PDA

View Full Version : best ZTR for northern grass

zim bob the landscaper
03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
what is the best ZTR with good cut and a good value for northern grass. i was thinking Scag, Badboy, Dixiechopper, and toro. what others are good for up here in the north that i can look at?

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
In no particular order

Exmark UltraCut
John Deere 7 Iron II
Gravely X-Factor
Cub Cadet Commercial
Toro Turbo force

I cut nothing but northern grass. 70 residentials a week. Out of the ones you listed the ONLY one I would even consider would be the Toro. I have watched 2 different dixie choppers in action and they were horrible. Streaks standing up on every strip and clumps of grass falling out of the deck all over the yard. As a matter of fact the one crew watched me cut next door for a half a season with no problems what so ever and they went and got a new Cub Commercial Tank M60 and got rid of the Dixie chopper.

BadBoys cut quality to me is still questionable. It hasnt proven itself yet. Our Scag cuts like crap and the newer ones may cut a little better but I see scags being used all over this area with the advantage deck and velosity deck and honestly im not impressed. Its not terrible but just not a real clean sharp looking cut.

zim bob the landscaper
03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
alright thanks ill look at all those mowers maybe this week.

tb8100
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
BadBoys cut quality to me is still questionable. It hasnt proven itself yet.

Have you demoed one yet? It can't prove itself for you. You have to mow with it first! :waving:

DeereHauler
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
what mowers do they sell where you live? i wouldn't buy a machine if a dealer was 100 miles away, unless you're gonna stock parts in case of a breakdown, buy a mower with local parts and service.

is there really that much difference between cool season and warm season grasses when it comes to mowers? i don't recall mine being advertised for "northern cuts only"

but if it does make a difference my john deeres with 7-iron decks cut excellent here.

jsaunders
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
ZIM - your 15 mins from me- I live on the other side of ashby

Ferris- Deere- Hustler-Exmark
Exmark dealer in Mason NH off RT31--- NO TAX

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Have you demoed one yet? It can't prove itself for you. You have to mow with it first! :waving:

I will gladly do that if they decide to get a dealer closer than 3 hours from me.

DeereHauler
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I will gladly do that if they decide to get a dealer closer than 3 hours from me.

that was my point. if the machine breaks 3 hours is a long way for parts! there are lots of machines on the market i would like to try, but is just not reasonable.

zim bob the landscaper
03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
ZIM - your 15 mins from me- I live on the other side of ashby

Ferris- Deere- Hustler-Exmark
Exmark dealer in Mason NH off RT31--- NO TAX

yes i have all of those and more i was actually thinking going into new hampshire i also have gravely, toro, john deere, husq., kabouta, walker, scag, wright stander, bob cat, snapper, cub tank i have lots near me but my brother wants to get something under 10 grand. also u should go to the dealer to get a finance plan right? so what mowers would be under 10 grand with a 56" and up deck?

jsaunders
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Was quoted at Mason NH shop of $8500 for lazer z with kaw 28hp 60" ultracut deck

Exmark has killer financing right now as well 1.9% for 36 months with no payment for 6 months payup

DeereHauler
03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
yes i have all of those and more i was actually thinking going into new hampshire i also have gravely, toro, john deere, husq., kabouta, walker, scag, wright stander, bob cat, snapper, cub tank i have lots near me but my brother wants to get something under 10 grand. also u should go to the dealer to get a finance plan right? so what mowers would be under 10 grand with a 56" and up deck?

you get financing where you get the best rate, bank or dealer. if you can pay it off in a year some dealers offer 0% for a year. i don't know where you've been looking but 10G for a 54" is high priced. my ztr with a 60" MOD deck was $8,500 and my 60" stander was $5500

look all around, get all the prices, all the rates, etc. my biggest mistake was taking the first deal on my first new zero turn when i went on my own, i have done things much differently in the last few years.

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Well right now Exmark, Gravely and hustler all have 0 payments and 0 intrest for 6 months then after that 1.9% fixed rate.

Cub Cadet has 0% financing on there commercial mowers

Just visit each manufacturers webiste and you can find the current promotions.

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
you get financing where you get the best rate, bank or dealer. if you can pay it off in a year some dealers offer 0% for a year. i don't know where you've been looking but 10G for a 54" is high priced. my ztr with a 60" MOD deck was $8,500 and my 60" stander was $5500

look all around, get all the prices, all the rates, etc. my biggest mistake was taking the first deal on my first new zero turn when i went on my own, i have done things much differently in the last few years.

How do you like that 7 iron II MOD deck? I see your in central pa. I used to drive to pa all the time to visit my ex fiance at millersville university then to the poconos when she was home and also quakertown before her family moved to the poconos. What part of pa are you in?

gene gls
03-02-2008, 09:53 PM
EverRide Worrior 27/60" is the best mower that I have used.

DeereHauler
03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
How do you like that 7 iron II MOD deck? I see your in central pa. I used to drive to pa all the time to visit my ex fiance at millersville university then to the poconos when she was home and also quakertown before her family moved to the poconos. What part of pa are you in?

i like it a lot. i don't mulch grass full time. i mainly use it to protect cars, mulch, and people from grass and debris. its a very nice system. the new mod decks have half the moving parts of my model, and the mowers have some great options, and i'm waiting to demo one.

i live near Lewisburg. south of Williamsport, but north of Harrisburg. poconos ar a beautiful area, and lots of cash there to go around. if you have any more questions about the mod let me know.

retrodog
03-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Bad Boy is going to give you a heck of a lot more machine for your money. Their new financing starts next week. 0% for 2years, 2.9 for 3, and 6.9 for 5

Zooropa93
03-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Well right now Exmark, Gravely and hustler all have 0 payments and 0 intrest for 6 months then after that 1.9% fixed rate.

Cub Cadet has 0% financing on there commercial mowers

Just visit each manufacturers webiste and you can find the current promotions.

The problem with Hustler is that you will likely pay more in the price, or an acquisition fee from the dealer. They do not subsidize the cost of the financing plans as much as most other brands do. If you go to a dealer than handles two brands that both use the same financing compalny (ie GE) I can almost guarantee your cost will be higher with hustler than other brands that also use GE because the dealer cost of those financing programs is higher. They fail to mention that they charge the dealer anywhere formn 1.5-
6% for those programs

supermoon
05-19-2008, 12:01 AM

I own one and the cut quality is great. I have heard alot of naysayers on this site, but the cut is great! :usflag:

supermoon
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I own one and the cut quality is great. I have heard alot of naysayers on this site, but the cut is great! :usflag:

Here is a picture I took cut just after a rain storm (wet grass) mowed at full speed 3 1/4". Notice the dandelions are gone!!!