PDA

View Full Version : Is It Illegal

tken
03-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey guy`s my question is I`m starting my own business and I named it ForrestDowns property management. Can I use the name even if it`s the name of a golf corse? thanks.

LushGreenLawn
03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
You would not be able to use it if its the exact same name, however, if it was different, i.e. Forrest Downs Lawncare instead of Forrest Downs Property Management you would be O.K.

Lawn-Sharks
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
If ForrestDowns property management is their ficticious name then you can use it and they cant say anything.
Because No one can own the rites to a ficticious name that why you can see the same name somewhere else (it runs ramped here in FLA)but they can give you crap for the name if your Inc or LLC name is the same as their Inc. or LLC name thats why you would have to change it a little bit.. I dont know how things are done where you are but here in florida their is a web site called SunBiz.org and we can do it all from our computer. i.e Incorporate our business & file for ficticious names. I would check into it you mite have somthing like that where you live??? if not go to ours they mite be able to answer some of your questions!

tken
03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks LushGreen and Lawn-Sharks. The name ForrestDowns is a golf course in scotland I think. THANKS ALOT guys.

topsites
03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks LushGreen and Lawn-Sharks. The name ForrestDowns is a golf course in scotland I think. THANKS ALOT guys.

I wouldn't worry about it so long they're not in your neck of the woods or a Big / (inter)national corporation...
I think you'll be fine here, I'm thinking co's along the lines of names EVERYBODY knows, like don't do Microsoft Inc.

Other than that names repeat themselves from state to state, even county to county, as a general rule it's no big deal.