PDA

View Full Version : exmark or toro

wiseguyslawn
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
i know these machines are almost the same but does anyone have a preference.

Shuter
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I am all for Toro. Before buying my last Z-turn, I compared the 2, and found that Toro was still better. From what I understand, the frames are about the same, the engines are the same, I don't remember about the hydro systems, but the decks are different. Toro deck is deeper. I have used Toros for my trim mowers, wb, and z-turns. I also liked my Toro dealer better the the Exmark dealer. There is something to be said for great service.

cemeteryman
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I am all for Toro. Before buying my last Z-turn, I compared the 2, and found that Toro was still better. From what I understand, the frames are about the same, the engines are the same, I don't remember about the hydro systems, but the decks are different. Toro deck is deeper. I have used Toros for my trim mowers, wb, and z-turns. I also liked my Toro dealer better the the Exmark dealer. There is something to be said for great service.

Well I made the exact same comparison and went the other way. I was using Toro and tried out the Exmark, after a couple days of side by side mowing I liked the cut of the Exmark better than the Toro, the ride of the Exmark was better as well. To help the decision the Exmark dealer gave me a whole lot better deal than the Toro dealer would even try to give me, which is why I have bought three more Exmarks since then.

Roger
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know what models you are comparing. Last week at a trade show, I saw a Toro 36" w/b with T2 steering, and an Exmark TTHP 36". They are very different design. This includes the deck, frame, hydro, steering.

I think some models may be close, but a blanket statement cannot be made.

lifetree
03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I am all for Toro. ...

I don't own either one, however, I've heard more people talk positively about Toro than I have about Exmark !!

RacersLawnCare
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I have a 48" Viking Exmark my friend has a Toro 48" i have used his a couple of times, they are basically the same, but for some reason my does not break down like his, i understand i may take better care maintenance and all that but i just like the Exmark line better JUST my .02$

wiseguyslawn
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
mostly looking at the zero turns, have a toro t-bar 36'' wb and exmark lazer ct 52" briggs right now. lot less problems with my toro but it does not get near the use.

SouthernCutter
03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
i prefer exmark, but i have never used a toro WB, only a toro 21 push mower.

Roaregg
03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I like exmark more than toro. Maybe its just me, but i think they cut better

wiseguyslawn
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
what i take from past experience and the thread is exmark leaves a bit better cut along with a little cheaper price. However it seems the toros are less to have problems

Marek
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I have 6 Exmark mowers, a good friend runs mostly Toro stuff, we have traded machines back and fourth several times when we have one down. I feel like the Exmark moves alot more air under the deck which is nice for damp or wet mowing. The Toro still has grease fittings on the spindals and the Lazer has grease less spindals. If you are looking at z riders than you need to take a tape measure with you and check again, the lazer is a much deeper deck. As far as walk behinds, not sure which is better but can say that I dont think you could go wrong with either one. Dealer support can also help make up your mind, even if one is a few dollars more than the other it would be worth it if the selling dealer gives you better support or will provide a loaner if yours goes down. Its almost a chevy vs ford thing eeveryone is going to like something different , but they are still both good units. In the past we have had Buntons,Kees,Kubotas,Exmarks,Lescos,Ransomes and a few more , also tried a Dixie chopper and as I said above we run Exmarks.

Frue
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
i have owned both #1 exmark is deeper #2 exmark ride better #3 I think toro cuts better #4 the price is about the same #5 I think exmarks triton deck is poop and the turbo force is much better #6 I am comparing the ultra cut and the turbo force # 7 Toro cuts better in wet condition an tall conditions exmark excells in the shorter heights #8 exmarks throw grass further than toros.

You decide price dealer and personal preference is all the matters. I pick toro.....

TOOLSHACK
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
OK..here's the FACTS...

