PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Grass

Lawnjunkie
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a neighbor who has 2 patches of bermuda mixed in with their tall fescue. The patches are approximately 8'by10'. What is the best way to get rid of this bermuda; kill it out, dig it out, or another option?

TScapes
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Getting rid of bermuda from an established fescue lawn?:laugh::laugh:

I have seen people go so far as excavate 8" of soil, add new soil and then sod...... still comes back!:hammerhead:

The only thing I would suggest for your best results is to cut it out now (sod cutter) and then seed it asap~
The bermuda is dormant now, so spraying is a waste of time, and you want to get as many rhyzomes as possible now while it's dormant. The problem with common bermuda is that it will have runners up to 1-2' into the soil and also horizontally. It is also spread by seeds from bird droppings and wind. The best defense is to mow tall (4") and over seed with fescue every year to keep it dense. You can also spray selective herbicides once it starts to grow and spread.

Good Luck! Just wanted to give you a heads up on what your dealing with.:confused:

cgaengineer
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I have a neighbor who has 2 patches of bermuda mixed in with their tall fescue. The patches are approximately 8'by10'. What is the best way to get rid of this bermuda; kill it out, dig it out, or another option?

I'm going to suggest you move to a location that has the grass of your choice! Bermuda is the grass to have if you want it, but if you dont you will still have it!!

Turf Dawg
03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Bermuda in my neck of the woods is very hard to get rid of. What I would do is wait for the Bermuda to turn green then spray it with Round Up {or some type of glyphosphate}. Then I would wait about 3 weeks then spray again. Wait another 10 days and then powerrake up the dead and reseed. If you really want to do it right it will take alittle time. If you just leave a few rhymozones it will be back and spreading in a month.