PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Honda weedeaters??

DENNIS MOW
03-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Does anyone use Honda weedeaters in their business? I have used them in mine for the past 5 years. I have switched over to from Sthil. I have found out they are cheaper to run because, they are pure 4 stroke and safer to run. You dont have to run them at a full throttle when your around rocks and cars. The ports dont clog up like a 2 cycle. They are alot quiter. Let me know some input from other bussiness. What kind of weedeaters you use and what you think. Thank You

FIREPOWER
03-02-2008, 09:59 AM
You probably cant go wrong with a Honda motor..lol. I just picked up a CubCadet 4 Stroker and am curious to see how it does.

DENNIS MOW
03-02-2008, 10:15 AM
You probably cant go wrong with a Honda motor..lol. I just picked up a CubCadet 4 Stroker and am curious to see how it does. you will like not mixing the gas with oil i have found out the $$$$$ you save the price of gas you have to look at ways to save money...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-02-2008, 10:17 AM
2 things to a weedwhacker, iz it light and does it run,the honda was heavy to us........

kleankutslawn
03-02-2008, 11:19 AM
i haven't seen them down here?

yungman
03-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I am not in the business but I bought the HHT31S and absolutely love it. I have the bike handle, using the harness, I don't feel the weight even for an hour of non stop trimming.

If you worry about the weight. Just remember the most popular Shindaiwa T272 weight 14.7lb also, just as heavy as Honda HHT35S and is not as powerful. Honda is a lot cheaper, I saw deal selling HHT35S for $359 where Shindaiwa T272 for $439. Honda HHT25S is 13lb, $329.

Honda GX25 and GX35 are used on other construction equipment and are popular in RC model society and so far no negative comments on either one of them. Their trimmers have life time warrentee on the internal drive cable.

I really think people have pre-concieved idea of Honda that it is too heavy to do the job. Honda do not push their products at all, not like Tanaka and Stihl.

I personally would stay away from hybrid 4 cycles, search past threads here and read them.

Guys, if you keep complaining about the weight of Honda, do weight and quit smoking!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:

RGM
03-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I have used the new 4 stroke at a show and they kick ass but are kind of pricey but get used to it soon or later gov will get rid of the 2 stroke. The cub is OK does have the power but don't know if it will hold up to commercial use and its heavy

Zooropa93
03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
The 31 was a nice unit, the 35 is just as reliable but it's heavier than the 31 it replaced.

yungman
03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
The 31 was a nice unit, the 35 is just as reliable but it's heavier than the 31 it replaced.

They are same 14.7lb. The old 31cc is a OHV where the new GX35 is OHC. I bought the HHT31S just because I am old fashion, I buy the one that has long history. I was lucky I found a brand new HHT31S so I bought it right a way. It is so quiet, the wind noise of the head is as loud as the engine. Changing oil is very easy, a lot easier than lawn mower. Just remove the drain plug and drain into the bottle. It's a 2 minute job.

Also it is a lot healthier for the operator to run this because it is a 4 cycle, a lot cleaner and no oil burning.

Jason Rose
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Iv'e never seen one of these either... How do they work in different positions? I run my 2 strokes upside-down often, you can't do that with a true 4 stroke with an oil resivour can you? Of course I wouldn't be a fan of the weight either, my Husqvarna 323L trimmers are about 9.6 lbs.

yungman
03-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Iv'e never seen one of these either... How do they work in different positions? I run my 2 strokes upside-down often, you can't do that with a true 4 stroke with an oil resivour can you? Of course I wouldn't be a fan of the weight either, my Husqvarna 323L trimmers are about 9.6 lbs.

Honda claim it can work in all position. This question is raised in the RC universe also because people mount them upside down and also they fly inverted also. Apparently they don't have an issue with it.

The theory is that the engine would whip the oil into a mist so it is not sitting in the bottom. I did experiment, It seemed that if you turn the engine sideway as soon as you start it cold, it will stutter a little and then it will go back to normal. If let it idle for 20 second before changing position, I don't notice anything. Go read up in RCuniverse.

I think either Honda or true 2 stroke is good, no hybrid. I was debating between Honda HHT35S and Redmax BCZ3001S until I found the HHT31S with the old push rod engine, I bought it.

FIREPOWER
03-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Once it greens up here, I'll post how the Cub does. It is very quiet.

yungman
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Once it greens up here, I'll post how the Cub does. It is very quiet.

Is Club Cab same as Troy Bilt and Ryobi which all make by MTD? If so, I have the Troy Bilt TB475 for years. I use it pretty hard. I weck everything. The motor seemed to work good. I had to change the carb ones but it must be my fault. I put in gas that the cover of the tank was not tight for a period of time and I left gas in for long time. I used it very hard, then sit for a month, use it hard again, old gas and all. The engine is good. I actually bought a spare engine on ebay. I just swap the carb and it is all good. Only thing is that it is a half crank, replacing the starter is going to be hard. The crankcase is made of strong material, stronger than Echo, Shindaiwa etc. The others crack very easy.

The trimmer head is a different story, The Honda is so much better. The line don't come out easy, have to keep tapping it. The trimmer is too short, it is hard on the back and it turn in the wrong direction which whip eveything towards me!!!!

mowerbrad
03-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I didn't even realize that Honda makes trimmers until it was brought up on here. Around my area I haven't seen any at any dealer I've been to.

yungman
03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't even realize that Honda makes trimmers until it was brought up on here. Around my area I haven't seen any at any dealer I've been to.

They make edger, mini tiller( Mantis type ) big tillers. They have blowers HHB25 and hedge trimmer HHH25, but not import to US. They don't advertise like Tanaka and Stihl. Well you don't see a lot of Honda car commercial either!!!

Other than FG100 which had bad gear box, I never heard any problem with their lawn equipments. They since change to FG110 which is better. Their engine is sure a whole lot better than those hybrids.

I hope the 2 cycles can survive, if we have to be stuck with the hybrids, it will be sad. Just hope Honda start importing their other stuff.

lawnkingforever
03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Yungaman, you are correct, I have the same Troybuilt trimmer and it just keeps running, I bought a new commercial trimmer, so the TB will be just a back up this year. I almost bought a used Honda trimmer, it was the high end residential unit, dealer was asking 269$ for it. It seemed a little heavy but ran good. Offered 225$ for it, but he wouldn't budge, so I bought something else.

yungman
03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Yungaman, you are correct, I have the same Troybuilt trimmer and it just keeps running, I bought a new commercial trimmer, so the TB will be just a back up this year. I almost bought a used Honda trimmer, it was the high end residential unit, dealer was asking 269$ for it. It seemed a little heavy but ran good. Offered 225$ for it, but he wouldn't budge, so I bought something else.

They are good for the price. Lowes selling it for only $169. The engine is a 2 ring engine also. They got to make the sheft longer. Ryobi and Troy Bilt stuff are better than people give them credit. They make good throw away tools and they last long enough.

emerichsales
03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
We have sold a lot of Echo SRM-260's which is now a SRM-265. We have had great luck with these. It has a 5 year consumer warranty and a 1 year commercial warranty. We even sell to some of the large Landscapers like The BrickMan Group and they were using stihl and are Now Buying all ECHO.

Echo has come a long way in the last 10 years. Echo Engines are designed to last 1500 hours or more.

TOP 10 REASONS

1. The Brand Trusted Most by the Pros - ECHO leads the industry with the best selling, most trusted and reliable hand-held outdoor power equipment for commercial operators.

2. Highest Engine Durability Rating - ECHO certifies all its engines to the highest engine durability level granted by the EPA for hand held outdoor power equipment - 300 hrs. That's 300 hours of Emissions Durability and Expected Useful Life, which is up to six times higher than the rating given by some of our competitors who claim to offer commercial quality engines.

3. Single Engine Technology - for all ECHO products means no inventory conversions, new tools for multiple engine platforms or service team retraining. ECHO Power Boost Tornado technology powers a commercial-grade line of outdoor power equipment with superior engine performance.

4. Commercial-Grade Design - All ECHO products are designed for commercial applications and include a chromed engine cylinder, dual crankshaft bearings, tried and proven engine air-flow dynamics, superior air filtration and maximum durability in every product we design and manufacture.

5. Power Boost Tornado Technology - delivers a high performance, clean-burning, 2-stroke engine that will meet all EPA and CARB regulations. The result: leading edge technology that delivers performance, fuel economy and high engine output.

6. I-start - engine starting technology reduces the effort required to start the engine by 75% as compared to standard 2-stroke engines.

7. Rapid-Loader trimmer head - no one makes line changes easier, just insert two sections of line into the brass eyelets and you're good to go! No more mess or tangles, Rapid-Loader makes line changes "Lightening Fast".

8. Power Blend Universal Two-Stroke Oil - exceeds ISO-L-EGD and JASO M345 FC/FD requirements. This synthetic blend of engine oil is certified for use in all air-cooled two-stroke outdoor power equipment engines. It provides superior cleaning capabilities that minimize exhaust port blockage. Special additives reduce rust, wear and corrosion while providing low smoke emissions. Power Blend also contains a fuel stabilizer that extends fuel life by 200 percent.

9. Coast-to-Coast Dealer sales and support - An extensive network of ECHO dealers are available across the U.S. and Canada for product sales and service.

10. A Comprehensive Warranty - 5-Year Consumer, 1-Year Commercial Warranty comes standard on most ECHO products. This comprehensive warranty reflects the confidence that ECHO has in its products and our commitment to your total product satisfaction.

Emerich Sales & Service inc.

www.emerichsales.com

yungman
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
The Echo Tornada engine is very good, it is the 2 ring engine. The new SRM265 and 280 use a single ring Vortex engine. That has yet to prove itself.

There are so many other good brands like Redmax etc. I would let other try the new Echo first. Too bad they are discontinuing some products with Tornado engine. If anyone want to buy Echo, they should buy it now with the proven engine.

I have the HS151 hedge trimmer, I am not particular happy with it. I am planning to buy a longer hedge trimmer and most likely will be a Redmax or Maruyama.

Speaking of warrentee. Check out Maruyama. They offer 5 years commercial warrentee for some of the stuff. Their new engine is very powerful. The 30.2cc CER300 is 1.7hp, 2 rings with no cat converter.

jsaunders
03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Yep have Hondas- Have switched to Husky trimmers 324lx I believe- Has the honda 4 stroke motor and a solid shaft and better line head than the honda trimmer(honda trimmer is a cable shaft 'I hated it')

yungman
03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Yep have Hondas- Have switched to Husky trimmers 324lx I believe- Has the honda 4 stroke motor and a solid shaft and better line head than the honda trimmer(honda trimmer is a cable shaft 'I hated it')

I am kind of eyeing at the Husky 324 multi tool with the short reach hedge trimmer attachment because of the Honda engine. Do you have any experience with Husky hedge trimmer blades. As I mensioned, I bought an Echo HS151, the blade is not very good, I tried everything on it and just not very good. I have to find something better this time.

jsaunders
03-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Haven't used the husky hedge trimmer- I have all echo hedge trimmers- I have been very happy with the Husky(honda) trimmer.
Joel

yungman
03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Haven't used the husky hedge trimmer- I have all echo hedge trimmers- I have been very happy with the Husky(honda) trimmer.
Joel

I guess I like the big macho 31cc one!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Other people have good luck with Echo hedge trimmer, I don't understand mine is not very good. I did all the adjustment already, It improve but just not cutting that good. Still have to go through the same spot few times. Mine is very new, got it new and only have a few hours on it. It was never that good from day one, and the adjustment is absolute correct.

What don't you like about the cable drive of Honda? And you said the head of Husky is even better??!! I though I was in heaven when I use the Honda trimmer head comparing with the Troy Bilt. The Honda always start with one pull!!!

easycareacres
03-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Ran honda,s clutches go constant or spring comes off, takes lots of ones time in evening replacing for crews in morn. Have shindawhai's now, back to 2 stroke save the downtime.

Zooropa93
03-03-2008, 02:00 AM
They are same 14.7lb. The old 31cc is a OHV where the new GX35 is OHC. I bought the HHT31S just because I am old fashion, I buy the one that has long history. I was lucky I found a brand new HHT31S so I bought it right a way. It is so quiet, the wind noise of the head is as loud as the engine. Changing oil is very easy, a lot easier than lawn mower. Just remove the drain plug and drain into the bottle. It's a 2 minute job.

Also it is a lot healthier for the operator to run this because it is a 4 cycle, a lot cleaner and no oil burning.

the 35 is pretty nice but according to my sales literature it's heavier (i have a few pieces of old literature with the old 31 that we have not seen since early 06)

jsaunders
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
What don't you like about the cable drive of Honda? And you said the head of Husky is even better??!! I though I was in heaven when I use the Honda trimmer head comparing with the Troy Bilt. The Honda always start with one pull!!!

Well some how my honda cable shaft got bent- I was the only one to ever use it and was in the back of a pickup truck- NEVER dropped........ I believe it was bent the day I bought it. I have never ever had a problem with the shaft drives. The honda still works fine it just pisses me off so the guys get to now use it and I use the better Husky model.
Joel

Jason Rose
03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
So let me get this straight, a Husqvarna 324L actually has a HONDA 4 cycle engine on it? I've seen them at TSC and the Husqvarna dealer and knew that they were 4 cycle and pretty much poo-poo'ed them (figured they were junk). I use the 323L models and LOVE the Husqvarna trinner heads. Iv'e used a lot of different brands over the years and theirs is pretty much the easist to run, open, and load.

Most trimmer brands offer the soild shaft and flex shafts, each has it's purpose i guess, but I think the soild shaft is supposed to be the better animal, smoother operation and the best power transfer to the head. Of course with that comes a little more weight. I've never damaged/broken a flex shaft in a good commercial trimmer, the Ryobi trimmers, well that's a different story.

yungman
03-03-2008, 12:27 PM
So let me get this straight, a Husqvarna 324L actually has a HONDA 4 cycle engine on it? I've seen them at TSC and the Husqvarna dealer and knew that they were 4 cycle and pretty much poo-poo'ed them (figured they were junk). I use the 323L models and LOVE the Husqvarna trinner heads. Iv'e used a lot of different brands over the years and theirs is pretty much the easist to run, open, and load.

Most trimmer brands offer the soild shaft and flex shafts, each has it's purpose i guess, but I think the soild shaft is supposed to be the better animal, smoother operation and the best power transfer to the head. Of course with that comes a little more weight. I've never damaged/broken a flex shaft in a good commercial trimmer, the Ryobi trimmers, well that's a different story.

Absolutely!!! I actually wrote to Husqvarna to verify this. Reason I did get the Husky was because it only had the 25cc engine and I want bigger one. Honda's cable drive is life time warrentee.

To Jsaunders
It is lucky or unlucky that the Honda has cable drive!!!! Lucky that it don't matter if the shaft is bended. Unlucky that if they were rigid, you would have notice right a way and return them back when they were new.

Which model are yours? How long have you have them? You said your crew are using them now, How many hours you have on those trimmers?

Thanks

outrunjason
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
We have the honda here. It was way to heavy. No way.

