PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Extended Levers

Ford850
03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Narrowing down my choices of options on a new GH, I plan to add the extended levers and suspension seat. Someone posted on this site a few months back that the extended levers made the levers stay open 4". He said there was a 4" gap between the levers and he could not operate with one hand due to this. My dealer dioesn't think the extended levers affect the gap between them. Can anyone else chime in on this for me?
Thank you.

Jason Rose
03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I can give you a definate YES, there is a gap between the levers. I bought them with mine was very dissapointed... However with my being 6'4" and using the suspension seat I can NOT use the standard handles, I tried...

The gap between the ends of the handles is 3.25" on mine, just ran out and measured.

Even if they were close enough to operate with one hand, you would only be able to run straight, or do slight curves with them. Because they are longer you have to physically move them forward and back further than you would with the standard length handles, making one handed operation very difficult.

Oh yeah, and my dealer told me the same thing, that there was no difference in the gap with them... And this guy has sold G-Hopper for YEARS. Shows you what dealers know!

Ford850
03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I think it was your original post I was thinking of regarding the gap. There's no adjustment to them?

Jason Rose
03-02-2008, 02:48 PM
No, other than maybe peeling off the foam and adding a bit of tubing onto the ends of each lever. Yes, I've thought of doing that... Wouldn't be that hard if you or someone you know can weld well enough. Then go to the dealer and pick up a new set of foam grips. They get tore up all the time anyway.

fastcutter
03-03-2008, 01:41 AM
You go Grasshopper you will never go back to the old stuff...

Ford850
03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Jason,
Are the levers thin enough to bend using a conduit bender? It wouldn't take much of a tweak on the lower bend to push them together at the top.
Also, I've seen them listed as "Extended Levers" and "Big Boy Levers". I wonder if they used to be merely 2" taller and now maybe they keep them spread open for larger users? Just speculation.

Jason Rose
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they aren't any wider between the levers than the standard ones. My only thought as to why the gap is there is that they use the same pre-cut stock as the shorter levers, but just bent them at a little higher place on the tubing, resulting in more height, but less horizontal length.

Yes, you might be able to take off the padding and use a tubing bender and add some bend to the bottom and then un-bend the top curve a little to keep the handles on the same horizontal plane. -- . I think that maybe just adding 1 to 1.5 inches to the end of each handle would be the easier thing to do. Either way you are going to have to replace the padding on the handle...

Ford850
05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
As a followup to my original post...
I did purchase a 722D, with the suspension seat and extended levers. The levers had a 3" gap between them but that was easily fixed. I "tweaked" them while sitting in the seat and closing them with a little added force after they stopped. They now have a 1/2" gap and work fine.