth wasteing time & tearing up the turf like a dog marking it territory. How does it do on 4 football size athlethic fields? I had to some times make two trips with the Scag 48" velocity deck mulching to scatter the clumps this is biweekly mowing with baldes changed weekly a RGB (Wells) professional blade sharpener used & 5 pairs of back-up Gator blade magnum's. I still am getting better results with the Walker MT20 42"GHS deck one pass & its manicured,

tb8100
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I couldn't slow the 32 Vanguard on the Lightening down, that 35 Cat would be unstoppable.

They must have extremely strong components, think about it for a minute, that 35 Cat is not going to give up. I guess it would just burn the belt off if something stop the blades, I would say any part on the mower could break before that Cat would quit.

Tell us about the other mowers you were seeing compared and the differences.

Did you hear Bad Boy is talking about putting that CAT on a 52" deck??

JShe8918
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
NO they aren't talking about it they ARE!!! Cause i called the guy when i was searching for one and asked if they could custom build one, but it would be in late june. He also told me that they had a production model that was going to be hitting the production line for next year....

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Did you hear Bad Boy is talking about putting that CAT on a 52" deck??

My gosh, what is the reasoning behind that unless they are putting a small diesel on the 52", just for the fact of someone wanting a diesel.

I'll swear I could not ask for more power than the 32 Vanguard showed me, it just didn't pay attention to anything no matter what or how big. I personally like air cool for the reason of less to go wrong and less maintenance.

tb8100
03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
My gosh, what is the reasoning behind that unless they are putting a small diesel on the 52", just for the fact of someone wanting a diesel.

I'll swear I could not ask for more power than the 32 Vanguard showed me, it just didn't pay attention to anything no matter what or how big. I personally like air cool for the reason of less to go wrong and less maintenance.

they'll probably put the 28hp on the 52" deck. Did you know Bad Boy paired the big block 31hp Kawasaki with the 52" deck on the Lightning for this year? Most brands dont put more than a 23 or 25hp small block engine on a machine with that size deck!

bigclawn
03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
for God's sake how much power do you need on a freakin 52"

retrodog
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Never too much...lol!

lifetree
03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Thats exactly the kind of video I am talking about. Why wont they just show somebody cutting nice turf grass ? These arent bush hogs so why only show them cutting through that crap ?

I have to agree with you on the video issue ... they should put out some footage of some true manicured lawns after they have performed the job with their equipment !!

tb8100
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
for God's sake how much power do you need on a freakin 52"

I don't think Bad Boy's putting too much power on their mowers. In fact, I bet the engines are lasting longer because they're not under as much load as smaller engines would be. :cool2:

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't think Bad Boy's putting too much power on their mowers. In fact, I bet the engines are lasting longer because they're not under as much load as smaller engines would be. :cool2:

I agree, "when in doubt, build it stout"!

NORTHMAN
03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Like others I'm very curious about Bad Boy mowers,to bad theres not a dealer any closer than 60 miles to me.How durable are they say compared to a SCAG,can any of the BB guys compare the two?How do they deal with wet grass,northern vs southern grass?How are they on hills?

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Like others I'm very curious about Bad Boy mowers,to bad theres not a dealer any closer than 60 miles to me.How durable are they say compared to a SCAG,can any of the BB guys compare the two?How do they deal with wet grass,northern vs southern grass?How are they on hills?

The Bad Boy is well built especially for probably $2500.00 difference in price between the Scag. The Scag has been around for a long time and is well proven for longevity and ability to hold resale value better than anything on the market. Someone with a large number of hours on a Bad Boy will need to tell you how they hold up in comparison. I know people with Scags that say they will have better resale value at 2500 hrs. than any mower made.

My understanding is the Scag will not give the perfect manicured cut of an Exmark or Walker but does a better job of overall cutting. I can say the same about Bad Boy, it will cut through anything and give a very good cut just not perfect for that small plush manicured lawn that needs a Walker.

The bottom line is if money were no object I would go with the proven Scag at this time but Bad Boy is coming on very strong. I have considered buying a Bad Boy to go along with my Super Z just for the bigger rougher cutting. I have run the Lightening for about 30 hrs. with the 32 hp Vanguard and it is virtually unstoppable, at least I found nothing up to 30"+ grass that it would pay any attention to.

They are good on hills, better than they look, I have pictures with me on a 26 degree slope. It is not quiet as good as my lower profile Super Z and will not be as good as the lower Scag.

If it cuts through this it is a "BAD BOY"....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84128&stc=1&d=1183519139

NORTHMAN
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Than-you puppypaws,do you know if the Lightning is comparable to SCAG's Wildcat?

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Than-you puppypaws,do you know if the Lightning is comparable to SCAG's Wildcat?

"tb8100" can probably answer this better than me.... The Bad Boy will cut grass faster and ride much better, the Wildcat is a 10 mph mower where the Lightening is 14 mph and yes it will cut grass that fast I have personally done so.

This is the "Wildcat":

52" or 61" Velocity Plus Cutter Decks
Engine options ranging from 25hp to 30hp
Air and liquid cooled engines
Up to 10 MPH ground speed for more productivity
Deluxe Soft Ride Seat

This is the Lightening series, actually more bang for your buck according to specs.

Lightning Z SeriesSpecifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lightning Z Series » Specifications

SPECIFICATIONS
32 HP VANGUARD
26 HP KAWASAKI
31 HP KAWASAKI

Cutting Width 6000/60"; 7200/72" 5200/60";6000/60" 6000/60";7200/72"
Cutting Height 1.5"–5" with Deck Height Control System 1.5"–5" with Deck Height Control System 1.5"-5" with Deck Hiehgt Control System
Blades 6000/1/4" x 2 1/2" x 20 1/2", High Lift, Heat Treated
7200/1/4" x 2 1/2" x 24", High Lift, Heat Treated 5200/1/4" x 2" x 18", High Lift, Heat Treated
6000/1/4" x 2 1/2" x 20 1/2", High Lift, Heat Treated 6000/1/4˝ x 2 1/2˝ x 20 1/2˝, High Lift, Heat Treated
7200/1/4˝ x 2 1/2˝ x 24˝, High Lift, Heat Treated
Lift and Height Adjustment Instant Lift Electronic Actuator Instant Lift Electronic Actuator Instant Lift Electronic Actuator
Blade Belt Single V-Belt Spring Tension Single V-Belt Spring Tension Single V-Belt Spring Tension
Anti-Scalp Rollers 6 Total (2 Front, 2 Rear, 1 On Each Corner) 6 Total (2 Front, 2 Rear, 1 On Each Corner) 6 Total (2 Front, 2 Rear, 1 On Each Corner)
Deck Flotation Floats on 2 Chains & 2 Front Leveling Arms Floats on 2 Chains & 2 Front Leveling Arms Floats on 2 Chains & 2 Front Leveling Arms
Deck Thickness 1/4" Thick Solid Steel 1/4" Thick Solid Steel 1/4" Thick Solid Steel
ENGINE
Gross Horsepower 32HP Air-Cooled Vanguard 26HP Liquid-Cooled Kawasaki
31HP Forced Air-Cooled Kawasaki
Cylinders V-Twin V-Twin
V-Twin
Displacement 895 cc 675 cc 852cc
Maximum Torque 50 ft. lbs.@ 2400 RPM 42.72 ft. lbs. @ 2400 RPM 52.0 ft. lbs. @ 2400RPM
Fuel Requirement Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane or higher) Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane or higher) Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane or higher)
Fuel Capacity 14.5 Gallons 14.5 Gallons 14.5 Gallons
Fuel Filter Replaceable Automotive Type Replaceable Automotive Type Replaceable Automotive Type
Cooling System Air-Cooled Liquid-Cooled Forced Air-Cooled
Ignition Electronic Electronic Electronic
Starter 12 Volt 12 Volt 12 Volt
Charging System 20 amp 20 amp 15 amp
DRIVE SYSTEM

Transmission
Dual Hydrostatic Dual Hydrostatic Dual Hydrostatic
Pump Drive
12 L Hydro-Gear V-Belt from Engine Crankshaft 12 L Hydro-Gear V-Belt from Engine Crankshaft 12 L Hydro-Gear V-Belt from Engine Crankshaft
Wheel Drive
15 cu. in. High Torque Hydrogear Motors 15 cu. in. High Torque Hydrogear Motors 15 cu. in. High Torque Hydrogear Motors
Hydrostatic System Oil
20W50 Motor Oil 20W50 Motor Oil 20W50 Motor Oil
Hydraulic Filter
25 Micron, Replaceable Spin-On Type, 1 Per Pump 25 Micron, Replaceable Spin-On Type, 1 Per Pump 25 Micron, Replaceable Spin-On Type, 1 Per Pump
Pumps (2) Hydrogear 12 L, 1 Per Rear Wheel Drive Motor Hydrogear 12L, 1 Per Rear Wheel Drive Motor Hydrogear 12L, 1 Per Rear Wheel Drive Motor
Hydraulic Coolers (2)
6" Cooling Fan per Unit 6" Cooling Fan per Unit 6" Cooling Fan per Unit
WEIGHT 6000/1110 lbs; 7200/1170 lbs. 6000/1085 lbs; 7200/1110 lbs 6000/1110 lbs;7200/1170 lbs.
Overall Height
46" 46" 46"
Overall Width
6000/61 1/2"; 7200/72 1/2" 5200/57"; 6000/61 1/2" 6000/61 1/2";7200/72 1/2"
Overall Length
75" 75" 75"
Tire to Tire Width
51.5" 51.5" 51.5"
Tires—Front
13 x 6.5–6 Smooth Tread 13 x 6.5–6 Smooth Tread 13 x 6.5–6 Smooth Tread
Tires—Rear
24 x 12–12 Turf Tread 5200/23 x 10.5–12 Turf Tread;
6000/24 x 12–12 Turf Tread 24 x 12-10 Turf Tread
Steering Dual Lever Steering, Independent Control Dual Lever Steering, Independent Control Dual Lever Steering, Independent Control
Turning Radius
Zero Degree, Turns Within Unit Length Zero Degree, Turns Within Unit Length Zero Degree, Turns Within Unit Length
Ground Speed (forward)
0–14 mph 0–14 mph 0–14 mph
Parking Brake
Disc Brake Disc Brake Disc Brake

10cc Heavy-duty hydraulic drive pumps
Auxiliary hydraulic oil cooler
Dual, 4 gallon fuel tanks (8 gallon total capacity)
Full length, welded steel main frame
Heavy-duty blade drive spindles

tb8100
03-05-2008, 12:49 AM

The Lightning is speced to compete with the Wildcat, yes. I'll list features for each:

Lightning:
-4 wheel suspension std.
-Michigan 5300 susp. seat std.
-14mph top speed
-26hp LC Kawasaki, 31hp big block Kawi, and 32hp BIG BLOCK Vanguard engines
-52, 60, and 72" cutting options
-electric deck lift
-5 gauge deck
-1.5" cast iron maintenance free spindles with ball bearings
-12L pumps with 6" cooling fans running full time (very smooth handling coupled with the suspension....very comfortable ride)
-75" overall length
-$7500-$8500 price points

Wildcat

-very comfortable non suspension seat (very plush, definitely the next best thing to the Michigan seat)
-optional Michigan susp. seat
-10mph top speed
-25hp AC Kawi, 26hp LC Kawi (same spec as Bad Boy), 27hp Kohler Command, 30hp Kohler Command
-Velocity Plus deck with 7 gauge skirts but tri-plate top, nearly 1/2" thick
-1 1/8 greasable spindles with Timken tapered roller bearings
-10A pumps (smooth, but not quite like 12Ls...) w/ aux hydraulic cooler
-80-83" overall length (depending on width of cut)
-very low center of gravity, a bit lower than Bad Boy
-$8000-$9250 price points (going off the top of my head, should be pretty close)

That's the general gist. There are obviously much more components on these things, but those are the main things. :usflag:

retrodog
03-05-2008, 01:10 AM
get the BB for the better ride, more production, price, and wow factor. Yeah, Scag would have a little better resale, but who is selling? you won't want to get rid of this thing! I have a guy coming in this week with a wildcat 26 lc with 400hrs to trade on a Lightning. He said that mine rode alot better, and felt alot better considering he is actually riding on his mower around 8 hrs a day. He had demoed and checked out the Ferris, but almost fell over when he was given a price. I hope I can sell his mower pretty fast, I hate trade ins!

puppypaws
03-05-2008, 01:15 AM
get the BB for the better ride, more production, price, and wow factor. Yeah, Scag would have a little better resale, but who is selling? you won't want to get rid of this thing! I have a guy coming in this week with a wildcat 26 lc with 400hrs to trade on a Lightning. He said that mine rode alot better, and felt alot better considering he is actually riding on his mower around 8 hrs a day. He had demoed and checked out the Ferris, but almost fell over when he was given a price. I hope I can sell his mower pretty fast, I hate trade ins!

I am glad to see you and "tb 8100" on here, it keeps the facts a little more accurate.

What mower lines do you and tb handle?

tb8100
03-05-2008, 01:19 AM
I am glad to see you and "tb 8100" on here, it keeps the facts a little more accurate.

What mower lines do you and tb handle?

We're a Scag, Bad Boy, Snapper, and Echo dealer. I'm just glad to contribute what I can to these forums. They've provided a host of good information to me about how I can better serve my commercial customers.

BTW, my name is Tim for future reference! :waving:

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
i think lawnsite needs to give you guys your own sub forum.....

you people should all get a check from bad boy..... i would n't even advertise..... every week there is a new 7 page discusssion..

I can't wait to see one of these in person.....Its like a unicorn... the mythical Bad Boy......

I'm just joking with yall.... but you do need your own forum....

Nate

tb8100
03-05-2008, 01:58 AM
i think lawnsite needs to give you guys your own sub forum.....

you people should all get a check from bad boy..... i would n't even advertise..... every week there is a new 7 page discusssion..

I can't wait to see one of these in person.....Its like a unicorn... the mythical Bad Boy......

I'm just joking with yall.... but you do need your own forum....

Nate

Hey, we only contribute a little to these threads. What can I say? These mowers create a buzz. Very rarely is there a thread about them that isn't 5-10 pages! :cool2:

A forum on here would be nice. Ima call up Bad Boy and see if we can't get one. :drinkup:

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 03:14 AM
i'm at about 100+ miles in any direction for a dealer....

I would love to demo one. heck even see one.. and be able to get it serviced if i bought one....

I'm a little reluctant to burn up a 50 dollar bill plus 3+ hours of time to drop something off and pick it up for service...

When you call bad boy for that forum... tell them you need a dealership out in this neck of the woods...My toro is even a bit of an oddball... I'm in the land of the orange machines.. 5 scag dealerships within 25 miles...

Not knocking them...just stating facts.... When are they going to make a wb? lol

NORTHMAN
03-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the comparison.The non-greasable spindles concern me,also I'm not concerned with top speed,I don't mow the ideals properties,my main concern is the mower staying together,reliability and giving a good cut.What about hills?

Happy Frog
03-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the comparison.The non-greasable spindles concern me,also I'm not concerned with top speed,I don't mow the ideals properties,my main concern is the mower staying together,reliability and giving a good cut.What about hills?

Don't know about the others versions but my Lightning sticks to the ground pretty good and I had it on steep and wet slopes (lake banks). I also run the recommended pressure in the tires (12psi in front and 10 psi in back) and the ride is smooth enough for me.
The advantage of non greasable spindles is that you will no get contamination of the spindles grease.
It is not different from your car or truck wheel bearings: are they greasable?
Every two or three years, take them apart, clean/inspect/replace bearings if needed (they are cheap) and repack them with fresh grease. This way, they will last "forever".

djagusch
03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
The top speed is impressive on these units but I don't think anyone is cutting at that speed all day. Usually I need to slow down a little because the lawns are bumpy and doing it at top speed would wreck my back bouncing around. I'm sure most mowers can cut at top speed like stated but I don't think most lawns would be able to be ran that fast.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I mow everything from the city museum all the way up to 29 acre roadway that's 2 miles long. In my opinion, Bad Boy makes a good machine for high acreage applications. They're easy to clean. You can take one finger and raise up the floorboard, which is handy when you're at the car wash or in the field blowing the deck off with a backpack. The suspension and M-seat makes it great because as we all know, most high acreage stuff isn't exactly smooth. It rides very nice over the bumps and burrs of the highway that I mow. Now, my opinion of it on the manicured accounts isn't bad either. However, it's not going to make it look like a Walker or Exmark cut it. I've mowed the museum with my lightning several times and have never had any complaints. I've picked up alot of accounts as a matter of fact, due to people driving by and admiring my work up there at the museum, library, nutrition center, senior citizen center, Sonic, etc... Sorry about the rambling. Not trying to write a book here, but my bottom line is, if you're doing large areas that aren't so smooth, Bad Boy would definitely be the machine for you. And like I said, it'll make the small stuff look pretty too, but you probably wouldn't want to use it on the islands at a bank or at a doctor's office, etc...

YardBoss Lawncare
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Just to add one more thing, about the islands at a bank and doctor's office comment, I wasn't knocking Bad Boy. I don't think you would want to hop the curb and do an island with a Scag Wildcat or a Hustler Super Z either. That would be like using an 18 wheeler tractor to pull a 5x8 landscape trailer around.

retrodog
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
The top speed is impressive on these units but I don't think anyone is cutting at that speed all day. Usually I need to slow down a little because the lawns are bumpy and doing it at top speed would wreck my back bouncing around. I'm sure most mowers can cut at top speed like stated but I don't think most lawns would be able to be ran that fast.

i honestly don't slow down for anything, i am full throttle all day long...lol

grassyguy
03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I just looked at these mowers for the first time in Tulsa. I have always used scag. THe new scag with the 61 and 27hp kaw is 13500. The BB with a 26 hp lc kaw is 7999. Usually the cheaper priced mowers dont even come close to comparing to the scag, but this one compares and even surpasses the scag in some areas. I will probably demo one soon because I definitely want to see the qualit of cut for myself on some of my properties.

retrodog
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I just looked at these mowers for the first time in Tulsa. I have always used scag. THe new scag with the 61 and 27hp kaw is 13500. The BB with a 26 hp lc kaw is 7999. Usually the cheaper priced mowers dont even come close to comparing to the scag, but this one compares and even surpasses the scag in some areas. I will probably demo one soon because I definitely want to see the qualit of cut for myself on some of my properties.

Hey, you might check out BB's AOS. It has the same 27hp Kawasaki, and it is $8799. It is a little more mower than the lightning you looked at. 16cc pumps etc. The dealer prolly didn't have any in stock, cause people mainly step up to the 28hp Cat diesel for $11295, but the gas AOS are gravely underrated. They are on a massive platform, and offer the 27hp kawa, and the 35hp Big block Vanguard for $8999

dave k
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
They need more dealers, Non, Nada in Atlanta, Bad Boy, do you hear me?

excel25
03-07-2008, 04:38 PM
We are in Spartanburg SC not to far away!!

grassyguy
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I think I like the pro 26 the best so far. It is the combination of a lighter weight machine with the liquid cooled kaw. The liquid cool kaw on my scag has been a great engine. I think the weight of the diesel may be a bit much for me, especially if we have another wet spring.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I can't believe there's that much price difference in the 2. They're both 60 and 61 inch decks with the horsepower being pretty much the same too, but yet there's almost 6 thousand bucks difference. Wow! I know Scag might be a little more refined than the Bad Boy, but not that much. That is terrible.

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
With Scag your paying for the name and the sad thing is, I dont even like scags at all. Good quality but the ones I have used cut like crap.

JShe8918
03-07-2008, 05:49 PM
bought my truf tiger 27 Kawasaki liquid cooled for 10300 before tax. I loved both mowers. Demoed both the Bad boy and the scag. The only reason i went scag is because it is 30 minutes closer. If the bad boy was the same distance i would have probably went with it. Well gotta go to hopefully my last prom forever. I have been to 7 in 3 years. Kinda gets old.

grassyguy
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow, That is a great price for the scag. Last years model was over 11000 here last year. This year they raised it over two thousand dollars. I almost had a heart attack. I may need to visit alabama lol. I wish we could get another dealer here. My dealer only carries toro wright dixon. They had scag lined up but the other local dealer told scag they would quit selling scag if they allowed another dealer that close to carry scag. Obviously they have quite a bit of pull. Therefore the outrageous prices.

Happy Frog
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't care if the closest Bad Boy dealer was 200 miles aways. I'd just order what I need from the factory.
Apples to apples, nothing comes close to the Bad Boy...

grassyguy
03-07-2008, 11:26 PM
That is a problem for me. My dealer has to be close. I cant wait for parts. My guy will get me in and out next day and sometimes on the spot. I cant drive for an hour or more to have my mower worked on. The only thing scag does not come close on is the price. Scag and BBs are built very well and are comparable on power. Same pumps and wheel motors etc. But I have to give it to bad boy on their prices. Amazing

barefeetny
03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't care if the closest Bad Boy dealer was 200 miles aways. I'd just order what I need from the factory.
Apples to apples, nothing comes close to the Bad Boy...

I run old stuff that i fix myself..... but I'm not tearing apart a hydro motor......its not like a belt slip.... and frankly for that kind of money... i want to take it to a dealer .... if heaven forbid something craps the bed....

100 miles away is too far...... for a brand new machine i want a dealer thas close...

Happy Frog
03-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Bad Boy are easy to work on and parts are available overnight from the factory.
What can really go wrong that you can't fix yourself? And for these things, you can always have the mower worked on by a local mechanic.
Not the perfect setting for now but I believe that It will get much better over the next two years (more dealers will sell the Bad Boy line).

tb8100
03-08-2008, 12:37 AM
you know, alot of people have complained about the lack of dealers in the Atlanta area. Dont you guys need grass to cut before Bad Boy should set up dealers? I was under the impression that grass hasn't been growing there. I agree, Bad Boy has alot of room to grow as far the dealer network is concerned.

retrodog
03-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Heck I drove nearly 2 hours to pick my first BB up. I know quite a few LCO's around here that order directly from the factory on other mowers too (although Im trying to get their business). One big one here orders Walkers from the factory, and when they get here he takes the motors off immediatly and installs his preferences...kinda weird and costly, but I guess it works for him. I am working on getting some custom mowers ordered through BB so he wont have to do that anymore.

bigclawn
03-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I doubt seriously anyone is buying straight from the Walker factory!!!That is not how Walker does business.

nuconz
07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Seriously who cares if it can fly across a lawn or do wheelies? All mowers can do that. Bad boy seriously needs to get there marketing department in check if they want commercial cutters to even give there mowers a second look. I need proof that they can cut fine turf grass and leave a clean carpet smooth finish time after time. Then I may make the trip to a dealer and check them out.

i demoed 3 mowers last year before buying the super z. i drove a couple others. i live in florida.

the ferris with the big briggs handled awful - it couldn't get out of its own way. the grasshopper 721d cut very well but very slow compared to the hustlers. probably cut better than any i've ever used. the super z cut very fast and very well. the massey diesel cut just as you described the bad boy - it laid the grass down.

if i had to do it again i would have waited to test the 722d with the new wheel motors.

but the hustler cuts bahia very well at 2.5" with me sharpening the blades on a grinder. i do need to balance them. and i'm changing from the fusion blades back to the gator blades.

problem is - i don't like bahia cut below 3". it looks puny and unhealthy to me. maybe the gator blades will do the trick.

:)