PDA

View Full Version : Lowes trimmer

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Lowes has a string trimmer that can use several different attachments, pole saw, tiller , hedge trimmer, blower etc. It is cheap and homeowners, but Im thinking this would make a good backup string trimmer-edger and the attachments might save me some time here and there. I dont plan on using any of the stuff much but it really might come in handy at times.

What do you fellers think?

grass-scapes
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Its probably a Ryobi. They don't last long....if you use them regularly, plan on getting about 3 months with them.

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Well what commerical stringers have the ability to interchange attachments?

kleankutslawn
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
i would get a used stihl,shidi,red max,before i get anything non commercial.just my .2

Landrus2
03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Lowes has a string trimmer that can use several different attachments, pole saw, tiller , hedge trimmer, blower etc. It is cheap and homeowners, but Im thinking this would make a good backup string trimmer-edger and the attachments might save me some time here and there. I dont plan on using any of the stuff much but it really might come in handy at times.

What do you fellers think?

If you are going to stay in business buy commercial grade equipment. other wise you will be throwing your money away.

If you are a home owner in that case is ok.:waving:

naturescape
03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I am very happy with Stihl's new ads that explain why they are NOT sold in Lowe's or Home Depot.

grass-scapes
03-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Well what commerical stringers have the ability to interchange attachments?

Echo, Stihl, redmax, Shindaiwa,well, pretty much all of them.

http://catalog.redmax.com/MyCart/ProductDetails/44/EXZ2401S-BC_EXtreme_Multi-Unit.aspx

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=PROATTACH

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/multitools/index.php

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/index.html

There are just a few links

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
It was just a thought,n I already have Shindawia blower and weedwacker and Kawasaki hedge trimmers I just thought that lowes stuff might come in handy now and then

tallimeca
03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
for 2 reasons.

1) If you have some profit to burn so you dont' have to pay taxes on it.

2) If your life generally runs smooth and you need some aggrivation to liven it up

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey thanks a bunch grass-scapes. Looks like Echo and Sthil have the most attachments. Stihl has an extension that woul come in handy. I like Shindawia products the besr but they dont have as many attachments.

Mike Fronczak
03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I have a Roybi setup like you are looking at,for same purpose. It has the chain saw, hedge trimmer, line trimmer head. The chain saw gets used the most & has made me a ton of money, the hedge trimmer got dull real fast (I now bought a dedicated echo pole unit which is very nice), the string trimmer head rarely was used. Over all I'm happy with it for my application. For heavier duty I would buy dedicated units though, as I have started doing. But it lasted me about 5 years now & still runs fine.

yungman
03-04-2008, 01:02 PM
You must be talking about Troy Bilt TB475. I have that one. This is the older 26cc engine. They are selling for $169. It is same as Ryobi which all by MTD. The attachments are kind of expensive though, I am not sure it is worthy.

The shaft is too short for comfortable trimming. Motor is good, head is bad, do not advance very well and jam sometimes.

Ryobi and Troy Bilt is better than people give them credit. One person in forum use Ryobi to do commercial work and he consistencely get 550 to 600 hours out of each trimmer. For the money they are good as backup.

If you want cheap backup, I'll get individual Ryobi cheapest tool as backup. Ryobi/Troy Bilt are really not bad.

If I were to do it, I'll keep my oldest trimmer as backup, get Maruyama as new full time tool. Their commercial equipments have 5 years commercial warrantee. They don't have a lot of dealer and part might take longer to order. But if you keep your used old tools and get Maruyama, if they need repair as all the other best must need, use your old tool and wait for the Maruyama to be repair. 5 years, you are like getting 2 out of 1.

naturescape
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I held on of these Ryobi trimmers a few years ago, and it felt like it weighed 50lbs compared with what I use.

Anyone here would be crazy to use such a thing.

yungman
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I held on of these Ryobi trimmers a few years ago, and it felt like it weighed 50lbs compared with what I use.

Anyone here would be crazy to use such a thing.

They are not any heavier than Shindaiwa T261 and T272!!! Check the spec. Their problem is that the shaft is too short and it wear on you after a while.

lawnkingforever
03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I have the 475SS Troybuilt as my backup to my Echo trimmer. If it is only used as a backup it will hold up. Of course my Echo trimmer is much lighter and cuts better, but the TB serves it's purpose. I have the tiller and hedgetrimmer attachemnts that get used very little. The tiller attachment I have used on my own garden 3X and a couple of customer's small gardens. I would never spend the money on a dedicated tiller or hedgetrimmer, when I use these items so sparingly. These attachments don't take up much space either and only cost 60-70$ bucks. I have enough crap laying around taking up space; quads, snowblower ect. I don't need anymore engines to maintain.

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=lawnkingforever;2189081]I have the 475SS Troybuilt as my backup to my Echo trimmer. If it is only used as a backup it will hold up. Of course my Echo trimmer is much lighter and cuts better, but the TB serves it's purpose. I have the tiller and hedgetrimmer attachemnts that get used very little. The tiller attachment I have used on my own garden 3X and a couple of customer's small gardens. I would never spend the money on a dedicated tiller or hedgetrimmer, when I use these items so sparingly. These attachments don't take up much space either and only cost 60-70$ bucks. I have enough crap laying around taking up space; quads, snowblower ect. I don't need anymore engines to maintain.[/QUOTE

Thats excatly what I was planning to do.

I wonder how the attachments compare in price to the commerical attachments for Echo or Stihl?

tamadrummer
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Larry aren't you talking about specializing in manicured yards?

If that is the case, than you will be using the snot out of a hedge trimmer and pole pruner. You will need to have both be dedicated. Go with the best supported equipment you can get, be it Shindaiwa or Stihl or Echo.

Don't buy homeowner junk based on a homeowners opinion of it. There are a ton of commercial guys here that have made the mistake of putting non-commercial equipment on their trucks only to have it break down mid-job and be screwed. You will be able to depreciate the purchase on your schedule C taxes and use the snot out of it to make loads of money in the interim.

Lowe's is there for the homeowner and for emergencies not for support. Your local dealer is there for that. Building a great relationship with him/her will go a long way for you in business with that!

yungman
03-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Larry aren't you talking about specializing in manicured yards?

If that is the case, than you will be using the snot out of a hedge trimmer and pole pruner. You will need to have both be dedicated. Go with the best supported equipment you can get, be it Shindaiwa or Stihl or Echo.

Don't buy homeowner junk based on a homeowners opinion of it. There are a ton of commercial guys here that have made the mistake of putting non-commercial equipment on their trucks only to have it break down mid-job and be screwed. You will be able to depreciate the purchase on your schedule C taxes and use the snot out of it to make loads of money in the interim.

Lowe's is there for the homeowner and for emergencies not for support. Your local dealer is there for that. Building a great relationship with him/her will go a long way for you in business with that!

You use Ryobi/Troy Bilt stuff??

I do for years. I use my TB475 for rental properties, heavy duty wacking. Tall weeds, everything. I often bog it down, laboring the engine, I use it very very hard. I did everything wrong to the Troy Bilt trimmer, I never wash the air filter, never change the gas filter, only change oil. I work around very dusty place, still after all these years it keep on ticking. Alway 2 to 3 pull start. It is good enough as a back up. Nobody suggest using it for work. It cost so much less than the commercial units. I use a lot of Ryobi tools for earth quake retrofits, they stand up to use. When they first came out, everyone was skeptcal about them, now they become the tool of choice, not Dewalt.
You buy good commercial stuff, go to dealer, you buy cheap backup stuff, go to Lowes and Home Depot!!!! You don't need service on cheap stuff, you throw them away!!! they cost 1/3 to 1/4 the cost only. For backup only.

