PDA

View Full Version : building a Ferris Dual Drive?

stevesmowing
03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I am looking at putting together a Ferris Dual Drive.

I have the following parts for it:

Rear Frame only with idler pulleys, linkages, and controls.

Here is what I need and the prices:

- Deck (I have access to a 61" brand new fixed deck loaded with everything on it for $600)
- Engine (Thinking like a 23hp kawi for just under $1,400 from J-thomas.)
- Hydro Pumps/Motors (J-thomas claims to have both of these for around $750 each so $1,500 for both sides)
- Rear Tires and Rims ($150 from J-thomas)
- About $100 in other misc. parts
- Shipping and Taxes ~$350

Grand Total $4,000.

So for $4,000 I could have almost a brand new mower. Would you guys go ahead and buy all of these peices and put the machine together? Brand new I think they go for at least 7,000 with tax.

rodfather
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
how many hours do you think it would take to assemble everything...and make it work?

Roger
03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Using this approach, some common questions are put to rest:
- How far away is the dealer?
- Does the dealer offer loaner machines during downtime?
- Does the dealer carry spare parts?
- Will the dealer put me first in the line of equipment needing repair?
- What kind of financing does the dealer offer?

This is only a start to the list of issues that are solved when taking this approach.

I wish you well on your project. Please take pics and keep us updated on the progress of your project. I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing progress and the final product. I'm curious why it will be called a Ferris. Does the base frame and linkages provide the basis for the name (I assume so with the frame you have -- Ferris, right?)?

stevesmowing
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
its going to be a Ferris dual drive when complete. I have some parts from an old one, other parts will be bought. The dealer is a 3 minute walk across the street from my shop. I am guessing its going to take 40 hours to get the whole thing together. I really enjoy that kind of work, it's like a hobby to me.

Pumper
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I would do a little more research on the drive system. There is a pair of Hydro Gear IZT's on Ebay with a starting bid of $240. Even if you paid 3 times that, it is still 1/2 what you were going to pay J Thomas. You could also look around for a local hydraulics distributor. You might be surprised what they can get the variable displacement pumps and gerotor motors for to have split system. Just my 2 cents.