PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as trailer overkill?

GreenerSideLC
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I am looking at 2 trailers, both are 7 x 16 and heavy duty. one is a Holmes trailer and looks to be a little stronger built- it has all boxed/tube steel sides/rails and the tongue has some additional cross bracing. it is heavier and cost about $700 more. They both have led lights and the ramps are the same. is it worth the extra money for the added strength and weight? If it helps Im hauling 2 ZTRs and the trailers have 7000 gvwr.

TORO07
03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I spent about 10 hrs one day looking for a 7 x 16 open trailer.Traveled about 200 miles round trip.I found a lot of trailers but I bought one that I could stand at one corner and try to push it down.It moved very little compared to the ones that would move over one foot when I pushed on them.Overall I found alot of trailers that were cheap built and very few that was built like I was looking for.With everything I buy I try to get the best built equipment even if it cost more.My opinion is to by the better built trailer.The 700.00 over the amount of years you plan to use it MINUS the down time you will be dealing with welding and patching the cheaper trailers is well worth the extra money.

Lawnworks
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Cheaply built trailers will cost you money in the end. I bought a tube frame 6x10 and after one year I had to have it rewelded and strengthened. I am buying a angle iron next... but I am going to buy slightly used and end up paying about the same or less.

Marek
03-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I wouldnt buy a used trailer unless it was a real deal.By the time you put tires on it , brakes and fix everything else thats wrong you are right at the price of a new one,not to mention the state inspection.What are you you towing it with, you dont want something that is way over kill.

Lawnworks
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Slightly used. I found a 6x12 that was less than 5 months old that was used 4-5 times for $650... it looks to be built better than the one I paid $1000 for.

corey4671
03-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Cheaply built trailers will cost you money in the end. I bought a tube frame 6x10 and after one year I had to have it rewelded and strengthened. I am buying a angle iron next... but I am going to buy slightly used and end up paying about the same or less.

what?!?:dizzy: you mean to tell me that a tube trailer is stronger than an angle iron?

Eclipse
03-01-2008, 10:47 PM
IMO it depends on how long you plan to keep it.

If you plan on keeping it for a while spend the extra $$$

Lawnworks
03-02-2008, 07:56 AM
what?!?:dizzy: you mean to tell me that a tube trailer is stronger than an angle iron?

I am getting angle iron next time. My tube frame is pretty thin metal.

njones
03-02-2008, 09:24 AM
it depends what you want to do with it were you live in the dakotas theres a lot of room small town about 30000 i do not hand my grass my trailer for most of you would be over kill 12 dump trailer with 15 deck on front ever thing is remote side gate and the dump i use it for mowing halls 2 walkers 1 60 gravley and 2 push mowers on the deck or i can load the skidsteer on the back run it through the dump box on to the deck and pick up a load of dirt or rock

corey4671
03-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I am getting angle iron next time. My tube frame is pretty thin metal.

I always thought the tube stock would be a more rigid trailer but I guess with the price of steel like it is these manufacturers are cutting corners where they can. I know I took my trailer in to the dealer for some repairs and he told me that I need to hang on to this trailer as long as I can because they just don't make them with that heavy of material anymore. He had thought that one gate assist would work until he realized the material was a lot heavier than he thought.

Jason Rose
03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Cheaply built trailers will cost you money in the end.

Exactly...

My 20' lawn trailer is pretty 'cheaply' built, and it shows. It flexes BAD and the frame has been broken in 2 places. The fixes were needed when I bought it off of a guy that used it for about 3 years. I only gave $600 for it in that state, then my step-dad and I put the materials and time into it to get it back rigid again, as well as reinforce it RIGHT so it wouldn't just break again. It wasn't long after that I had to put new axles under it, and totally re-wire it.

The only positive things I can say about my trailer is that it's lightweight! But it fits my needs great, and if it breaks I can always fix it again...

GreenerSideLC
03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
wow good stuff fellas. I never would have thought that a tube steel trailer would be weaker that a angle iron one, but your argument makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Lawnworks
03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I always thought the tube stock would be a more rigid trailer but I guess with the price of steel like it is these manufacturers are cutting corners where they can. I know I took my trailer in to the dealer for some repairs and he told me that I need to hang on to this trailer as long as I can because they just don't make them with that heavy of material anymore. He had thought that one gate assist would work until he realized the material was a lot heavier than he thought.

When I bought this trailer a year ago, I wanted the angle iron but they were out of it so I bought the tube frame which was more expensive and supposed to be better.... yeah right. I am sure some tube frames are ok, but make sure you see just how thick the steel actually is.

ken gustafson
03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
tube steel just like angle iron comes in various thicknesses. Just because it is tube steel means very little unless it is light weight.....just so everyone knows.
Ken