PDA

View Full Version : was this a good move or not,i thought it worked out ok!

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Ok so i go to a house to quote a price for an account today and as we are talking the lady starts about 40$ being more then she thought and that she didnt really need edging done so i said ok if you dont want me to edge how about 35,she agrees!
Then she starts about only mowing every 2 weeks once the spring is over for the rest of the season because she dont want to spend too much money.
Well i tried to talk her out of that alittle but then i realized i could lose the account altogether if i persisted and this house is in a great neighborhood near my house so i wanted it bad for the shot of maybe getting others their.

So i put some quick sales tactics to work and i told her i would make her a deal, i would Mow her from april till july for 35 weekly and then from july to nov Bi weekly but my price would then be 40$.
I told her that i thought it was fair for both of us since she would still save some money and i wouldnt lose as much and we made the deal.
Hey atleast i got the account and more importantly got myself into this really nice neighborhood. By the way 90% of other LCO'S would have cut this lawn for 25-30$ in the first place from everything i hear on here about pricing,the lawn was around 9k sq feet with little trimming needed.

So what do you think was that a good move on my behalf?

KS_Grasscutter
03-02-2008, 01:24 AM
I would never not edge a place just to come down on price. IMO there is NOTHING that looks worse than an un-edged yard.

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:27 AM
I would never not edge a place just to come down on price. IMO there is NOTHING that looks worse than an un-edged yard.

well you didnt meet this lady lol, i tried like hell to explain that to her but she insisted i lower the price and not edge,anyway for real i am going to edge it anyway since i want others to see a nice lawn regaurdless of the price. Oh and my question was not about the edging but about the raising the price to 40$ for the bi weekly.

Big Bad Bob
03-02-2008, 01:47 AM
well you didnt meet this lady lol, i tried like hell to explain that to her but she insisted i lower the price and not edge,anyway for real i am going to edge it anyway since i want others to see a nice lawn regaurdless of the price. Oh and my question was not about the edging but about the raising the price to 40$ for the bi weekly.

Good luck with this one. :dizzy:
By the way, do you have insurance? You have a lot to learn.
But then, maybe it's just the liquid courage talking.:drinkup:

Whitey4
03-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Great move bigw.

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Good luck with this one. :dizzy:
By the way, do you have insurance? You have a lot to learn.
But then, maybe it's just the liquid courage talking.:drinkup:

lmao you dont know the half of this lady...first of all she has 2 GREAT DANES not 1 but 2 of them and they are like freaking horse's and as we are walking around the yard she tells me to excuse the PILES!!!! I say this will be cleaned up before i come everyweek right? She proceeds to say and she was DEAD serious " well to be honest with you i usally just clean it up 2 x a "YEAR" yes thats right a YEAR!!!!! I then told her as much as id like to mow her lawn id like to keep my feet and my tires clean even more so if it couldnt be cleaned up i would not take the job...she agreed to clean it. If it is not done i will not be mowing thank you very much!!

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Great move bigw.

hmmm i dont know if you mean this or if you are just busting on me once again,ill give you the benifit of the doubt and say THANK YOU WHITEY!!!

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
once mid sept hits the grass grows like a weed again, so youll have to step it back up to once a week from mid sept till the 2nd week of november, when the season closes up around these parts

bigw
03-02-2008, 02:22 AM
once mid sept hits the grass grows like a weed again, so youll have to step it back up to once a week from mid sept till the 2nd week of november, when the season closes up around these parts

Thanks i really wasnt sure about the times, i will let her know! By the way where in horsham are you from? My wife grew up in warminster and want to Archib bishop wood. Her mom still lives down their on acorn dr. Near county line and 611

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-02-2008, 03:23 AM
im actually in huntingdon valley is where i run out of, davisville road and county line road

my office is over in horsham on dresher road between 611 and horsham rd

what kinda machines are you running? i just bid on a place next door to ya, centennial ridge....maybe i could use a hand if i ever get into a bind if im lucky enough to land it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218353

and fyi our season is usually second week of april to second week of nov. some guys get out earlier and stripe the lawn, i prefer to get all my mulch work done before beginning my mowing ops, so sometimes i dont get out till the 3rd week

lifetree
03-02-2008, 06:14 AM
BigW -- Yeah, I don't know this lady, however, from the way everything sounds I don't think I would've touched that job with a 10 foot pole !!

