PDA

View Full Version : the il6 (integral lighting)

Mike M
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I found what appears to be quite an awesome and simple fixture for hardscapes, etc. and I bought one to demo for a wooden walkway/deck. The deck is approx 3-4" above crushed shells, with an approximately 1 inch lip.

The il6 comes with a stainless steel insert, intended for under bricks, etc., but I am thinking of another option, cutting the insert and mounting flush. To do this, I need a permanent adhesive.

Anyone got a recommendation for steel to wood? Also, I would love a good reference book for adhesives and building industry tips for custom work, if one exists!

The best way to see the fixture is on their website, plus I was unable to copy the pics: integral-lighting.com

Thanks.

Pro-Scapes
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
If I were attempting something like what your speaking of I would probably cut the insert with a bandsaw to depth acounding for a an exta inch or so. I would then use a bending brake or hammer and vise to put a bend in the fixture then use screws and anchors to secure it.

or if its long enough just drill a hole in the stainless and then use small wood screws to mount. On the sticky stuff question I would probably look to a marine grade epoxy

Lite4
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Mike, Before you buy the integral, take a look at the Vista rail light. I think it is a better light overall. It has a frosted lense where the integral is exposed. It has a removable flange for applications like you are wanting to do with having to cut with a saw. Here is the link. They make it in copper too.

http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=461&CatID=1&typeID=5

klkanders
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Tim, Great suggestion! I have both of them in front of me right now. I agree on the frosted lens and the ability to take the flange off and use the screw holes to anchor it to the wood.

Pro-Scapes
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
thats a much better idea. I never cared for the exposed socket and lamp on the integral. Evening star also has a new one as well that has an enclosed lamp. I am waiting a sample for the show of the eveningstar.

Lite4
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, thats right. Anthony was telling me about that. I want to see his as well. Is his LED driven?

Frog Lights, LLC
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Please take a look at our wall LED light fixture . It features 5 super bright LED's. Uses .2 watts and we warranty it for life. If you send us a PM we will quote a Lawnsite special price if there is no distributor in your area. The main problem with the other units is the bulb is very hot and can cause a burn and they both burn out quickly. see our flyer.

irrig8r
03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I found what appears to be quite an awesome and simple fixture for hardscapes, etc. and I bought one to demo for a wooden walkway/deck. The deck is approx 3-4" above crushed shells, with an approximately 1 inch lip.

The il6 comes with a stainless steel insert, intended for under bricks, etc., but I am thinking of another option, cutting the insert and mounting flush. To do this, I need a permanent adhesive.

Anyone got a recommendation for steel to wood? Also, I would love a good reference book for adhesives and building industry tips for custom work, if one exists!

The best way to see the fixture is on their website, plus I was unable to copy the pics: integral-lighting.com
Thanks.

I also like the Vista 4260 better.

Hadco makes something similar too (Steplyte) not with a mounting plate, but in 4 different lengths and flip out sockets for easy relamping. I looked at one last year, but bought the Vista for my demo samples.

Here are some pics of the Hadco and where we were going to put them, every other stair... whoever installed the stairs years ago had prewired them, and the wires all checked out OK.

We decided against the idea. Mostly I was concerned about the leaf blower filling them with crap.

Mike M
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
wow, these are are good ideas.

The vista is aluminum, and the property is surrounded by salt water (end of a point) and constant sea breezes.

The others seem a little large, I'll look at the specs, but I love this type of fixture.

If I use the copper integral, I can get a steel-cutting blade but I don't have a bandsaw (Billy you are such a farmer). hehe. Before I cut my limbs off, should I use my circular saw or my new grinder?

Nobody knows a good epoxy for stainless steel to wood? The rep told me Locktite ??

klkanders
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Whoa Mike! Back up...I mean back up to Tim's post #3. Vista makes it in copper too w the frosted lens and removeable flange. Its what u want. The thought of u cutting off fingers gives me the willies......plz dont do it......:)

Mike M
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, don't worry, I just checked again. The catalog says aluminum, but the spec sheet says also in ss, brass, copper. I'm sure it's gonna be a special order, not just expensive but will take a long time.

klkanders
03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Mike...check your PM

Lite4
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Mike, Vista is all made in their factory here in the good old US of A. Even on special order they will it have out the door for you in 24-48 hours. They have always been pretty good about this.

irrig8r
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Mike, Vista is all made in their factory here in the good old US of A. Even on special order they will it have out the door for you in 24-48 hours. They have always been pretty good about this.

Yep. Vista is one of those companies that is known for order turnaround time.

ChampionLS
03-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Oh yeah, thats right. Anthony was telling me about that. I want to see his as well. Is his LED driven?

I sent samples to Billy, Kirk and you. :waving:

irrigation man
03-06-2008, 08:30 AM
call a company called extreme adhesives in seabrook new hampshire,they make an adhesive that will stick anything to anything,they have a great sealer for pvc pipe splits as well
tell them dave p told you and ask for ann she will get you to the right person,be nice and they might send you a sample for free
1-800-888-4583

Dreams To Designs
03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
The Vista is a definite improvement over the Integral and the Evening Star fixture is also much better than the Integral. The Evening Star is a sealed lamp assembly with a diffusion lens and is simple to change out with multiple faceplates as well. I also have the Focus undr cap fixture which as of now, has an exposed lamp, but has no exposed fasteners for the faceplate. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Focus version with a lens of some sort to protect the exposed lamp in the future.

Kirk

klkanders
03-06-2008, 10:55 AM
It is amazing to me that with all these companies making this similar light that only about half of them thought about possible sight lines. Where could this fixture be viewed from? If mounted on a SRW wall or column, like its main purpose, and the fixture being so close how will we control the hot spot which is inevitable being inches away from subject? Will someone be blinded walking up the steps from the lower yard? It is obvious to me everyone saw a need to make them but some just took the basic design further. Others saw the $$$ they could make.
Finally i have to wonder about cost. I don't know the price on all of these just a couple.
For the same cost I can get a nice copper fixture with much more material and less tooling.
Billy jump on the bandwagon and knock some of these out for us! With a frosted lens please.

irrigation man
03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
www.extremeadhesives.com they have what u need to do it right the first time

irrigation man
03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
www.thisglueworks.com you guys want the source here is the web site make your own decision im just telling you it works plain and simple

Mike M
03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Wow man, those glue links are cool. But, lots of emphasis on plastics and composites, I'll have to call them. I want stainless steel to wood. Hang those fancy evening star fixtures or the Vista without a flange plate under the lip of a wooden walkway.

Anthony: Very nice!

thunderboltbangs1
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Another option is the IL 6 Led and the IL 18 which is longer They are pictured here http://www.buddingco.com/Hardscape-Lighting-s/64.htm

The Led costs more but is guaranteed to last over 10 years. The IL 18 and IL 18 LED are just 18 inch versions of the il 6's. In the long run the IL 6 LED does cost double but it has a lot more added value and will save time and energy, for you and your electric bill.

BrandonV
07-22-2010, 05:32 PM
digging up a 2 year old thread=Rep.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Any chance you will post the actual cost benefit analysis on this fixture that costs 2x as much as the incandescent equivalent?

(I know, just stirring the pot a bit, but heck, if the claims are going to be made then the source should have the info to back it up right? Besides that, it is too quiet here!)

thunderboltbangs1
07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
The standard IL6 consumes approx 10 watts per unit, in contrast the LED consumes 2.4 Watts. Over time is ads up and as energy goes up it is something to consider. The bulbs in the regular IL6 are USHIO and rated to last 10,000 hours, in contrast the LED is guaranteed to last over 10 years and the bulbs are supposed to last 40,000 hours. So basically with the led purchase you are setting and forgetting it. While the standard IL6 you will have to do updates on approx every 3 years depending on how much you use the lights. I have tried both out, they both look the same, but as you can see its about upfront costs or hidden costs. Hope this helped.

djt22
07-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Are you saying the light output is the same or the fixture in general?

sprinklerchris
07-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Mike, Before you buy the integral, take a look at the Vista rail light. I think it is a better light overall. It has a frosted lense where the integral is exposed. It has a removable flange for applications like you are wanting to do with having to cut with a saw. Here is the link. They make it in copper too.

http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=461&CatID=1&typeID=5

Vista's 4260 is a major improvement over the Integral. The protective lens and hinged socket are a big plus.

emby
07-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Vista's 4260 is a major improvement over the Integral. The protective lens and hinged socket are a big plus.

This is just my personal preference but I never liked the integral because the bulb is exposed to the elements and insects.
I like the look of the Vista though.

Ken

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Troy CSL has a wicked new fixture that is the best thought up and built I have seen yet.

It is the R-P155

http://troylandscapelighting.com/contents/troylandscape.asp

sprinkler guy
07-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Troy CSL has a wicked new fixture that is the best thought up and built I have seen yet.

It is the R-P155

http://troylandscapelighting.com/contents/troylandscape.asp

I wish they had put the screws on the side. I don't like having to see them. Otherwise, pretty cool looking.

sprinklerchris
07-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I wish they had put the screws on the side. I don't like having to see them. Otherwise, pretty cool looking.

The Vista is reversible. You can either mount it "screws facing out" or "screws facing in".

With the clip-in lens, I am not sure why you would ever need to access the screws, but the instructions show you have it as an option.

eastcoastjessee
12-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Digging up an old thread. I'm looking at the integrals and similar lights but how do I plan for replacement of wire? Its been said before that low voltage wire has a 10 year life span. Any thoughts?

sprinklerchris
12-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Vista showed their new LED model at the Irrigation Show. No screws on the front, and serviceable LED module.

eastcoastjessee
12-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Does it take care of the problem created by mortar eating away at the wire casing?

Dreams To Designs
12-10-2010, 09:23 AM
If mortar is the concern, use a plastic sleeve for the wire when passing through a mortared area. Better quality, outdoor rated wire is supposed to be more resistant to the effects of the lime, but I prefer to be safe and use a plastic sleeve when passing through a mortared joint. If you are going to set the wire between layers that will be mortared together, plastic tubing may alleviate the issue. I have seen irrigation drip tubing & rolls of funny pipe used for this purpose.

Do yourself & your client a favor and investigate other manufacturers that create similar fixtures. The Vista is a nicer fixture and the Cast fixture, including their LED version is top of the line. A little more in cost will save you a big headache later.

Kirk