PDA

View Full Version : This is the lawn i am going to give an estimate on in the morning.

bigw
03-04-2008, 12:01 AM
What would you charge?

Green Pastures
03-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Do they want it bagged?

Mow, blow and go only?

Any fert or weed control?

Are they willing to sign a contract for a year? 2 Years?

Any fences I need to worry about?

What equipment will you use?

Pet poop?

Irrigation?

All the lawns around them look to be in better shape. Greener and looks like they have been side discharging with all the yellow strips.

mowing grass 1111
03-04-2008, 12:05 AM
$110-$120...........mow And Blow.. MAYBE A LITTLE MORE IS THAT A FENCE THAT RUNS AROUND THE BACK OF THE PROPERTY
sorry about the caps

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
thats a big lawn, im sure its a 100 dollars easy

see if you can get out of him what he was getting previously charged and let us know!

also see why he is looking to switch, service, price?

03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey BigW,

I am brand new also-- but my newbi eye says I would charge 1.25-1.5 hours. Thats the same size as my parents yard, and with a 54" craftsman rider I can mow the whole thing in under 2 hours, and we have about 50 more huge oak trees then that, and thats taking "beverage" breaks.(in the spring I will tell you how long it takes with a 66" Lazer :) ) I dont know your equipment, but I would think a large Z could mow that in an hour, then its just however long it takes you to trim, and I guess it depends alot on if they want you to trim perfect all those perimeter trees.

Oh, and do you have to edge all that? I was not including edging in my time estimate.

On a side note-- do you mind if I lift word for word your "from the owner and operator" paragraph from your postcard? I really liked that, I am gonna post my proof in your other thread, cause it uses your ideas.

bigw
03-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Do they want it bagged?

Mow, blow and go only?

Any fert or weed control?

Are they willing to sign a contract for a year? 2 Years?

Any fences I need to worry about?

What equipment will you use?

Pet poop?

Irrigation?

All the lawns around them look to be in better shape. Greener and looks like they have been side discharging with all the yellow strips.

Mow, edge, trim ,blow, Weekly with year contract...im just looking for this price. Anything else will be billed seperately as needed! Thats a big fence around the back yard..you can see it. You have to have a fence if you have a pool in this state! they dont want it bagged and my price's are not based off of which mower i use, i know my customers dont care if it takes me 2 hrs or 8 hrs they just want a price.

bigw
03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey BigW,

I am brand new also-- but my newbi eye says I would charge 1.25-1.5 hours. Thats the same size as my parents yard, and with a 54" craftsman rider I can mow the whole thing in under 2 hours, and we have about 50 more huge oak trees then that, and thats taking "beverage" breaks.(in the spring I will tell you how long it takes with a 66" Lazer :) ) I dont know your equipment, but I would think a large Z could mow that in an hour, then its just however long it takes you to trim, and I guess it depends alot on if they want you to trim perfect all those perimeter trees.

Oh, and do you have to edge all that? I was not including edging in my time estimate.

On a side note-- do you mind if I lift word for word your "from the owner and operator" paragraph from your postcard? I really liked that, I am gonna post my proof in your other thread, cause it uses your ideas.

not a problem at all and good luck with the card!!!!:weightlifter:

jc1
03-04-2008, 07:13 AM
"my price's are not based off of which mower i use, i know my customers dont care if it takes me 2 hrs or 8 hrs they just want a price"

In effect we are selling time. So even though a customer doesn't care how long it takes or what size mower we use it needs to be factored in. If 68k takes 2.0 hours with a small mower and 1.0 hour with a large mower we need to charge more using a smaller mower. Other wise our average hourly rate drops considerably.
That size lawn in my area would be $80 mow, trim, blow as long it could be done with a 52 or 61. If the back gate was small and we needed to use a 36 back there it would bump it up to $95

d&rlawncare
03-04-2008, 07:27 AM
$201-$265 depending on the amount of trimming. How much time did YOU estimate it will take you?

hackitdown
03-04-2008, 07:41 AM
67K sq ft of lawn is a lot of grass.

The stripes in the back look big, you may be able to get a big mower back there. If I could do the whole thing with a 52 ztr, discharging the clippings, it would be about an hour of mowing. It looks like a boatload of trimming...pool, fences, patios, lots of trees in front. I'd go for at least $95 based on 1.5 hrs working solo. If it needs to be bagged, it would be $125 minimum, maybe even more since you can't dump the clippings on site.

It looks like a house where the owner may have some extra income, so you may be able to add a couple of dollars to the average price.

Remember to compare this deal to an average little $40 lawn. If you could do 4 lawns at $40 in the same amount of time, then you need to charge $160. Like jc1 said above, you are selling time.

Penscape Landscaping
03-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Here that would be bid out around $85 per. I could do it solo in about 1.25 hours depending on double cutting. Good luck I hope you get it!

Budget
03-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Man that looks like allot of trimming. This what i do when looking at something that big. Walk all the trimming areas about how fast you would using a string trimmer and time your self that will give you a close estimate of how long it will take you just to trim. You could also ride your Z with the trimmer to all those tree's that outline the property and trim first. I like to trim first before i cut any way. To me that looks a little bigger then 67000, but it is hard to tell from the air. Do you own a wheel measure? If so go out and get the dimension yourself.

Good luck with your bid.

Indy Kyle
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Wow BigW. youve got people telling you anywhere from $85 to $265. Hope that helps. You shouldnt need to be asking people what they would charge. Only you know how long it will take you because only you have been to the property and only you know your costs. You seem like a smart guy, are you going to give an estimate just because joe schmo on lawansite said that's what you should charge?

Classified
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
$201-$265 depending on the amount of trimming. How much time did YOU estimate it will take you?

ha! those are the same #s i came up with.

between $3-4 per 1000ft2

bohiaa
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I'[m a little higher than a lot of people but my charge would be around 175 to 200 a visit

You will have clipping in the pool that u have to clean out, and there is a lot of blowing off the driveway and such
there will be tree limbs to deal with, dead ones or ones that will hit u while on the mower
we always trim thses...

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED

lawnpro724
03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Your going to be mowing a acre and a half at 67,000sqf then your going to have around 30-45min trim time and 10-15min blow time. I wouldn't do it for less than $125.00 a week or more depending on how much more work there is.

bohiaa
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Wow BigW. youve got people telling you anywhere from $85 to $265. Hope that helps. You shouldnt need to be asking people what they would charge. Only you know how long it will take you because only you have been to the property and only you know your costs. You seem like a smart guy, are you going to give an estimate just because joe schmo on lawansite said that's what you should charge?

I was noticing this too,

were in diffrent parts of the country... bUT come on guys we all need to be on the same page,,,,

looks like some of us are very high while others are pretty low

1MajorTom
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I was noticing this too,

were in diffrent parts of the country... bUT come on guys we all need to be on the same page,,,,

That would be scary if eveyone was on the same page. Because everyone's COB is different. And based on COB is where fluctuation will come into play. Keep in mind, I'm sure some prices are just being thrown out there when it comes to these types of threads, "what should I charge", but COB is an important factor when estimating.

d&rlawncare
03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
ha! those are the same #s i came up with.

between $3-4 per 1000ft2

It look likes we have the samenidea for pricing and without seeing it in person I cant give any better price.

This question is to the ORIGINAL POSTER- how much time do you estimate it will take you? from the ime you drop your gate til you pull away?

bigw
03-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Omg come on man, i was simply making conversation and basically just seeing what you guys would charge...no one dictates my price's not even LCO'S in my area. I didnt ask so i would know a price i just thought with the size it would be fun to see the difference's.

Indy Kyle
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Cool, I hear ya Bigdub. Did you meet them this morning? If so what did you tell them?

Frue
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Can you fit a z in that fence? If you can 118.00 if not I would have to see the square ft in that fenced area.

bigw
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Well here's the update...I did not get nor did i want the job after spending 5 mins with this dope. So i get their and the first thing i noticed is the front lawn has 2 major hills that you dont notice in the picture and then she has a fence surrounding some of the back lawn but alot is on the other side of the fence along the road.
Anyway she comes out and the first thing she says is " I dont like how my guy now is doing the edging" I say oh so you already have someone so why did you call me,she says im " shopping price"..OK i understand this. I proceed to chat with her alittle and then i get to the point because i can already tell she is going to be the biggest pita.
I quote her a price of 125 a week which i personally thought might be alittle to low but i could tell i was in for a battle so i didnt want to go to high either. Now mind you she wanted every flower bed {8} real long driveway, long walks front and back and every tree edged every week. She said " you aint even in the ball park"...I thought to myself THANK GOD!!!!
Then she proceeds to tell me that her guy now only charges 60$ a week...my only comment was yeah and thats why you called me because you get what you pay for and i said thanks but no thanks i would be giving you money at that price. All i could say as i left was Thank you jesus!!!

bigw
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I did get one weekly account at 55.00 for a 14,000 sqft lawn along with a 250 spring clean up and a $1,590 {$1,000 profit} mulch job all from this same house...3,222 sqft or 20yds of mulch, and then i got a spring clean up from some other lady for $300 + $40 to bag her leves so all in all it was a great day!
You would never believe how i got the weekly account, i was outside my house working on building a 5 course garden wall around my flower bed when this old guy walks up to me with his address written down on a piece of paper and says do you also do lawn work? He says his guy from last year never shows and wants to get someone knew,i went to his house which is 3 blocks from me and i got the job above! That was way cool!