1) Toro owns Exmark
2) The frames and hydro drive systems are basically the same.
3) Engines are basically the same based on similar sized machines
4) Toro uses 7 gauge steel on the skirt of the deck AND the top of the deck.
5) Exmark has 7 gauge on the skirt and 10 gauge on the top (thinner metal where the spindles mount up)
6) Toro uses cast-iron 9 3/8" spindles...extremely strong
7) Exmark has smaller diameter, aluminum spindles. They aren't as strong, nor do they absorb a shock load as well as the cast-iron.
8) Toro has an adjustable discharge baffle on the Turbo Force deck...also has a large bullnose steel reinforcement on the leading edge of the deck
9) Toro and Exmark don't have very many machines that can be compared "apples to apples" ...they intentionally make models that differ by 2 or 3 inches in deck size and 1 or 2 horsepower....
10) Toro only uses Kawasaki and Kohler engines on their gas burners
11) Exmark uses Briggs on some machines.

*** Overall, the Toro is a step above the Exmark for usually a similar price...sometimes a bit more.
Exmark is more widely popular, no doubt... but that has more to do with longtime market share, marketing, big dealer network, and pricing. You gotta buy based on your budget...as well as how well your dealer will take care of you after the sale.

wiseguyslawn
03-05-2008, 12:22 AM
guess everyone is split. My dilemma is I have two really good deales close 1 of each. I have a Toro walk behind and exmark ztr. However buying another zero turn this year and want all three to match. Get rid of toro walk behind and get a metro and another exmark ztr. Or sell my exmark ztr and get a two toro ztr's. Would have a bought a metro last yr. but liked the idea of the T-bar. Anyone else mis match. Maybe i just thinkin 2 much :hammerhead:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
03-05-2008, 12:46 AM
I run Exmark lazers w/ ultracut decks, but was talked into a toro z last season over fear of the triton deck. I disliked it from the first time I mowed with it! Wasn't just mine, a freind of mine who runs exmarks bought one too. His has ~20 hrs. after 1 season-that's how much he disliked it;)

I learned my lesson...On paper, they look about equal, but in the real world they are not. Exmark wins.. hands down!

cemeteryman
03-05-2008, 09:23 AM
When I switched from Toro to Exmark my Exmark dealer has a great service as well as the Toro dealer here. The Exmark dealer has no problem bringing out a model to use when I need service, but in three years I have only needed service 1 time. I had Toro for 2 years and had machines in at twice /year for service. Not to mention my Exmark dealer bid almost 2 grand less than the Toro dealer with a bigger engine. (Toro 23hp 60"deck and Exmark 31hp 60"deck)

Landrus2
03-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Exmark on this corner both machines are very equivalent.:waving:

Grounds Maint.
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Well I made the exact same comparison and went the other way. I was using Toro and tried out the Exmark, after a couple days of side by side mowing I liked the cut of the Exmark better than the Toro, the ride of the Exmark was better as well. To help the decision the Exmark dealer gave me a whole lot better deal than the Toro dealer would even try to give me, which is why I have bought three more Exmarks since then.

Did you find the Toro T2 handle operations to be easier to learn. The guys that I know that teach a new operator to run the Exmarks usually have a mishap or two in the process before the guy really gets the hang of the controls.

cemeteryman
03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Did you find the Toro T2 handle operations to be easier to learn. The guys that I know that teach a new operator to run the Exmarks usually have a mishap or two in the process before the guy really gets the hang of the controls.

Mine are all zero turns. Walk behinds, and stand ons hurt my knees too much to do it for 6-8 hours a day. The controls on both are the same.

wiseguyslawn
03-05-2008, 03:51 PM
the t-bar controls are very simple and good for curbs, but never have run the ecs in comparison.

freshprince94
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
i use a toro now but am upgrading to exmark eventually. if the mower your buying has a triton just get the upgrade kits.

if you havent realized yet i think you should go with the exmark.

topsites
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Depends, for Wb's Toro RULES!
Why you don't even need hydraulics with Toro, save your money and get a T-bar gear drive.
Been using these for 6+ years now, they don't make a better Wb for less than T-bar gear drive Toros.
Everything else is either overpriced or garbage in comparison.

But for 21's and Ztr's, I find other brands do as well if not better.

mowerbrad
03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
You have to look at dealer support. Both machines are about equal it just depends on which has the better dealer in your area.

js.lawn
03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
look in to a Ferris u might be surprised on the cost and the cut toro over priced exmark is getting over priced for the same kind of unit

wintergreenlawn&landscape
03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
They are both owned by Toro and are both bulletproof machines.

T Total Lawncare
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I went by my Exmark dealer today and they had a Lazer AS 60/28Kawi. He quoted a price of 8000 plus tax. Is it just me or does that sound a little pricey for that model?

js.lawn
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
never said they weren't bullet proof just over priced ferris is bullet proof too in my opinion ferris is built better just my thoughts

cgaengineer
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
never said they weren't bullet proof just over priced ferris is bullet proof too in my opinion ferris is built better just my thoughts

Not knocking your Ferris, but have you seen how the new T2 Toro is built?

wintergreenlawn&landscape
03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Do those Ferris shock absorbers really work? When I demo'd the machine I felt that they were so stiff that it really defeated the purpose of having them and Im 6'6 and weigh 260lbs

Eclipse
03-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I went by my Exmark dealer today and they had a Lazer AS 60/28Kawi. He quoted a price of 8000 plus tax. Is it just me or does that sound a little pricey for that model?

That sounds very fair to me. Around here the price for that exact same mower starts at $8800. With some wheelin' and dealin' it can be bought for less.

Eclipse
03-05-2008, 10:51 PM

Why you don't even need hydraulics with Toro, save your money and get a T-bar gear drive.

I could not disagree more with these two statements.

1. Toro's older WB's could not hold a candle to Exmark. Their new WB's that came out last year look promising though.

2. T-Bar might be nice but I will never own another gear drive WB . Yeck...

I guess everyone has their preferences.

In regards to the OP's question, I agree with those who said that I would look to dealer support to help make your decision easier because both have their strong and weak points.

Frue
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM

thats write on the money. that is the as its a good deal

js.lawn
03-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Not knocking your Ferris, but have you seen how the new T2 Toro is built?

yes i have thats what i was gonna buy but then looked a littly ferther and loved the ferris far more less money almost 1500 less

js.lawn
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Do those Ferris shock absorbers really work? When I demo'd the machine I felt that they were so stiff that it really defeated the purpose of having them and Im 6'6 and weigh 260lbs

lol ur a big boy yes i feel they do im 6 ft and 220 i just dont get the rough ride u get with others the shocks can be ajusted on my z 2000 just my opinion on it and the money that doesnt have to b spent on the big name machines

T Total Lawncare
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the reply fellows.

Jay Ray
03-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the reply fellows.

That sounds pricey to me, as I understand it to be not quite a full Lazer, but sort of an entry level Lazer. But it is better than $6299 for the new Craftsman Z.

Eclipse
03-06-2008, 12:54 AM
That sounds pricey to me, as I understand it to be not quite a full Lazer, but sort of an entry level Lazer. But it is better than $6299 for the new Craftsman Z.

It by no means is entry level. You are correct that is not quite a full Lazer but the changes are rather insignificant IMO. For my money I would not spend an extra $1000-$1500 for a full Lazer as the AS is one heck of a machine for less.

IMO unless you really want a Triton deck there is no reason to buy a standard Lazer.

cemeteryman
03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
It by no means is entry level. You are correct that is not quite a full Lazer but the changes are rather insignificant IMO. For my money I would not spend an extra $1000-$1500 for a full Lazer as the AS is one heck of a machine for less.

IMO unless you really want a Triton deck there is no reason to buy a standard Lazer.

There is another reason to want the Lazer if you want the vanguard 31hp big block. I have tried the smaller engines and now that I have had a couple machines with the 31 hp I don't ever see going to a smaller engine. I mow a lot of leaves in the fall and the big block is the first engine that I have used that blew right through them.

blind04
03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
That sounds very fair to me. Around here the price for that exact same mower starts at $8800. With some wheelin' and dealin' it can be bought for less.

i dont know man. that seems high for the AS model. i would say it was pretty good for the lazer Z model. there are some very big differences between the two models and unless your a home owner i would never buy a mower as big a the 60" in any model less than the lazer Z.

wiseguyslawn
03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
what does everyone think of the lazer hp 56"

mowerchick
03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
The 28 Kawi AS (60") is on sale right now for $7999 (in our area, not sure if its nationwide) because of a factory promo going on right now. Regular commercial sale price on that is $8999 and regular price on the 28 Kawi Z (60") is $9999. Now, some diferences on the 2 are:
1.) the controls for the AS are between your legs and on the Z they are on your right side
2.) the Z has the semi-pneumatic tires in front (no-flats) and the AS has the regular tire- but you can upgrade to those tires if you wish,
3.)the fuel capacity on the AS is 11.0 gallons and the Z has a capacity of 13.5 gallons,
4.) the ground speed on the AS is 9.5 forward and 6.1 reverse and on the Z forward is 10.0 and reverse is 6.3mph
5.) the AS has the 5.5" deep Ultra Cut deck and the Z has the 6" Triton deck
6.) the weight of the AS is 1130lbs and the Z is 1360 lbs.
7.) different blade spindles
8.) the Z has a fuel guage on the control panel on the right side with throttle and etc and the AS does not have a fuel guage.

Some simularities: Heavy duty air filter system, 12cc Hydro pumps, same size drive tires, steering and motion control systems, equipped with quick lift deck assist and a blade tip speed of 18,500fpm.

I have the 2008 brochure in front of me!

Just my 2 cents! :)

wiseguyslawn
03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
r u sure about the controls being between ur legs on the AS? The website does not show that but could have chaned for 2008. If this is true the AS is definetly out for me very uncomfortable in my opinion.

wiseguyslawn
03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
this would resemble the navigator correct?

mowerchick
03-06-2008, 11:53 AM
No, you are misunderstanding. When I say controls, I mean: the throttle, choke, keyswitch, and PTO switch. Hope that clarifies it.

wiseguyslawn
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
ok see what ur saying now

T Total Lawncare
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Last year another dealer had them for 7800 plus tax. So I knew 8000 was inflated a little. If that other dealer had them for 7800 I could have probably got his for 7600. The price to make that mower does not flux that much in a year, but they want you to think it does. It all has to do with what time of year it is and how many units the distributor or company has on hand. Catch them toward the end of the season with to many left in inventory and they will make you a better deal. I used to have a friend that worked for a dealer and he told me pretty much how the scheme works. Some dealers will move more or less than the others. The prices are inflated enough to move some, that way you think you got a great deal. It is just the nature of business.

mowerchick
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
So, rising fuel costs and steel costs don't affect manufacturing plants, like it does everyone else? Interesting...

Kut Kidd
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Is 1932hrs on 2003 Exmark lazer 60" exessive. If so what would be more acceptable amount of hrs?

Eclipse
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
5.) the AS has the 5.5" deep Ultra Cut deck and the Z has the 6" Triton deck

I am pretty sure you can still get the UC deck on a Z. At least you can with a 27HP Kohler.

RGM
03-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Is 1932hrs on 2003 Exmark lazer 60" exessive. If so what would be more acceptable amount of hrs?

I have about 2600 hrs and still running strong
if you take care of you z you could get 4000hrs or more

T Total Lawncare
03-06-2008, 02:26 PM
So, rising fuel costs and steel costs don't affect manufacturing plants, like it does everyone else? Interesting...

Not to the point you think it does. I guarantee the same mowers they want 8000 for now will be 77 or 7800 at the end of the season. Did the cost of making the mower go down at the end of the year? I think not. You don't think they already have taken price of steel and gas into their contingency plan when they build the mower or do you really think it cost close to 8000 dollars to build one mower. The name of the game is supply and demand. That is the biggest cause of price fluxuation you will see throughout the year.

mowerchick
03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I am pretty sure you can still get the UC deck on a Z. At least you can with a 27HP Kohler.

