PDA

View Full Version : RedMax vs Stihl

UrbanGreen
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I am looking to replace my weedeaters, edgers, and hedge trimmers this year. I have run stihl equipment and was wondering what you guys think of redmax equipment. I use redmax blowers and love em. I have heard that the stihls are all 4 stroke now and are heavier and cost a lot more. Anybody have advice on the better product?

meets1
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Better - not sure. More comfortable with - REDMAX.

DLAWNS
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not going to say that they are better as its really opinion for the most part, but I prefer Redmax. I have Redmax weed whackers, edgers, and blowers and love all of them.

Landrus2
03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I am looking to replace my weedeaters, edgers, and hedge trimmers this year. I have run stihl equipment and was wondering what you guys think of redmax equipment. I use redmax blowers and love em. I have heard that the stihls are all 4 stroke now and are heavier and cost a lot more. Anybody have advice on the better product?

Redmax trimmers are good trimmers as good as the blowers.:waving:

UrbanGreen
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for inputs! Can you get a lot of use out of the redmax's? Most of my stihl I have run for 4-5 years but they of course are not the 4strokes.

Landrus2
03-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for inputs! Can you get a lot of use out of the redmax's? Most of my stihl I have run for 4-5 years but they of course are not the 4strokes.

The most we get out of a blower. no matter who makes it one year, with good service

The life of a blower at full throttle is about 300 hours.:waving:

mcambrose
03-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I have owned 4 Stihl blowers (BR400's and Br420s) and 3 shindaiwa/redmax. Redmax and Shindaiwa use the same engine and I found them to have no discernible difference. I found the Redmax/Shindaiwa blowers to be stronger and to start easier. My old Stihl's didn't have a carb pump, so they always took a few more pulls when cold. I wouldn't want a unit without a carb pump. I vote for Shind/Redmax.

UrbanGreen
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
The most we get out of a blower. no matter who makes it one year, with good service

The life of a blower at full throttle is about 300 hours.:waving:

Wow! I have two ebz8000 that are 3 yrs old and still run great! They were ran year round. I just bought 3 more ebz8001. Thats what has made me interested in the rest of their equipment.

S man
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm wondering if redmax is better with their trimmers. Because I use stihl 2 cycles and like them. I had a redmax and didn't like it too much.

bladecutter582
03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I have both and I like the Redmax much better. Great torque and a very solid unit with twice the warranty.:cool2:

yungman
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Redmax Strato charge is a true 2 cycle engine, I have not heard anything bad about Redmax yet. Stihl 4mix is another story!!!! Those hybrid 4 cycle engine do not have a good track record. You have to be very careful on what oil and gas you use, all the precausion!!!

I think both Shindaiwa and Stihl hybrid 4 cycles have problems, read the past threads here and look at all the complains. Problem with deposit on valves and all. Stay with true 2 cycles like Redmax etc.

I bought a Shindaiwa C4 blower and I am not very happy with it. Today when I was working on the yard, the thing don't start. I have 1/4 tank gas, it may be not getting the gas and I don't have any more to put it in. I have to get more tomorrow. It bugs me that I still have 1/4 tank!!!! I hope nothing wrong with it. It is only 3 months old.

Stay with 2 cycles like Redmax, you can't go wrong.

UrbanGreen
03-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Are the prices between redmax and stihl generally the same or does redmax win in that catagory too?

yungman
03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Regular price, Stihl are more. BUT Stihl have promotions, they can get very cheap. I have not seen Redmax promotion yet. ( does not mean they don't)

Redmax BCZ3001S was $329 in my dealer which is very good. 29.5cc, 1.7hp trimmer!!! Stihl 2 cycle stuff may be very good, but the 4Mix is a different story. Just like Shindaiwa C4!!!

Redmax are very good, search in the forum, you will not see many complain on it and it does have loyal followers. Sometimes, price is not the only thing.

If you have Maruyama dealer close by, consider that also, some of their products carry 5 year commercial warrentee. With the saving, you can affort to buy a spare Ryobi in case it break down and you have to wait for parts!!!!

UrbanGreen
03-04-2008, 12:28 AM
thanks for the responses! You guys have pretty much answered my doubts that had about the 4 mixes. I wasnt real sure the 4mix stihl would be as good as my older 2 cycle stihls and it doesnt sound like they are. I love my redmax blowers so i look forward to seeing how great the trimmers are!

yungman
03-04-2008, 02:10 AM
thanks for the responses! You guys have pretty much answered my doubts that had about the 4 mixes. I wasnt real sure the 4mix stihl would be as good as my older 2 cycle stihls and it doesnt sound like they are. I love my redmax blowers so i look forward to seeing how great the trimmers are!

Please let us know what you end up with and share your opinion. We all learn from this way.

One more piece of info might or might not be important: Redmax 2400 series with 23.6cc engine have 4 bolts for the cylinder, 2500 engine (25.4cc) have only 2 bolts bolting the cylinder to the crankcase. Is it important?? I don't necessary think so. I just feel better with 4 bolts!!!! Just my proference. Go to the web site and check out the parts diagram.

UrbanGreen
03-04-2008, 02:40 AM
yungman, thank you sir. I will most definitely post when i get em and run em a little while.

I agree four bolts sounds better to me too

Turf Dawg
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I quite using the Redmax Strato because I was having problems with them bogging down. I do know in May that Redmax is releasing there new 2600's that have a accelerator pump under the carb that fixed this problem. Right now I have 4 Stihl FS90's and they are performing fine. I will have to say if you have a good dealer for Kawasaki you might want to give these a try. I bought a KGT27A and I like it better than my Stihls, Redmaxs and Echos. Only thing I know for certain is, a good dealer is a must.

TScapes
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I quite using the Redmax Strato because I was having problems with them bogging down. I do know in May that Redmax is releasing there new 2600's that have a accelerator pump under the carb that fixed this problem.

