PDA

View Full Version : What size compressor/Impact wrench needed?

rpaton
03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello Gentleman, I am looking to buy an air driven impact wrench to remove
tires from my F-350's and trailers. I do have an electric compressor. It is a Craftsman (1.1 HP) 120 PSI. Is this sufficient for doing the job as I think I need a bigger unit. Also, what size Impact wrench is needed? I am looking for the minimum that would do these jobs as this is the hardest the compressor will be working.

Thanks!!

KTM
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
For trucks and common size trailers A 1/2 inch gun will work great and, the sockets will be affordable. Your compressor will work for short use of the gun but long runs it will be to small. I have had the most luck with medium priced guns $100-$250 I have used the expensive ones but they don't impress me much more for the money that they cost. Get a gun that has at least 600 lb torque in reverse.

Nozzleman
03-03-2008, 10:28 PM
I really wanted an impact gun but could never convince my wife we needed a compressor and all the accessories. So I bought an electric (corded) Dewalt 1/2 impact wrench. It has worked on everything I've thrown at it so far. I forget the price but I think it was under $200. However, I still want an air compressor.

btnj47
03-04-2008, 12:09 AM
prob. definitly need a bigger compressor but IR makes a 1/2 gun that kicks*#$
its the composit titainum gun forget the model number but could get it . I have this gun and use it on ford trucks everyday as my full time job is a diesel tech at a dealer

CLARK LAWN
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
IR 231 is a good all around impact very durable and plenty of power. Ive had mine for over ten years now and i was a mechanic for 6 of them. that compressor is a little to small you might get one lugnut off and then be out of air. i have one that is 5 hp with a 20 gallon tank and it even has trouble keeping up when im removing wheel lugs.