Roger
03-02-2008, 07:49 AM
......she agreed to clean it. If it is not done i will not be mowing thank you very much!!

Find a new account now, don't wait. They all say the same thing. Their intentions last for a couple of weeks, then skip a week, then skip three weeks, and then no cleanup at all.

The edging issue is the least of your concerns.

No way would have I have fussed with this lady. To answer your question: Do the right thing? NO.

jc1
03-02-2008, 07:57 AM
On these jobs your selling and the prices your showing on here $35 weekly then $40 biweekly, is this before your 20% discount to the customer?
I am going to suggest that if you already sent out thousands of post cards, any more you send out should be for name/logo recognition and not have so many discounts listed. The excitement of selling and adding so many customers can soon turn to disappointment when your cutting 50 lawns a week in the heat for $27.00 or $32.00 each instead of $35-$40 each. you realize that $350 a week your not making can be the difference between being in business next season and not. Without 20% off you only need to cut 40 each week to make the same money. Next season after these customers had 20% off or more on other services, how are you going to raise their price?
Do you think that they will stay on if they have to pay $210 more for weekly cutting plus an additional 20% on clean ups and 25% on plowing?
These are questions I ask after being priced too low for the first 2 years in business myself.

lawnman_scott
03-02-2008, 09:02 AM
When she doesnt clean up, and roger is right, she will for a week or two, then it will go longer and longer. But when this happnes and you need the money, so you are mowing it along with the free edging, what will this customer think? What alot think thanks to some lawnguys, that he is so honored to be doing our lawn that we can get him to do anything and we can walk all over him. Are you one of those guys who talks about how gread of advertizing word of mouth is? You better hope it isnt that good.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Find a new account now, don't wait. They all say the same thing. Their intentions last for a couple of weeks, then skip a week, then skip three weeks, and then no cleanup at all.

The edging issue is the least of your concerns.

No way would have I have fussed with this lady. To answer your question: Do the right thing? NO.

I agree with Roger on this 100%. This lady gave you all the PITA warning signs, asking you not to edge, skip mowings to get a lower price. I would have turned this one down from my past experience and I could use some new yards big time. I'm affraid you will come to hate this one if she has not found someone cheaper by summer and you get the call "I know longer need you".

bigw
03-02-2008, 09:19 AM
On these jobs your selling and the prices your showing on here $35 weekly then $40 biweekly, is this before your 20% discount to the customer?
I am going to suggest that if you already sent out thousands of post cards, any more you send out should be for name/logo recognition and not have so many discounts listed. The excitement of selling and adding so many customers can soon turn to disappointment when your cutting 50 lawns a week in the heat for $27.00 or $32.00 each instead of $35-$40 each. you realize that $350 a week your not making can be the difference between being in business next season and not. Without 20% off you only need to cut 40 each week to make the same money. Next season after these customers had 20% off or more on other services, how are you going to raise their price?
Do you think that they will stay on if they have to pay $210 more for weekly cutting plus an additional 20% on clean ups and 25% on plowing?
These are questions I ask after being priced too low for the first 2 years in business myself.

I have not given a single discount as of yet and i am up to 22 accounts,this new card has not even gone out yet and i only bought 500 of them to start. I dont have any lawns under 30 and in fact only 3 under 40...this lady had my old card so their was no percentage off!

jc1
03-02-2008, 09:33 AM
So at this point you are signing all these customers with out a discount. It is quite impressive to motivate so many customers to call and sign up this early in the season without some special offer or low prices. I guess I need to say good job on signing them up (even though I am skeptical).

Sunstate Lawn
03-02-2008, 09:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with what your doing, IMO. Basic economics says do what you need to do to get contracts, then when you have the opportunity let them go. One PITA customer now pays the bills. I have a PITA right now that I'm looking forward to either dumping or renewing with revisions to contract.

"I guess I need to say good job on signing them up (even though I am skeptical)."

I'm not skeptical at all. I've read quite a few of bigw's posts and he seems to have experience in sales.

