PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for the lowballers!!

CuttinUP
03-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Ford said they are going to shut down second shift today at the Explorer and some other (POS that they build) assembly plant here in town. 800 workers will be either bought out or early retirement. I guess at least a forth will load up their MTD and call it a LCO, not paying taxes, or insurance, and pricing those 35.00 lawns at 15.00. So get ready!! This seems to be going on all over.:nono:

all ferris
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Or Brickmann could lowball you by thousands of dollars

CuttinUP
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Or Brickmann could lowball you by thousands of dollars

Who is Brickmann?

barefeetny
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
a nearby village is almost out of factorys....

its not that bad.... you make it seem like doomsday...i actually do a better buisness there then when both major employeers were in buisness... and they lost 1800 jobs in two years... village is bankrupt..... `with a population of 4200...

if your going to lose customers for a few bucks.... then your probably selling the wrong service or product..and most people who were making 50 grand... aint going to mow lawns... they are going to commute somewhere else to work and not lose the house, suzys college fund ect

1080p
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
you know, we just had a company meeting about that today.

you hit the nail on the head.

Don't get me wrong, i am all for the people that want to be in any business.

This business though, do your homework, cause if you don't you'll be out in one year or less.

Also do your homework for the fact that if you lowballers get any of my jobs solely based on the fact that you came in lower than me an F-450 might have the tendancy to..... I'm fully insured and licensed in all the necessary fields to offer all services.

Are you?

CuttinUP
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
you know, we just had a company meeting about that today.

you hit the nail on the head.

Don't get me wrong, i am all for the people that want to be in any business.

This business though, do your homework, cause if you don't you'll be out in one year or less.

Also do your homework for the fact that if you lowballers get any of my jobs solely based on the fact that you came in lower than me an F-450 might have the tendancy to..... I'm fully insured and licensed in all the necessary fields to offer all services.

Are you?

Yes, I am.

It seems that a large % of the solos in this town at least, have a full time job and do lawn care on the side, only want to get 600 from each customer so they don't have to report it on taxes. I am all for some competition, bring it on! But next year when they are not in the business and the customer thinks that they should be able to get there lawn cut for 15.00 @ week and you tell them 35.00, they act like you are a crook and to be quite honest, These are the customers that need to be weeded out. But this Industry seems like it is full of illegitimate companies. What can we do as legitimate companies to put a stop to this?

all ferris
03-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Who is Brickmann?

If you are in this business long enough you will learn who Brickmann is. Just do a little search. Brown trucks and they are everywhere. If they aren't in Louisville...they will be.

meets1
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I have the same thing. Fortune 500 company has dropped down to 30 hours and keeping everyone fultime but guess what - these want to work the other 3 days and therefore are now LOC's in the making and I still have snow on the ground!

CuttinUP
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
If you are in this business long enough you will learn who Brickmann is. Just do a little search. Brown trucks and they are everywhere. If they aren't in Louisville...they will be.

They are not here, YET!
There are other large franchise LCO's here. They haven't effected me yet. But I hear the large local LCO's complaining about a few that have shown up over the last few years.

lifetree
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm sure some of the displaced workers will give lawn care services a try, however, I'm not sure it would be as widespread as initially suggested !!

newz7151
03-04-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm sure some of the displaced workers will give lawn care services a try, however, I'm not sure it would be as widespread as initially suggested !!

Let's see... they can go out and sweat and try to scrape up some money by getting dirty and mowing lawns, or they can sit at home and catch up on some daytime TV and hop online to make sure that their unemployment benefits check got direct deposited into their bank account on time...

sikagrass
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
No doubt that the economy is going to spawn a lot of new LCOs this year.If they want to work cheap they will get work from us no doubt. But for the segment that wants it done right, there will always be a market.Lawnsite has taught me one thing in the last year and that is to charge what I need to make a profit and let the other ones slide.Seems like you guys on the East coast have more competition than we do here.

GreenN'Clean
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I had my share of low ballers for the past 3-4 years but they never last. They all have new equipment when they start from there home equity loans and they under price everything and run themselves out of business...... People are being laid off at record rates thanks to good ol George Bush's over spending and out sourcing American jobs and its going to get worse before it gets better....... 7 years ago when I started do lawncare there was only a handful of people doing it, then about 5 years ago people started loosing there jobs little by little and they all got into doing lawncare. Now there is about 10 huge companies and tons of lowballers hitting the scene and this year a huge plant is going to close so I assume plenty more people will be trying to cut grass to make a living. I think this is going to be a tough year for a lot of lawncare guys because the economy is so screwed and people are going to start cutting out all the extras they used to pay for such as eating out,movies,cable,vacations and lawn services just to pay there living expenses. So I think low ballers will be out in full force this year ----------------

delphied
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Ford said they are going to shut down second shift today at the Explorer and some other (POS that they build) assembly plant here in town. 800 workers will be either bought out or early retirement. I guess at least a forth will load up their MTD and call it a LCO, not paying taxes, or insurance, and pricing those 35.00 lawns at 15.00. So get ready!! This seems to be going on all over.:nono:

As usual, another thread with alot of comments from people who dont know what they are talking about. I was forced to retire from an automotive plant and started cutting last year. My prices are not as cheap as many of the big operators. I have a good bit of assets that I cant afford to loose in a lawsuit and had to go the legitimate route. I dont see where anyone deserves a medal for paying taxes to a bunch of crooked politicians but that is what I do.

The people that were working in the Ford plant arent likely to start mowing lawns for next to nothing. They had a good job with good pay and why start busting your backside for no money. The guys with an MTD that are lowballing are usually the guys who have nothing to start with and that usually doesnt include ex auto workers, unless they were fools or lost it all in a divorce.

As for collecting unemployment insurance, not the case if you took an early out with a pension or lump sum. At least not in Michigan and we prolly have some of the most lenient terms for collecting it than any state.

The number of 40 and 50 year old men coming from a union factory and willing to mow lawns all summer will be small. As far as I know, I was the only one from my plant that started mowing. I couldnt afford not to be legitimate and I cant afford not to charge a good bit because I am legitimate. There will prolly be way more teens that take your jobs this summer but everybody seems to think thats an honorable thing for a teen to do.