PDA

View Full Version : Homelite Equipment?

carolinaborn82
03-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I am about to buy a weed eater, edger, and blower and I was wanting to know how good equipment Homelite made? Is it is cheaper, I am just wondering if it is a good idea to buy their equipment?

Don Chambers

bohiaa
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
stay a way from it.

tamadrummer
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Its great if you don't mind replacing equipment regularly. They will know that you are using it commercially and not warranty any of it after a short time.

It won't hold up and you will be spending good money over bad just to make through a days work.

lopomon
03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
the company i am with now uses crap equipment for everything, just starting out on my own. anyhow we only use craftman 21" mowers with about 60+ weekly cuts. my boss has to buy new mowers twice a year. we have crappy trucks, mowers, blowers, and trimmers. he recently got this ryobi trimmer that actually hasnt performed half bad. however, the amount of homelites he goes through is disturbing.. they almost always have something wrong with them within the SECOND day. now, coming from somebody who only uses crappy equipment, stay away from the homelites, they are crappier than crappy. :)

lawnpro724
03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I say it all the time and live buy what I say, buy commercial !!!!!!! 1 good commercial trimmer = 3-4 Homelite, Ryobi junk. Price alway's seems to be the reason these cheap company's buy stuff like Homelite and other junk but in reality they are spending a lot more than the rest of us who buy commercial equipment. I have a couple older Toro Proline trimmers from the early 90's that still run great and are backups these day's. I just keep them around because they just won't die, they still run smooth as the day they were new and start on second pull every time. How many can say that about their Homelite or Ryobi ?

lawnkingforever
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
The trimmer needs to be commercial grade, the Echo SRM 210 for around 200$ is a good trimmer for the pricepoint. As for as the blower and edger, how much are you going to be using these? If you are just blowing grass and not doing leaf cleanups, just buy a handheld blower to start and upgrade to a better one as budget allows.

TPLawnPro
03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Homelite??? - Don't do that to yourself. Such a move will prove to be of great disservice to you. I say do it right the first time. Like one of the guys here said, "Buy Commercial!!!"

SLR
03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
What about 'Weedeater'

flattoplawncare
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Key Word Home light

topsites
03-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah I tell you, there are two things that can't be beat:

1) Equipment that refuses to work, is inadequate and takes at least twice as long on a good day, and on a bad day it won't even start. Now when this won't start, plan on doing a complete rebuild, half the stuff inside falls apart on you as you take off the cover and dealers of reputable repair shops won't touch it after that.
2) Equipment that always starts and gets the job done, it runs so good that on a bad day if it don't start by the 3rd pull something is wrong lol so put some gas in it. If it still don't work put a new spark plug or an air filter on it, and if it still don't work take it to the dealer and tell them to give you a good one.

In terms of downtime, with low grade stuff you'll work for half of what you're getting paid, since you'll spend roughly half the time fixing it. No doubt even the best high grade stuff has its day, too. But cheap equipment has those days like all the time.

So why not make 362 out of the next 365 days good?
Buy quality equipment.

Bonus: It boosts your ego, it actually helps you quote higher prices with a straight face when you KNOW your poo don't stink.
On the flipside, cheap equipment is a downer.
It's true, the quality of your equipment has an effect on you!
Buy quality equipment, make good money.

flattoplawncare
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah I tell you, there are two things that can't be beat:

1) Equipment that refuses to work, is inadequate and takes at least twice as long on a good day, and on a bad day it won't even start.
2) Equipment that always starts and gets the job done, it runs so good that on a bad day if it don't start by the 3rd pull something is wrong lol so put some gas in it.

No doubt even the best high grade stuff has its day, too.
But cheap equipment has those days like all the time.

So why not make 362 out of the next 365 days good?
Buy quality equipment.

Well Put Topsites!

Lugnut
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
What about 'Weedeater'

Lets just say I'd take a Homelite over the Weedeater

Scagmower48
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
My dad has had a Homelite curved shaft trimmer for 10 years and never had a problem. It was for his personal use though.

freshprince94
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
ok, i would scream if i could DON"T BUY HOMELITE!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:

when i was just starting out i knew i should have been buying the commercial stuff but thought i could get buy with homelite for a while until i could afford commercial stuff. got a homelite trimmer and backpack blower. the trimmer was in the shop the 2nd time i used it. took at least 2 months to get fixed. the backpack blower: used it twice. each time the tubes fell apart. returned the blower (sadly the trimmer couldnt be returned) and got all ECHO stuff. echo is one of the best brands out their (some guys swear by stihl and redmax but i think echo is the best). whatever brand you use, buy commercial. and dont get homelite!

LushGreenLawn
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
My dad has had a Homelite curved shaft trimmer for 10 years and never had a problem. It was for his personal use though.

Same here... but keep in mind 26 user per year vs. 15-20 uses per day

You will put over a years homeowner use on that trimmer every 2 days.

kleankutslawn
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
buy a used commercial weedeater before you by a residential

Cheffy
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Is cheap @ purchase time cheap through the whole time you own it ! If you mow one house (your own ) once a week for a year that equals 25- 30 mowings around here . If you mow 10 or more lawns a day six days a week then I would not recommend a consumer piece kibble of waste your time and in the end money junk. People dont get it the time you waste going to get that thing fixed needs to be figured into the equation .

deere615
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I have 2 of the older homelites, and I have beat them pretty good and they are still running. But those New "Mightly Lights" Suck. They have to be the wrst trimmer out there today. Go echo you won't regret it