PDA

View Full Version : You guys from Florida make me sick!!

deereman
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Our family just got back from Florida for a vacation, and one that was much needed. Stayed down there the whole week (Orlando) and two in Jacksonville. It looked like the spring clean up was under way in Jax, but Orlando seemed to be a little ahead than those in Jax. with pretty much full blown lawn care going. The weather you guys got there in Orlando is way to awesome! We did not even want to go home. We did (tried) to do all the stuff in Orlando but just not enough time. I was all excited when I seen all the mowers running, my wife would look at me and roll her eyes ever time I would see a lawncare company working cause I almost wanted to stop and watch them. Then we come home and all of our mowers are sitting in the shed all covered up, with not even a hint of spring in the air. It is kind of depressing. Well I just had to make a comment to you Florida guys and or southern guys too!

okeefl
03-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Come on down in August when the humidity is 100%.

bblawncare
03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Winters are the best here, but trust me, June thru October is no picnic. The humidity is smothering, threat of thunderstorms almost every afternoon can mess up my schedule daily, grass growing up to my eyeballs faster than I can cut it (with customers begging "please cut it shorter so it won't grow so fast"). It's enough to make me :cry: just thinking about it. With that said, I am proud to say this will be my 18th summer of doing this crazy work-can't think of anything else I'd rather do. While it's tough for 6 months, it's a pleasure for 6 months.:)

mowerbrad
03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Last year my family went on a cruise in the carribean for a week, we flew into Miami which had fabulous weather. It was 80 the whole week on the cruise. Then we flew back home to Michigan expecting it to be about 50 but instead came home to an April ice storm. Only thing I thought about then was how much I wished I was mowing in Florida.

deereman
03-02-2008, 05:23 PM
When we landed at the airport I could feel the humidity when we stepped outside. It was like 78 and the sun was NOT out. But we got used to it and it never bothered us the whole stay. But I could not take it if it was like 90 or so out. My hats off to yous!

QualityLawnCare4u
03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
When we landed at the airport I could feel the humidity when we stepped outside. It was like 78 and the sun was NOT out. But we got used to it and it never bothered us the whole stay. But I could not take it if it was like 90 or so out. My hats off to yous!

Yeah, its nice now but come on down here when its 104 degrees with 90% humidity:cry:It is so miserable you can't breath. I have had to knock off many days by 10 AM it would be so unberable. Right now it is warm enough to go outside with shorts and no shirt on. I feel the same way about you guys up north when it gets down to the low 20's here, how the heck do you stand it!?

greengiant9963
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I have lived in Florida a few years back. The weather is great in the winter but forget about the summer. It is a complete different kind of heat than you get up North. In July and August the sun will roast you. I give the guys in the deep south alot of credit. It can't be easy some days.

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
done with my Contracted spring clean-ups too. Just killing time until march 25th, when my season starts here

freshprince94
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Winters are the best here, but trust me, June thru October is no picnic. The humidity is smothering, threat of thunderstorms almost every afternoon can mess up my schedule daily, grass growing up to my eyeballs faster than I can cut it (with customers begging "please cut it shorter so it won't grow so fast"). It's enough to make me :cry: just thinking about it. With that said, I am proud to say this will be my 18th summer of doing this crazy work-can't think of anything else I'd rather do. While it's tough for 6 months, it's a pleasure for 6 months.:)

this post pretty much sums up florida mowing. y'all have an "off-season" in the winter months. during that time, us floridians are still mowing bi-weekly.

i enjoy mowing in florida and wouldn't want to mow anywhere else. it just takes getting used to (i was born and raised here and can mow in 90+ temps easily).

freshcut419
03-02-2008, 07:11 PM
trust me south florida is NOT the place to be cuttung grass. I lived in Cape Coral for three years. I just moved back to south michigan . I,m so gald to be out of tha crazy state..

coonman
03-02-2008, 08:19 PM
You guys are making the Florida summers sound way too bad. I have been to Florida several times in the in the summer and late spring. Your summers are no different than ours in Oklahoma or probably several other states. We have high humidity here also, we routinely have a heat index from 95-105 June-September. The main difference is that we have those wonderful 10 degree wind chill days in the winter which I hate. I would love to have the year round Florida weather. Thats why I am planning on moving to Sarasota in a few years. :walking:

tamadrummer
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
this post pretty much sums up florida mowing. y'all have an "off-season" in the winter months. during that time, us floridians are still mowing bi-weekly.

i enjoy mowing in florida and wouldn't want to mow anywhere else. it just takes getting used to (i was born and raised here and can mow in 90+ temps easily).

Amen and amen!!

It is miserable to have to go out and mow when it is 40 out and blowing.

There have been some chilly days this winter....

GrassmasterB
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Amen and amen!!

It is miserable to have to go out and mow when it is 40 out and blowing.

There have been some chilly days this winter....

i agree, i had to wear long sleeves with my shorts exactly 4 times this winter.

deereman
03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
So does that mean that you guys in southern, central Fla. mowing every week or are you still skipping?

Sweet Tater
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
i agree, i had to wear long sleeves with my shorts exactly 4 times this winter.

ROFL been there done that, I lived in Jacksonville for 40 years.
You know its cold when you have to wear a full wetsuit instead of a shortie to go surfing in December.

tamadrummer
03-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Bi-weekly till April and then weekly through Oct 31st.

This year actually was weekly till almost December though because the rain didnt stop nor did the heat.

brucec32
03-03-2008, 02:37 AM
They'll be cursing you when it's summer-hot and super humid out for the 7th or 8th straight month. I've lived in S. Florida and Jacksonville and you get sick of the heat/humidity. This January/early Feb while in Jax it was upper 80's one day. and pushing 90 in Orlando so we canceled swinging down to Orlando for a couple of days.

Now Georgia, that's more like it. Just enough summer and just enough winter.

lawnman_scott
03-03-2008, 07:06 AM
You guys are making the Florida summers sound way too bad. I have been to Florida several times in the in the summer and late spring. Your summers are no different than ours in Oklahoma or probably several other states. We have high humidity here also, we routinely have a heat index from 95-105 June-September. The main difference is that we have those wonderful 10 degree wind chill days in the winter which I hate. I would love to have the year round Florida weather. Thats why I am planning on moving to Sarasota in a few years. :walking:It isnt that bad. Its funny how some people will consider a hot day the end of the world. At least ins not -35 + a wind chill.

Richard Martin
03-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Now Georgia, that's more like it. Just enough summer and just enough winter.

Nah, Atlanta's too far from the ocean. East Carolina is the place to be. You get a little bit of everything. An hour to the ocean, a couple of hours to the mountains, winter weather, summer weather.

rodfather
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I feel the same way about you guys up north when it gets down to the low 20's here, how the heck do you stand it!?

easy danny...we just add another layer of clothing. i feel sorry for you guys in the south. you can only strip down so far. :laugh:

Carolina Cuts
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I think that's why I like cuttin' in coastal Carolina. Hot/humid summer, but being on the coast cools it a bit. Most are bi-weekly residentials until centipede goes dormant, then the higher-end commercial accounts want the annual rye that grows like a weed.... weekly commercial cuts all winter. 40's-50's. NO LEAF Cleanups on the coast!!! But rather Pine straw, which can get thrown right back into the flower beds and around shrubs.

DLCS
03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I love the heat and humidity but our worst is for only 2.5 months. The freakin cold in the winter is whats unbearable. We had a heat wave here over the weekend, temps made it in the 50's. But right now they are in the low 30's and falling rapidly. LOL

chuck bow
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I myself would rather suffer in the Florida summer heat than in the Northern states cold cold dang winters I hate wind chills at -30 with all that strange white tuff on the ground . Friends called us the other day from Orlando and were driving around with air on and it was 87 when it was only 29 up here in Indiana Now that sux

naturescape
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I want the best of both. I plan on staying here in Michigan from april to november mowing, then go down to Florida for 1 - 4 months every winter for a vacation. I hope to be there a minimum of one month next winter, probably February. Fort Lauderdale area.

When I retire, it will be to Fort Laud., but I plan on being back home every day by 11am. If I am at the beach or shopping, it will be from 7 - 11 am, or after the sun has gone down.

Lazer_Z
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
easy danny...we just add another layer of clothing. i feel sorry for you guys in the south. you can only strip down so far. :laugh: :laugh::laugh: So, so true. You guys down south are sissy's when it comes to the cold. If you think 40* is cold then some of you should have been up here just a few weeks ago it was in the TEENS with the wind chill, that's cold! Right now as I'm typing this I'd guess it's in the upper 50's maybe pushing 60*. If the grass were growing I'd be cutting and not sittin on my @$$ typing on here. I think I'd be down to around 100lbs if I were to work in FL during the summer for just one day :D .