PDA

View Full Version : Is the bigger mower worth the $$

Kut Kidd
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello All,
I need a bit of buying advice, I'm looking for a ZTR to cut my personal lawn for now, 3 acres, maybe some customers in the future. I would like to have a 60" Exmark as they are pretty popular here in Maryland, my yard is very flat. I have seen a few 60" for 4-$5K with about 1400hrs on them, but yesterday I came across a 48" Exmark 18hp Kohler for $4k with about 600 hrs and a Scag 61" Super Z with a 22 hp Kohlerwith about 800hrs on it. Which one of these would you buy and it worth paying approx $1500 more for a 60" mower than a 48". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Turf Dawg
03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Personally I would go for the larger units. For the price you get larger engine and larger frame. The only time I go with a smaller unit is for tight areas. Some will argue but I also think on a Z that a 60" deck will give you a better cut than a 48". This is just my twin pennies though.

Runner
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
How much grss will you cutting, and how long will you be cutting grass for? It adds up...FAST. the extra money for the larger mower(s) will be made up many times over.

Kut Kidd
03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey thanks fellas,
I moved to the house last year and my 36" walkbehind took a long time to cut the little bit of grass that I had at that time, now more of my yard has come in and the rest shoul be in by the spring, plus I have a feeling my HOA is going to want me to maintain the entrance, just a feeling. I've been all over ebay, craigs list (what little mowers they have), local papers and cold calling dealers in my area. So hopefully somethings will turn up or I'll have to go with what I've found already, but the 60" model is a popular model, I gues that's why I have seen people selling the 44 and 48 models to upgrade to a larger one.

bohiaa
03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
not with 3 acers.

I have a 52" exmark my largest one is 10 acers. I can do this one in about 4 to 5 hrs.

NOW granted it's all GRASS there is NO weeds and it's VERY level.....

Kut Kidd
03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Bohiaa
Would you recomend not getting that size mower or not getting a ZTR with only 3 acres? With my current set up I can't cut the yard in the evening when I get home at 5:30. BTW how do you like your Exmark? What ever I get I would like for it to be a exmark.

Cedar Valley Landscapes
03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I would have to recommend going with the 60". But if you are going to decided to get into the mowing business I would go for the 52"ztr. You would be able to get into more tight spaces with the 52". I may self have a 72" to cut my three acres with only because I bought it when we maintained two subdivisions. As far as Exmark that is all I own and would never switch to anything else. If you have anyother questions please ask.

mowerbrad
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
If your only going to do your lawn or lawns similar to it I would suggest the 60", you'll get the job done quicker. But if you start to do other lawns beside yours, you have the think if your mower will fit or if it will be too big. 52" is a very good size as it is able to fit on the majority of properties and still be very efficient and a good time saver. But really it all comes down to what you.

lifetree
03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Get the 48" Exmark with less hours !!

bohiaa
03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey Bohiaa
Would you recomend not getting that size mower or not getting a ZTR with only 3 acres? With my current set up I can't cut the yard in the evening when I get home at 5:30. BTW how do you like your Exmark? What ever I get I would like for it to be a exmark.

No What I ment was to get the ZTR. But not that large of one.....

the 52" That I have I love it. wiht 3 acers it will plow through that in about 1.5 hrs. with NO problem.

Remember that all the TOP END ZTR's are about the same. GREAT machines.
I purchased the Exmark simply due to 1 factor. I have a dealer close by.

Good luck