Yes, you can get the UltraCut deck on the Z with a 27 hp Kohler (the model is LZ27KC604). That is the only "Z" that you can get the UC on. YOu can still get the "Z" with the triton also (LZ27KC605)

Kut Kidd
03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I have about 2600 hrs and still running strong
if you take care of you z you could get 4000hrs or more

Thanks RGM
I've seen quite a few mowers with 1K plus hrs, with a few years age and was currious

cemeteryman
03-07-2008, 09:09 AM

I ran an Exmark lazer z with 60" deck 27hp Kohler and the engine seemed underpowered in thick spring growth and in the leaves of fall. I have had 23hp kohler on 60" deck in the past and seemed to have more power than the 27hp. Just my experience. Now I run 31hp Briggs vanguard lots of power.:weightlifter:

blind04
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I ran an Exmark lazer z with 60" deck 27hp Kohler and the engine seemed underpowered in thick spring growth and in the leaves of fall. I have had 23hp kohler on 60" deck in the past and seemed to have more power than the 27hp. Just my experience. Now I run 31hp Briggs vanguard lots of power.:weightlifter:

this depends on the deck, one of the best mower setups i have ever run is my exmark 23 kohler on a 60" ultra cut deck. but i have heard that on the triton deck it is no where near enough power, not even the 27 is enough.

wiseguyslawn
03-07-2008, 11:55 AM
thought the triton deck was more expensive and more productive, how would the 23 hp kaw run with a 56" triton as in the lazer hp model.

Eclipse
03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
thought the triton deck was more expensive and more productive, how would the 23 hp kaw run with a 56" triton as in the lazer hp model.

My dealer is not very fond of that mower. Their dislike is not from the Triton design itself because they do not dislike the 60" Triton on the full size Z but something about the 23HP HP with the 56" Triton. The biggest complaint was not enough HP for that deck and the cut quality suffed some.

FWIW - I have 52" Lazer Z HP's with the 23HP Kaw and Trivantage deck and I think they are a great mower.

06er
03-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Toro does not own exmark, Exmark owns toro. Their wbs are made side by side in the same plant, same frames different decks and controls. I own a toro wb 36" 15 kohler and exmark lazer z hp with 50" triton 21hp kawasaki. Exmark wb controls are way ahead of toros, I prefer a exmark wb to a toro. I am super happy wirh my lazer hp w/ titon deck. I wouldnt be ashamed to own a toro z master. It all comes down to your price range and dealer quality, as both brands are good machines.

Roger
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Toro does not own exmark, Exmark owns toro. ...

I think this statement is wrong. Here is a link on the Toro web site:

http://www.thetorocompany.com/companyinfo/brands.html

Exmark is listed as a brand under the Toro name.

Or, go to page 5 of this SEC filing:

http://esignal.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingCONVPDF1?SessionID=En_BWdxV_Y1hJwB&ID=5613250

Again, Exmark is listed as a brand under the Toro banner. This filing is one of the Toro company. Exmark does not have such filings.

Conclusion: Exmark is owned by Toro, along with several other brand names (e.g. LawnBoy).

TeeBox
03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I think this statement is wrong. Here is a link on the Toro web site:

http://www.thetorocompany.com/companyinfo/brands.html

Exmark is listed as a brand under the Toro name.

Or, go to page 5 of this SEC filing:

http://esignal.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingCONVPDF1?SessionID=En_BWdxV_Y1hJwB&ID=5613250

Again, Exmark is listed as a brand under the Toro banner. This filing is one of the Toro company. Exmark does not have such filings.

Conclusion: Exmark is owned by Toro, along with several other brand names (e.g. LawnBoy).

I agree and if I remember right the exmark rep on this site said toro owned them.

cgaengineer
03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Toro does not own exmark, Exmark owns toro. Their wbs are made side by side in the same plant, same frames different decks and controls. I own a toro wb 36" 15 kohler and exmark lazer z hp with 50" triton 21hp kawasaki. Exmark wb controls are way ahead of toros, I prefer a exmark wb to a toro. I am super happy wirh my lazer hp w/ titon deck. I wouldnt be ashamed to own a toro z master. It all comes down to your price range and dealer quality, as both brands are good machines.

Toro does in fact own Exmark, but the mowers are very different. Frames are different, uprights are different, Toros linkage is on the inside of the uprights and the Exmarks are on the outside. My dealer sells both and I looked at both side by side before my purchase. Toro has a 40", Exmark does not.

