PDA

View Full Version : How many of you work in Public Service??

memac259
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Seems like this fits in with hours and lifestyles of law enforcement and fire fighters. How many of you do lawn care and are police, corrections, firefighters, etc???

Mimowerman
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Full time LCO / Paid on call firefighter .... Hope to be full time FFer soon !!!

ffemt1271
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
fulltime firefighter/EMT and full time LCO here latelty.;):usflag:

meets1
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I am not a fire/police/rescue person. I know 3 guys that are and not to jump on any toes here but I hate these guys doing/trying to do what I and other LCO/landscapers do. Sure they may mow a few lawns for beer, install a few landscapes, but never fails, they call me or others for advice, or if I can go dig something out or haul something away or help finish a job because there 3 day fulltime stint is hard to get a job done on time, work weekends and then leave for a couple days again when the homeowner is getting angry b/c there working there on a sunday or its been 3-4 days since the crew as been there or now that the grass is a ft tall they call me to cut it for this time b/c they can't bag that much with there little craftsman. Nice guys and all but come on already.

smoothbore2004
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
MEETS1 are you serious, dont lump all of us public service guys together. My business was growing so fast due to word of mouth and not one bit of advertising, I ended up selling the business because I couldnt do all the work myself and try to hire someone to take over while I am at the station well lets just say I got tired of all the phone messages complaining how bad of a job my workers had done. Yes I tried to hire more than one to do the work and nobody seems to understand how to manicure lawns, everyone just wants to cut grass. It sounds like the guys that are mad about public service ppl doing this on the side are jelous because they know we are getting paid regardless of what the economy does. Dont hate the player, hate the game. Now I got to go to the station and save a life or two for my measily $38000 a year. Thats right $38000

progressivelawncare
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
i am a volunteer firefighter in a rural area. full time lawncare and landscaping.

Stinchcomb Lawn
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Police Chief here !! I work every day after I get off and all weekend. Most of the time we are working with the headlights from the truck but it always gets done.

MEETS1 opnions are like azz holes everyone has one !!

meets1
03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Nothing met towards you guys but sometimes around my area it seems that the lco/landscaper guys are staying busy but need to scratch for things due to 3-5 people dapplin the business of HGTV want-to-be's. The other thing that drives me nuts is snow removal around my area. Every farmer has a loader and tractor and always under bidding everyone for plowing lots. They can't make a living, they need to push snow, they need to work construction/drive truck/etc to make ends meet. Like whatever - the ones I know that are doing this farm 1000+ acres, 4-5 hog confinements, maybe a chicken laying house building or two or 100's head of cattle.

Just venting to the local guys so go save a life or two and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors!

memac259
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Wasn't trying to create controversy....I work in corrections and just thought alot of lawn care also work in public service. I don't know about anyone else but I take care of my customers, never needed anyone "full time" bailing me out..............by the way, even though I have a full time job, I still put in 50-60 hours a week working lawn care as my "part-time" job!

ffemt1271
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
we have everyother day off and every 10 days we get 6 in a row, i own only commercial equipment. i dont call on anyone to finish my work for me--thats why it's my work. i make more $ in lawn care than at the FD.sometimes i have guys out while i am at work too. i am insured and licensed. DONT THINK THAT ALL FIREMEN/POLICE/EMS guys ARE SCRUBS:usflag:

CLARK LAWN
03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
MEETS i know were you are coming from on this. i am a volunteer FF and the nieghboring town is career, all they do is bad mouth/disrespect us for being volunteers and taking away union jobs but its ok for them to go out and mow/plow snow on the side for alot less than it should go for becuase they dont have to depend on it for anything but beer or vacation money.

memac259
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately I do this for more than beer or vacation money!!

ffemt1271
03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
MEETS i know were you are coming from on this. i am a volunteer FF and the nieghboring town is career, all they do is bad mouth/disrespect us for being volunteers and taking away union jobs but its ok for them to go out and mow/plow snow on the side for alot less than it should go for becuase they dont have to depend on it for anything but beer or vacation money.

man, i would be on vacation a long time and drinking lots of beer it that were true:usflag:

think about this: the oil companies screw you out of more money than the fireman down the street ever could, but noone hardly bashes an oil co. though

Nozzleman
03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Ha, this thread makes me laugh. I just started posting here after almost a five year hiatus and there's yet another thread on the FD/PD employed two hatters. I personally am a full time F/F in the Northeast and I am giving serious consideration to re-entering the lawn care business. Back in September of 2003 I sold off my business due to several factors. However, even though I was a full time F/F I considered myself a LCO professional. I had insurance, top notch equipment, and was legit in terms of uncle sams cut of the pie. I priced my work on the high end of the local scale and never stole a job from anyone.

What bugs me is the folks who think it's wrong for anyone to work a side job. This is the USA and I'll work part time doing whatever I want including lawn care. Yes, I'm blessed to have what I feel is the best job in the world. Of course this is my opinion and I understand others don't feel as such. But I'll be damned if I'm not going to hustle and earn another buck or two on my day's off.

In my area there are LCO's everywhere because nobody wishes to mow there own lawn's anymore. Some LCO's are top shelf professionals while others are bottom feeders who embarrass themselves daily with there shoddy equipment and workmanship. Yet everyone seems to be working.

The bottom line is whatever a person does for primary employment is irrelevant. What matters is that the people involved in the lawn industry should try to be as professional as possible and don't undermine themselves or the industry by cutting price's or corners. Do the job right and get the proper pay for the job.

LawnGuy73
03-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Full time LCO and a paid on call firefighter.

FCS Services
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Fulltime LCO, volunteer firefighter in a rural area and a pert time Deputy Sheriff (really part time in the summer)

jeffex
03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
fulltime mailman 25th yr. great way to get customers. 16 yrs cutting

dgZtrak737
03-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I work for the Alabama Department Of Transportation. Part Time LCO

kleankutslawn
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
fulltime lco.fulltime parent.thats all i have time for!!!

Lawn Enforcer
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm only 17, but I plan on joining the local vol F.D. when I'm out of college

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.
03-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Well, well, well. We should be use to this. Your always the "bad" guy. "Why couldn't you be out catchin' real criminals instead of givin me a ticket". "Your picking on me cause I'm (_________) but letting the real criminals off the hook. "your never around when we call you but boy the minute WE do something wrong, Bang, there you are....super cop!"

I can't figure if Some People are jealous that you actually made something of your life and that you are more than likely more financially secure than most. And that you have the intestinal fortitude to go out and make a second living to give your family everything you can.

Or, that you are actually a professional in more than one profession. And, you have taken the tests, been licensed and insured. That you have a strong, solid faithful client base. Or, again is it more likely that you make more money than them. Either way, in their eyes we're second class citizens. So, let us all just get use to it and live as we want and gloat in our wonderful world where we actually love our jobs and the people we work with and let the naysayer be miserable.

Captain - State of MD
Licensed & Professional LCO - 13 yrs
:dancing:

kpetzold
03-05-2008, 05:00 AM
full time sheriff's deputy , and full time lco .:usflag: