PDA

View Full Version : trailer lined with expanded metal

woodie08
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
is it worth spending a little more for railing around the trailer that is lined with expanded metal or just have it open? I think its about $100.00 or so more for it. let me know thanks..
:confused:

topsites
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand, do you mean solid sides vs. just the rails?

If so I'd get the solid sides, it hauls stuff like mulch and debris way better.
Also if something gets loose in the trailer there's less fear of it falling off.

But a grate for a side works as well, it's a matter thou of height...
I think 2 feet for sides works dandy, a little taller would be nice but for a $100 extra I'd get solid sides.

woodie08
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
it's metal mesh all around the sides goes up 2 to 3 feet high

ffemt1271
03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
it will haul "stuff" better , you can throw it in there and not worry about is, such as debris, mulch etc... but if you ar going to use it to haul equipment only, it is much easier to tie it bown with no sides on it.:usflag:

levithan9
03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I bought a 4 x 6 trailer to haul my stuff around. I don't have a ZTR, so the size was perfect. I did have to weld a back gate on it. If the difference is ONLY $100, the BUY IT !! The gate was free for me, as was all the angle iron. I work for a construction company, and they throw that stuff away. I'm going to raise the sides of the trailer by 2 feet, and weld expended metal on the sides and front, so that my stuff dosn't fall out. Thank god all the material is free!!

okeefl
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Definately, get the metal sides. You won't be sorry.

jdmcat
03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
spend the extra $100, well worth it.

lifetree
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, spend the extra few dollars and get the metal siding !!

txgrassguy
03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Depends on how long the trailer is.
Remember, trailers will flex - and that expanded metal will actually weaken quite easily.
Once it gets weakened, the edge of your mower deck can puch and/or peel the weakened expanded metal like an orange peel.
Every single trailer I have had which originally had or was modified to include expanded metal required welding at least four major times throughout the year.
Should you go with expanded metal, get the heaviest gauge you can.
One thing I heartily suggest is to weld gussets in all the corners to stiffen the expanded metal.
I still use expanded metal, but when I order new trailers I always add the gussets.
But then again most of my trailers average over 20,000 miles per year too.

hackitdown
03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
I have the mesh, and I wouldn't go without. My trailer also has higher than normal sides. As txgrassguy said, the welds break, but I have never fixed them. You can strap or bungee stuff to it, you can toss loose stuff into the trailer like coke cans and branches. You can haul mulch, and it holds the mulch. I can haul 4 yards of mulch easily with no mulch sliding out. Do it.

GravelyNut
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I bought a 4 x 6 trailer to haul my stuff around. I don't have a ZTR, so the size was perfect. I did have to weld a back gate on it. If the difference is ONLY $100, the BUY IT !! The gate was free for me, as was all the angle iron. I work for a construction company, and they throw that stuff away. I'm going to raise the sides of the trailer by 2 feet, and weld expended metal on the sides and front, so that my stuff dosn't fall out. Thank god all the material is free!!I have the same trailer minus the tailgate. Mine is now almost 4 years old. 1 ton rating makes it a good size except fot seeing it behind the truck or backing it up.
Photo 1 shows it with a Gravely 566 and sulky.
Photo 2 shows what it's like behind the truck.

pj550v12
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I have the same trailer minus the tailgate. Mine is now almost 4 years old. 1 ton rating makes it a good size except fot seeing it behind the truck or backing it up.
Photo 1 shows it with a Gravely 566 and sulky.
Photo 2 shows what it's like behind the truck.

I'm sorry man but you really need to up your game a little bit. Do you know how bad that looks to customers?! In all honesty, you must know that doesn't look good. Whether it gets the job done or not, you have a beautiful truck you're ruining your image with that.

GravelyNut
03-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm sorry man but you really need to up your game a little bit. Do you know how bad that looks to customers?! In all honesty, you must know that doesn't look good. Whether it gets the job done or not, you have a beautiful truck you're ruining your image with that.:laugh: That is my personal trailer used for fetching dead Gravelys. Or in this case, hauling the 566 down a one lane dirt road that at the end, the trailer had to be turned by hand. We also have a 6'X16' dual axle. And I don't do it for a living. I'm retired.

Photo below shows where the mower went.
Second photo shows uncut trail.

pj550v12
03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
:laugh: That is my personal trailer used for fetching dead Gravelys. Or in this case, hauling the 566 down a one lane dirt road that at the end, the trailer had to be turned by hand. We also have a 6'X16' dual axle. And I don't do it for a living. I'm retired.

Photo below shows where the mower went.
Second photo shows uncut trail.

LOL sigh of relief on my end