PDA

View Full Version : Stripping vs mowing...!

Turf Commando
03-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Noticed a lot of lawn services, could care less about stripping properties, it's more like mow and go...
Does the price per cut affect this decision when does multiple cuts come into play ...?

mag360
03-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh, I thought this was about something else..... (got it out of the way)

Do whatever you need to get the job done. Striping is a direct result of mowing the most efficient way possible (for most lawns) so it's a win/win really. I like the look if it's done cleanly.

rodfather
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
99.99% of your customers could give a rat's *** about striping unless you're mowing Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium. When is the last time a new customer asked ya, 'you do use a striping kit, don't you?' Un huh...

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
99.99% of your customers could give a rat's *** about striping unless you're mowing Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium. When is the last time a new customer asked ya, 'you do use a striping kit, don't you?' Un huh...

I agree with Rod. We as LCO's usually care more than customers.(we do have a few who like them) I like the look myself,but do not want my guys spending extra time doing it...Cut the grass,edge and clean up ...Hopefully they will have left some stripes in the lawn ...double cutting usually is reserved for those times in the spring when the rain has made the grass grow excessively...

IN2MOWN
03-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I have found that striping a yard is usually the fastest way to get it cut anyway. Might as well do it.

jtkplc
03-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Plus striping takes more time to do. Once you get away from striping you soon realize how much faster you can mow.

IN2MOWN
03-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Plus striping takes more time to do. Once you get away from striping you soon realize how much faster you can mow.

How does it take longer?

The shortest distances are straight lines.

meets1
03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I have guys here that I refer to as mowing as farmers. Just mow in a circle and blow all grass out or in whatever, and go. Who cares what it looks like where as my entire crew takes pride in what that yard looks like and after a few mows, it is a checker board look. I think it is more professional looking.

ponyboy
03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
cross cutting is better for the lawns now it is not always possible 95% of the time it is being we are there for the benefit of the property we do it we get our price and we do what we nned to do to keep the propert looking good. I would guess that people who say no we can care less also cut the lawns in a drought just to charge for a cut and make easy money. we are a proprety maintence company and we take time and pride in our work, now saying that we do not spend excessive time just what ever it takes to keep a proffesional image, if not they could hire the kid next door with a mower. also less ruts, and for the 5% of properties that can not be crossed cut our second pass is a half pass then back to full passes to help forming of ruts. take some pride in your business

TScapes
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
How does it take longer?

I agree! I have actually timed myself mowing the same patch of turf different ways. I mowed it like a typical homeowner rider would do, I stripped it, and I mowed it in the shape of a bulls eye. I was astonished to see that I was only within a minute or two of each other, and stripping it was actually the fastest. This was a two acre open field, too!

The only time it takes you longer to mow, stripe, or whatever, is when you double or triple cut.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I personally think that even though the customers dont give a **** about the stripe, it looks more professional, it just gives that finishing touch.

IN2MOWN
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Stripes are what separates us from the local neighborhood kid.

It takes less time to mow stripes, it looks better, there is less of a chance of missing a portion of the turf, and believe it or not the customer does care. I cant count the # of times someone has asked me to go a certain direction or to checkerboard it.

jtkplc
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
How does it take longer?

True, however, mowing a lawn making the least amount of stop and go turns is the most efficient way. If I can mow a lawn and only stop and turn 4 times versus striping it and stopping and turning at the end of each stripe, I'm going to be done faster. Search lawnsite for threads from the past on this subject. They will be very helpful in grasping this concept. It took me a while to catch on, but now I don't stripe any of my lawns and I actually have had more compliments since I stopped striping. Once you get away from striping everything you begin to see just how much time it wastes.

IN2MOWN
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I dont need to grasp anything.

Striping is the most effective way to cut a lawn. Not only for time and looks but it cuts down on thatch and clippings also.

UrbanGreen
03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I have noticed that the yards that we stripe, its usually not the customer that really notices the stripes but their neighbors do. I have picked up many new accounts in part to the striping. I have had many of them double checking with me to make sure when I cut their yard its going to have those "cool neat stripes" like the yard I just did.

MarcSmith
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Most of my yards we did the "race track" was given. we did cross cut about every 2-3rd cut just to prevent ruts from forming in the st augustine. but when you are looking at a 10K sq lot, stripes don't mean squat. I would take the extra time on the fronts of the commercial properties to make it look special...

jtkplc
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I dont need to grasp anything.

Striping is the most effective way to cut a lawn. Not only for time and looks but it cuts down on thatch and clippings also.

Spend a month not striping. You'll have a different opinion.

lawnboy858
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Jtkplc: Do you run mulching kits, or do you side discharge?

In my opinion, it is better to stripe when side discharging. You don't create a mess of clippings; and you wouldn't have to go back over them later. However, if you were using a mulching kit, I could see more sense in your argument. There would be no need to come back and fix a excess compilation of clippings, and you could factor out quite a few time consuming "zero turns".

But, since i do side discharge; i would say for the combination of curb appeal, and for the least amount of time spent mowing, it is more efficient for me to stripe the lawns i cut.

Matt

GrassmasterB
03-03-2008, 09:46 PM

jtkplc, if you're so against striping, why is yor avatar a striped lawn? a little false advertising?

jtkplc
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Jtkplc: Do you run mulching kits, or do you side discharge?

In my opinion, it is better to stripe when side discharging. You don't create a mess of clippings; and you wouldn't have to go back over them later. However, if you were using a mulching kit, I could see more sense in your argument. There would be no need to come back and fix a excess compilation of clippings, and you could factor out quite a few time consuming "zero turns".

But, since i do side discharge; i would say for the combination of curb appeal, and for the least amount of time spent mowing, it is more efficient for me to stripe the lawns i cut.

Matt

I run both ways on different mowers. There are clearly times when striping is best. If the customer doesn't request it, there is no need in wasting the time striping if the conditions or property layout don't call for it.

There are many methods that require very little turning and therefore are faster and you don't have possible rutting issues like you do when you make zero turns at the end of each stripe.

jtkplc
03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
jtkplc, if you're so against striping, why is yor avatar a striped lawn? a little false advertising?

Who said that I'm against it? I think striping looks very nice. I do it when needed. There is a time and place for striping and should only be done if you get compensated for the extra time it takes.

ed2hess
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I have found that striping a yard is usually the fastest way to get it cut anyway. Might as well do it.

Nope the key stone cop method is absolutely the fastest......around and around and straight and any other direction to get it done.

freshprince94
03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
1: i can't stripe grass like yall because i cut st. augustine and it is hard as hell to stripe.
2: i do agree with striping as long as it dosen't take any longer like if you're just cutting with a striper bar. if your're going around making fancy checkerboards and double and triple cutting, that adds time and that's where i think it's a waste. most people dont cry if you dont stripe their lawn
3: i think that rather than worrying about striping, yall should be cutting clean edges with a stick edger rather than taking the easy way out with a trimmer. that's something customers care about.

MarcSmith
03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
rather than taking the easy way out with a trimmer. that's something customers care about.

They don't even really care about that either...or crack weeds or the beds edged....most people just want their darn grass cut...

Fresh, were in O-town do you work....I did about 10 years in South orlando....

IN2MOWN
03-04-2008, 07:59 AM

No thanks, I would lose my customers. If they wanted their yard to look like that they would hire the neighborhood kid.

GravelyNut
03-04-2008, 08:26 AM
When the grass has to be cut weekly or twice in a week, the customers won't care. Centipede and St Augustine won't show the difference for even a day when the grass can grow 2" overnight. Very few lawns are striped here.

IN2MOWN
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
When the grass has to be cut weekly or twice in a week, the customers won't care. Centipede and St Augustine won't show the difference for even a day when the grass can grow 2" overnight. Very few lawns are striped here.

Everything is striped here. Commercial or residential. I have seen homeowners go out and buy striping kits for their pushmowers.

Green Team Landscaping
06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
thye're the same thing man. striping is just more defined mowing

STIHL GUY
06-17-2008, 10:14 PM
striping looks a lot nicer to me

freshprince94
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
They don't even really care about that either...or crack weeds or the beds edged....most people just want their darn grass cut...

Fresh, were in O-town do you work....I did about 10 years in South orlando....

Sorry for the late reply lol.

I work towards the Kissimee area (close but still Orlando zip code) , I guess you could say South Orlando.

Lazer_Z
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Fresh, were in O-town do you work....I did about 10 years in South orlando....Marc, I respect you opinion, but disagree about the other things not being noticed. People do notice. I was helping out a fellow LCO last season, long story short his edger broke down. The first thing I was asked by one of his customers was "why aren't you guys edging any more?"

Now, on my own, I edged the curb,walk and driveway areas every visit. I just picked up a new customer and on that account I edge out the beds with my trimmer every visit. Today, I saw the customer and was asked "do you zig zag every week?" what the person meant was, do I change my pattern and I replied that yes, I change it every time I mow. So people do notice patterns, edging, and bed edges. I also make sure to get the grass out of the cracks and from the curb area.

DoetschOutdoor
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Saying that people do not notice or care about stuff like edging and striping is absolutely stupid. You've got the wrong kind of customers if they dont care.

Lawn-Sharks
06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I talked to a few of my customer about striping their lawns and they really didn't care as long as the price didn't go up???? People just don't care.

timmac
06-18-2008, 03:46 PM
alot of mine dont even notice but some do and they like the stripes.

Green Team Landscaping
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
i have to say one more thing. the striping the guy who started this is talking about...only has 1 s. 2 makes it stripping like workin the poles haha

capnsac
06-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Well I dunno about the guys who are claiming that striping is faster than mowing in circles. I instead of having to make a 180 degree turn you make a simple 45 degree turn. Plus, if the grass is wet (which it still is here) you won't have to worry about doing a k-turn in order to reduce turf-tear by turning that 180 degrees.

As an experiment I mowed a property that normally takes me 4.5 hours, it only took me 3 today. Plus, it was much more enjoyable to drive wherever my heart desired, instead of having to be in a rigid formation. I too was of the mindset that striping was awesome, and the end-all be-all of mowing, but it was like a breath of fresh air.

Just my .02, for anyone that hasn't tried it I highly suggest it! Till later!

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 12:42 AM
I never striped until last year. It IS a bit slower, but only marginally so. None of my customers seem to notice the difference. I still do it today - but primarily b/c it brings ME satisfaction.