Exmark controls are not way ahead either (IMHO), have you looked at the T2 yet? Nothing against the ECS (Many people like it), but I like the more I squeeze the faster it goes, not the other way around. On my Toro if I want to stop the mower I take my hands off the levers, no safety to worry about. Somebody correct me if I am wrong about the ECS controls (Squeeze to stop?).

wiseguyslawn
03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
i agree bought the toro for the t2 controls very easy and comfortable my zero turns are all exmark. I think exmark is priced right compared to the toro

cgaengineer
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
For those using a ZTR the T2 controls are natural, same basic concept, just smaller.

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I asked my exmark dealer (personal friend of ours) if they have had any complaints on the Triton deck. He looked at me and shook his head yes. I asked if there was alot of complaints and again he shook his head yes. I asked if the fix exmark came out with fixed the complaints and this time he shook his head no. Then after a customer walked out of the showroom he told me the fix did help some but he said for the most part the guys that bought them are still unhappy and that the Triton doesnt even come close to the cut quality of the UltraCut deck.

cgaengineer
03-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I was left with a bad taste in my mouth from the Exmark Metro 26" so I will have to pass on future Exmark purchase until Exmark can refund me the difference of what I lost when I sold the 26". Come on Exmark, step up to the plate and admit your faults!

Roger
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
...Come on Exmark, step up to the plate and admit your faults!

I think Exmark has admitted their faults. The initial design apparently had many faults. The bad design features were addressed and significant changes were made. They wouldn't have made those changes if they didn't think there were problems with the initial design. Isn't this "stepping up to the plate ...?"

I seemed to recall many threads of those who bought last year's model being pleased with the machine. They were not experiencing the huge problems of the early models.

lifetree
03-07-2008, 09:38 PM
i know these machines are almost the same but does anyone have a preference.

Of the 2 machines, I prefer Toro !!

cgaengineer
03-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I think Exmark has admitted their faults. The initial design apparently had many faults. The bad design features were addressed and significant changes were made. They wouldn't have made those changes if they didn't think there were problems with the initial design. Isn't this "stepping up to the plate ...?"

I seemed to recall many threads of those who bought last year's model being pleased with the machine. They were not experiencing the huge problems of the early models.

The model I bought was last years model, it was under powered. The problems with stuff breaking had been fixed, but the low powered engine was still being used. My Kawi was burning oil in 6 months from the strain placed on it from the large blade.

I am not knocking Exmark, but I wont buy one because of that mower is all I am saying.

Roger
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM
The model I bought was last years model, it was under powered.

Good information. There were many concerns about the power before the mower came out, but that was not a complaint after people started using the machine (all kinds of other complaints). The additional leverage with different pulley sizes, and the faster running engine seemed to be satisfactory, eliminating the initial concerns. I thought the consensus was that the fears of underpowered were never fulfilled. What were you cutting?

Military Lawns
03-07-2008, 10:56 PM
It all comes down to preference. They are both good mowers and though I own all Toro's, I would not hesitate to put an Exmark in the starting line-up. The reason I picked Toro is because of dealer support. You will find some dealers just want to sell equipment. Others want to sell and service equipment.

Hope this helps.

DJ-

cgaengineer
03-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Good information. There were many concerns about the power before the mower came out, but that was not a complaint after people started using the machine (all kinds of other complaints). The additional leverage with different pulley sizes, and the faster running engine seemed to be satisfactory, eliminating the initial concerns. I thought the consensus was that the fears of underpowered were never fulfilled. What were you cutting?

I was using it to cut Bermuda, it struggled in 2nd gear, most of the time I was in 1st gear and even then I would have to back off the clutch. It would probably be ok if you cut your lawn every 2 days with a razor sharp blade or if you removed the governor and cranked the RPM's up. I hated that mower with a passion.

Cutting Edge Lawn Mowing
03-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Toro owns exmark,The zero turn mowers are almost the same except for the decks.I priced out both and ended up buying the exmark because it was a much better deal for the money.The service that I get from my Exmark dealer is far superior than that of my Toro dealer.

tb8100
06-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Been using these for 6+ years now, they don't make a better Wb for less than T-bar gear drive Toros.
Everything else is either overpriced or garbage in comparison.

But for 21's and Ztr's, I find other brands do as well if not better.

Around here, the Exmark ECS gear drives are the same price or less....

S man
06-01-2008, 11:32 PM
one word.............. eXmark!!!