Good luck big. I love your logo.

bigw
03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
So at this point you are signing all these customers with out a discount. It is quite impressive to motivate so many customers to call and sign up this early in the season without some special offer or low prices. I guess I need to say good job on signing them up (even though I am skeptical).

you can be as skeptical as youd like, i have no reason to make up lies about how i am doing. I am the same person that came on here and said i bought all this new equipment and had 0 customers so if i was a liar i would have said i had 50 not 0.

bigw
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
im actually in huntingdon valley is where i run out of, davisville road and county line road

my office is over in horsham on dresher road between 611 and horsham rd

what kinda machines are you running? i just bid on a place next door to ya, centennial ridge....maybe i could use a hand if i ever get into a bind if im lucky enough to land it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218353

and fyi our season is usually second week of april to second week of nov. some guys get out earlier and stripe the lawn, i prefer to get all my mulch work done before beginning my mowing ops, so sometimes i dont get out till the 3rd week

This place is about 45 secounds from my house and i actually thought about bidding on it myself but i decided not to since i am a one man gang right now,oh and i have a 60" lazer z and a 36" quick and 22" toro along with every thing else i need! Let me know if you ever need some help!!

Weekes
03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey atleast i got the account and more importantly got myself into this really nice neighborhood. By the way 90% of other LCO'S would have cut this lawn for 25-30$ in the first place from everything i hear on here about pricing,the lawn was around 9k sq feet with little trimming needed.

So what do you think was that a good move on my behalf?

I think my concern with this is that you want in a good neighborhood, and yet with all of her requirements this will definitely not be one of your better show houses. Others in the neighborhood will see that you show up only every other week and they may think that is how you work. And they will surely see that you don't trim.

I know this is not how you would normally work and you can do a great job I am sure. Its just that this will not be a showcase house.

I total understand that as we are getting started in this business we sometimes take lawns others would not touch, you might be able to swing this to a positive.

You have shown you are willing to spend money to advertise see if she will cut a deal and make sure the lawn is clean from poop every week, and put a nice small sign in her yard to advertise. In trade you will mow and trim her yard every week for $30.

The idea is that she has been cheap in the past and possible an eye sore to the neighborhood if as you say it is a great place to get into for mowing. You can count your losses as advertising and those in the area will take notice of your great work and you may actually make a good impression instead of being known as this old lady's newest cheap mower guy.

If you land other accounts in area as you hope you will make up for any loses incurred.

bigw
03-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I think my concern with this is that you want in a good neighborhood, and yet with all of her requirements this will definitely not be one of your better show houses. Others in the neighborhood will see that you show up only every other week and they may think that is how you work. And they will surely see that you don't trim.

I know this is not how you would normally work and you can do a great job I am sure. Its just that this will not be a showcase house.

I total understand that as we are getting started in this business we sometimes take lawns others would not touch, you might be able to swing this to a positive.

You have shown you are willing to spend money to advertise see if she will cut a deal and make sure the lawn is clean from poop every week, and put a nice small sign in her yard to advertise. In trade you will mow and trim her yard every week for $30.

The idea is that she has been cheap in the past and possible an eye sore to the neighborhood if as you say it is a great place to get into for mowing. You can count your losses as advertising and those in the area will take notice of your great work and you may actually make a good impression instead of being known as this old lady's newest cheap mower guy.

If you land other accounts in area as you hope you will make up for any loses incurred.

Did you miss the part where i say i will be mowing Weekly from april till july and even then going bi weekly afterwards is not etched in stone!

jc1
03-02-2008, 04:40 PM
First I am not calling you a lair. What I am saying is that if you are consistantly signing customers with very few declining it is not the norm. It's not the same pattern that has been posted by many others on this forum. It is unlikely that someone would sign up 80-90% of the jobs they estimated. Price is a big factor in that. If very few decline chances are that the prices are low. I am skeptical about you saying you haven't discounted any prices, if you havent they may be too low. Now that you have picked up accounts try to sell at a higher price to see the price level that meets resistance. You might not get them signed up but you will know the upper price range that customers are willing to pay. Then adjust your prices to fit between what you've sold and what you haven't. I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say.

Grits
03-02-2008, 05:52 PM
She is going to be a PITA.

bill8379
03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
At least you got a pressure washer to wash the dog **** off your tires.:laugh:

Man I hate yards where they don't clean up, I still have one and now I know they are not going to change. So this spring if they phone me i'm going to decline. I can afford to be a little bit choosier or maybe I can't and I'm just sick of them. Either way, doggy doo doo = no service.

Big Bad Bob
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Did you miss the part where i say i will be mowing Weekly from april till july and even then going bi weekly afterwards is not etched in stone!

Oh, it's etched in stone. I am pretty sure that if you try to change the schedule, you will soon lose your "neighborhood showcase" house.

I just hope you can pick up a few more houses in that neighborhood, very fast.
The problem is that most of the other neighbors will see you as the newest cheap lco and will probably shy away because they will think this is the kind of customer you specialize in, as Weekes has already stated.
If you try to trim, for free, just for appearances, the other neighbors you may get will wonder why they have to pay for it and she doesn't.
Been there, done that. Cheap is cheap is cheap is cheap is cheap.

Runner
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
No way...you are going to end up doing one of three things...Picking up dog poo just so you ca mow, washing it off your wheels, or waiting on here as she comes out as you arrive and stand there and wait - watching her pick the stuff up...Guaranteed. If I was that eager for that neighborhood, I would be knocking on doors to find someone that is serious about wanting a nice lawn. Yo will get paid for weekly cuts, AND edging it. No way would I bother with this sort of prospective customer. Book for the season, and don't look back. Let's face it,...there is NOT going to be a whole lot of upselling on this place. get out there and show the people in the rea what you can DO,...not what you are limited to with your hands tied.

Big Bad Bob
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
First I am not calling you a lair. What I am saying is that if you are consistantly signing customers with very few declining it is not the norm. It's not the same pattern that has been posted by many others on this forum. It is unlikely that someone would sign up 80-90% of the jobs they estimated. Price is a big factor in that. If very few decline chances are that the prices are low. I am skeptical about you saying you haven't discounted any prices, if you havent they may be too low. Now that you have picked up accounts try to sell at a higher price to see the price level that meets resistance. You might not get them signed up but you will know the upper price range that customers are willing to pay. Then adjust your prices to fit between what you've sold and what you haven't. I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say.

What he is saying is to overprice slightly so as to not get the account and then chalk it up to market research. That's the only way to tell what the market will bear. I only get 25% of my bids but 99% of the ones I get are quality, always pay and never complain and allow me to upsell to other services. It works for me in my market. I do still, however, have to remind a customer that payment is due or to pick up the yard, from time to time. Nobody's perfect.
You said you were in sales. I'm sure you understand this concept. If not, maybe you have some differring advice for us. I always welcome dissent.
I do still get a new lco asking me about pricing and when I tell them how I bid they get all freaked out about, "HOW CAN YOU WALK AWAY FROM A JOB WITHOUT NEGOTIATING?":laugh:payuppayuppayup:drinkup:

topsites
03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
All things considered, that's pretty good.

Don't worry about the naysayers so much, I think it could be they somehow seem to fail to remember their beginnings... But do keep up that stiff upper lip, you do need to stand up to them (the customers) just like you did, otherwise you would've lost out.

I might agree that you shouldn't take bids based on the fact that you might or might not get other customers, but for fear of messing you up I think you best just keep doing exactly what you are.

So you'll be fine, don't worry about it, keep doing it just like that.

Yeah but in your first year you had all the great customers?

I'm just messing with you, but this is how Lco's start out and this is by far not the worst, great it ain't but it can get a lot worse. For a first year customer that's actually about as good as it gets, you might get one or two here and there that's better but don't make that mistake of assuming I'm giving mine up.

It takes time, it just does, everyone has to start somewhere.
We all start small, way down at the bottom and work our way up.
And if I had to do it all over again, I'd pick this one customer, too.
Because she'll get you where you're headed.

bigw
03-02-2008, 08:45 PM

lmao you would die if you saw the prices i have for these accounts,i would bet my prices are far from low and just because i can close a deal that dont mean im low.
I have learned how to over come objections and thats all sales is, overcoming objections making the benifits out weigh the cost and after many years in sales i have become very well at that.
Even in auto sales which the national average in closing deals is something like 20% for sales people i was consistantly over 50% and actually 66% my last 3 years. I wish i could show you everyone of my estimates just to prove my point even though i shouldnt have too.
Why is it so hard to believe that someone could close at a better percentage then you or some others ? See when you go to someones house you walk the lawn and quote a price,they say ok thanks we will call you and you leave or something like that im sure. When i go to a house i spend time building raport with my future customer i learn all about them and their families,i laugh with them and talk about whatever intrest them.
I make them feel like i genuinely care about their concerns and then i explain all the benifits of hiring my company for each and evryone of their needs and i do this before i even break out a measuring wheel or mention a price.
Anyway im getting tired of having to prove myself so you just believe what you will.

bigw
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Trust me i am not that desperate that if she is a pita that i will keep her,i will drop her like a bad habit if need be!

bigw
03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
At least you got a pressure washer to wash the dog **** off your tires.:laugh:

Man I hate yards where they don't clean up, I still have one and now I know they are not going to change. So this spring if they phone me i'm going to decline. I can afford to be a little bit choosier or maybe I can't and I'm just sick of them. Either way, doggy doo doo = no service.

