PDA

View Full Version : Scalping Questions from a Newby

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Anyone,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am a newby. Try your best to cut me a little slack. I have a question about scalping Bermuda if you don't mind me asking. I'm in NC and we have a lot of Bermuda, but not a lot of the real pretty stuff...it's mostly common Bermuda (wiregrass). It really doesn't start to green up until mid to late April. When should I scalp? Exactly how short do I cut it when scalping? Scalping is a one time thing in the spring, before green up, right? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

UrbanGreen
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Im down in atlanta and weve got our fair share of bermuda as well. Ive only been in business for about 5yrs but from my experience and from talking with other LCO's I have learned there are quite a different ways to do it. Some guys will cut bermuda a quarter inch at a time progressively thu winter months alway into March. This way by April your lawns are already scalped and you dont have the hassle of a big cleanup from doing it all at once. What I have done is I start the beginning of March taking a little at a time. This works just as well for me. I try taking my lawns down as far as I can usually get 1/2" to 1". Usually this is a one time thing each year but I have had some customers want scalped again during summer. I hope this helps a little.

LLandscaping
03-03-2008, 10:59 PM
We gradually lower the Bermuda during the winter months so by March it is at the correct height. .

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Guys,

Just wanted to thank you both for clearing that up for me. I really appreciatel it.

JC