As I put in the post before, If I were to do it, I'll keep the old equipment as backup, buy Maruyama with 5 years warrantee which will save money in the long run. This way I can always have reliable tools.

lawnkingforever
03-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Larry, these attachemnts run 60$-80$ a piece. If these items will be used very sparingly it may be a cheap solution, but if they are going to be used anymore than that you should look into commercial items. These items hardly ever get put on the back of my trailer for commercial use. I only have about 20-25 accounts, so your needs may be diffrent than mine. I own some commercial equipment(blower, trimmer, WB), my business plan does not allow for much more than that for the time being.

Big C
03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I have a homelite trimmer with attachments that I use as a spare....had it for 5 yrs......tuned it up a few weeks ago and it still runs like a champ....I am in the process of converting all of my handhelds to commercial grade though

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Looks like a game or 50/50. My thing is I already have Kawasaki hedge trimmers and Shindawia week wacker. I have a pole prunner with a rope, but I rearly use it Im just thinking of having extra tools for unique situtions.

So dont know which way to go Lowes or Commerical. I will check local pawnshop first.

tamadrummer
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
You use Ryobi/Troy Bilt stuff??

NOT a chance!!!! NO WAY no how! Not for a back up not for primary! What reason do I have to buy junk? It does not work in my business plan at all. As I buy back up, I save and buy commercial.

As my company grows, using stuff daily will take its toll on it and when I bring a 2nd hand on, I don't want them using homeowner junk anymore than I want to use it. I don't want to have to replace it, and I don't want to have to try to repair it.

Building a decent relationship with my dealer is important with me and knowing my stuff is fixable is important too.

mowerbrad
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I would only buy from a dealer. If your equipment breaks down, Lowes won't have loaner equipment for you and aren't very knowledgable about all the equipment. Lowes only sells homeowner equipment, nothing that will last you like th real stuff.

lawnkingforever
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Larry, let me know on what you decide. Thats the problem with some of these threads, everybody has diffrent needs for there businesses. You could have 1000 's of dollars of commercial equipment but even mention that 1 of your 3 trimmers is a residential unit and people start ranting about commercial equipment. We all know commercial equipment is the way to go already. You were asking about something that maybe used very little or at all, just to have it in case you need it once or twice a year.

Big C
03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks like a game or 50/50. My thing is I already have Kawasaki hedge trimmers and Shindawia week wacker. I have a pole prunner with a rope, but I rearly use it Im just thinking of having extra tools for unique situtions.

So dont know which way to go Lowes or Commerical. I will check local pawnshop first.

IMO..if you already have homeowner equip. use it until it dies.......if you are going to go out and buy equip.. ...BUY COMMCRCIAL!!

larryinalabama
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Larry, let me know on what you decide. Thats the problem with some of these threads, everybody has diffrent needs for there businesses. You could have 1000 's of dollars of commercial equipment but even mention that 1 of your 3 trimmers is a residential unit and people start ranting about commercial equipment. We all know commercial equipment is the way to go already. You were asking about something that maybe used very little or at all, just to have it in case you need it once or twice a year.

I understand what you are saying, try to make 60bucks an hour thes fellers laugh have 1 peice or homeowners equiptment your laughed at.

I will probably just get the TroyBuilt stuff from Lowes for now, then if I need a deciated peice later on I will go commerical then.

lifetree
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Its probably a Ryobi. They don't last long....if you use them regularly, plan on getting about 3 months with them.

The Ryobi's are sold at Home Cheapo !!

yungman
03-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I understand what you are saying, try to make 60bucks an hour thes fellers laugh have 1 peice or homeowners equiptment your laughed at.

I will probably just get the TroyBuilt stuff from Lowes for now, then if I need a deciated peice later on I will go commerical then.

They are really not that bad. People that claimed they are bad have never use it. I bought a Honda Trimmer, 3 times the price!!! Ofcourse I expect it to be better than the Troy Bilt!!!! The 4 cycle motor is very good, I even bought a spare motor on ebay to open up to play with. Only complain is the shaft is too short, if you are tall, you won't like it.