Zooropa93
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM

You can put the husky T35 heads on the honda HHT25/31/35 trimmers with no problems. Nice trimmer but I can't stand the head we sell quite a few of the husky heads for them once the original is worn out.

jsaunders
03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Huskys have the smaller honda motor yet trimming for every week is perfect. The only time you notice the smaller engine is in real tall thick grass. The huskys just takes a couple of small swipes to cut everything down.
The bigger hondas are alittle heavy at first- but like everything by the end of the day you are used to the weight so it isn't a big deal.
I have 6+ years on my Honda trimmers, going on 3 with the Husky.

I have had one failure with the honda- BUT I got it used and then used it for 1 1/2 years till there was a motor failure. The senior tech had never seen a honda engine fail as this one had and get this HE STILL LOOKED INTO WARRANTING the motor. Didn't happen but was still nice. NO IDEA how many hours were on that trimmer or how it was maintained before me.

No other problems with the other trimmers- spark plugs every now and then (2yrs) and change the oil once a month.
Joel

yungman
03-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Huskys have the smaller honda motor yet trimming for every week is perfect. The only time you notice the smaller engine is in real tall thick grass. The huskys just takes a couple of small swipes to cut everything down.
The bigger hondas are alittle heavy at first- but like everything by the end of the day you are used to the weight so it isn't a big deal.
I have 6+ years on my Honda trimmers, going on 3 with the Husky.

I have had one failure with the honda- BUT I got it used and then used it for 1 1/2 years till there was a motor failure. The senior tech had never seen a honda engine fail as this one had and get this HE STILL LOOKED INTO WARRANTING the motor. Didn't happen but was still nice. NO IDEA how many hours were on that trimmer or how it was maintained before me.

No other problems with the other trimmers- spark plugs every now and then (2yrs) and change the oil once a month.
Joel

Six years for commercial is very good!!! I think they last longer than the best 2 cycles. I have been reading up the books on 2 cycle engines, there are a lot of limitations because oil is in the mix, anything go wrong can distroy the engine. Hybrid have the worst of it, they have the potential problem of deposit on valves and the disadvantage of oil in the gas.

My HHT31 go through thick weeds ( 2 to 3 feet tall, thick stems) like nothing!! I maintain my rental properties and renters don't up keep anything. That's why I am so hard on my trimmer.

Do you decarbon the valves? If so, how, spraying water into the carb??!! That is the worst thing about the hybrid 4 cycles, you have to decarbon the valves because of oil in the gas burn and leave deposit onto the valves, you cannot spray water into the carb because the mix go through the crankcase to lubricate the internal parts!!!

What so good about the Husqvarna trimmer heads?? I thought the Honda is very good, but I never try the others.

Zooropa93
03-04-2008, 02:33 AM
The Husky heads are easier to rewind than the Honda heads are, and because it has the divider to keep both lines separate it doesn't get all tangled up as easily as the single heads without the divider like honda uses (the old school universal products head)

yungman
03-04-2008, 02:49 AM
The Husky heads are easier to rewind than the Honda heads are, and because it has the divider to keep both lines separate it doesn't get all tangled up as easily as the single heads without the divider like honda uses (the old school universal products head)

Thanks. I do notice I have to put my finger in between the lines when I wind the string or else it will not work. When my head wear out, I will get the Husky head for it. Learning everyday.:drinkup::drinkup:

tomo
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
hello ,
I have both Honda trimmers
OHv 31 cc straight shaft, solid drive shaft 6year old
OHC 35cc straight shaft solid drive shaft 2year old

Both are used every day

A clutch and clutch drum and the solid shaft every year are replaced

The replacement of the parts is mainly due to running bump feed /semi auto heads . The shock load eventually wears parts

The hondas or the stihl equivilant are very close in weight

The only draw back is do not DONOT operate upside down ,on the side is ok
The older ohv unit dislikes upside down and oil does fume out the breather

tomo

jsaunders
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I have never had a valve problem- or had to decarbon....... gas/oil/trim line and GO!

yungman
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
hello ,
I have both Honda trimmers
OHv 31 cc straight shaft, solid drive shaft 6year old
OHC 35cc straight shaft solid drive shaft 2year old

Both are used every day

A clutch and clutch drum and the solid shaft every year are replaced

The replacement of the parts is mainly due to running bump feed /semi auto heads . The shock load eventually wears parts

The hondas or the stihl equivilant are very close in weight

The only draw back is do not DONOT operate upside down ,on the side is ok
The older ohv unit dislikes upside down and oil does fume out the breather

tomo

I thought Hondas are all cable drive!!! It was written in the catalog. Is the replacement under warrantee as stated in the catalog?
I am surprised the Hondas don't run upside down, I read up in the RCuniverse, they had discussions on this subject and they ran it upside down. In fact they fly planes upside down all the time. I don't run my trimmer upside down, the only thing I notice was the engine stutted a little when I turn it sideway right after I started it from cold and turn to the side right away. After 20 seconds, it seemed to be ok. I think the reason is Honda's design to whip the oil into mist, but it does take a little time to do that. Can you discribe your condition a little more so we can learn more about it?

lilweeds
03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
As long as you don't mind buying $90 carbs every year or two they're good machines. The jets in the carbs clog real easy, and then they don't run. Oh and it's impossible to clean out.

jsaunders
03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I have only replaced 1 carb on any of my equipment- It was on a echo blower(650) I have had no problems withany of the Honda/Husky carbs.

The Biggest problem I have had with all the trimers is the gas feed line cracks before the carb- this causes fuel starvation-kills engine.

Easy fix, just cut cracked line and replace.

yungman
03-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Carburator supposed to be Webro, anyone else have problem? Anyone have comment on inverted position? I check with RC universe on this and they claim it is ok because some of them mount the Honda engine inverted and they fly upside down all the time.

jsaunders
03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't see why you would EVER need to run them upside down- for edging run it on its side - that is what we do and do have any problems.
Joel

yungman
03-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't see why you would EVER need to run them upside down- for edging run it on its side - that is what we do and do have any problems.
Joel

You mean you don't have problem?

jsaunders
03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
You mean you don't have problem?
Yes my bad- We don't have any problems- except for the fuel line cracking which happens on every small piece of equipment.
Joel

yungman
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes my bad- We don't have any problems- except for the fuel line cracking which happens on every small piece of equipment.
Joel

Thanks for clarification.

Happy Frog
03-07-2008, 08:05 PM
And I thought Yungman was the only one to use this thing... :laugh:

yungman
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
And I thought Yungman was the only one to use this thing... :laugh:

I didn't see this one!!!! Of course, there are other people that have good taste.......like me:laughing::laughing::laughing:

GO HONDAAAAA....!!...????....Anyone there!!??.....:cry:

This is a macho trimmer!!!! It require people to do weight lifting first:weightlifter::weightlifter:!!!

One question, You use split boom multi tool, Do you have to be careful not to get dirt into the open end when you change attachment? That is one thing that worrys me might cause problem with interchangable tools.

Looks like people are buying the new Echos now. I saw the new stuff in the dealer yesterday, looks good.

nograss
03-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Kawasaki makes a great weedeater at 9.5 lbs and all the muscle you need for commercial. The Shindiawa 260 will do for 90% of heavy stuff.

Happy Frog
03-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I didn't see this one!!!! Of course, there are other people that have good taste.......like me:laughing::laughing::laughing:

GO HONDAAAAA....!!...????....Anyone there!!??.....:cry:

This is a macho trimmer!!!! It require people to do weight lifting first:weightlifter::weightlifter:!!!

One question, You use split boom multi tool, Do you have to be careful not to get dirt into the open end when you change attachment? That is one thing that worrys me might cause problem with interchangable tools.

Looks like people are buying the new Echos now. I saw the new stuff in the dealer yesterday, looks good.

I keep a cap on the unused attachments and I am careful when I change them. Also, the flex shaft can (and should) be clean and greased easily.