PDA

View Full Version : I think I found an Ebay scammer.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Last week I saw and Exmark Naigator on Ebay that was at $650 starting bid with no reserve and then the auction suddenly was gone. It popped up again yesterday and I emailed the guy and he said $2,900 would buy the mower and get it shipped to my front door. He said the mower was in Alaska and he was in London and didn't need it anymore. Oh yes it only had 35 hours on it as well. In the midst of recieving his email the auction once again vanished with over 4 days left on it. WHY SO CHEAP, WHATS UP WITH THE AUCTION COMING AND GOING, AND MOVED TO LONDON FROM ALASKA. It all sounds fishy. I'd love to have that mower but a new one $12,000. Who is going to let a 35 hour unit go for $2,900 included frieghted delivery.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
whipple - if you smell a rat he probably is. Ignore the auction and move on....

meets1
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
yup - scammen! Same thing with a toro 455-d. Wanted like 3500 for a it, 360 hours and he was in NY on business, wife was over sea's on business and a friend would ship it from ohio. Buy now price was $7900. What do they think I do not know - how are you getting away with this but I guess that is how he can afford to be over sea's on business!

bohiaa
03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
thanks for posting....

jtoman
03-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I had the same guy try to sell me an exmark ct for 2900 he said he had moved to Alaska for personal reasons or something. He made up a phony shipping label and wanted me to wire transfer money to a fake eBay rep in Florida. Well thought out plan but i sent the emails to eBay and within 5 minutes got a reply back that it was obviously fake.

eBay is pretty good about catching that stuff.

Always remember if its too good to be true its probably too good to be true

lzrj
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Warning to everyone!!!!!! Anytime the seller says either they are or the item is out of the country. RUN RUN RUN. It dosent take to very smart person to tell you something is wrong, especially if the price is way too low. Some of these scammers will try to make you fill better by saying the transaction will take place by Palpal to protect both parties. Paypal is not 100% and you can be scammed using it. New scam is that false accounts are being used in Paypal. By the time Ebay catches it, you already sent the item and there is no money really there. Common sense will protect most of us. For the ones that do fall for it, I really dont fill sorry for. Dont let the excitement of a deal "too good to be true" override common sense.

hanson's glc
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
i had a guy try this on me with a 52 hp with 34 hours on it. and the shipping from ny to mn was $119 so i contated ebay to have them look into it for me and ebay told me the guy i was dealing with stole the ebay member name. the guy was pushy saying he had 5 other people try to buy it at his house in one day. only gave me 3 days to find out that he was a scammer. run run from any one try to sell out of the states or cannada too i got scammed for $300 from cannada. run from any one that dosen't know any thing about what they are selling.

kleankutslawn
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
they have been running that same scam on craigslist.RUN RUN RUN!!!

nmez21
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Another tip is that they will almost always tell you the price and add a "USD" at the end (ex. $3000USD). They send e-mails that look like they're from e-bay, but they don't "like" paypal and want the money wired. Also, they grab specs off website and can't tell you anything useful about the product. These might not apply for all cases, but I see these things a lot. I was nearly scammed last year. Keep your eyes open and good spot.

J&R Landscaping
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Yes, that auction is a scam.

mowerman111
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I found an exmark with a 60" deck for $1700. So I responded and asked the guy where it was at and if he still had it and he answered with this. He still has not answered me back about where the mower is at. I knew it was to good to be true.

Hi,

Thank you for your email. I still have it for sale. Right now i am gone in my honeymoon in Hawaii but i hope that`s not going to be a problem because i can still handle the transaction. When i left in my honeymoon, i left the item along with several other items in the custody of The Online Outpost because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home, something wrong with my mom and i decided to sell this one before i get back but not on ebay because i need to sell it faster. So if you are still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately. Just let me know and i will explain
all the details of the transaction...

Thanks

topsites
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM

That's it, simple as that.
Pretty much.

woodbutcher44
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Last week I saw and Exmark Naigator on Ebay that was at $650 starting bid with no reserve and then the auction suddenly was gone. It popped up again yesterday and I emailed the guy and he said $2,900 would buy the mower and get it shipped to my front door. He said the mower was in Alaska and he was in London and didn't need it anymore. Oh yes it only had 35 hours on it as well. In the midst of recieving his email the auction once again vanished with over 4 days left on it. WHY SO CHEAP, WHATS UP WITH THE AUCTION COMING AND GOING, AND MOVED TO LONDON FROM ALASKA. It all sounds fishy. I'd love to have that mower but a new one $12,000. Who is going to let a 35 hour unit go for $2,900 included frieghted delivery.

Usean escro account your money is your untill you get the item and release it with a smile . If its not as said to be return it with a signutre release and your mones is yours again. no sweat.ESCRO under buyers tools .

POPO4995
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes, this whole thread is true. He did this with a Deere 2305. I asked for the serial #'s for everything and that was the last I heard of him. I think his name was Ron Barton. Tell him to email you if you havent yet for further info and then call your local police for a report and they can track him down.

mowerman111
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=mowerman111;2187199]I found an exmark with a 60" deck for $1700. So I responded and asked the guy where it was at and if he still had it and he answered with this. He still has not answered me back about where the mower is at. I knew it was to good to be true.

I finally got a reply back about were the mower is located at and what is wrong with it. He claims he doesn't know were it is at. THIS IS TO FUNNY!!! Oh this is on craigslist by the way

Hello again,
As i said in my first email i will explain how The Online Outpost works because i want you to be clear on every aspect of this transaction. They are one of the best eBay selling services. You simply drop an item to one of their stores or they pick it up from your home ,you find a buyer and they will take care of the rest. When i went to Hawaii i left 4 items for sale in their custody, they picked them up from my home so don`t ask at what store, or where the item is exactly because i don`t know...as long as they are handling the shipping and handling i don`t care where they are. I forgot to mention that the shipping is included in the price of sale. They offered me a discount on shipping because i am selling a large number of items and i can afford that.
So basically they have the item insured and ready for shipping. As soon as i will have your shipping details i will send it to them and they will start the transaction. They will email you with an invoice and payment instructions. You will have to send the payment to one of their agents by following the payment instructions. Then you will send the payment details to them, they will validate the transaction and will start the shipping ASAP. If you will have questions you can ask them directly.
Unfortunately the pick up is not possible because this is an urgent sale (like i said before i intended to sell this on eBay when i should have returned from Hawaii but due to some recent problems back home i am forced to sell it now). The Online Outpost suggested to offer a return policy because my offers would substantially increase so i am offering a 10 day guarantee. This eliminates the pick up option but you will have the time to inspect it and decide if you want it or not. If for any reason you decide not to keep it, they will give you a full refund and will return the item on my expense.
So if you agree with this terms and decide to proceed, then i will need your full name and shipping address in order to start the transaction.
As soon as i receive this details from you i will forward them to The Online Outpost exactly as you sent them.
Thank you

lifetree
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Yep, I definately smell a rat with that one ... forget about it !!