PDA

View Full Version : Promoting Green Up

clallen03
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Here in Georgia we have been getting some pretty warm weather here lately. I have been debating if I should start scalping my lawn now or should I wait.

I want to wait because last year I scalped around this time and lawns started to green up really good and then we had a hard freeze for Easter. This was really hard on my lawn and took a while for them to recover.

Scalping really promotes green up because it helps warm up the soil but it can come back to bite you in the rear. I know first hand.

What are you'll doing? Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

mowerbrad
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Last year I started to de-thatch several lawns in late march since we were having 60 degree weather. Well...it was all nice weather and several of my lawns were starting to green up and then during the first or second week in April we had a big ice storm which pretty much haulted anymore jobs until the end of april. If I were you I would wait a little while and see if the warm weather stays or not. If the forcasts predict warmer weather for a while I would think that you are safe to start.

tamadrummer
03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I know it is hard to do but it is defiantly worth waiting. You kind of answered it yourself with personal experience.

You just cannot predict weather that far out. It has been so awesome this winter down here, we have had a fantastic amount of rain and warmth. I have been able to stop irrigating. I don't know for how long but if we get the expected rain tomorrow, it will just extend the length of time I can keep of the sprinkler system.

Best off just to wait.

kleankutslawn
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I know it is hard to do but it is defiantly worth waiting. You kind of answered it yourself with personal experience.

You just cannot predict weather that far out. It has been so awesome this winter down here, we have had a fantastic amount of rain and warmth. I have been able to stop irrigating. I don't know for how long but if we get the expected rain tomorrow, it will just extend the length of time I can keep of the sprinkler system.

Best off just to wait.

i agree.the weather has been lovely for us this winter

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Anyone,

I have a question about scalping Bermuda if you don't mind me asking. I'm in NC and we have a lot of Bermuda, but not the real pretty stuff...it's common Bermuda (wiregrass). It really doesn't start to green up until mid to late April. When should I scalp? Exactly how short do I cut it when scalping? It's a one time thing in the spring, before green up, right? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jimmy