PDA

View Full Version : Souther competition!!!

Turf Commando
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Contacted an old relative in Ensley, Alabama....
Told him, I'd like to move south, and start up a mowing business..
He laughed, stating the mowing competiton is thicker than Kentucky bluegrass
every truck hauls a trailer, with at least 4 mowers is this true...?

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 06:55 PM
he's right So, true when I started 8 years ago there were only a handful, now everyone in their brother is trying, most fail, lose some bids from time to time to the "lowballers". I would not be wanting to get into a market today. Born & raised in Flint. MI

topsites
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Contacted an old relative in Ensley, Alabama....
Told him, I'd like to move south, and start up a mowing business..
He laughed, stating the mowing competion is thicker than Kentucky bluegrass
every truck hauls a trailer, with at least 4 mowers is this true...?

No it isn't, first Kentucky bluegrass isn't that thick at all in comparison and most actually hire mexicans to drive the trucks each with at least 4 mowers, that way it's cheaper.

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 07:00 PM
H2B bill has not been renewed, so work visa Mexicans are leaving Memphis. Those companies must actually have proof they are trying to hire american works, before they can reapply for the H2B work program labor help.

Turf Commando
03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
so work visa Mexicans are leaving Memphis.

If this is true, where are they going then...? back to Mexico..? don't we wish...

nosparkplugs
03-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I get folks wanting jobs everywhere I stop, getting tired of it, although it keeps my guys incheck

tacoma200
03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
They are thick here and this is a very rural area. The largest LCO in the county told me they lost XXXX thousands of dollars last year due to competition and the drought. Every body and his brother has a trailer and crapsman, low balling big time.

PearceLawn
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
About 4 years ago I moved to Pelham which is a little south of Birmingham. I have some in-laws there and decided I wanted to do the year round lawn work there. HAH!!

Most of the folks I talked to about work would not hire a northerner and my prices were way higher than the guys that picked up their day labor at the corner gas station every day. After much pain blues and agony we packed it up and moved back here.

I have never been so happy to see a snowflake as I was that year!!

Turf Commando
03-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Most of the folks I talked to about work would not hire a northerner
Excuse my ignorance are you saying, they disliked you because your from the north...like how you talk or conduct yourself or worse like Yankee...?
Is this whole North vs South beef still going on...?

jsaunders
03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
N vs S beef - yes

Sweet Tater
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
QUOTE=Turf Commando;2185715]Excuse my ignorance are you saying, they disliked you because your from the north...like how you talk or conduct yourself or worse like Yankee...?
Is this whole North vs South beef still going on...?[/QUOTE]

yup sure nuff :hammerhead:

Turf Commando
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I better keep my Yankee a$$ up here then....:laugh:

PearceLawn
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Excuse my ignorance are you saying, they disliked you because your from the north...like how you talk or conduct yourself or worse like Yankee...?

Remember down there I have the accent. Doesn't matter what I said or did. Most everyone I met thought if you were from New York that you were from New York City. I have never been there and live 400 miles away. 90% of those I interacted with were shocked.

I took a job driving for Domino's before I had any accounts to work with. The manager refused to speak directly to me. He always had someone else tell me whatever he needed to say. Luckily the hiring got done by the Asst. Mgr. or I wouldn't have even been there.

My wife worked at Appleby's and she had some folks who asked the manager to have someone else wait on them. I have no issues with the folks from the south, didn't then and still don't. As I said my family is there.

Yes I believe it is still going on there. I think you run into it less in a metropolitan area like the city of Birmingham but in the more rural places it is there. The town I lived in was rural for the most part.

Just the way it is I guess. I won't make the mistake of moving there again but we are down there almost every Thanksgiving and I love to visit so that won't stop for a while.

TScapes
03-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Yes there is a somewhat underlying attitude and stereotyping of "Yankees" down here in the South. A lot of "True Southerners" have resentment towards ya'll simply b/c a lot of people from north of the Mason Dixon Line are moving here. We call them "Half-Backers". It used to be "Snow Birds" were going to Florida for the winters. Now they are still going down, but a lot of them are going half way back and ending up in North Georgia, TN,and NC.

larryinalabama
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Im originoally from Southern California,, They call me a West Coast Yankee. never had any trouble finding work and its all be fun.

