PDA

View Full Version : Scag Velocity VS John Deere 7Iron PRO - advice again

FIRESCOOBY
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok all, these are the two choices I've narrowed it down to. I've demoed the Scag last year, but nothing was growing much with the drought.

I haven't demoed the JD yet because the new Z820A (54"/25) are just starting to trickle in.

What I'm looking for (again) is experiences, recommendations, etc for these two decks. The JD is comparable in price to the Wildcat and the TT is about $1000-1400 more. I cut Bermuda and Fescue, and looking for a dependable mower that cuts great.

Any info and advice is appreciated.

BCNU
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I have the John Deere 7 iron deck and have only good things to say about it. Leaves a great cut and discharges clippings great even when wet. I don't think you would go wrong buying one. Good luck in whichever you purchase!

Zooropa93
03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Ok all, these are the two choices I've narrowed it down to. I've demoed the Scag last year, but nothing was growing much with the drought.

I haven't demoed the JD yet because the new Z820A (54"/25) are just starting to trickle in.

What I'm looking for (again) is experiences, recommendations, etc for these two decks. The JD is comparable in price to the Wildcat and the TT is about $1000-1400 more. I cut Bermuda and Fescue, and looking for a dependable mower that cuts great.

Any info and advice is appreciated.

Which brand has better local dealer support in your area?

FIRESCOOBY
03-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Which brand has better local dealer support in your area?

That is Scag. The closest JD dealer is almost an hour. I have two different Scag dealers within 30 minutes, the best price from the dealer that's about 15 minutes.

Maybe I just answered my own question. Just wanna make sure I get the mower with the best cut.

exmarkdude
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I have four Scag mowers with the Velocity decks and they all cut great no matter the conditions. The only problem I have is that some customers don't like a larger mower on their property so I am looking at the Great Danes to compliment the Scag's.

ponyboy
03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
jd has a deep deck creating more suction the scag i think their deck is 1 inch deeper than the scag. we run floating decks scags 4 of them and some other machines and i am not as happy with them as i use to be this year i am getting a jd 54 floating deck my friend has one and would never switch o anything else that was after he left scag

QualityLawnCare4u
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
My 737 leaves a great cut and is especially good in Burmuda and great on Bahai. I have never used a scag so I can't comment on them. I will say that my deere beats exmark on overall different grasses, especially bahai.

LLandscaping
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I run two Scag Turf Tigers with velocity decks. They leave a good cut and do well in wet conditions.

tacoma200
03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
The decks are close, both preform excellently. I would give Scag the edge as far as the tractor goes as far as toughness goes. It is a proven design while the John Deere is developing. The Scag has the full suspension Michigan seat and a greater selection of engines. But I don't think you could go wrong with either.

The Scag is a little more dated design, but proven. It is a long lasting workhorse. Jury is still out on the Deere. The design just changed recently.

greengiant9963
03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I have ran both mowers and both have there stong points. If I had to chose it would be the scag.

jpmako
03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
They are both great machines...
I have had Lesco, Bobcat, Scag and JD Machines.
When it comes down to a new purchase I personally would Demo a few different machine and see what works best for YOU.
I am the outlier in my area as I am the only Company running JD and have no problem telling you that I have been nothing but pleased with the overall quality/ performance of the machines and excellent cut quality.
In my area we are prone to a lot of spring growth and also very damp conditions, this in my opinion is where the 7 IRON deck outperforms all others that I have tried. I have not had to scrape a JD deck yet and I am going on 4 Years with my first one.

One other thing to consider is that most Lesco/ JD Landscapes stores are going to soon be phasing out the Lesco brand machines and carrying JD.

If I had to buy another machine tommorrow it would definately be a

jkingrph
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I bought a scag wildcat in spring of '06. The velocity deck gives a great cut. Summer of '06 was so dry that it was not used much, spring of summer '07 was so wet and grass grew so fast it showed it's true colors.

I have a local dealer about 5 miles away. It seems as though JD is pulling dealerships from small local dealers and going to ones that must have large farm equipment, with lawn care products as a byline. My old JD lawn tractor was purchased from a small dealer who carrried their lawn care products as well as Stihl equipment. They are probably one of the better dealers in the area and went to handling Toro and some cheaper brand. Price was too much for Toro, and closest JD dealer was now 30 miles away so I got a good deal on the Scag and have been pleased with it.

Roger
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
... It seems as though JD is pulling dealerships from small local dealers and going to ones that must have large farm equipment, with lawn care products as a byline. ...

I'm not sure if this is the case, at least not in all locations. There have been similar statements on LS in the recent past, but they are all "... it seems." I talked with my JD dealer recently, and he was clear about what has happened in this area. This dealer formerly was a large ag dealer, but that business has nearly all been depleted.

The statement about "small local dealers" is right. But the other part of the story is the store will remain open under different ownership/management. JD is consolidating ownership, but not necessarily closing retail and service locations. So the "small owner" being eliminated may be right, but the closing may not be right.

To be sure, changes are in the mix. But, how it manifests itself isn't all that clear. From what I can decipher (again, more speculation) JD hq is wanting to deal with fewer contacts in their retail network. This may mean some places closing for good, or it could mean consolidating stores under common ownership and management.

Whether or not this is the good or bad news -- wait and see. From the standpoint of the LCO, the smaller operations may not have been handling commercial mowing equipment anyway.

derekarbeiter
03-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Do yourself a favor and get the Deere. The 7-Iron deck outperforms everything else out there.:)

tacoma200
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I think I would go with the dealer you think would treat you best. Both the Velocity Plus and 7 Iron II decks have proven themselves. The John Deere dealer would have to be very good service wise to drive an hour. I just cut some overgrown, wet grass today, probably 9" tall down to 3" with the Velocity plus. It was very thick over the septic lines and it never missed a blade. It rained all day yesterday so this gives you and idea how the Velocity preforms. The big engine on the Scag really helps in situations like this. I have nothing against the Deere, just wonder who would give you quick service?

Zooropa93
03-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is the case, at least not in all locations. There have been similar statements on LS in the recent past, but they are all "... it seems." I talked with my JD dealer recently, and he was clear about what has happened in this area. This dealer formerly was a large ag dealer, but that business has nearly all been depleted.

The statement about "small local dealers" is right. But the other part of the story is the store will remain open under different ownership/management. JD is consolidating ownership, but not necessarily closing retail and service locations. So the "small owner" being eliminated may be right, but the closing may not be right.

To be sure, changes are in the mix. But, how it manifests itself isn't all that clear. From what I can decipher (again, more speculation) JD hq is wanting to deal with fewer contacts in their retail network. This may mean some places closing for good, or it could mean consolidating stores under common ownership and management.

Whether or not this is the good or bad news -- wait and see. From the standpoint of the LCO, the smaller operations may not have been handling commercial mowing equipment anyway.

In the southeast, JD is pushing hard for their dealers to be Deere exclusive. As for the smaller/mid size dealer owners being pushed out...they're increasing how much a dealer has to buy to make X% margin etc. to encourage the smaller dealers to get out by making it not profitable. Never mind that some of these have been with JD for 15, 20, 30 years, as that means nothing to JD. In some cases where they are being pushed to sell out to the mega owner who has multiple dealerships, they keep the dealership open under the new management as mentioned in the post above, but some are being closed down also. James River Equipment owns nearly all the JD dealers in VA and many in NC and they just shut down another location.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-30-2008, 01:34 PM
A friend and fellow LCO has the JD and I have the scag........both cut fescue very well...wet or damp they are doing good....Ive only had mine 2 weeks but with spring growth and wet and sap in the grass......the velocity is alot different and better than the older advantage deck

wayne