PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a proslide with a hydro w/b

Smitty58
03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm picking up a Exmark hydro tommorrow. I like the looks of the proslide but have never used one so I'm looking for some thoughts on these. It seems like a better setup than a sulky. So lets hear it.

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm picking up a Exmark hydro tommorrow. I like the looks of the proslide but have never used one so I'm looking for some thoughts on these. It seems like a better setup than a sulky. So lets hear it.

I havent myself but many people love them. The only down side is you have to step off when you reach pavement. Also you have to replace the wear plate when it wears out but I have no experiance with it so I cant say how often they need replaced. I have read many many times about the spring lift that lifts it when you step off wearing out or breaking.

DuttonLandscape
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
my crew and I have used the proslide for 3 years now. I would highly recommend it. Pros-gives great stripes, easy on body, retractable is great-no sulky or velky in the way on trailer or getting off for obstacles Neg- you can't put anything up against it on the trailer, the walk behind would have to be last on the trailer. This past year I had an employee who didn't give a ****, and was having problems with the actuator spring and the stop bar spring-I believe from not slowly stepping off the proslide when getting off. Up until this , I never had a problem. Read the instructions and teach your guys. In my area I was the only company using the proslide always got lots of looks!

Smitty58
03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Can you step off it and continue mowing while walking? The video looks like it doesn't tuck up against the body of the mower that close ,so I'm wondering if you can leave it on and still mow. Also what do they cost ,and how about the 2 different models?

DuttonLandscape
03-02-2008, 11:06 PM
you can still walk and cut grass with the proslide retracted-forgot to say as one of the pros. When I bought mine $350-$400 they only had the retractable, now they offer the other kind $200, but it doesn't retract. I thought about it, but it would just be like a velky and you would have to hook it to a chain and hang from mower when transporting or remove. Now that I think about it, less parts to break, cost half the price, you still get the beautiful stripe. I might just get one.

Smitty58
03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
So the cheaper one just drops down and doesn't spring back up when you step off? If all it does is lay on the grass I think I could build that for a lot less than $200.

mowinginva
03-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Definitely a better setup. We run a John Deere 48" wb w/ a proslide xt. The slide retracts automatically. It is a very smooth ride, where as wheeled sulkys, I think, would be quite bumpy. Doesn't gouge the ground, unless the ground is muddy, then it sometimes will, but that's a minor problem that we can deal with - don't think I would even call it a problem.

touhey33
03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I've got the goside which you can get for 159.95 on their website. It doesn't automatically retract, however you can back up on it. I havn't used it too much, just tested it out when the snow finally melted, but its a very smooth ride and it folds up really well, unlike 1 or 2 wheel sulkys.

jhsmith4
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I installed a Proslide on our Trimstar 48", 17 hp Kaw. I was impressed! I'm 220lbs and it pull me around pretty easy! Worth the money!

Roger
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
What size Exmark are you buying? I have an Exmark Viking, 36" hydro driven machine. The ProSlide did not work on this mower. It is too light, and has too small of footprint, to handle the demands of the ProSlide. The PS unit "drove" the mower, not the other way around.

dave79
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I had a Proslide on a Scag hydro before I sold my Scag. I loved it, you just step off and it retracts out of your way. You can walk with it mounted on the mower, but I would sometimes bang my shins on it. I would just bungee cord it close to the rear of the mower frame if I was going to walk for a good length of time. I had a 2 wheel velke and jungle wheels before the Proslide, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Proslide if I bought a w/b again. One tip, don't try to ride it downhill and stop suddenly if you value your ankles.

Smitty58
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Roger - I have the 15hp 36". Why would the weight of the mower matter? If it basically rides on the ground I don't know why it wouldn't work ,but I've never used one. The goslide sounds like the one for me.
Anyone have any pics of a goslide on their mower?

touhey33
03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Here is a thread of mine that has pics of the goslide on my Ferris hydro.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217629

Roger
03-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Smitty58 -- The mower doesn't have the necessary traction to control the direction. The drive wheels slip a bit differently, which makes the direction of travel irregular. Also, having a smaller distance between the drive wheels means less of a rotational stability about a vertical axis -- wider footprint means more leverage to control the machine.

The 15hp is enough to do the pulling, so power wasn't the issue.

Also, remember the ProSlide unit is fastened directly to the machine. This arrangement means the PS and mower move as a unit (unlike a trailer sulky that as a rotational degree of freedom at the pivot point). Working as a unit does not permit the operator to have any leverage on the handles. Any force to the side to try to make minor directional changes are countproductive -- you are only pushing against yourself. This is not the case when walking, or pulling a trailer-mode sulky. Trying to "feather" the hydros to keep the mower traveling in the proper direction is difficult. In the end, it is much easier to walk than to try to constantly keep working the hydros for straight passes.

I sold the PS, and bought a BullRider. My BR is convertible, able to work in either a caster-mode, or a trailer-mode. I was hoping to use it in caster-mode, but the same problem existed as with the PS. The sulky had far too much control over the machine. I changed to trailer-mode, and have used it for many years successfully. The true zero-turn functionality is lost, but with some practice, turning at the ends can be achieved quite easily. Here is a pic:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=197197

See post #8.

Drivefaster35
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
i bought one last year for a john deere walk behind and only problem i had was the springs broke 2 times, the gas shocks broke 3 times, and i did bust a couple sprinkler head while turning over them, they clipped the topps and busted um right off. However, don't get me wrong it does a great job and loved it when it wasen't busted not to mention the stripes were awsome! The choice is yours.