The illegals have taken over the landscape business here, thats why Im starting part time.

TScapes
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM
If you weren't born in the South (GA,TN,NC,SC,AK,MS,LA,AL or TX) you are a "Yankee". And see southerners don't consider Florida to be truly southern b/c of all the Yankee Transplants and the Hispanics! With maybe the exemption of northern florida, which is basically Georgia.

tacoma200
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM

Yes the North vs South thing still goes on. But having traveled all over the country I can say there are good people from the North and South. I actually never met a person I didn't like even in N.Y. City. There are good and bad everywhere. I think we stereotype others from places we are not familiar with or are different from us.

I was raised in the rural South and thought everything above the Ohio River was bad. But after I was older and traveled I found out there is good everywhere.

DLCS
03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
There is good and bad everywhere. I love the south, most of my family lives in the southern states. I've never been looked at any different because of my northern accent. Funny thing is though when I tell people that I'm from Illinois they automatically think I live in Chicago. LOL

millenium_123
03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I agree with you tacoma. There are good and bad people everywhere, but we in the south have this "southern pride" and you just don't mess with us.

lawnman_scott
03-04-2008, 02:44 AM
If you weren't born in the South (GA,TN,NC,SC,AK,MS,LA,AL or TX) you are a "Yankee". And see southerners don't consider Florida to be truly southern b/c of all the Yankee Transplants and the Hispanics! With maybe the exemption of northern florida, which is basically Georgia.What a post. I am in FL, and I have talked about how backwards some things are here and I get comments from guys who say what you just did, then say I probably think all southerners are stupid. Kind of funny because they just said the people I am thinking of arent even real southerners.

Now, north FL/south GA............. What a beautiful place that is. Never seen as much run down crap ever as driving through there.

And to whoever asked, yes, the civil war is still being fought, actually if I am not mistaken the Confederacy has a standing constitution in the minds of some.

lawnman_scott
03-04-2008, 02:48 AM
About 4 years ago I moved to Pelham which is a little south of Birmingham. I have some in-laws there and decided I wanted to do the year round lawn work there. HAH!!

Most of the folks I talked to about work would not hire a northerner and my prices were way higher than the guys that picked up their day labor at the corner gas station every day. After much pain blues and agony we packed it up and moved back here.

I have never been so happy to see a snowflake as I was that year!!The problem is people cant differenciate between NY City, and NY State. I am from WI but live in FL and I cant stand the people from the city.

Sammy
03-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Them Rebs acting up again ?

TScapes
03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
What a post. I am in FL, and I have talked about how backwards some things are here and I get comments from guys who say what you just did, then say I probably think all southerners are stupid. Kind of funny because they just said the people I am thinking of arent even real southerners.

Now, north FL/south GA............. What a beautiful place that is. Never seen as much run down crap ever as driving through there.

And to whoever asked, yes, the civil war is still being fought, actually if I am not mistaken the Confederacy has a standing constitution in the minds of some.

First of all, Lawnman...... I simply stated how people here in the South think. I am a "Transplant" originally from Iowa, but I did go to schools (rural and private) in Middle Tennessee. I used to hear this crap from kids in middle school and high school, even when I developed a "Southern Draw".

As for your BACKWARDS comment.... you can apply that anywhere in the US. I have been through some areas in Vermont, New York (outside of Albany), several places in the midwest, and I don't really see much difference than Starkville,MS or Jacksonville or rural Alabama. The people up North are really nice, just as they are here in the South. However, you can find ingnorance anywhere.

delphied
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
he's right So, true when I started 8 years ago there were only a handful, now everyone in their brother is trying, most fail, lose some bids from time to time to the "lowballers". I would not be wanting to get into a market today. Born & raised in Flint. MI

We must have been at the same plant in Flint?