03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I did get one weekly account at 55.00 for a 14,000 sqft lawn along with a 250 spring clean up and a $1,590 {$1,000 profit} mulch job all from this same house...3,222 sqft or 20yds of mulch, and then i got a spring clean up from some other lady for $300 + $40 to bag her leves so all in all it was a great day!
You would never believe how i got the weekly account, i was outside my house working on building a 5 course garden wall around my flower bed when this old guy walks up to me with his address written down on a piece of paper and says do you also do lawn work? He says his guy from last year never shows and wants to get someone knew,i went to his house which is 3 blocks from me and i got the job above! That was way cool!

you suck.. haha jusk kidding. GOOD JOB MAN!

hey, how early in the season is it there? When do you expect to start cleanups, and when do you expect weekly mowings to start?

Here I am hoping for cleanups to start early april, and consistant weekly mowing to start 3-4th week of april.

customcurbdesigns
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM

Great work.

But I thought in the other thread you said the guy that wanted the mulch wasnt sure and you said he felt like the price was high.

Did he come around yet or no?

d&rlawncare
03-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Well here's the update...I did not get nor did i want the job after spending 5 mins with this dope. So i get their and the first thing i noticed is the front lawn has 2 major hills that you dont notice in the picture and then she has a fence surrounding some of the back lawn but alot is on the other side of the fence along the road.
Anyway she comes out and the first thing she says is " I dont like how my guy now is doing the edging" I say oh so you already have someone so why did you call me,she says im " shopping price"..OK i understand this. I proceed to chat with her alittle and then i get to the point because i can already tell she is going to be the biggest pita.
I quote her a price of 125 a week which i personally thought might be alittle to low but i could tell i was in for a battle so i didnt want to go to high either. Now mind you she wanted every flower bed {8} real long driveway, long walks front and back and every tree edged every week. She said " you aint even in the ball park"...I thought to myself THANK GOD!!!!
Then she proceeds to tell me that her guy now only charges 60$ a week...my only comment was yeah and thats why you called me because you get what you pay for and i said thanks but no thanks i would be giving you money at that price. All i could say as i left was Thank you jesus!!!

My $201-$265 just turned into $265 with the hills (major), fence you described.

Looking at the prop how long would you have been there with the mow/trim/blow only? For some reason you dont want to answer this. Unless I missed it already and if so I'm sorry.

bigw
03-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Great work.

But I thought in the other thread you said the guy that wanted the mulch wasnt sure and you said he felt like the price was high.

Did he come around yet or no?

That was a different guy and i have not heard back from him yet!

bill8379
03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
$60/ week oh man.. I would have punched her, lol. J/K

No wonder her lawn looks like crap, it looks half dead.

bigw
03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
That was a different guy and i have not heard back from him yet!

yes i did have 2 mulch jobs in 2 days of 20.5 yrds and 20 yrds each.I atleast got the one for sure...contract signed!

bigw
03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
My $201-$265 just turned into $265 with the hills (major), fence you described.

Looking at the prop how long would you have been there with the mow/trim/blow only? For some reason you dont want to answer this. Unless I missed it already and if so I'm sorry.

I did not mention it because today was the first time i went their but id say atleast 2 1/2-3 1/2 hrs because she had a ton of trimming and edging!

RGM
03-05-2008, 12:13 AM
between $80-110 depending on a closer look

topsites
03-05-2008, 04:44 AM
I would've quoted 75-80 but then I don't offer sub-standard services.
You did the right thing, try and calm down a bit thou.

One thing I learned is when the bs starts don't say nothing, just stand there, looking stupid might help.
Then if things don't improve you just start walking away, you did your job, time to go.

d&rlawncare
03-05-2008, 06:28 AM
okay so between $36-$50 an hour depending on if its 2.5 or 3.5.

at my estimate I gave you $201 between $57 and $80 an hour at 2.5-3.5 hours
AND
at my high end $265 between $75-$106 an hour at 2.5-3.5 hours

NOTHING against you I am just comparing my formula I use against when I estimate things with timne and this was a good chance to do it knowing the sqft and not being abl to actually see the prop in person. So at my easy rate $201 I would have been at $57-80 an hour lets just call it $73 and my hard rate at 75-106 or lets just say $90 an hour.

For me thats exactly in the ball park I want to be.

I dont think you would have wanted it for anything less than $170. JMO

QualityLawnCare4u
03-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Sixty a week for this!! Dang! As bad as my area is this would go for at least 150! Don't you enjoy wasting time and gas to go look at a lawn like this to get insulted. Its terrible when someone has a nice place like this wants it done for free. Oh yeah, I know the kind, I am snooty and important and you are just a lowly yardboy:hammerhead: