PDA

View Full Version : How do you get fuel in your mowers?

Mummert's Mowing
03-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I was wandering how you guys with enclosed trailers get fuel to your mowers. Right now I got an open trailer and i just pull up beside the pump and fill them up. But with an enclosed trailer I wouldn't think the hose would be long enough to reach? So how do you do it?

shovelracer
03-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I see most guys unloading and filling their mowers and cans at off hours at stations. I myself am going to all enclosed this year and am wondering the same question. I was thinking about getting one of those gas caddies. It would need to be filled everyday, but might be easier than unloading 4 mowers. Possibly a DOT transfer tank could be good too.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-01-2008, 07:52 PM
You have to unload your mowers at the gas station. No biggie. Usually from 7-8 am there are about 10 LCO trucks unloading, filling up, then reloading. I thought about the gas caddy that could hold 25 gallons or so but I really don't want that extra weight and the risk of it exploding cause an enclosed trailer gets very hot throughout the day.

shovelracer
03-01-2008, 08:05 PM
What about the transfer tank idea. It could be vented to the outside and secured to the frame. I get the weight issue, but we're not talking about that much. Whats fuel around 8lbs / gal? A 50 gallon tank would weight around 500lbs, but if you balance out the rest of the load it isnt that big of a deal.

beano
03-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I just have 3 or 4, five gallon cans. I just keep them in the back of the pick up and fill them up every time im at the station. If your going through more than 15 or 20 gallons a day in your mowers, your cutting some serious grass. Its not a big deal just fill them and if you know your going to the gas station next, top off your mowers before you put them back in the trailer, it makes going to the gas station easier and faster.

farmboy52787
07-25-2008, 02:08 AM
You have to unload your mowers at the gas station. No biggie. Usually from 7-8 am there are about 10 LCO trucks unloading, filling up, then reloading. I thought about the gas caddy that could hold 25 gallons or so but I really don't want that extra weight and the risk of it exploding cause an enclosed trailer gets very hot throughout the day.

I have one of those 25 gallon gas caddys, its steel and it has a vent and i bolted it right to the floor. It wont explode because its got its own ground wire to the frame of the trailer and seriously the inside of the trailer does get hot but not enough to cause gas to explode. As long as the roof vent is open i can't see the inside getting more than 100, but I'm tempted to find out, so I'm going to put a thermometer in it.

PLS-Tx
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
I have one of those 25 gallon gas caddys, its steel and it has a vent and i bolted it right to the floor. It wont explode because its got its own ground wire to the frame of the trailer and seriously the inside of the trailer does get hot but not enough to cause gas to explode. As long as the roof vent is open i can't see the inside getting more than 100, but I'm tempted to find out, so I'm going to put a thermometer in it.

Where did you get your gas caddy, do you have any pics of it in the trailer?

We had 2 fuel doors put in the side of our enclosed trailer when it was built. I did talk to one dealer, he sold Halmark and we ended up getting a Pace, but he would have put the doors in if I would have bought a trailer off the lot. We ordered the Pace and the factory put them in. They do work good, we have 2 ZTR's and we can reach the front Z from the front fuel door and the back Z from the back fuel door. We also carry 4 5gal cans that we fill from the fuel doors.

I must say it was easier to fill the mowers in the open trailer, but I would not want to go back. We really like the enclosed, been using it about 2 1/2 yrs.

farmboy52787
07-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Where did you get your gas caddy, do you have any pics of it in the trailer?

We had 2 fuel doors put in the side of our enclosed trailer when it was built. I did talk to one dealer, he sold Halmark and we ended up getting a Pace, but he would have put the doors in if I would have bought a trailer off the lot. We ordered the Pace and the factory put them in. They do work good, we have 2 ZTR's and we can reach the front Z from the front fuel door and the back Z from the back fuel door. We also carry 4 5gal cans that we fill from the fuel doors.

I must say it was easier to fill the mowers in the open trailer, but I would not want to go back. We really like the enclosed, been using it about 2 1/2 yrs.
Got it from Amazon for $285, alot easier than gas cans and takes up less space, ill take some pics and post. But i didnt even bother putting the wheels or the handle on. Its a good setup though because when your done, just turn the pump the other way and it sucks whatever is left in the hose, back into the tank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CD04M

PLS-Tx
07-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Got it from Amazon for $285, alot easier than gas cans and takes up less space, ill take some pics and post. But i didnt even bother putting the wheels or the handle on. Its a good setup though because when your done, just turn the pump the other way and it sucks whatever is left in the hose, back into the tank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CD04M

Thanks, I would like to see those pics.

moose203
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
for you guys trying to figure weight gas is 6lbs and a few ounces per gallon and there is no trailer that can get hot enough to explode gas with out an outside heat source. If any one does get a transfer tank and it comes with a ground strap use it it is there for a reason. I was a fire code inspector for a few years, just trying to put the correct info out there for those that need it.

Jason

born2farm
07-26-2008, 11:18 AM
well i have always wonderd why you guys dont buy the larger steal transfer tanks that run off of a 12v. It is just like filling at the station. You could run quite a while on 100+ gallons. If you get the skinny or under tool box style you wouldnt take up much bed room.

I was just curious because we run them in our pickups at the farm and they are alot nice then crank styles or even worse using cans.

topsites
07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Usually we take the fuel cap off the tank then pour the fuel through the resulting hole.
Don't forget to put the cap back on afterwards.

PLS-Tx
07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Usually we take the fuel cap off the tank then pour the fuel through the resulting hole.
Don't forget to put the cap back on afterwards.

Now that's real helpful.

Greybeard
07-29-2008, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't use any kind of bulk tank inside a closed trailer. It's not that the gas will blow up at 100 degrees. It will vaporize into fumes. Then if there's any little spark from the lights or the metal equipment bouncing around, ka-boom. The tank itself will just add to the fire later.
A kid in our town was killed that way. They parked a tractor inside a shed, closed the door. He came out the next morning and flipped the light switch. There was a gasoline leak, and it blew up big time.

johnyredd99
09-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Um I dont know where you guys are and how short your fuel hose is but I just pull up to the pump open the side door on enclosed trailer and fill the canx that are on the rack on front wall of trailer. If you lift the fuel hose over the door you gain a couple more inches. I dont really want to be running a mower to a pump at 7 in the morning. Have you seen how much attention office workers pay while they driving around the gas station?

LawnGuy73
09-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Pull up right next to the pump go, throught the side door and you can fill up the mowers. Thats what I do do and the hose reaches all three Standers inside.

Jelinek61
09-14-2009, 09:41 PM
The other day i saw a Brickman Group lawn crew cutting at a mall newby my college. They were in their usual Ford stake rack truck w/ large enclosed trailer but the thing that caught my attention was they had an 80 gallon fuel transfer tank w/ hand pump mounted on the tongue of the trailer between the jack and the front wall. I thought it was a great idea and thought i would share.

OrangeToys
09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
what about this? http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11055-Professional-Fuel-Station/dp/B000F64S7A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1252976411&sr=8-6

justanotherlawnguy
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I was wandering how you guys with enclosed trailers get fuel to your mowers. Right now I got an open trailer and i just pull up beside the pump and fill them up. But with an enclosed trailer I wouldn't think the hose would be long enough to reach? So how do you do it?

why is this topic consistently brought up on this site? Is it so mind blowing that one with an enclosed trailer might have to unload the mower to fill it up at the station. There the secret is out...........:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Metro Lawn
09-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I order my trailers with several gas doors on it. I can fill from either side. Many enclosed snowmobile and race car trailers have these.

STIHL GUY
09-15-2009, 11:36 PM
i have seen enclosed trailers with fuel doors on the side