PDA

View Full Version : Need Box Truck Ramp Ideas

grant0225
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Looking to install a ramp/gate on a box truck. Anyone have any alternatives to the dovetail ramps? Please send pics or links of any ideas.

barefeetny
03-03-2008, 01:21 AM
i can send you pics in a few days when the snow melts.... my box truck is behind the barn and i have a good 6 foot of bank stacked in front of it....

basicly i attached some 10X 10 90 degree brackets to the end of a 2x10 pressure treated board. 2 per board. i cut 6 inches off the side hanging below the board.

i cut a 45^ on the bottom of each board and attach 1 heavy door pull, to the inside 2" side of board.

then on my vandura.... i welded a peice of U channel that runs inbetween the tailights. i left the channel 2 inches lower then the lip of the truck....

i throw open the door. grab the handle pull the board out. drop the 4" short side of the bracket into the channel. do the same on the other side. When its time to leave i pull them out and slide them in...

whats nice is its fast, and adjustable... i have 2 more extra boards in case i want to load something with a narrow front end and wide rear.. or 3 wheels...

it works good for me... its my standard maintenance machine...i do have to use the dump for alot of things...Its not practicle to do mulch jobs, renovations, ceanups ect with the box

Kmtservicesofjax
12-25-2009, 12:21 AM
can u send me some pics of ramp? Thanks

XLS
12-26-2009, 02:30 AM
why dont you want to consider the dovetail design ? just asking.

Kmtservicesofjax
12-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I have been considering a dovetail. I currently have a maxon lift gate. Conyers corp near atlanta, GA. will build and install one for $1500 plus $100 to cut off lip that extends off the back of the truck for the lift gate. however they're 5 and a half hours away near ATL., I dont know if i should go ahead and buy a welder and build a ramp or dove tail myself for the same price,I'm also not sure if their's a way to leave the lift gate on the truck and also build a ramp or make modifications to my lift to use for the mowers... Do you have any suggestions?

KMT Services of Jax

Kevin-

Kmtservicesofjax
12-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I need pics, plans, dimensions, ideas, spring ideas, etc. Thanks

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-26-2009, 05:51 PM
www.usaramp.com might give you some ideas....

XLS
12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Kmtservicesofjax I do not know the type of truck ,box you have but we did a dovetail on a low truck (like a bread truck) to form a fixed dovetail with a 4' gate similar to a cabover lawn care truck .

If this is on the much larger 5500 type trucks and a maxom lift is similar to a fold out delivery lift then all you have to do is set the lift down on the ground and weld a bushing to each side of the lift to attach a lift arm to. then just have a solid back gate built to fit the truck opening then using a lift set the gate down to its accepted angle of approach then adjust the 2 arms to mount them to this part of the door ,then you will need a second gate added to make it reach the ground , this will form a bi-fold gate that will operate using the lift platform on the truck .

this is the simple idea of it ,to get dimensions and specific would be left to a welding shop or someone on site .

we did our newest dovetail for 350.00 but if it is a big gate system we did one and it was about 2200.oo for the big trucks .

4 seasons lawn&land
12-26-2009, 07:47 PM
The usa ramp and handy ramp system are the only ones I know of.

Kmtservicesofjax
12-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I have Isuzu npr with supreme 16' enclosed body. My maxon lift gate tucks up under truck. I will have to measure to give dimensions. It folds like a bifold when u put it away and unfold to use in lower positon. I am thinking it may be complicated to add length on particular lift. It is rated for 1500 lbs. Maybe I could add another fold, however this would make it very heavy. I would have to pull out two folds at one time? This woul also put more strain on the lift and my back?

XLS
12-27-2009, 09:39 PM
the tommy lift we had is a single fold up . you let it down and fold out a single aluminum plateform it is rated at no more then yours and if you use my idea it will ruin the original plate design but it will lift a gate of any size you need . we used 2'' x 2'' x 1/8'' square on 14'' centers with a 1/4'' plate i would guess this would weigh 700 lbs with teh second fold it lifts and it is totally fine we built it 6 years ago and it still lifts 1000s of times a year. on our second gate ,the one that rest on the ground we did it like a standard trailer gate with 5 braces of 2'' 90 deg. 3/16'' thick steel.

cclllc
01-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Try Wil-ro.They have a good ramp sys for the money.

green_mark
01-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Try www.handyramp.com

email me for a video

sales@handyramp.com

Kmtservicesofjax
01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
How much $ for handy ramp for my box truck? Ramp looks heavy to put back up/ awkward. I foresee future problems with ramp. The ramp is not very secure at top when put up for transport. This will cause excessive vibration in area of the ramp where ramp is bolted on causing loosend bolts, weakened steel around connection area of ramp or truck. leading to breakage of welds or steel, etc. or other problems. I am sure you can come up with a better design for lawn service trucks. I dont feel your current ramp is efficient for lawn services that do up to 30 lawns per day. I hope you dont take offense towards my analyzations, but rather use them to your advantage. I am looking for strength, longevity, ease of operation. Most lawn help is hard on equipment and will hurt their back opening and closing that ramp 60 times a day.

Kmtservicesofjax
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
I did not see a dovetail used or sold for my Isuzu box truck. I dont know if their detachable dovetail will mount on my truck. Cost? I like the bifold manual fold down ramp used on super lawn truck website video. I dont know who manufactures it or sells it. At this point. I would just like a good set of ramp plans to take to a local welder.

Kmtservicesofjax
01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Thank You all for your suggestions, ideas, and help. I appreciate it!

green_mark
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
How much $ for handy ramp for my box truck? Ramp looks heavy to put back up/ awkward. I foresee future problems with ramp. The ramp is not very secure at top when put up for transport. This will cause excessive vibration in area of the ramp where ramp is bolted on causing loosend bolts, weakened steel around connection area of ramp or truck. leading to breakage of welds or steel, etc. or other problems. I am sure you can come up with a better design for lawn service trucks. I dont feel your current ramp is efficient for lawn services that do up to 30 lawns per day. I hope you dont take offense towards my analyzations, but rather use them to your advantage. I am looking for strength, longevity, ease of operation. Most lawn help is hard on equipment and will hurt their back opening and closing that ramp 60 times a day.

No offense taken. Our ramps have been on trucks since the late 70's with no issues. It is secured with a 3" x 3" angle and bolted securely to the metal frame behind the door for one model and another model is fastened to the floor for inside storage in place of being behind the door.

The attachment is mounded to the metal side posts for the outside version and to the floor mount for the inside version.

The ramp has springs to assist the lifting and lowering which makes it easy to open and close.

If that gets too much due to you doing it about 60 times per day you can install a winch at the top of the box on the metal frame.

Kmtservicesofjax
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
How much does your ramp cost for box truck?

green_mark
02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
How much does your ramp cost for box truck?

The cube van ramp is 2,600.00