PDA

View Full Version : Lost a good account yesterday :(

Drivefaster35
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
We'll I had this fairly nice condo development that I had last year. It was watered regukarly and fertiilized made great money on it and really turned it arounf in a years time. (before it was kinda thin and stragly). Anyhow the guy that developed it turn everything over to the HOA this year and they had gotten a couple calls and bids from people just walking in. We'll to make a long story short the president of the board called me and said he fought hard for me and himself and everybody else was very happy with the work I had done last year but the new guy they hired had done work for 2 people on the board at there previous houses therefore they felt a personal connection with him. Really sucks when I did nothing wrong, wasent overpriced or had any problems before. Kinda like the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. Oh we'll just kinda down lately and still waiting on a lot of callback from hopeful repeat customers. :(

Weekes
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
#1 reason I debate whether to do a commercial bid. To cut throat. You get a new manager or HOA committee and it does not matter how good you are or how your rates are. They'll dump you on a whim.

nlminc
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Keep your chin up! They may be calling you back if the new company doesn't perform. Did they tell you if your price was out of line with the other company? Usually that's the deal breaker with a HOA. They change hands sometimes from month to month. Stay in touch with them.

I've been thru the same thing over the years. You'll pick someting new up shortly! This year I'm losing residential customers because they can't afford lawn care anymore. People in 500k homes! I also had a paver job put on hold because the customer...an exec. just ran into a financial bind. He's going to let me know next week if he'll need his deposit back or not!

chuck bow
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Boys this country is in a sorry state for sure . Looks to me like the unemployment lines are going to get bigger and bigger and foreclosures are going to be sky rocketing more than they are now I dont know what its coming to, guys are going to be losing there jobs and cutting for little of nothing to just put food on the table . I agree there is no loyality in com work period its all about the buck no matter how good of job you do . I have also lost a few this yr to cheaper prices and uncle joes friends cousin is starting a mowing business and will do it cheaper than you

Drivefaster35
03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Keep your chin up! They may be calling you back if the new company doesn't perform. Did they tell you if your price was out of line with the other company? Usually that's the deal breaker with a HOA. They change hands sometimes from month to month. Stay in touch with them.

I've been thru the same thing over the years. You'll pick someting new up shortly! This year I'm losing residential customers because they can't afford lawn care anymore. People in 500k homes! I also had a paver job put on hold because the customer...an exec. just ran into a financial bind. He's going to let me know next week if he'll need his deposit back or not!

Believe it or not Charlie the president of the board said it wasen't a matter of price he specificly told the board he fetl they were making a mistake and it may come back to bite them on the butt, however he's only one vote out of I believe 6 or 7.

Turf Dawg
03-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Very sorry to here of your loss. I lost a appartment complex this year also. I hated to lose the money, but I needed to lose are get rid of some anyway. If you do commercial accounts very long you will find out the ones that are not privetly owned seem to go with a new cheaper bid quite often. One word of advice is to bid for more than 1 year, like 2 or 3 year contract. This way if you need something it helps you get it paid for. I know you are depressed right now, but if you do good work it always seems if you lose one you will gain one.

bohiaa
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
this has happened to me too....

I spent all summer getting one in GREAT shape only to be let go....

but I bet you a wooden nickle thay will want you back after 2 to 3 months.

If they dont I'll eat my hat..........

Roger
03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Boys this country is in a sorry state for sure . Looks to me like the unemployment lines are going to get bigger and bigger ....

What leads you to the conclusion about unemployment? What constitutes a "sorry state?"

chuck bow
03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
In my State we are losing manufacting jobs every single day and they are taking them overseas which puts more and more out of work so the lines just keep getting longer, back in late 60 early 70s my area ( 2cities ) had over 50,000 gm jobs as time went on we kept losing more and more jobs so as today ( 2008) we have 0 gm jobs yes 0 gm jobs and thats only the beginning as other factory jobs tied to auto industy have left the area too home building is down all over the country and more and more foreclosures with down sizing going on and i could go on and on That my Friend is what a sorry state this country is in but thats only my 2 cents if you think its good where you at iam happy for you and your fellow neighbors

PROCUT1
03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
What leads you to the conclusion about unemployment? What constitutes a "sorry state?"

With the economy as bad as it is and getting worse, more and more people will get laid off and outsourced which means a whole slew of new guys that will be thinking they can make it big as self employed lawnboys.

meets1
03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Condo's are great but yet they aren't. I had one that we took over from another guy. Really pumped fert./ spray/ water etc. It was amazing the results we got. That last about 4 years. Then two people moved out, one husband died and new people in, the one lday got re-married and we got under bid from $14 a condo to the new guy doing it for $8 a condo. No more striping the lawn, grass clumps, just bad. The one guy said it is awful but he is only 1 vote. Everyone else is pinchen pennies. The other condo's I do or have done are all paying less / mow than what we were charging 10 years ago. That makes it tough.

Mowman16
03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Boys this country is in a sorry state for sure . Looks to me like the unemployment lines are going to get bigger and bigger and foreclosures are going to be sky rocketing more than they are now I dont know what its coming to, guys are going to be losing there jobs and cutting for little of nothing to just put food on the table . I agree there is no loyality in com work period its all about the buck no matter how good of job you do . I have also lost a few this yr to cheaper prices and uncle joes friends cousin is starting a mowing business and will do it cheaper than you

With the economy as bad as it is and getting worse, more and more people will get laid off and outsourced which means a whole slew of new guys that will be thinking they can make it big as self employed lawnboys.

I just quoted a small plaza only to be told i would have to meet or beat $10.00, what is this world coming to. :confused::hammerhead:

BeautifulBlooms
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
If you lost it because of cost, I would say keep on them every few months and see if they are satisfied, but because you lost the job because of someone elses connection that way may not work. They won't remember you a year from now so be sure to at least send them a letter or something next off season and see what they are thinking. Myabe they'll let you back into the bidding process.

millenium_123
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
We'll I had this fairly nice condo development that I had last year. It was watered regukarly and fertiilized made great money on it and really turned it arounf in a years time. (before it was kinda thin and stragly). Anyhow the guy that developed it turn everything over to the HOA this year and they had gotten a couple calls and bids from people just walking in. We'll to make a long story short the president of the board called me and said he fought hard for me and himself and everybody else was very happy with the work I had done last year but the new guy they hired had done work for 2 people on the board at there previous houses therefore they felt a personal connection with him. Really sucks when I did nothing wrong, wasent overpriced or had any problems before. Kinda like the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. Oh we'll just kinda down lately and still waiting on a lot of callback from hopeful repeat customers. :(

I lost a $6000 account so I feel your pain! I am trying to figure out how to recoop from that. It was for a homeowners association. They told me they are going to buy their own equipment and hire local kids for $10 per hr. I along with the homeowners I have talked to don't think this will work. But if they call me, its going to cost them more.

DuraCutter
03-05-2008, 12:51 AM
In my State we are losing manufacting jobs every single day and they are taking them overseas which puts more and more out of work so the lines just keep getting longer, back in late 60 early 70s my area ( 2cities ) had over 50,000 gm jobs as time went on we kept losing more and more jobs so as today ( 2008) we have 0 gm jobs yes 0 gm jobs and thats only the beginning as other factory jobs tied to auto industy have left the area too home building is down all over the country and more and more foreclosures with down sizing going on and i could go on and on That my Friend is what a sorry state this country is in but thats only my 2 cents if you think its good where you at iam happy for you and your fellow neighbors

Imported cars and made in China!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2 of the biggest reasons. But no, most people will buy imported because they are better cars.... bullsqid, not anymore... so start with yourself, buy north american....it's start with all of us....

:)

soloscaperman
03-05-2008, 01:44 AM
You do what the new landscaper did. Find out where these people live and charge them real cheap on there lawns because you lost the Condo place not for price but the other guy hooked up the workers and they voted for him. Well do what he did do there lawns and even do them basically free so they vote for you next year. So you may have to loose a 100 bucks or so but its better then loosing a 1,000 or more. Sounds like in order to get the condo's back you gotta sacrifice.

chuck bow
03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh no not another post about cutting lawns forfree Thats what is the matter these days the price just keeps getting cheaqper and cheaper because of this very thing, if each guy thatcame in and under bid to just to get the work you cant even make expenses . I would rather sit on the porch and draw unemployment than work for free . Hey that dont sound to bad maybe i can join the ranks of the people that know how to play the system and not work

soloscaperman
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm just saying that this other guy screwed him over so he should do the same back to win the accounts. Its like walmart they charge cheap and once the competion is out then u raise the price. Im not a pussy if somone took my acounts and had a plain I would do the same back. Don't walk away.

chuck bow
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
i see your point and can feel the pain but once he drives that guy out there will be 5 more right behind him starting up . Its alot easier starting a mowing business than building a walmart. Some of these prices iam seeing and hearing about are prices that should have been charged back in the early 90s not 2008

UrbanGreen
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Its alot easier starting a mowing business than building a walmart.
lol! One of my customers was a building contractor. This past year when new construction basically came to a complete stop, he had so much money out on the table and couldnt sell anything, he went under. Guess what he does? Of course calls me up and tells me sorry man dont need ya any more, Im your new competitor!

stick9
03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
If they dont I'll eat my hat..........

I'd love to see this!

But I'd rather he get the account back.

You never know, it could be for the best -- just keep your eyes open.

chuck bow
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Thats funny, thats kind of what happened to me on 2 accounts . Had the 2 accounts for 12 years and now low and behold his son is starting a mowing business and will be doing it as a weekend warrior so guess what ? I lost those 2 accounts in a bat of a eye , told me its not personal its just business . Well he!! ya its personal, its taking money out of my pocket by a weekend warrior

Drivefaster35
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
We'll in the situation I am in all the board members live there they guy they had hired had done work at their personal (previous) house in the past. I still do not understand if price wasent an issue which is what I was told and they had absolutly no complaints whatsoever which I was told then why switch and ruin a good thing becuase the previous guy had done work for a couple in the past? Isn't that what I was doing last year was work for them in the past? I dunno problly one I'll never be able to make sense of but I will say this. I'm not taking it to easy. I never and I mean never loose accounts becuase there is little to no repitable competition around here and I do my very best to build good personal relationships with my clientel so this one's hitting me kinda hard.

GrassBustersLawn
03-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Just keep looking for NEW accounts...commercial or residential to fill their slot. Then when they do call back, tell them "SORRY, I don't have room for you at this time."

GreenN'Clean
03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
It sounds like the new guy probably bid well below what you were doing it for. The guys so called kind remarks for fighting for you and all was just a polite way of saying they got some sucker to do the job way cheaper....

grassaholic
03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
It sounds like the new guy probably bid well below what you were doing it for. The guys so called kind remarks for fighting for you and all was just a polite way of saying they got some sucker to do the job way cheaper....

Happens all the time with HOA's. You give the people a great service and it doesn't matter. The most common I've seen is the "board members" change and one of the more vocal members really pushes for their landscaper to get the job. They take a look at what you've been charging and tell their landscaper to bid just a little bit less than you to use the cheaper price as leverage to get their landscaper the contract. They convince the other "board members" that their landscaper is just as good as you but cheaper. Being a small LCO I like the high end residential work. These people are much more loyal, which doesn't put all my eggs in one basket. When the bigger contracts come along I'll take em because they can bring in alot of money. I've just learned not to rely on that type of work to keep me goin.