PDA

View Full Version : Corroding battery cables

General Grounds
11-13-2001, 10:24 PM
:confused: no matter what i do on 2 of my machines the cables keep corroding at the terminal. I tried white grease, that did'nt work, also tried that terminal protector from the can, that did'nt work. Am i missing something?????Tony

Richard Martin
11-14-2001, 03:56 AM
Tony wrote:
Am i missing something?????

Perhaps!

You didn't say how often you are doing the cleaning. Even a supposedly "maintenance-free" battery needs maintenance from time to time.

If you are doing it more often then once or twice a year then I would check 2 things. First check the electrolite level in the battery. It could be getting low. Second check and see if the charging coil is putting out too much.

I have several factory service manuals here and if you tell me which engine you have I can see if I have the specs for your engine.

stslawncare
11-14-2001, 06:13 PM
doesnt baking soda and water work good?

LeoS818
11-14-2001, 07:13 PM
A batter that is not sealed and leaking around the post will corrode the cables fast.

XOFMOT
11-14-2001, 07:36 PM
A few years back I worked for a major golf car company as a service tech. and let me tell you, you have never seen corroded cables as much as I have! We tried everything in the world to stop it.... then we discovered roofing tar! yes the stuff you can buy in the gallon container to go up and re-seal around your chimney. We would remove the cables, clean the terminals (wire brush), put new cables on, hose the batteries down with a strong stream of water, let dry, then "PAINT" on the roofing tar sealing the post to the battery case. This stops the oxidation from starting with the batery acid that is emited from the battery caps during charge times. If you battery is a "MAINTENANCE" type (has removable caps), take a look at the caps themself. there should be a rubber seal for each cell that the cap covers and the caps also have vent holes in them to vent the battery during charging.....see where the vents are, they may be venting right onto a terminal, if so just rotate cap or swap caps around until they are positioned away from the terminals (posts).

General Grounds
11-15-2001, 08:40 PM
:blob3: thanks for the input guys, it was very helpful.T

stslawncare
11-15-2001, 09:41 PM
did any of them work?

General Grounds
11-16-2001, 06:16 AM
:blob3: have'nt tried yet but will let you know.T

Wangel
11-16-2001, 10:17 AM
Glue a penny to the top of a battery. The penny will attract the corrosion instead of the battery terminals. Use a drop of silicone sealer for glue. Some shops do this routinely for all battery sales. Change the penny after a few years of when it has corroded fully.

BRL
11-21-2001, 11:47 PM
They also sell Corrosion Prevention sprays & a paintable corrosion preventer like the described roof tar specifically for electrical connections. Look for it in an electrical supply place or Home Cheapo type stores in the electrical aisles. Works great & we use it on all of the plow connections too with great success.

HBFOXJr
11-22-2001, 08:01 AM
Go back to the LeoS post of leakage around the terminals. Are those 2 batteries different brands or cheaper models?

Atlantic Lawn
12-13-2001, 06:34 PM
Try the penny trick it really works.....one of the best uses left for the penny.

Jay NineteenLM
12-20-2001, 09:29 PM
Use Anti-Seize. It conducts elec and works very well. Depending on the Mfg., some will state on the can to use on battery terminals.
I cleaned the battery terminals on my truck 6 years ago and goobered the terminals up with anti-sieze. The battery went bad this year and when I removed it, the terminals looked like I had just cleaned them.
I learned this when working for a JD dealer.

Randy

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-28-2001, 04:44 PM
Yeah,,, I use the penny method on my truck and wifes car and dont have any corrosion since then about two years ago now.. Cheap tricks... LOL

bob
12-30-2001, 03:11 PM
While reading your "penny trick" , I thought you guys were joking. I've never heard of this, but I'm willing to try it.