PDA

View Full Version : Leaf box

Janet1116
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on a leaf box to fit in the back of a 3/4 ton pickup. I have priced the ones from TruckCraft, but was wondering if one could be made for less. Anyone have any pictures or ideas. Thanks.

uniquechev
03-04-2008, 12:41 AM
go to home depot and make your own ! thats what i did to my 1500 chevy . cost was really cheep ! all i did was frame it out with 2x3 then used anchor bolts and locking nuts to bolt the 1/2" ply wood . using the anchor bolts you can take it apart easily if you need to .

uniquechev
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
this is what i did

Looking Good Lawn Service
03-04-2008, 01:09 AM
That is a good leaf box to put in a stationary bed, however, if you are going to be making alot of trips to unload, I would spend the 2 grand, get the dump insert and build a wooden sides roof and rear door. Will save you alot of headache, trust me, spend 150 on wood, 20 bucks on some hardware, and your are set. total $2,170+ or - .

Marcos
03-04-2008, 02:01 AM
If you have any mega-trucker-plexes in your area, where there are truck stops, repair stations, etc...you may have a "Mountain Tarp" franchise in your area.

I've seen the Mountain Tarp people in Cincinnati (now moved to Monroe, OH) do some beautiful work on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, and dump trucks...with something that actually LASTS you a few years !!

They'd first 'cage in' the future leaf holding area with a stainless steel frame, then they'd attach the (replacable) custom-made breathable tarp over top and around the frame; with access holes for the chute, and velcro straps for locking down the 'rear' flap.

(just envision what uniquechev posted...only with a stainless steel frame with nice trucker-quality tarp linking it all together)

CuttingEdge Landscaping
03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
How do you empty that truck? Do you use a load handler or pitch fork it out? If you do it by hand, how long does it take?

DBL
03-09-2008, 05:01 PM
do a search i know redmax man has a nice one on his dump insert and im sure theres a couple more guys

supercuts
03-09-2008, 09:47 PM
i agree with the dump insert, best money you'll spend. build the box off of the side rail brackets, drill some holes in them and bolt it down. when i started years ago, i did the load handler thing. just pulled it half way up the the front wall and stapled it up with staple hammer each load. it would pull hte hole load out like a giant brick. got real tough with we leaves though.

uniquechev
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
All i do is pitch fork and steel rake . takes me about 10 mins. it works for me right now ! Have to work for what i have adapt to what you have to work with .

BrandonV
03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
How do you empty that truck? Do you use a load handler or pitch fork it out? If you do it by hand, how long does it take?

put the vac in reverse duh!

uniquechev
03-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I could use the vac in reverse but its just faster to put a little elbow grease into unloading it . plus saves money on gas .

CT18fireman
03-12-2008, 11:12 PM
The problem with the dump insert is the weight. Even stainless and aluminum ones really cut into the capacity on a 3/4 ton truck, especially when you build a box and want to haul leaves.

When I started out, I built a box for my stationary truck bed and mounted the vac up front on my plow mount (now moved to my dump truck). Before filling I would place a pallet vertically against the front wall of the cab, it had a chain wrapped through and around, laid on the floor of the bed to the tailgate. At the place we dumped we would either hook to a tree or to the guys loader and pull forward. It would take most of the hardpacked leaves out and the rest were easy for fork out.

mowranger
10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
this is what i did

What do you think it weighs when full?

Signature Landscaping1
10-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I had a similar setup to uniquechev's last year. Except i used the stake pokets in my bed. I will post a pic of it later on.

punt66
10-15-2008, 05:24 PM
put the vac in reverse duh!

HAHAH doesnt work like that.

Dump insert and box is the way to go. Net tarp at Northern Tool. Works perfect. This is my insert and box. My vac is a swing away.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=96

punt66
10-15-2008, 05:28 PM
All i do is pitch fork and steel rake . takes me about 10 mins. it works for me right now ! Have to work for what i have adapt to what you have to work with .

There are other tricks to unload. You can use a palet. Set it in the front of the bed. Get a tow strap and hook it to the pallet and use another vehicle to tie the other end off to and pull the load out. Not always another vehicle around though so then the pitchfork would be next.

J&R Landscaping
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
i agree with the dump insert, best money you'll spend. build the box off of the side rail brackets, drill some holes in them and bolt it down. when i started years ago, i did the load handler thing. just pulled it half way up the the front wall and stapled it up with staple hammer each load. it would pull hte hole load out like a giant brick. got real tough with we leaves though.

After much debating, I bought me a dump insert earlier today. Got a great deal on it. Truckcraft TC-120 Aluminum unit. Just have to re-work my existing leaf box to fit on the unit once I get the insert installed!

RyansLandscaping87
10-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I just got our Little wonder truck loader last week, and we are very impressed with the results, and time saved on labor. We have it mounted on our F-450 Stake bed with solid sides. We took a trap and secured it really tight and cut a hole in the tarp. We then took a 8 inch corregated pipe and connected it to the hole its darn near air tight. Total cost for this was like $100.00 It cost me about $200 because it was a litte trial and error. But it works great. I will post pics of it. But I was also wondering where thes guys find these nice canvas arched tops for their stake beds they just look better on the back of the truck.

shovelracer
10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
What do you think it weighs when full?

5-6 yards tops. Most smaller vacs will pack them till they are around 200 lbs / yard. Of course if they are wet or you have a lot of dirt it goes up from there. My box on my 3/4 holds about 9 yards and Ive only gone overweight a few rare times. Ive packed it real hard and it holds a lot, but it wont slide out if you pack it rock hard.

uniquechev
10-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Its that time of season again and i'm ready to go this yr ! made myself some good money with my 1500 pu last yr and afforded a dump truck . Built a pretty big box this yr will post pics soon of the truck and new trailer etc.

Dodge Truck
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
this is what i did

Nice rake! lol or should i say lack there of...