We discussed this in detail and when i call her back to give her my route day for her area i will stress it again and if i dont feel like she will keep her word then i will tell that right then and their.

bigw
03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh, it's etched in stone. I am pretty sure that if you try to change the schedule, you will soon lose your "neighborhood showcase" house.

I just hope you can pick up a few more houses in that neighborhood, very fast.
The problem is that most of the other neighbors will see you as the newest cheap lco and will probably shy away because they will think this is the kind of customer you specialize in, as Weekes has already stated.
If you try to trim, for free, just for appearances, the other neighbors you may get will wonder why they have to pay for it and she doesn't.
Been there, done that. Cheap is cheap is cheap is cheap is cheap.

No it is not etched in stone, i mean did you talk to her to know this for fact? Well i did and she was the one that said more then likely unless their is a drought she will stay weekly and if she dont thats fine.
Look i am flooding her neighborhood as we speak with post cards so chances are i will have another or 2 in that area before i even start the season so she just may not be my showcase on that block afterall!

bigw
03-02-2008, 08:56 PM
No way...you are going to end up doing one of three things...Picking up dog poo just so you ca mow, washing it off your wheels, or waiting on here as she comes out as you arrive and stand there and wait - watching her pick the stuff up...Guaranteed. If I was that eager for that neighborhood, I would be knocking on doors to find someone that is serious about wanting a nice lawn. Yo will get paid for weekly cuts, AND edging it. No way would I bother with this sort of prospective customer. Book for the season, and don't look back. Let's face it,...there is NOT going to be a whole lot of upselling on this place. get out there and show the people in the rea what you can DO,...not what you are limited to with your hands tied.

Ok lets break this down...#1 Picking up dog poo just so you can mow {aint never going to happen} #2...washing it off your wheels, { Dont think so}
..#3..waiting on her as she comes out as you arrive and stand there and wait {Maybe but that would be ok because id just start on the front lawn which the dogs never touch and which is actually bigger then the back lawn}

capnsac
03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
being she docked 5 dollars off your price because she didn't want you to edge her lawn just so she could save 150 dollars over the course of THIRTY weeks says one thing, CHEAP. She knows you'll end up edging it anyway, she called your bluff and you lost. Drop her now, and drop her fast.

EJD Lawnpride
03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I've been down that road before. Forget about it! You'll wind up edging it, and mowing poo. I know I did. I couldn't let a house not get edged,and couldn't wait for customer to pick up after dogs. We even had to push mow this area. What a pain! Get out while you can, there will be others. My buddy picks up the poo, and leaves it on porch. If any gets on shoes he wipes his feet on their welcome mat lol.

tsi guy
03-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey!!
big w, I see alot of crap that you get on the this sight. but where all not like some of these's other lco. I'm jealous ,I'm still trying to get a business card together. I'm part time at mowing at finally bought a big ztr this year and only looking for jobs that this machine will cut. I'm looking in the industrial parks down the street from my full time job. I'm looking to land maybe ten or twelve accounts. I've had 10 to 15 res. accounts for the past five years. I'm sweating on getting accounts. my goal is to pay my mower off this year so I can by a new snow plow. but just wanted to say good job and best of luck

tom

Whitey4
03-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey!!
big w, I see alot of crap that you get on the this sight. but where all not like some of these's other lco. I'm jealous ,I'm still trying to get a business card together. I'm part time at mowing at finally bought a big ztr this year and only looking for jobs that this machine will cut. I'm looking in the industrial parks down the street from my full time job. I'm looking to land maybe ten or twelve accounts. I've had 10 to 15 res. accounts for the past five years. I'm sweating on getting accounts. my goal is to pay my mower off this year so I can by a new snow plow. but just wanted to say good job and best of luck

tom

Be sure to run that new business card through a spell checker first.

bigw
03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey!!

tom

Im getting used to it , its nothing more then a few most are very helpful.

bigw
03-02-2008, 11:37 PM
being she docked 5 dollars off your price because she didn't want you to edge her lawn just so she could save 150 dollars over the course of THIRTY weeks says one thing, CHEAP. She knows you'll end up edging it anyway, she called your bluff and you lost. Drop her now, and drop her fast.

Man what would i do with out you? their was no bluff, she thought 40 was to much said she didnt need edging i offerd to do it for 35. I probably will edge it once in awhile to keep it looking good for my sake and the lawn is a 30$ lawn to begin with {9K sq ft} so you tell me how i lost? Dont go telling me you never had "any cheap customers or pita's" because you are a liar if you do.
Lets not forget one thing here fellows this is my first year, i originally thought of starting my own lawn care business on OCT 29th 2007 and its winter here still and i am looking to build my customer base as much as possible "with out" low balling and i have done that so far to the tune of 22 accounts 19 res and 3 com.
I know alot of you guys cant understand it or even believe me but their are some on here that know i am being truthful and i know that i am so thats all that counts.
You want to know what really cracks me up? Most that doubt me are also the same ones that PM me and ask for my advice!!

capnsac
03-03-2008, 05:46 AM
[QUOTE=bigw;2185945]Man what would i do with out you? their was no bluff, she thought 40 was to much said she didnt need edging i offerd to do it for 35. I probably will edge it once in awhile to keep it looking good for my sake and the lawn is a 30$ lawn to begin with {9K sq ft} so you tell me how i lost? Dont go telling me you never had "any cheap customers or pita's" because you are a liar if you do.

You know nothing about me or my business so don't try and call me a liar. In any case I was not the one who asked a question about my business, it was you. Next time you feel all-knowing maybe you shouldn't ask if you did the right thing or not, because clearly you already had your mind made up that you did. A good idea for the next time you ask advice is to not be a sarcastic demeaning ass-hole towards everyone else that disagrees with you. I didn't call you names, I simply stated that if I was in your position I would have left the job for someone else to do. There are people that aren't going to blow rose petals up your ass, me being one of them. I hope the job works out for you though and that all the naysayers are put to rest.

topsites
03-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Yeah and I hate to say it but with bigw anyone with that kind of an attitude actually stands a chance... I see too many Lco's coming in here bending over backwards and worse, bigw did allow this customer to get away with a few things, yes. But he's as likely to be here 3 and 4 years from now because when I first came to LS it was the SAME farking story.

You bet, they fought me and I fought back.
Most aren't around anymore, some still are.
So who is right, who is wrong?

Because I warn you, if you think you can just walk away as you guys say then you better be prepared to walk away from about 19 out of every 20 callers! But at the very least you have to walk away from 9 out of 10 and if you're really picky then it's more like 98-99 out of every 100!

Now you either got some kind of a VOLUME going on to support that, or you don't. And for those just starting out, it's like if I never drove a car and I need to get some experience, you think I can just walk into the nearest Porsche dealership and they'll be so kind as to let me use their latest and greatest, you know, for practice?

I don't think so, and it's the same way in this business, those of you getting into the peachy accounts either have years behind you or something else isn't being told. Because I know for a fact good customers take a long time to accumulate, ain't like they call you all at once and you never get one that isn't 100%.... More like the opposite, I get MOST of my calls are for work I don't want, but either you can walk away from it, or you can't!

It's more than just the PITA factor, it has to do with money and raw survival. You walk away from everyone that don't look 100% to you and you just might not even make it through summer, too! Now I dislike preaching that one should take on anything but the most awesome yards, but we all have to start somewhere.

So bigw's got his head on straight, at least he's not the 18-year old asking us which 2008 $40,000 model truck to get! You have to start somewhere, rock bottom ain't pretty but this customer is a WAYS from there yet.

I think for the first 3-4 years there's hardly such a thing as the perfect customer, I'm in my 7th year and still looking hard for those few, but there's also a LOT worse out there and I do not think this customer is going to be that bad!

It ain't gonna be but so pretty, but why does anyone have to know all that?
It would be different, with the fools bidding commercial props in their first year asking us every single question, there I can kind of see it.

Looks to me like bigw has at least partly done his research, there's a lot of bs involved so I don't think we can expect much better, this is as good as new Lco's get.

Let it go, he'll be fine.

topsites
03-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Just so we get this straight, no, I won't deal with a customer like this today.
But do you guys think I'm giving you mine?
Or, are you giving away yours?

So what's left?
What is left is the average customer, and they're not as bad as it may sound.

Here are some of the good points about average customers:
- They're happy if you just show up, if you're late they don't care (well, it's all right).
- If you scalp their lawn they don't care, well yes they do, but it's all right.
- You can take your shirt OFF in an average customer's lawn and it don't mean a thing.
- You don't want to act the total fool, but the average customer accepts you for who you are.
- The average customer don't look down on you!
> Matter of fact, some look up to us!
- The average customer's money spends the same and just as good.
- They're actually much easier to get along with.

It takes SKILL to deal with what we consider good customers, a lot of them can be very demanding in comparison, more than a few think of us as the 'puny little lawn boy,' oh man you want to talk how mad that makes me?
The average customer isn't all that worried about it, very few of them have ever talked down on me.

So they're not all bad, there are a lot of very good qualities about the average customer that are in exact opposition to what is considered the good customer. Try and not show up for a day or two at some of your fancier yards, what happens? Right, the average customer I've showed up a week late and they're still happy, wasn't like I did it on purpose but they don't even act like anything's wrong, they don't say a word to you, I ain't lying.

Have a nice day now :laugh:

Big Bad Bob
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=bigw;2185945]Man what would i do with out you? their was no bluff, she thought 40 was to much said she didnt need edging i offerd to do it for 35. I probably will edge it once in awhile to keep it looking good for my sake and the lawn is a 30$ lawn to begin with {9K sq ft} so you tell me how i lost? Dont go telling me you never had "any cheap customers or pita's" because you are a liar if you do.

You know nothing about me or my business so don't try and call me a liar. In any case I was not the one who asked a question about my business, it was you. Next time you feel all-knowing maybe you shouldn't ask if you did the right thing or not, because clearly you already had your mind made up that you did. A good idea for the next time you ask advice is to not be a sarcastic demeaning ass-hole towards everyone else that disagrees with you. I didn't call you names, I simply stated that if I was in your position I would have left the job for someone else to do. There are people that aren't going to blow rose petals up your ass, me being one of them. I hope the job works out for you though and that all the naysayers are put to rest.

Where is Boobby G when we need him? :laugh:

bigw
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Just like you know nothing about " her calling my bluff " and i simply said you would be lying if you were to tell me that you never had a pita customer, I dont want or need you to blow anything up my ass but you can kiss my ass.Maybe you should learn how to read before you just go assuming you know what you are talking about! I simply wanted an answer about me raising the price if it went to bi weekly i didnt want all this bull s from a bunch of people that only read what they want to read and not the entire question. I am so sick and tired of one person bashing someone and then its like the peanut gallery has to jump in and tag team up and see how far you can push someone. Dont be a smart ass and you wont get a smart ass response!!

Frue
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Just so we get this straight, no, I won't deal with a customer like this today.
But do you guys think I'm giving you mine?
Or, are you giving away yours?

So what's left?
What is left is the average customer, and they're not as bad as it may sound.

Here are some of the good points about average customers:
- They're happy if you just show up, if you're late they don't care (well, it's all right).
- If you scalp their lawn they don't care, well yes they do, but it's all right.
- You can take your shirt OFF in an average customer's lawn and it don't mean a thing.
- You don't want to act the total fool, but the average customer accepts you for who you are.
- The average customer don't look down on you!
> Matter of fact, some look up to us!
- The average customer's money spends the same and just as good.
- They're actually much easier to get along with.

It takes SKILL to deal with what we consider good customers, a lot of them can be very demanding in comparison, more than a few think of us as the 'puny little lawn boy,' oh man you want to talk how mad that makes me?
The average customer isn't all that worried about it, very few of them have ever talked down on me.

So they're not all bad, there are a lot of very good qualities about the average customer that are in exact opposition to what is considered the good customer. Try and not show up for a day or two at some of your fancier yards, what happens? Right, the average customer I've showed up a week late and they're still happy, wasn't like I did it on purpose but they don't even act like anything's wrong, they don't say a word to you, I ain't lying.

Have a nice day now :laugh:

This is a awesome post...... If he can get a few years out of her while the business grows he has done a great thing. I had a pita my first year and I kept her all the way till this year. Did it matter that I lost her? no way she helped me get to where I am.
Now I do not have to take the push mow the back or thats to much. Now I can say I understand your dilema and sugest someone else. Dont worry bigw do what you have to do then pass her on in a few years.
Buy the way the price seems great with the sq footage you posted I would have been at 32.00, with no bi weekly.

bigw
03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah and I hate to say it but with bigw anyone with that kind of an attitude actually stands a chance... I see too many Lco's coming in here bending over backwards and worse, bigw did allow this customer to get away with a few things, yes. But he's as likely to be here 3 and 4 years from now because when I first came to LS it was the SAME farking story.

You bet, they fought me and I fought back.
Most aren't around anymore, some still are.
So who is right, who is wrong?

Because I warn you, if you think you can just walk away as you guys say then you better be prepared to walk away from about 19 out of every 20 callers! But at the very least you have to walk away from 9 out of 10 and if you're really picky then it's more like 98-99 out of every 100!

Now you either got some kind of a VOLUME going on to support that, or you don't. And for those just starting out, it's like if I never drove a car and I need to get some experience, you think I can just walk into the nearest Porsche dealership and they'll be so kind as to let me use their latest and greatest, you know, for practice?

I don't think so, and it's the same way in this business, those of you getting into the peachy accounts either have years behind you or something else isn't being told. Because I know for a fact good customers take a long time to accumulate, ain't like they call you all at once and you never get one that isn't 100%.... More like the opposite, I get MOST of my calls are for work I don't want, but either you can walk away from it, or you can't!

It's more than just the PITA factor, it has to do with money and raw survival. You walk away from everyone that don't look 100% to you and you just might not even make it through summer, too! Now I dislike preaching that one should take on anything but the most awesome yards, but we all have to start somewhere.

So bigw's got his head on straight, at least he's not the 18-year old asking us which 2008 $40,000 model truck to get! You have to start somewhere, rock bottom ain't pretty but this customer is a WAYS from there yet.

I think for the first 3-4 years there's hardly such a thing as the perfect customer, I'm in my 7th year and still looking hard for those few, but there's also a LOT worse out there and I do not think this customer is going to be that bad!

It ain't gonna be but so pretty, but why does anyone have to know all that?
It would be different, with the fools bidding commercial props in their first year asking us every single question, there I can kind of see it.

Looks to me like bigw has at least partly done his research, there's a lot of bs involved so I don't think we can expect much better, this is as good as new Lco's get.

Let it go, he'll be fine.

Thank you, i do believe some of these guys forget that i am only just starting out and talk to me like i should know better then to ask such stupid questions,i think i have done my share of getting upset on here but i also believe i have been Bashed unjustly many times over and i for one am sick of it so if you are going to bash me then be prepaired because i aint one of your punk friends down the street.

bigw
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
This is a awesome post...... If he can get a few years out of her while the business grows he has done a great thing. I had a pita my first year and I kept her all the way till this year. Did it matter that I lost her? no way she helped me get to where I am.
Now I do not have to take the push mow the back or thats to much. Now I can say I understand your dilema and sugest someone else. Dont worry bigw do what you have to do then pass her on in a few years.
Buy the way the price seems great with the sq footage you posted I would have been at 32.00, with no bi weekly.

Thanks buddy and sure i knew she might be alittle difficult but i dont run away and not take this job when im just starting out just because she has dog crap in her yard and wanted a 5$ break in the price.
I will take her on her word that she will clean it up and if she dont then i will do what i think is needed. I for one tend to believe someone and not just assume she is going to be a pita, she may turn out to be my best customer in the end you just dont know!!!

Jay Ray
03-03-2008, 10:33 AM
If they make an effort to clean it that is good enough for me. If they did it the day before, pulling a shovel off the rack and scooping up 3 or 4 mushrooms is not a big deal to me.

capnsac
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=capnsac;2186271]

Just like you know nothing about " her calling my bluff " and i simply said you would be lying if you were to tell me that you never had a pita customer, I dont want or need you to blow anything up my ass but you can kiss my ass.Maybe you should learn how to read before you just go assuming you know what you are talking about! I simply wanted an answer about me raising the price if it went to bi weekly i didnt want all this bull s from a bunch of people that only read what they want to read and not the entire question. I am so sick and tired of one person bashing someone and then its like the peanut gallery has to jump in and tag team up and see how far you can push someone. Dont be a smart ass and you wont get a smart ass response!!

I read the entire question, and I gave you a response. Next time I'll just say, 'yes BIGW you were 100% right by doing this.' because that's obviously what you wanted to hear. I put what I would have done and got a smart ass response for my thoughts... Way to be mature. :hammerhead: