PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z Amazes Me

puppypaws
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I cut for the first time today, onions (wild garlic) and Henbit is really bad. I walked out and checked the oil in the 28 efi, got on the mower, turn the switch, it turned over twice and was purring like a kitten. I set the deck to cut at 2 1/2" and was cutting onions at 15 mph and not leaving a sprig standing.

The Hustler Super Z never ceases to amaze me how it will cut at 15 mph and do an excellent job in my situation. When you mow onions and get a clean cut at 8 mph is one thing but when you can do it at 15 mph is really unbelievable. These are fusion blades that were sharpened 8 hrs. back so they are not new dead perfect blades by any stretch of the imagination, I cut through a tremendous number of fire ant mounds.

I have cut many, many acres with this mower and it still blows my mind every time I mow and see how much area I can cover in such a short period of time.

Cutting low is what makes the difference, if I attempted to cut those same onions at 3 1/4" or above I would have to cut the speed in half and would still see a straggler all along.

It is really a joy to get on a mower that cranks, runs and cuts that well, especially with that speed.

DuraCutter
03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I cut for the first time today, onions (wild garlic) and Henbit is really bad. I walked out and checked the oil in the 28 efi, got on the mower, turn the switch, it turned over twice and was purring like a kitten. I set the deck to cut at 2 1/2" and was cutting onions at 15 mph and not leaving a sprig standing.

The Hustler Super Z never ceases to amaze me how it will cut at 15 mph and do an excellent job in my situation. When you mow onions and get a clean cut at 8 mph is one thing but when you can do it at 15 mph is really unbelievable. These are fusion blades that were sharpened 8 hrs. back so they are not new dead perfect blades by any stretch of the imagination, I cut through a tremendous number of fire ant mounds.

I have cut many, many acres with this mower and it still blows my mind every time I mow and see how much area I can cover in such a short period of time.

Cutting low is what makes the difference, if I attempted to cut those same onions at 3 1/4" or above I would have to cut the speed in half and would still see a straggler all along.

It is really a joy to get on a mower that cranks, runs and cuts that well, especially with that speed.

It's a great machine and you should be proud!

It's too bad it will contribute to a certain degree, a small one, to the lowering of prices in the industry. It does the work quickly and that's where some lcos will lower their prices. I know they shouldn't but can you legislate common sense. NO. Can you force them to understand investment, return on investment and better profits. NO.

It's too bad that cutting grass can't absorb better thecnology without shooting itself in the foot. It's all caused by poor planning and little financial training in the industry itself.

Enjoy the machine, it's a fantastic piece of equipment.

:)

TNT LawnCare Inc.
03-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Could'nt agree with you more puppypaws , ive also taken this mower on hills .Holds like no othe ZTR ive ever used. Of course i dont mow the hills at 15 MPH. Hope you didnt get ANTS in the Pants !:laugh:

Bluestem
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
They are great machines. They cut well, cover ground quick and they ride beautifully compared to others I have tried. I haven't had any significant downtime with them.

kleankutslawn
03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
i must agree,it is a great machine

puppypaws
03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Could'nt agree with you more puppypaws , ive also taken this mower on hills .Holds like no othe ZTR ive ever used. Of course i dont mow the hills at 15 MPH. Hope you didnt get ANTS in the Pants !:laugh:

That is kinda funny now that you have mentioned it. I run so fast that sometimes I don't see the fire ant mounds quick enough if they aren't really big. I have hit them and not notice but they would fly up on the mower and the next thing I know they are eating me alive around my ankles and legs. They will make you stop real fast to get them knocked off.

ProStreetCamaro
03-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Its kind of funny how some people have luck with a certain mower and others dont. It cuts great for you puppypaws and I have read numerous posts where people werent impressed. I even assisted 1 guy last year in getting hustler to buy his mower back because it cut so bad and was in the shop more than on his lawns. I guess it really comes down to what a person has luck with.

cybervision
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Its kind of funny how some people have luck with a certain mower and others dont. It cuts great for you puppypaws and I have read numerous posts where people werent impressed. I even assisted 1 guy last year in getting hustler to buy his mower back because it cut so bad and was in the shop more than on his lawns. I guess it really comes down to what a person has luck with.

I couldn't agree with you more. My Hustler would not cut well even at 5MPH. But then I was cutting at 3-1/2" in think grass. This was confirmed by Hustler before they purchased the mower back.

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM

I think it has more to do with the height I cut at, cutting at a lower height gives more suction and lets me cut very fast. I will say in my conditions, which is southern grasses that tend to be more rigid it does an excellent job. When you can cut onions, dandelions and all the other junk thrown in at the speeds I run and not double cut, things are working about as well as can be expected. I would expect it not to do as good a job in the plush moisture laden grasses up north, especially cutting at 3 1/2" or more, it just does not have the suction at higher deck heights.

The application in which I use the Super Z, there probably is not a mower on the market with as good a lower height cut at 15 mph. It is really hard to compare because I need speed and productivity, there is a great deal of difference in cutting at 12 mph versus 15, it is really hard to realize until you experience it.

I couldn't agree with you more. My Hustler would not cut well even at 5MPH. But then I was cutting at 3-1/2" in think grass. This was confirmed by Hustler before they purchased the mower back.

What was Hustler's reasoning behind your problem? They had to have some idea of why their mower would not cut in your conditions.

cybervision
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
What was Hustler's reasoning behind your problem? They had to have some idea of why their mower would not cut in your conditions.

The answer never did get completely nailed down. Believe it or not the only real answer I got was ”I should Double Cut that’s what a lot of people do. It looks fine after double cutting." And it did going slow in the summer when they were out. But that still would not work in the spring.

To start off I need to say I had a 52/25 Super Mini Z. There were several issues that I was trying to sort out.

1. The dispersion on that deck was bad. Most of the grass came out of the very front of the baffle. This caused the clippings to be thick and heavy.

2. At speeds of 5MPH or above the cut was starting to be uneven and there was some stragglers left.

3. In sections where the grass was sparse, I was getting lots of stragglers’. (This was not a big concern because that section is now thicker)

We tried a lot of different things from tilting the deck forward and back to using different blades. The best combo I found was double gators. The problem with the gator though was lift. I should have tried High lifts with Gators on top. However the mower should not needed all this tweaking. Also, in the spring I had areas that I kept going over and could not get rid of the clipping. Finally, My neighbor came over with his Exmark and catcher and cleaned up the mess.

Both the dealer and the Hustler Rep said all I have to do is double cut to get rid of the clippings. And for this to be successful I had to leave them dry a bit first. I also tried the 60” Super Z on the property and it was better but not perfect or as good as my old Bunton 60” walk behind. I could have traded up to the 60” machine but was afraid that may still not work well.

After I tried a JD 60” 757 and it cut so well I decided to give up on Hustler. The Deere cut and dispersed the clipping well at any speed even up to its top end of only 9MPH. It was rough riding though. I was not impressed with the machine but the cut was amazing. And clippings are fanned out far and wide.

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
The answer never did get completely nailed down. Believe it or not the only real answer I got was ”I should Double Cut that’s what a lot of people do. It looks fine after double cutting." And it did going slow in the summer when they were out. But that still would not work in the spring.

To start off I need to say I had a 52/25 Super Mini Z. There were several issues that I was trying to sort out.

1. The dispersion on that deck was bad. Most of the grass came out of the very front of the baffle. This caused the clippings to be thick and heavy.

2. At speeds of 5MPH or above the cut was starting to be uneven and there was some stragglers left.

3. In sections where the grass was sparse, I was getting lots of stragglers’. (This was not a big concern because that section is now thicker)

We tried a lot of different things from tilting the deck forward and back to using different blades. The best combo I found was double gators. The problem with the gator though was lift. I should have tried High lifts with Gators on top. However the mower should not needed all this tweaking. Also, in the spring I had areas that I kept going over and could not get rid of the clipping. Finally, My neighbor came over with his Exmark and catcher and cleaned up the mess.

Both the dealer and the Hustler Rep said all I have to do is double cut to get rid of the clippings. And for this to be successful I had to leave them dry a bit first. I also tried the 60” Super Z on the property and it was better but not perfect or as good as my old Bunton 60” walk behind. I could have traded up to the 60” machine but was afraid that may still not work well.

After I tried a JD 60” 757 and it cut so well I decided to give up on Hustler. The Deere cut and dispersed the clipping well at any speed even up to its top end of only 9MPH. It was rough riding though. I was not impressed with the machine but the cut was amazing. And clippings are fanned out far and wide.

That was very detailed and I appreciate the good description of your problem.

Hustler reads this site and I hope they realize you can't have the problems you described and keep selling this type machine. You attack that type problem with vengeance until it is totally resolved.

cybervision
03-04-2008, 03:56 PM
The shame of it is I really loved the rest of the machine. Hustler has put a lot of time and thought into their products. It is by far the best handling mower out there. The sticks are a dream. They do have some minor issues but Hustler is always improving there products and working on issues.

As we discussed in another thread I do think they went the wrong direction with the XR7 and 52" decks. They have the blades right up against the front baffle to create a fast moving channel. This is what is causing the lift and dispersion problems. That is why the 7IronII will cut anything.

If Hustler will make the deck more like JD or Scag they would have the best machine out there.

Mickhippy
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Cyber, I have heard that if you put the older, shorter spindles on the xr7 deck it will cut much better on your Northern grass's. This is because the deck is still low but the blades are cutting higher inside the deck. Basically, it has much better vacuum.
You would have to rethink the cutting height adjustment to where the blades are. I think theres about an inch difference in the spindles, the older being shorter so setting the deck at say 2.5", your actually cutting at 3.5".
It was an Aussie contractor that cuts same grass as you Northerners who figured it out!

grass disaster
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
well i'll be mowing at 13mph with my everride so i won't be too far behind you.
i'll have to see how it cuts at the higher heights.

property around here is not always wide open so i think i'll be very happy with 13.

my last mower went 9-10.

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
The shame of it is I really loved the rest of the machine. Hustler has put a lot of time and thought into their products. It is by far the best handling mower out there. The sticks are a dream. They do have some minor issues but Hustler is always improving there products and working on issues.

As we discussed in another thread I do think they went the wrong direction with the XR7 and 52" decks. They have the blades right up against the front baffle to create a fast moving channel. This is what is causing the lift and dispersion problems. That is why the 7IronII will cut anything.

If Hustler will make the deck more like JD or Scag they would have the best machine out there.

I understand where you are coming from. I am just fortunate that in my situation (lower heights, southern grass) it does a wonderful job, could not ask for it to be better. The only thing I would change is a much higher hp efi engine, I have always liked to much power instead of marginal.

When I stopped by my dealer today I jumped on a Bobcat Predator Pro with a 37 hp Kawasaki. This is a 13 1/2 mph mower but it felt considerably slower than my Super Z, when I came back I told my dealer it was a nice mower but did not come close to the ride and smooth operation of my Super Z, he just smiled and nodded his head up and down.

tb8100
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
The only thing I would change is a much higher hp efi engine, I have always liked to much power instead of marginal.

Call up Hustler and tell them you want a Super Z with the new 34 Vanguard! :weightlifter:

puppypaws
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Call up Hustler and tell them you want a Super Z with the new 34 Vanguard! :weightlifter:

I have talked with Hustler and they are working on more hp for the Super Z. I asked them what was taking them so long because the other manufactures already had the higher hp choices. The statement I got was, "we want to make sure every component of our mower will handle the higher hp and torque and believe some of the other mowers are going to see component problems if they did not strengthen what was already in place".

I really don't know if this was a legitimate answer or they were just talking around me at the time, but I do know they are working on the higher hp application.

I definitely want it to be an efi vertical shaft engine. I think the Vanguard is a horizontal shaft efi.

To help you understand the difference I am talking about, I cut grass for the first time of the year yesterday. I walked up, checked the oil in my 28 efi got in the seat, turned the key and the engine turned over twice, cranked right up and purred like a kitten. The engine was running as smooth in 15 seconds as any carburetor type engine which had been warming up for 10 minutes.

I went by my dealer's today and got on a Bobcat Predator Pro with a 37 hp Kawasaki to drive it around a little. I pulled the choke, it fired right up then cut off before I could ease the choke back. I turned it over again with the choke out eased it back a little and it cut off again. I turned it over again, it cranked right up and I moved the choke very quickly back to about 20% and let it run for about 20 seconds pushed the choke off and drove away. The carburetor type engines are just more finicky starting and stopping, as a matter of fact when I switched off the 37 Kawasaki it backfired.

The efi operates so much smoother, cranking, switching off and the response is much, much better and quicker when it needs to be. The first chance you get operate a mower with the efi then come back and tell me what you think.

tacoma200
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM

That pretty much sums up the problems I was having.

tacoma200
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I agree, there were so many things I liked about my Hustler (Super Z in my case). Still the best handling most comfortable ZTR I've been on.

S L C
06-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Which blades were/are you using on your 757 that work so well??? thanks....:waving::waving:

tacoma200
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Old post but relevant. Almost word for word the problems I was having in our turf.

cybervision
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Which blades were/are you using on your 757 that work so well??? thanks....:waving::waving:

The 757 had the stock blades. It was a brand new machine that I did a demo on. Once I used the 757 I decided that the Hustler had to go.

After driving the Hustler I did not like the sticks at all on the 757 so I lined up a demo on a 60" Scag. Maybe it was because I was used to the best handling machine made. I thought the Scag would be perfect since it has a similar open deck design like the 757. When the dealer came over with the Scag he brought along a Exmark AS. I tried both machines and the UltraCut performed slightly better on my lawn. The grass was damp that day. My grass is wet more than it is not because of the clay and poor drainage. It only dries out if we have a couple days of good sun. If not it is wet with standing water in spots. So far this spring it has not been dry yet.

This is when Tacoma really helped me out. Because of my wet conditions he said the UltraCut would do better than the Velocity. He was running both so figured he should know. Also, I saw a lot of his post and he really seams to be right on with his advice. So I purchased a 27Hp Lazer with the UltraCut Deck. I wanted more power but last year that was the largest motor available with the UltraCut. Odd since now they basically went back to the UltraCut. I wanted more power in case I get the UltraVac. Turns out I am using the power now. I have thick grass and many times we can’t get on some or all of the lawn for 2 weeks. Then we end up cut 6 or 8” off. I have found out what works best for me is to run doubles. Scag Mulching blades over Exmark Highlifts. I cut in 3 sections and s long as there is some sun then the will clipping dry out I can back over them and they are turned into dust.

Thanks Tacoma your advice was right on.

Maple Wood
06-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I have an 08 Super Z 27 hp Kohler with a 60" deck. I love this machine, rides nice and is very productive. I agree with the thought that it cuts better lower than it does higher. One complaint that I have is that when the grass is wet you get a lot of build up under the deck. Unless you scrape it frequently it clumps horribly. On my next Z I will get a bigger motor. The large pumps take a lot of power.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I demo'd a Hustler (along with everything else) last year and it was a good mower, but by no means a great mower. I could never get the mower to cut properly over about 6mph which in the grass down here is about average for any of them with a few being worse.

The 15mph transport speed is pretty meaningless but makes for nice sales pitches. The dealer kept telling me over and over again about the 15MPH speed.... when I asked him if he'd cut 8" St. Augustine with one at 15mph he shut up about it. The mower cut no faster than our Exmarks and slightly slower than the Bobcats.

The cut quality was only average (which doesn't mean bad) and clipping dispersal was not impressive.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
What kind of turf were you cutting at 2.5? On Bermuda, 3" to 3.25 is as short as I cut... On Fescue 3.75 to 4.5. I don't think my machine will even come close to 2.5 without cutting more dirt than grass. My deck height is actual, btw. Show us pics of your antiscalp wheels as well;)

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Also, in the spring I had areas that I kept going over and could not get rid of the clipping. Finally, My neighbor came over with his Exmark and catcher and cleaned up the mess.
That had to be embarrassing. I'd feel like the mower had let me down and sold it.

dave k
06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Reid, How many hours do you have on your Super now?
Dave