PDA

View Full Version : Residential Z Turn

TheTurfTender
03-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Since it's my first year. What is the problem with using a Residential Z turn for the first year. I am thinking buying a 50" cub cadet for around 2k and using it this year.
Let me know what to expect. The mower has never been used.

Turf Commando
03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Overall durability what be there, deck is thin steel, have you ever operated commercial mowers...?
If so you wouldn't be asking this question!

TheTurfTender
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
No, I have not operated a commerical mower. What I am asking is if this will get me through a year? If I max out around 40 accounts with an acre apeice for 28 weeks and clean ups will I run into problems?

QualityLawnCare4u
03-01-2008, 02:42 PM
This mower will not take 28 weeks of 40 accounts, and I have been there and done that. As I have said before, you would be much better off buying a used well maintained commercial ztr than anything residentual. I wished I had taken the money I wasted on this junk my first few years in biz and just made a monthy payment on a new or paid cash for a used commercial unit. I AM speaking from experience here and I did not have anywhere near 40 accounts. BTW, I tried one residentual unit like you are looking at cutting 5 yards a day for 30 days and it was falling apart. Was lucky enough to get a full refund for it. Don't waste your money on it, I promise you will be on here in the near future saying the same thing I am saying to someone else asking what you are asking.

Turf Commando
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
What I am asking is if this will get me through a year? If I max out around 40 accounts with an acre apeice for 28 weeks and clean ups will I run into problems?
First, I'm somewhat new to this site, nowhere as educated as many guys of the GREEN are.
You can use a residential zero turn, but sooner or later parts will go bad before summer hits like pulleys, idlers pulleys, belts, tires, starter....etc
If you don't mind paying for repair parts/labor be my guest....

TheTurfTender
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I looked back and that seems to be a pretty consistent message. OK FINE. I think I will still scour craigslist every day to find a decent ztr or walk behind. I have about $2k to spend on the deal so I hope in the next month I can find something.

SomervilleLawncare
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Turftender,

I agree with the rest of the guys, don't waste the money on a residential mower. My dad bought a residential toro zero turn (against my advise) to just do his 3 acre lawn and in the first year he was having major problems. Plain and simple they are just made much cheaper.

My advise to you:

Buy a 48" walk behind (exmark, toro, scag are what I recommend)
-keep checking craigslist and lawnsite classifieds, your should be able to find a decent one for $1200-$1500

Take your extra money and buy a nice commercial grade 21" mower to do smaller lawns.

This way you have a commercial quality walk behind that you would be able to do lawns up to 2 acres or so without a problem and you have a nice 21" to get into gated smaller yards with. This is also equipment that you would want to buy later on anyways. Use this equipment for now and save up for a better quality ztr.

bohiaa
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
there's this kid on my area " he has some kind of beef with me"

he purchased a toro "homeowner" mower ZTR at home depot.

he got it last year about mid summer. I seen him with a 21" yesterday mowing a rather LARGE area.....leading me to belive his ZTR is dead...

DONT DO IT

kps2389
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm going to agree with just about everyone else so far. Find a good used 48" belt drive for around $1500 bucks. It will last a lot longer than than homeowner ZTR.

Roger
03-01-2008, 05:57 PM
If you have 40 accounts, at an acre each, and expect to mow 28 times per season, you can easily justify a good w/b mower. Let's do a bit of math here,

For the sake of argument, presume each one acre property produces a gross sale of $45/cut. So, the gross sales:

40X28X45 = $50,400

Let's presume the cost of a good 48" w/b commercial mower: $4,500

The raw cost of equipment per cut: $4.01

Let's take another case, buying a consumer model, e.g. Cub rider tractor: $2,500

The raw cost of equipment per cut: $2.23

Obviously, this is a very simple way of looking at the matter. Undoubtedly, the commercial machine would have far more than one season. The tractor, ... maybe not more than one years, maybe even significant expenses to get through the first year. The difference of less than $2 make the choice pretty clear -- at least to me. Remember, this is a machine you intend to use to gross over $50K in sales for the season. Skimping a bit on initial expenses doesn't make sense to me.

TheTurfTender
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
That's good advice, but I only have 2k to spend on a mower.

Roger
03-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Something does not fit together. Do I understand you have $2K to spend on a business that you expect to gross over $50K in the first year?

I think undercapitalization is one of the biggest reasons for small business failures.

http://www.exmark.com/metrospecs.htm

M15KA483 is probably about $3k, maybe less. Borrowing $1K for a few weeks to get you over the hump may be a right thing to do.

What about other parts of your equipment list, such as trimmer, blower?

indyrs2
03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
The blade tip speed is not close to any commercial mower and it will really show when you go through wet long grass. Get a used mower and it will pay off by the better looking cut.

TheTurfTender
03-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I am not going to walk the mower from job to job with no insurance, no marketing. I am not going to use a broom to get the grass off the sidewalk or go around edges with my hands. So no, 2k is about 20% of what has went into the business so far. ;)

kpetzold
03-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I looked back and that seems to be a pretty consistent message. OK FINE. I think I will still scour craigslist every day to find a decent ztr or walk behind. I have about $2k to spend on the deal so I hope in the next month I can find something.

i like you , am just getting started, i looked on craigs list , i found a 2004 ferris hydro cut 36 with about 200 hrs on it , i was able to get it from the guy for 900 , have used it several times so for and found that i ngot a really good deal on a good piece of equip , if you get a walk behind get a hydro its the only way to go with walk behind , will cut down on ur fatigue . good luck to ya. karl

greenleaf1
03-02-2008, 08:01 PM
We've only been in business a few yrs, but last yr we bought a brand new 50" & 42" cub cadet's ZTR's. We mowed just a little over 500 hundreds yards,(some of the very rough land), and they are still running strong.

TheTurfTender
03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
kpetzold,

I am looking at a 36' wb too. Are they easy to put attachments on? I would like to get a dethatcher, spreader, and areater, but I think it would be hard to find one with the wb. What do you think?

oak1787
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I got the cub cadet as a back up zero turn ..the 50" 30 lawns a month and used it for a year and a half only thing i have replaced is the 2 front tires. still cuts nice... i bought a i use john deere comm. and the deck went to sh__...

We've only been in business a few yrs, but last yr we bought a brand new 50" & 42" cub cadet's ZTR's. We mowed just a little over 500 hundreds yards,(some of the very rough land), and they are still running strong.

kpetzold
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
kpetzold,

I am looking at a 36' wb too. Are they easy to put attachments on? I would like to get a dethatcher, spreader, and areater, but I think it would be hard to find one with the wb. What do you think?

that one i dont know, i do see adds in turf magazine for bolt on dethachers for walk behinds . either way to be in the lawn busi u need a mower , so get a good commercial wb, a hydro if possible, i plan on expanding my busi , to start with im going to stick to mow, trimm, edge, blow, until i can afford other equip. start small and work your way up . karl

Big C
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Why buy used when you can buy new?????? check out quick36.com

stevenf
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree! Although I havent used a Quick mower yet and I have barley gotten by with my 44" homeowner ZTR. My mower this season will be a Quick36. Ill get a rider next(If my homeowner can gut it out this year)