PDA

View Full Version : Big walk behind or ztr rider?

TMGL&L
03-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm looking at exmark walk behinds and zero turn riders and I need to make a choice soon... besides prices, what are the advantages of a rider zero turn and a walk behind?

I hear walk behinds are better on hills while the riders are quicker on turns.

Do the stand on contraptions on the back of the walk behinds mess up the striping effects?

I'm just looking for some general pros and cons of both kinds of mowers.

Thanks

Turf Commando
03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I hear walk behinds are better on hills while the riders are quicker on turns.

There's no way a ztr turns faster then a wb. When you use a ztr you really should do a 3 point turn, so you don't tear turf..

Walk-behinds have limitations as far as deck sizes, I'd go with a ztr when I have major area to cover vs standing for hrs upon hrs ...
How large is the properties..?

RGM
03-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I started with the walk behind a 48'' snapper made some money paid it off that same year and bought a ztr in the off season the before the next year at a great price too

TMGL&L
03-02-2008, 11:58 PM
The properties I'm working on are all different sizes. I do small properties with obstacles, and 3-4 acre flat lots as well.

RGM
03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
How much else you trying to put with a new mower on that 5x10 trailer

merrimacmill
03-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm in the same boat. Right now, since we only mow our own lawns we just have a couple light duty mowers. But since this year we're getting into the biz, I'm looking at starting off with one commercial mower.

I don't know wether to go with a ZTR within the 36" to 42" range, or a walk behind in that same range. I could swing the price difference, but I just don't know what is generally better to start with. Since our "crew" will be one man to start off with, efficiency is a big concern. I was looking at the bobcat's or exmarks.

The exmark dealer is pretty reputable around here, and so is the bobcat dealer. The bobcat dealer is one of those small, family owned and operated since some time real long ago types of places. So I always like to support those places since they are good people. Unless theres some major difference between the two mowers, I'm likely to end up with a bobcat for this reason.

Not to highjack the thread, but any opinions on this as well?

Turf Commando
03-03-2008, 12:09 AM
The properties I'm working on are all different sizes. I do small properties with obstacles, and 3-4 acre flat lots as well.

I can see the problem you may have with a walk-behind doing 3 to 4 acre, lawns not so much smaller ...
Obstacles, Is definitely Walk-behind territory, ztr were not intended for small lots!
You need to figure out for yourself which, mower will suit your accounts and be productive..

Turf Commando
03-03-2008, 12:11 AM
How much else you trying to put with a new mower on that 5x10 trailer
Seriously, I was thinking the same thing.
UPGRADE TRAILER TIME....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMGL&L
03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
21" walk behind, blower, and trimmer.

I'm not worrying about the trailer size I can buy a new one and sell this one...
But I save that conv for the trucks and trailer forum.

merrimacmill
03-03-2008, 12:17 AM
You need to figure out for yourself which, mower will suit your accounts and be productive..

Is there a general rule of thumb in choosing a mower when you don't have any accounts yet? I would like to get a 36" to fit through gates, but I wouldn't want to be to inefficient. Lawns around here range in size from small to very large.

TMGL&L
03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
I use riders for my larger vacant lot accounts that don't need to look so great but they're just 38" I'm looking at a 48" walk behind and rider ztr. They should fit in.

RGM
03-03-2008, 12:19 AM
if you want a 60'' get a ztr if you want a 48'' or less get a walk behind a 52'' its hard to say

RGM
03-03-2008, 12:21 AM
they might fit but kind of hard to get a rider and a walk behind on a 5x10 with anything else

Turf Commando
03-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Is there a general rule of thumb in choosing a mower when you don't have any accounts yet? I would like to get a 36" to fit through gates, but I wouldn't want to be to inefficient. Lawns around here range in size from small to very large.

I'm in the same boat except, I based my decision on price, while remaining productive....
Gates for me not an issue, you can be productive with a 36'' it may take you more time obviously,
I wouldn't go tackle any football fields with one...

merrimacmill
03-03-2008, 12:31 AM
It sounds like the general consensus is a WB would be better in the smaller deck range. If I was to go with a WB, it would have to be an exmark because of those hand grips they have, as opposed to the pistol grips IMO.

Where I plan on hauling with an s-10 with a lawn body on it, a WB would seem better as well.

I just always hear guys talking about how WB's are going out and the ZTR's are taking over.

C&K
03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I have a 60 Z and a 48 WB, both exmark. If both had the same deck size I would have to say that the Z would spend more time on the trailer than the WB. Untill I get to the larger properties. Then we pull out the bigger front mower to get the acreage done.

The WB turns faster and less likely to do damage to turf. On smaller areas or normal qtr to half acre lots even though the deck is smaller I can be as or more productive on the 48 WB.

Turf Commando
03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
If I was to go with a WB, it would have to be an exmark because of those hand grips they have, as opposed to the pistol grips IMO.

I just always hear guys talking about how WB's are going out and the ZTR's are taking over.
eXmark makes great walk behinds love the (ecs) controls
Walk-behinds will be around long after I'm gone ...

Budget
03-03-2008, 08:08 AM
I purchased my Z, first then ended up not taking on some of the hilly property's that called me. Then purchased a 48" WB, with a bullrider and this is my favorite machine now. I would go with the WB first that way you will be able to cut hilly property's with out a worry.

Johnson LCO
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I seond what budget said. Get a walk behind first because unless you have many large properties, the walk behind is more efficient and can take hills. I could afford a ztr this year but decided to get 60" and 48" turf tracers instead. You cant go wrong with exmarks and the ECS controls.

TMGL&L
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
My dealer said that the ztr is dangerous going on slopes, like it goes in circles down hills if you're not careful.

The whole hills thing makes me want to go with the walk behind for the versatility.

jdramr4
03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Look at 36 gravely hydro and a bullrider. With a 8.5 mph speed it could be a good first mower choice and very productive in open areas. My dealer here has them for 3859.00.

TMGL&L
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Just an update...

I bought a used 48" Exmark Viking WB for $1900 works great