I had the same issues with our stratos' and even before the strato. We ran nothing but redmax for 3 years b/c we had a national discount. However, doing nothing but large commercial malls and large properties day in and day out, the Redmax could not handle it. I think what started out as 10 weedeaters and 5 edgers in my branch, we ended up replacing them atleast 3 times. Some of the redmax didn't even make it a month before we had issues with the carbs. Got rid of them all and went back to shindawa.

clay duncan
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
i have had the same experiance with redmax weedeaters that turfdawg and tscapes has had. they just wont hold up to all day everyday use. i have two fs110 that have been through hell and back and are still going strong. i like redmax blowers but i will never buy another redmax weedeater.......

Landrus2
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
i have had the same experiance with redmax weedeaters that turfdawg and tscapes has had. they just wont hold up to all day everyday use. i have two fs110 that have been through hell and back and are still going strong. i like redmax blowers but i will never buy another redmax weedeater.......

Witch redmax weed eater are you running. and what kind of problems were you experiencing with machine.:waving:

clay duncan
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
redmax 2400. 2 carbs, rebuilt top end, lower gearcase, replaced trimmer guard (string cutter fell off), countless trimmer heads and needs another top end rebuild. all this in a season and a half........

Landrus2
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
redmax 2400. 2 carbs, rebuilt top end, lower gearcase, replaced trimmer guard (string cutter fell off), countless trimmer heads and needs another top end rebuild. all this in a season and a half........

RedMax
Line Trimmer
Mod: BCZ3000S

Promo: $369.99
Straight
29.5cc
Strato
1.4 HP
1.1hrs
PT104 Plus
2 Years

$369.99

Stihl FS-110R

Revolutionary new engine design is powerful, lightweight and fuel efficient. Professionals will appreciate the fast acceleration and cutting torque. The STIHL 4-MIX® engine meets EPA emissions standards. (Protective glasses supplied with these units.) Note: Barrier bar and large deflector must… [more]

Compare now before you were running redmax 2400 now run 3000 and you will see a big difference.:waving:

UrbanGreen
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Joesimoes2 what redmax equipment are you running that seems to be doing well? I was needing a pole hedge trimmers preferably with the flip head on it. 2 weedeaters and a curved shaft edger. If I do go and look at the redmax I would like your or anyone elses opinion on which models to look for.

yungman
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
RedMax
Line Trimmer

Straight
29.5cc
Strato
1.4 HP
1.1hrs
PT104 Plus
2 Years

$369.99

Stihl FS-110R

Revolutionary new engine design is powerful, lightweight and fuel efficient. Professionals will appreciate the fast acceleration and cutting torque. The STIHL 4-MIX® engine meets EPA emissions standards. (Protective glasses supplied with these units.) Note: Barrier bar and large deflector must… [more]

Compare now before you were running redmax 2400 now run 3000 and you will see a big difference.:waving:

You might have good luck with Stihl hybrid, a lot of people have problem with hybrids from both Stihl and Shindaiwa. Just yesterday my Shindaiwa C4 blower refused to start no matter what, this morning, it started. It is only 3 months old, I don't know what happened.

I read a lot of posts in this forum and others, every brand have complains, Redmax sure don't have a lot. Shindaiwa 2 cycle have very few complains also, but their C4 hybrids are something else. I was fooled by the name Shindaiwa and bought my blower and I regret every bit of it. Read all the posts on hybrid engines, you have to worry what oil to use, what gas to use, some people got it just right and they work out, a lot have problems after problems. These engines are old, dated back to WW2 for planes. But in those days bullets are the main cause of engine failure rather than carbon buildup!!!!

Redmax 2400 is small trimmer, if you need to do heavy job, you have to get BCZ3001S. It is 1.7hp and light. Shindaiwa famous T261 and T272 13.7 and 14.7lb , for that kind of weight, they better work good. They are very expensive also.

S man
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
My redmax 2600s was purchased in 05 and was sold in 07. I had it for two years and loved it as first but as time went on the gear box got whiny and lost torque and never had luck with the pt104+ head. and lots of vibration. I went with stihl fs85s and love them. Stihl has their share of problems also but not like the redmax. I know a guy on here on has two redmax bcz2601s and one stihl fs110r, he uses the stihl most of the time. Redmax had good edgers and blowers but their trimmers are not so good.

Shuter
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I have Stihls for almost all of my handheld equipment for 8 years now, with very few minor problems. I plan to replace some trimmers in the next few weeks with Stihls. One backpack blower is 8 years old and still starts and runs fine.

clay duncan
03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
RedMax
Line Trimmer

Straight
29.5cc
Strato
1.4 HP
1.1hrs
PT104 Plus
2 Years

$369.99

Stihl FS-110R

i have been around long enough to understand a bigger weedeater has more power. i never said i needed more power. i just said my redmax 2400 weedeater was in a nutshell, an unreliable pos and that i would never buy another one.
sman, i used those fs85's for years with attatchments and i still have a couple of fs80"s that have always been bulletproof. the fs110's is the best weedeater i have found so far. tons of torque and very quiet. i use stihl oil and regular gas.....

S man
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
i have been around long enough to understand a bigger weedeater has more power. i never said i needed more power. i just said my redmax 2400 weedeater was in a nutshell, an unreliable pos and that i would never buy another one.
sman, i used those fs85's for years with attatchments and i still have a couple of fs80"s that have always been bulletproof. the fs110's is the best weedeater i have found so far. tons of torque and very quiet. i use stihl oil and regular gas.....

Have you had any carbon build up or valve problems with the 4 mix? I like my stihls but might have to go with redmax or echo because the only dealer that I would to for stihl takes forever to fix stuff and is not as professional than some other dealers. The dealers I get my mowers from sells redmax echo and shindaiwa. So between those three those are the brands I will get for future equipment.

UrbanGreen
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
How about echo equipment? I have an old echo hedge trimmer that I still use, an edger and line trimmer. I do not use the edger or line trimmer now, I only use them for back ups. They all run great and have only had minor cosmetic things go wrong with them thats it. However I was told the new stuff is horrible.

clay duncan
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
i have had to replace the spark plugs in each weedeater one time. that is due to me running 87 octane gas. these weedeaters are used all day everyday six days a week (in season) and i run the attachments for them all the time. i also have a fs83, fs85 and a fs80 and the 110's are always the ones that get grabbed up first.........try one!

yungman
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
How about echo equipment? I have an old echo hedge trimmer that I still use, an edger and line trimmer. I do not use the edger or line trimmer now, I only use them for back ups. They all run great and have only had minor cosmetic things go wrong with them thats it. However I was told the new stuff is horrible.

The new SRM265 and SRM280 all have single ring Vortex engine. If you are think about buying Echo, get the original SRM260 etc with Power Boost Tornado engine. I don't know whether they are going cheap, but I'll let time to judge whether they are good.

I have been digging up info about rings and reading up books, can never make sense single ring is better. Infact can't justify single ring is equal unless you are using it for very high RPM.

S man
03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
i have had to replace the spark plugs in each weedeater one time. that is due to me running 87 octane gas. these weedeaters are used all day everyday six days a week (in season) and i run the attachments for them all the time. i also have a fs83, fs85 and a fs80 and the 110's are always the ones that get grabbed up first.........try one!

Do you like the 110s better than the 85 80s?

Just Mow
03-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I have FS80R trimmers and 100RX 4-mix. The 4-mix have always run strong and I have not had any carbon problems. Adjusted the valves on one unit after two years. These trimmers are three years old.

As for Yungman.
You have never owned a 4-mix unit but you sure sprout a lot of crap about heresay.
Run one before you speak.

DavisLawn
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
the 110's are strong .... the only bad things about them are, they are very heavy and REALLY HARD on gas..... i have a redmax 2600 that i love and u will fill up the Stihl's 3 times with gas before the redmax runs out once.

yungman
03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I have FS80R trimmers and 100RX 4-mix. The 4-mix have always run strong and I have not had any carbon problems. Adjusted the valves on one unit after two years. These trimmers are three years old.

As for Yungman.
You have never owned a 4-mix unit but you sure sprout a lot of crap about heresay.
Run one before you speak.

READ ALL THE OTHERS' EXPERIENCE!!

I bought a Shindaiwa C4, I'll be a fool to get more of the hybrids. This is an inherent problem of hybrids, don't matter whether it is Stihl or Shindaiwa. Stihl make good 2 cycles, nobody argue about that, so is Shindaiwa. I would buy Stihl FS80 if they were to sale them in California.

I spent hours and hours reading posts when I was buying my trimmers, Stihl 4Mix sounded very attractive, low weight, high power, good price when on sale. I was so drawn to it. I spent all the time justifying to buy 4mix until I cannot justisfy anymore. I seen enough people swear by it but I seem enough people swear at it. Then I study the theory behind it, it is the oil in the mix that cost carbon buildup on the valves which is deadly to the engine. You cannot clean it easily like the Hondas.

Other people here might not spend hours and hours searching for past posts, I think it is only good for people to know this kind of problem is around and point them to read the past post the make a sound decision.

clay duncan
03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Do you like the 110s better than the 85 80s?

as great as the fs80 and fs85"s are, i would rather use the fs110 anyday. smooth, powerful and quiet.

TPLawnPro
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I use RedMax BC2601's and a Stihl FS110 for trimmers. I like them all the same. I can certainly appreciate the lighter weight of the RedMax trimmers, but I prefer the brute power from the Stihl.> :weightlifter:

The deciding factor between the two manufacturers could be a coin toss descision maker for me.

As for blowers, I've always used RedMax. With that being said, I've really never given Stihl backpacks a chance to prove their worth. :hammerhead:

SKAGMAN7
03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I have used stihl,echo,and redmax. wouldnt trade my redmax for anything. it is just as strong as the others and is much lighter...

S man
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I use RedMax BC2601's and a Stihl FS110 for trimmers. I like them all the same. I can certainly appreciate the lighter weight of the RedMax trimmers, but I prefer the brute power from the Stihl.> :weightlifter:

The deciding factor between the two manufacturers could be a coin toss descision maker for me.

As for blowers, I've always used RedMax. With that being said, I've really never given Stihl backpacks a chance to prove their worth. :hammerhead:

I might go back with redmax trimmers when my stihls break. I brought one to joes the other day because the clutch is acting weird and they asked me if I wanted to put down a deposit and said it would be a week and a half. I just think vaunghs is a little faster with repairs and mr. Bob could look at it right away and tell me what's wrong. What do you think Bret? btw, I'll probably come by for the stander over the weekend.

TPLawnPro
03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I might go back with redmax trimmers when my stihls break. I brought one to joes the other day because the clutch is acting weird and they asked me if I wanted to put down a deposit and said it would be a week and a half. I just think vaunghs is a little faster with repairs and mr. Bob could look at it right away and tell me what's wrong. What do you think Bret? btw, I'll probably come by for the stander over the weekend.

Joe's is requiring you to put down a deposit to have your Stihl trimmer repaired???? They must be so busy that they just can't keep up, or folks are simply dropping off their equipment and are not coming back for it. :confused:The bottom line - it's essential that you have efficient dealer service and support. Therefore, it sounds like you might want to spread the wealth around, and head on over to your alternative power equipment dealer and service center - Vaughn's. I'm going to be purchasing my next Wright Stander RH from them this fall. Hang on to Joe's though; they are going through business expansion - as they are getting set back up on Tulane. Hopefully the adjustment will smooth out for them real soon.

So, Vaughn's doesn't sell Stihl huh? Well then, I say you certainly can't go wrong with RedMax if that's your only other favorable option. :walking:

Oh, and the Wright Stander is here and ready when you are.

S man
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Joe's is requiring you to put down a deposit to have your Stihl trimmer repaired???? They must be so busy that they just can't keep up, or folks are simply dropping off their equipment and are not coming back for it. :confused:The bottom line - it's essential that you have efficient dealer service and support. Therefore, it sounds like you might want to spread the wealth around, and head on over to your alternative power equipment dealer and service center - Vaughn's. I'm going to be purchasing my next Wright Stander RH from them this fall. Hang on to Joe's though; they are going through business expansion - as they are getting set back up on Tulane. Hopefully the adjustment will smooth out for them real soon.

So, Vaughn's doesn't sell Stihl huh? Well then, I say you certainly can't go wrong with RedMax if that's your only other favorable option. :walking:

Oh, and the Wright Stander is here and ready when you are.

They actually asked me and I said no. They know me and it shouldn't be needed because I always pick my stuff up and the clutch is warrantied for life. I will keep joes for my stihl equipment, but any brands I can get at vaughns or bob's I will get there because I feel like they are more down to earth and make sure I buy the right unit. I bought a kombi system from joes without being sure it was right and never got the advice I needed, I wanted to return it but wade would not let me because I "used" it. I think they were better in 06 when they got the kenner shop opened but now the transition with both shops is causing some lack of professionalism so I hope things straighten out. I'll see you this weekend. scott

derekarbeiter
03-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Go with Stihl. Toughest stuff on the planet.

S man
03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Go with Stihl. Toughest stuff on the planet.

Redmax is just as tough but in my area I have better redmax dealers and support. I won't buy anymore stihl because of dealer support.

yungman
03-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Redmax is just as tough but in my area I have better redmax dealers and support. I won't buy anymore stihl because of dealer support.

Good morning S Man:waving:
I have a question for you, you like Redmax, you don't like Stihl dealer support, then......how come you still have Stihl in you logo!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Did I get you!!!!!:laugh::waving:

derekarbeiter
03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Dealer support is important. I'm just more found of Stihl products. I also have a Toro trimmer which is basically the same as the Redmax. Tough machine, but the Stihl wins hands down.

S man
03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Good morning S Man:waving:
I have a question for you, you like Redmax, you don't like Stihl dealer support, then......how come you still have Stihl in you logo!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Did I get you!!!!!:laugh::waving:

What do you drink in the morning? I just like the stihl avatar. I will change if it's bothering you. Maybe a redmax avatar.

yungman
03-24-2008, 10:33 PM
What do you drink in the morning? I just like the stihl avatar. I will change if it's bothering you. Maybe a redmax avatar.

Diet Coke!!!!

I am just kidding, it don't bother me at all!!! I am just having fun.:waving:

I don't have brand loyalty, I just call it as I see it. I don't defend any brand. If I see many many good comments on 4Mix or C4, I will change my tune. In fact, I think 2 cycle Stihl have very little complains......well.......yours is one of the very few:laugh::laugh: Nothing is perfect. You sell a lot, got to have some bad ones. Hope your next one will be perfect.:waving:

N.TX
03-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Well I run all redmax. I think they are both high quality and both have a few minor problems. I will tell you that i bought a new stihl weedeater last yr ... well it stays around for backup i hate it. Its under powered and twice as hard to start as the redmax. I have a sthil hedge trimmer that is homeowner grade and its still going bought it last yr and use it alot. I think im going to stick with redmax though.

J&R Landscaping
03-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I bought a Redmax trimmer last season. BCZ2601. Ran it for about 2 months. Had a ton of vibration from it, and the carburator was replaced under warranty one time. I had another problem with it when it blew an oil seal. My dealer was cool about everything and I traded that unit for a Shindaiwa t261. I'll buy Shindaiwa trimmers from now on. I did by a Redmax 7001 bp blower in the fall and that has been good thus far.

S man
03-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Diet Coke!!!!

I am just kidding, it don't bother me at all!!! I am just having fun.:waving:

I don't have brand loyalty, I just call it as I see it. I don't defend any brand. If I see many many good comments on 4Mix or C4, I will change my tune. In fact, I think 2 cycle Stihl have very little complains......well.......yours is one of the very few:laugh::laugh: Nothing is perfect. You sell a lot, got to have some bad ones. Hope your next one will be perfect.:waving:

I'm joking with you also. I have no complaint about my stihls except the clutch is acting funny once in a while and the two stihl dealers around me aren't that great. I will get redmax for everything now on because of support. I was trying to sell them so I can get some redmax trimmers but I guess I'll keep the stihls and just get redmax next time around. The dealer closest to me who sells redmax and that I like said they tried to sell stihl but the jerk dealer pauli's got mad that they were going to and he complained and stihl didn't let my dealer be a stihl dealer. Then the guys I go to for my stihls also the jerk guy doesn't like selling stihl but they aren't so great either with customer support. So when I heard this I was ticked off!! Can I complain to stihl about this? I want my dealer to sell stihl, if not I will never buy stihl again like I said. I mean who does this jerk think he is not wanting a little competition to get his butt moving on actually taking care of his customers and not charge so much. My dealer said I'm not the only one who has complained about both stihl dealers. the main guy Pauli's gets the most negative feedback and I know why.

yungman
03-25-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm joking with you also. I have no complaint about my stihls except the clutch is acting funny once in a while and the two stihl dealers around me aren't that great. I will get redmax for everything now on because of support. I was trying to sell them so I can get some redmax trimmers but I guess I'll keep the stihls and just get redmax next time around. The dealer closest to me who sells redmax and that I like said they tried to sell stihl but the jerk dealer pauli's got mad that they were going to and he complained and stihl didn't let my dealer be a stihl dealer. Then the guys I go to for my stihls also the jerk guy doesn't like selling stihl but they aren't so great either with customer support. So when I heard this I was ticked off!! Can I complain to stihl about this? I want my dealer to sell stihl, if not I will never buy stihl again like I said. I mean who does this jerk think he is not wanting a little competition to get his butt moving on actually taking care of his customers and not charge so much. My dealer said I'm not the only one who has complained about both stihl dealers. the main guy Pauli's gets the most negative feedback and I know why.

Call Stihl up, if they care, they should do something. I lost track, you open the trimmer up, did you show it to them?
BTW, I wrote to Redmax yesterday to ask about the CV225 little tiller, they actually answer all the questions I asked one by one today, one day reply!!!! That is customer care. They discontinue the tiller which is Redmax engine with Mantis frame. I would seriously consider them if they can fit the Mantis attachments and still selling it!! As is I order the Mantis Honda with dethatcher and aerator attachment today.

I felt kind of bad end up buying direct from Mantis. I tried to buy from the dealer, but it was too big a difference. Mantis offer free kick stand, free edger attachment and free shipping with one year return policy and no sales tax!!!! The dealer don't offer any of that and still $10 more plus sales tax. I cannot pass that up. It would be over $100 difference!!!

Keep us inform on your FS85. :waving:

S man
03-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Call Stihl up, if they care, they should do something. I lost track, you open the trimmer up, did you show it to them?
BTW, I wrote to Redmax yesterday to ask about the CV225 little tiller, they actually answer all the questions I asked one by one today, one day reply!!!! That is customer care. They discontinue the tiller which is Redmax engine with Mantis frame. I would seriously consider them if they can fit the Mantis attachments and still selling it!! As is I order the Mantis Honda with dethatcher and aerator attachment today.

I felt kind of bad end up buying direct from Mantis. I tried to buy from the dealer, but it was too big a difference. Mantis offer free kick stand, free edger attachment and free shipping with one year return policy and no sales tax!!!! The dealer don't offer any of that and still $10 more plus sales tax. I cannot pass that up. It would be over $100 difference!!!

Keep us inform on your FS85. :waving:

I did open the trimmer up but didn't show them yet. My dealer told me to stop calling stihl though which I thought was hilarious because he ain't fixing the problem mechanical or customer wise. btw, the main stihl dealer pauli's sells the mantis tiller and I asked him about getting one and he ignored me. Because I was in there getting my money back from the worthless kombi tiller attachment I got there. He took forever to get it and then just handed me a box and didn't assemble or tell me how to use it. He said he would of if I bought the powerhead there. What a jerk.

yungman
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I did open the trimmer up but didn't show them yet. My dealer told me to stop calling stihl though which I thought was hilarious because he ain't fixing the problem mechanical or customer wise. btw, the main stihl dealer pauli's sells the mantis tiller and I asked him about getting one and he ignored me. Because I was in there getting my money back from the worthless kombi tiller attachment I got there. He took forever to get it and then just handed me a box and didn't assemble or tell me how to use it. He said he would of if I bought the powerhead there. What a jerk.

Get the Mantis direct from Mantis. I have check all over, you can get cheaper but you cannot get all the free stuff, free shipping, one year return if you don't like it, they paid return shipping and no tax if you are not living in the same state with them. They are 2 years commercial warrante also.

I would bring the FS85 to show him and if he refuse to do anything one more time, I would contact Stihl right away before the warrante expires. From the picture you show, it is not obvious of anything wrong except the clutch looked thinner than all the motors I have opened.

BTW I wrote to Redmax again and they reply already again!!!! What service!!!! I wrote to Mantis two times and they have not reply yet. Wrote to Shindaiwa three times and no reply.
:waving::waving:

S man
04-20-2008, 06:52 PM
hmmm. Just bringing up an old thread. I'm still thinking about selling one of the stihls and grab a redmax 2601s on mowpart for 295. Beats the dealer who wants 339+ tax. The stihl was running good and not having the problem for a while but started doing it here and there again. It happens only once in a while.

mowerbrad
04-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I have always had good luck with stihl equipment. I have a few stihl dealers around me and one that is really good. I haven't seen many people with RedMax equipment around here nor have I heard of any dealers for them.

S man
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I have always had good luck with stihl equipment. I have a few stihl dealers around me and one that is really good. I haven't seen many people with RedMax equipment around here nor have I heard of any dealers for them.

See, it's dealer support. If all I had was stihl and they were good dealers, all my stuff would be stihl.

bojodunk
04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
the last red max whips that i have bought last year were a big disipointment and i wont buy anymore hard starting poor running. the whips had slide carbs not the old diaphram
style im not impressed with them

yungman
04-20-2008, 10:54 PM
What happen to Redmax!!!?? All of a sudden, I hear people complaining about Redmax about hard starting and idle problem!!! So our choice is down to Echo only!!!! How about Husqvarna 326L?:waving:

bojodunk
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
here somthing to think about how much dealer support is needed if you could
buy a good piece of equipment the only time i needed a dealer is for repairs on
a new red max weed whip (junk)

CuttinUP
04-21-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a Stihl BR 420 that has been great. This is my forth season on it and the only thing that has happened with it was the other day the top spring mount broke while on the rack. Other than that it has been great. But I am wanting a blower with more power. I like the BR 600's power and comfort and weight. The reliability of the blower is mixed. So, I have been looking at the redmax blowers. The EBZ 8001 has great power, but it weighs like 32 lbs full of fuel. The EB 7000 I think non strato-charged engine will be my next BP Blower if not the BR 600. Haven't decided yet.

S man
04-21-2008, 12:08 AM
What happen to Redmax!!!?? All of a sudden, I hear people complaining about Redmax about hard starting and idle problem!!! So our choice is down to Echo only!!!! How about Husqvarna 326L?:waving:

Oh no......... NOT echo!!! In my area all the guys around here use redmax and never complain about any problems. I heard some problems with echos being too lean and taking forever to start. The model is the 261t.:hammerhead:

retiredat49
04-21-2008, 01:08 AM
I have a Stihl BR 420 that has been great. This is my forth season on it and the only thing that has happened with it was the other day the top spring mount broke while on the rack. Other than that it has been great. But I am wanting a blower with more power. I like the BR 600's power and comfort and weight. The reliability of the blower is mixed. So, I have been looking at the redmax blowers. The EBZ 8001 has great power, but it weighs like 32 lbs full of fuel. The EB 7000 I think non strato-charged engine will be my next BP Blower if not the BR 600. Haven't decided yet.

Just bought 2 Redmax EB7001...great blowers!

yungman
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM

Echo PB755 is a good one. They don't seem to have any problem. I don't want to say anymore, I made too many enemies in the last two days!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Richard Martin
04-21-2008, 02:27 PM
So our choice is down to Echo only!!!!

What's all of this "our choice" nonsense? What, do you have a mouse in your pocket? You're a homeowner that is doing his best to disrupt as many threads as he can for whatever reason.

yungman
04-21-2008, 02:50 PM
What's all of this "our choice" nonsense? What, do you have a mouse in your pocket? You're a homeowner that is doing his best to disrupt as many threads as he can for whatever reason.

What did I step on you this time, This is freedom of speach, You are here and I am here, what about you disrupt my conversation. I am here, like it or not. We are all here talking, just fun and game, light up.

You really think this is rocket science that you need to be so knowledgable in order to talk. Don't need much to know about the equipments. These are just very very low tech simple stuff. So don't flater yourself thinking that this is only for you professionals.

Don't like it, don't answer.

Richard Martin
04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
What did I step on you this time, This is freedom of speach, You are here and I am here, what about you disrupt my conversation. I am here, like it or not. We are all here talking, just fun and game, light up.

You really think this is rocket science that you need to be so knowledgable in order to talk. Don't need much to know about the equipments. These are just very very low tech simple stuff. So don't flater yourself thinking that this is only for you professionals.

Don't like it, don't answer.

Freedom Of Speech doesn't apply on Internet message boards. You agreed when you became a member that everything you wrote was the property of the message board and you would abide by their rules and regulations, regardless of any limitations.

Smart guy eh?

I will not stop and I'll tell you why. You continue to act like you know everything about every piece of 2 stroke equipment ever built and hold yourself out as some sort of expert on all equipment. You've barely even begun your experience with Lawn and Garden power equipment. I tore my first piece of equipment apart almost 42 years ago. I've seen lots of equipment come and go and lots of people too. But even given my old school experience I am not afraid to embrace new technology which is something you seem to have a major problem with.

yungman
04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Freedom Of Speech doesn't apply on Internet message boards. You agreed when you became a member that everything you wrote was the property of the message board and you would abide by their rules and regulations, regardless of any limitations.

Smart guy eh?

I will not stop and I'll tell you why. You continue to act like you know everything about every piece of 2 stroke equipment ever built and hold yourself out as some sort of expert on all equipment. You've barely even begun your experience with Lawn and Garden power equipment. I tore my first piece of equipment apart almost 42 years ago. I've seen lots of equipment come and go and lots of people too. But even given my old school experience I am not afraid to embrace new technology which is something you seem to have a major problem with.

Last I check, you are not the board here, who are you to be the judge?

I never claim I am expert. I am not an expert at all. I just know enough that I don't know enough. That is the reason I read a lot of posts and know that hybrid have more problems.

I don't know enough that why I put a poll out. Read the poll result. The poll result say louder, I am just quoting.

BTW I am not just a home owner, I own 3 other rental houses that I do lawn care for. THis is a business. Not the type that you guy are, but it is a business. The only difference is I can tell the owner to eat it and he has nothing to say. He can never fire me!!!

What new technology, hybrid is used in WWII. Fighter can fly in all position. That time their main reliability issue is bullets not deposit. You have 40 years experience, don't you read any of this. You have to learn to read more instead of doing. I am surprised that the hybrid issue is so well known, so many complains here and in other forums and people still would prefer to put a blind eye, only attack me with me being a home owner. Don't you even read. Have to learn to be more scientific!!! Learn instead of claiming 40 years of experience. There is a difference between 40 years experience and one year experience repeating 40 times.

It is funny you need 40 years experience to talk about single cylinder engine. Don't worry, this is only a passing hobby for me, like cars, gun smithing, computer, electronics, photography, martial arts, mathematics. When I get good and get tired of it, I'll disappear and leave you with your 40 years of experience. I am already starting to get tired of it, may be you should feel happy.

Just Mow
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM

I never claim I am expert. I am not an expert at all. I just know enough that I don't know enough. That is the reason I read a lot of posts and know that hybrid have more problems.

I don't know enough that why I put a poll out. Read the poll result. The poll result say louder, I am just quoting.

BTW I am not just a home owner, I own 3 other rental houses that I do lawn care for. THis is a business. Not the type that you guy are, but it is a business. The only difference is I can tell the owner to eat it and he has nothing to say. He can never fire me!!!

What new technology, hybrid is used in WWII. Fighter can fly in all position. That time their main reliability issue is bullets not deposit. You have 40 years experience, don't you read any of this. You have to learn to read more instead of doing. I am surprised that the hybrid issue is so well known, so many complains here and in other forums and people still would prefer to put a blind eye, only attack me with me being a home owner. Don't you even read. Have to learn to be more scientific!!! Learn instead of claiming 40 years of experience. There is a difference between 40 years experience and one year experience repeating 40 times.

It is funny you need 40 years experience to talk about single cylinder engine. Don't worry, this is only a passing hobby for me, like cars, gun smithing, computer, electronics, photography, martial arts, mathematics. When I get good and get tired of it, I'll disappear and leave you with your 40 years of experience. I am already starting to get tired of it, may be you should feel happy.

YAWN, Boring as usual...........go play with your microwaves.

yungman
04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
YAWN, Boring as usual...........go play with your microwaves.

Yes, I study very hard, when I take a break, I come here to shoot the breeze. That's why looks like I am here all day long. I am very busy, this is a relaxing thing.

gunner27
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Thank you yungman for the poll. It was such an eye opener! I've had such trouble free experiences with my FS 110 that I decided to go buy a BRAND NEW KM 90..... Thank you for being such an advocate of 4-Mix technology!!!!!!

yungman
04-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Thank you yungman for the poll. It was such an eye opener! I've had such trouble free experiences with my FS 110 that I decided to go buy a BRAND NEW KM 90..... Thank you for being such an advocate of 4-Mix technology!!!!!!

As long as you make the informed decision, good for you!

Lazer_Z
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM

It is funny you need 40 years experience to talk about single cylinder engine. Don't worry, this is only a passing hobby for me, like cars, gun smithing, computer, electronics, photography, martial arts, mathematics. When I get good and get tired of it, I'll disappear and leave you with your 40 years of experience. I am already starting to get tired of it, may be you should feel happy. So, You have a lawn mowing business now? :confused:

Listen, the difference between you (home owner) and Mr. Richard Martin (Professional) is that he actually owns and operates his own business, he's not just cutting 3 property's for extra cash like you. I asked you nicely before to give it a rest with the Stihl bashing, but nope that won't happen so yet again here we are finding ourselves in the same argument. You have admitted on a PUBLIC forum that you have never owned nor used a piece of Stihl equipment and you keep bringing up your poll. Who cares about the d@mn poll, I asked you how many other Stihl users out there know nothing about LS and you never answered me because you don't know.

I'll go one step further than I have before when I said that you have an open invitation to try out my Stihls, that still stands, but if you happen to find yourself in or around my area of Jersey I'm going to PM you my Cell # and that why you can swing by and try them out and see what we happy 4Mix owners are saying.

yungman
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
So, You have a lawn mowing business now? :confused:

Listen, the difference between you (home owner) and Mr. Richard Martin (Professional) is that he actually owns and operates his own business, he's not just cutting 3 property's for extra cash like you. I asked you nicely before to give it a rest with the Stihl bashing, but nope that won't happen so yet again here we are finding ourselves in the same argument. You have admitted on a PUBLIC forum that you have never owned nor used a piece of Stihl equipment and you keep bringing up your poll. Who cares about the d@mn poll, I asked you how many other Stihl users out there know nothing about LS and you never answered me because you don't know.

I'll go one step further than I have before when I said that you have an open invitation to try out my Stihls, that still stands, but if you happen to find yourself in or around my area of Jersey I'm going to PM you my Cell # and that why you can swing by and try them out and see what we happy 4Mix owners are saying.

Well we are a little far away to come to try out!!!!

I have to add one important point to clarify. I don't mean no disrespect regarding to the lawncare professional. The knowledge you guys have on plantation, lawn, all the plant stuff are a lot to learn, these are the stuff I have a lot of respect. I don't even dare to say a word on how to take care of plant. To me that is where you guys earn your keep. I am just mowing and trimming. I am by no means be little any of this, this is what is difficult for me, that is where your worth are, not the small engine stuff. Not me, I don't know much of plants. I know less than you guys forgot!!! I am just a small engine fanatic, use the excuse of lawn care to play. I was into model planes when I was young, cars in the 80s. Now cars are too remote from the engine. I find playing with simple small engine is very enjoyable. Just want to clarify this point, don't just think I disrespect you guys, just very into engines and want to talk.

I think the little engine stuff is a lot simpler and I don't think you guys are claiming to be expert in it. I tell you, all these back and fore, I might go out and buy one just to try it out. Just have to think of an excuse to give to my wife.

yungman
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
So, You have a lawn mowing business now? :confused:

One more thing I want to clarify. Even when I talk about 4MIx. I meant the engine only. I have no idea how the rest of the trimmer work, maybe it is the best in the world and I have no idea and I am not commenting anything on it. I kept thinking about you want me to try it out and others said they love it. If you think I am talk about the whole unit, then we are talking apple and orange.

I just talk about the engine, only engine, I don't know enough to judge the trimmer even if you show me one. I am not good at it at all. I just interested in the engine. Just like I can say the Toyata engine is more reliable than the Farrare( spelling?) engine. Which is absolutely true. That has absolutely nothing to do with how it drive and how good it perform.

Regarding to small engine, I don't feel I know that much less than you guys, the rest of lawn care, I have not even starting yet. I just mow and trim. I don't even know what grass is what, only scrubs I know is Boxwood just because I like it on one of the house around the block and I asked my lawncare guy to buy the same one.

Just want to make this point very very clear.

S man
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
This thing's getting crazy. Time to shut down the thread. They're all good!!! Redmax stihl. Just buy both and be happy. End of story!!

rob7233
04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
But Yungman, you felt SO compelled to rant on and bash the 4Mix Stihls and the C4 Shindaiwa. I own 3 Shindaiwa EB8510's and never had ANY ISSUES at all. Now I do check often and do any needed maintenance on them along with my other equipment (mostly Shindaiwa and some Stihl).

I've had no more or any worse issues with any of these 4Mix or C4 engines than I do with the 2 strokers I have. The thing is, we're not gonna get around the EPA restrictions and regulation much longer. With the newer equipment, they're running leaner so that requires checking the air filter more often. Low airflow will cause those engines to run too hot. They are not real forgiving to neglect or abuse or the ethanol fuel that's more commonly found but neither does the older two stroke equipment stuff like that fuel either... so just chill, MAN !! :drinkup: :drinkup: :cool2:

gunner27
04-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I love my 2-stroke equipment. Yungman, dude, why don't you just give it up..........

yungman
04-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I love my 2-stroke equipment. Yungman, dude, why don't you just give it up..........

What is you loving your 2 cycle have to do with me giving up. I don't understand what to give up, I have my opinion, no more, no less valid than anyone.

Richard Martin
04-22-2008, 05:41 AM
It is funny you need 40 years experience to talk about single cylinder engine.

You see, that's the thing about you. You don't know sqwat about me. Would you like to talk about multi cylinder 2 stroke engines? I was hotrodding motorcycle 2 strokes back in the 70's. Bikes like the 3 cylinder Suzuki GT-380, 2 cylinder Yamaha R-5 and RD-350.

I have seen the main problem that Stihl had with the BR600 engines that caused them to get a black eye back when the blower was first released. I also know that the problem has been fixed and there have been relatively few internal problems since then.

yungman
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
You see, that's the thing about you. You don't know sqwat about me. Would you like to talk about multi cylinder 2 stroke engines? I was hotrodding motorcycle 2 strokes back in the 70's. Bikes like the 3 cylinder Suzuki GT-380, 2 cylinder Yamaha R-5 and RD-350.

I have seen the main problem that Stihl had with the BR600 engines that caused them to get a black eye back when the blower was first released. I also know that the problem has been fixed and there have been relatively few internal problems since then.

I don't question your experience, I recent you questioning me on my ability of understanding small engine just because I am not a pro lawncare that I have no place in this forum. I recent that you accusing me being disruptive in this forum. I never claimed that I am expert on 2 cycles particular I clarify that I don't question pros here about lawncare. I spent a long time in my last two posts clarify this and I am not going over that again. I also have to clarify that I put 4Mix just because Stihl are lot more popular than Shindaiwa C4. I view them as same category. This is not a criticism on Stihl alone. Stihl make top rated 2 cycles and so is Shindaiwa.

I can accept people like Stihl 4Mix handling and performance, this is subjective and everyone entitle to their opinion particular if they vote with their pocket book.

Hybrid engines still have issue on deposit on the valves which cause failure. There are many posts support that. This is very different from my opinion on Amsoil which I use the scientific test result of one RC expert, you prove otherwise. The problems of hybrid are supported by many people here and in other forums. I had gone to the extend to put a poll on this issue and the result absolutely support my assertion. The poll is just simple STATISTIC, a scientific way of finding an answer. I have BIG problem with people calling me ignorant, disruptive and just homeowner when I point out the potential problem base on the result. When someone come and ask for opinion here, I think it would be just fair and decent to inform them how good the equipment is AND what is the potential down fall. This is not just about performance and handling, this is a tool that people depend on to work reliably. I think it is just as important for them to know how good they handle and perform together with the potential of having more problem. I absolutely not willing to back down from my assertion until I am proven wrong. By proving, I don’t mean one or two people use it and have no problem. I am talking about some scientific prove that they resolve the problem or some particular oil etc that prevent problem and have statistic or scientific prove.

BTW, I was into HOT ROD cars when I was young, I am known to have good mechanical aptitute also. But this is so beside the point.

saw man
04-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Dont try to argue with yungman, he think he knows it all by reading brochures and websites. He has SO much to say on equipment he has NEVER usedit is a joke!

He will say how he knows SO much about these engines but has yet to tear one down that was mentioned at the first of the thread.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

yungman
04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Dont try to argue with yungman, he think he knows it all by reading brochures and websites. He has SO much to say on equipment he has NEVER usedit is a joke!

He will say how he knows SO much about these engines but has yet to tear one down that was mentioned at the first of the thread.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You keep coming in, so what does that make you?

karol
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
:confused:Hey yungman i thought i mentioned to you that there is a homeowner thread. Read below it says for homeowners or property managers. :confused:

daveyo
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I have redmax and stihl equipment, the redmax blowers (8001) are easier to start and are a bit more powerful. Also the redmax blowers do not bog down like the Stihl blowers do. Redmax blowers seem to last about a season longer than did our stihl blowers. The Stihl blower is more comfortable, quiter and lighter feeling I suppose its more ergonomic. However they blow through fuel. Trimmers wise, we use 2600 series redmax and just purchased two more 2401s. The stihls are just to heavy and hard to start, but the redmax is also a hard cold start. So, I suppose it comes down to personal preference but most importantly what gives you the best return, that for me is redmax

S man
04-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I really am going redmax for now on. I do like my 85s but am ready to back with redmax trimmers as soon as possible. Might get one later this year.

Lazer_Z
04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
I have redmax and stihl equipment, the redmax blowers (8001) are easier to start and are a bit more powerful. Also the redmax blowers do not bog down like the Stihl blowers do. Redmax blowers seem to last about a season longer than did our stihl blowers. The Stihl blower is more comfortable, quiter and lighter feeling I suppose its more ergonomic. However they blow through fuel. Trimmers wise, we use 2600 series redmax and just purchased two more 2401s. The stihls are just to heavy and hard to start, but the redmax is also a hard cold start. So, I suppose it comes down to personal preference but most importantly what gives you the best return, that for me is redmax I can start my BR600 with 2 pulls using the choke ONLY!, no primer. As far as bogging down, I've never had that problem with my BR600. None of my Stihl's blow through fuel, I won't say they sip it, but still they don't blow through a tank in the blink of an eye either.

daveyo
05-01-2008, 01:01 AM
I can start my BR600 with 2 pulls using the choke ONLY!, no primer. As far as bogging down, I've never had that problem with my BR600. None of my Stihl's blow through fuel, I won't say they sip it, but still they don't blow through a tank in the blink of an eye either.

The problem with the br600 was and still is when the fuel gets to be about half full. The fuel swishes around, the filter floats up and air gets in the line, you'll hear the rpm's slow down a bit from the air in the line. The problem can be solved with a different fuel filter (echo) or washers on the fuel line. My Br600's were purchased in 05, this year when starting they really jump up it was actually starting last year, but is much worse now. Its as if the pully was 6", big pain in the azz. I still get better fuel consumption with the redmax, that stihl just sucks it up.

S man
05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Redmax from now on for me. Love my ebz7001 and eb7001 blowers.

S man
05-03-2008, 10:18 PM

ah so profound. I found this statement very funny. :laugh: