PDA

View Full Version : Deck pitching...what is the advantage?

Big C
03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I have a Quick 36 and would like to know the advantages of slightly pitching the level of my deck....heard several people talk about it so I wanted to know...

swingset
03-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Not sure if you're talking about what I think you are, but deck rake (or pitch) is supposed to be part of the deck setup, most decks are setup with a forward rake so that the leading edge is lower than the rear of the deck.

This creates a sharp leading cut and the proper vacuum to stand the grass up as it enters the underside.

My Ferris has a 1/4" deck rake, which is factory spec and it cuts very nicely. When I got it, the rake was very shallow, almost even, and it left a lot of stragglers.

easycareacres
03-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Deck pitching only requires tuning after bad cut results etc. Buy a proper gauge and one can re-pitch norm is 1/8-1/4 is norm on most.
If cutting ok dont touch.

mowing grass 1111
03-03-2008, 02:05 AM
i had the pitch get so far off on one of my lazer z mowers that it would actually cut the grass shorter in the center of the deck

easycareacres
03-03-2008, 02:08 AM
sounds like a bent blade or bent spindle to me ?

mowing grass 1111
03-03-2008, 02:11 AM
sounds like a bent blade or bent spindle to me ?

nope .. it no longer does it i fooled with the pitch a little and it stopped doing it ... the pitch was way off 3/4 of an inch or better

swingset
03-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Deck pitching only requires tuning after bad cut results etc. Buy a proper gauge and one can re-pitch norm is 1/8-1/4 is norm on most.
If cutting ok dont touch.

You really don't need a guage. You can do it with wood blocks really easily. Measure the distance from the blade's lowest point down to the bottom of the deck (let's say that's 1/2" for illustrative purposes). Cut wood blocks, make the front 2"-1/2", minus your rake amount 1/4" we'll say. So, your front blocks would be 1 1/4" tall. Make the rear blocks 2"-1/2" or 1 1/2" tall.

Then lower the deck to the 2" position on your mower adjustment, let it rest on the blocks and level the deck. This will put your front blades at 2" exactly, and your rear at 2 1/4". Tighten front and rear deck adjustment bolts up. Viola. Level and rake should be perfect.

Just make sure you're on level concrete when you do this! And, read your manual. Some call for a steeper rake than others.

And, you'd be surprised how many dealers don't do a good job with this assembling mowers....even if you're getting a good cut, it might just be better with the proper setup...so check it and adjust if it's out.

Richard Martin
03-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I agree with some here. Adjusting pitch is a tuning tool. If you're happy with the way it cuts leave it alone.

Sammy
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
You really don't need a guage. You can do it with wood blocks ...........

For 5 bucks, get the gauge.

bill8379
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I experimented with pitching the deck last year on a 36" toro and it was much more susceptible to leaving uncut grass in between the two blades, especially when on a curve.

I went with no pitch and it alleviated all my cutting problems.

yardguy28
08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
this thread kind of confuses me because my buddy in the business advises against messing with the deck "mounts" in any way, shape or form. but others will do it in a heart beat.

recently I noticed my deck height has changed. use to be when I set the deck at the 3" setting and measured the tip of the blade to the ground it would be 3". now when I measure it it's 2.75".

I asked about adjusting the deck and he cautioned against it. recommended I check to see if the deck is level and suggested it could just be tire wear.

well my deck is level and I have had the mower for 3 years so I guess tire wear could drop it a quarter of an inch?

sjessen
08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
this thread kind of confuses me because my buddy in the business advises against messing with the deck "mounts" in any way, shape or form. but others will do it in a heart beat.

recently I noticed my deck height has changed. use to be when I set the deck at the 3" setting and measured the tip of the blade to the ground it would be 3". now when I measure it it's 2.75".

I asked about adjusting the deck and he cautioned against it. recommended I check to see if the deck is level and suggested it could just be tire wear.

well my deck is level and I have had the mower for 3 years so I guess tire wear could drop it a quarter of an inch?

Tire wear could definitely be your problem. One other solution, although not the best, is to air up your rear tires until you get the height where you want it. Or, you could just put the pin in the 3 and 1/4" hole.

yardguy28
08-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Tire wear could definitely be your problem. One other solution, although not the best, is to air up your rear tires until you get the height where you want it. Or, you could just put the pin in the 3 and 1/4" hole.

I actually do just put the pin in the 3.25" hole.

I'm actually thinking of switching dealers. from day 1 my grandstand has has 20 psi in both rear tires. manual recommends 14-16 psi. so if my mower at the 3" setting is with 20 psi it would be lower at the recommended psi. so clearly the mower wasn't set right to begin with.

JimQ
08-20-2012, 09:49 AM

Adjust it. That's why they are "adjustable" Just don't screw it up! :laugh:

I see you're talking about a Grandstand. They use chains for deck suspension like a lot of other machines. That's probably where you lost your HOC.

On a typical 5 chain link suspension, there are 12 wear surfaces. Take .021" off of each surface, and there is your 1/4" It doesn't take long to add up. In my opinion, that's why some OEM's are moving away from chains.

Like I said, adjust it out. When you're out of adjustment, replace the chains and bolts.

Q

dhardin53
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a gage now, it nice. Before that I used a deep-well shocked as a feeler.

If the blades have to much back lift the cut will suffer. If the back is lower than the front it may look ok but your will be loosing power. You are bubble cutting the grass. Once with the tips of the blade as you drive into the uncut grass and then again before it drives past it before it exits the deck. This can take as much a 20% more power.

Simplicity tractors I think still set some of there decks this way (lower in the back).

Left and right is just as critical for a smooth cut. Outer tips need to be exactly the same height.

yardguy28
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Adjust it. That's why they are "adjustable" Just don't screw it up! :laugh:

I see you're talking about a Grandstand. They use chains for deck suspension like a lot of other machines. That's probably where you lost your HOC.

On a typical 5 chain link suspension, there are 12 wear surfaces. Take .021" off of each surface, and there is your 1/4" It doesn't take long to add up. In my opinion, that's why some OEM's are moving away from chains.

Like I said, adjust it out. When you're out of adjustment, replace the chains and bolts.

Q

the chains must be very well hidden then cause in the 3 years I've owned it and used it day in day out I've never seen a chain.

the newer ones might have them but mines an 09. first year they came out with them. even on the new once I've only seen pic but I thought only the 36" and 40" used any chains. mines a 52".